Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: DIESEL Mobil /Fort Richie Sign - Mon Apr 18 2011 08:26 PM
pretty cool find i thought i would share,wow its a pain to get the paint off ,but rewarding! the frame is porcelain up top "blue porcelain" i thought that was different! i will post a pic when finished ,but at this rate, it will probably bee a few weeks!

Attached picture _1.jpg
Attached picture _3.jpg
Attached picture _4.jpg
Attached picture _2.jpg
Posted By: 1970mach Re: Mobil /Fort Richie Sign - Mon Apr 18 2011 08:36 PM
Is the sign porcelain as well? if not how are you removing the paint Chris?
Posted By: marxmobilgas Re: Mobil /Fort Richie Sign - Mon Apr 18 2011 08:56 PM
Chris
Citristrip worked well for my coke sign with house paint on it.

pleasant smell, apply and wait for it to fall off
Posted By: DIESEL Re: Mobil /Fort Richie Sign - Mon Apr 18 2011 09:21 PM
Yea Colin the sign is DSP porcelain & the whole frame is porcelain too,i have never seen that before-

mark i will have to try that,i went & bought paint thinner & have used a razor blade ,but its some work,hopefully that will be a easier way "using citristrip" i was also thinking about using a paint stripper "wipe on/wipe off action"
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Mobil /Fort Richie Sign - Mon Apr 18 2011 11:11 PM
Great Results from using "Citri-strip!"

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Took less than an hour to clean 'er up! smile
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Mobil /Fort Richie Sign - Tue Apr 19 2011 12:44 AM
POUR the paint stripper on & move around w/ a brush. Keep out of direct sun as it will flash off before lifting paint, better yet pour on in evening & let sit overnight.
Posted By: 1970mach Re: Mobil /Fort Richie Sign - Tue Apr 19 2011 12:59 AM
I agree with DB. I thought maybe the sign was painted. If both are porcelain it will not take too long with paint stripper. You can be done in an hour!
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Mobil /Fort Richie Sign - Tue Apr 19 2011 01:06 AM
Paint thinner isn't going to do too much. It's Lacquer thinner you want and can use on Porcelain. With Citri-strip, You spray it on and let it sit for 30-40 minutes and then wipe it off with rags and use a razor blade for the tough spots. Use the lacquer thinner to clean the sign off from the stripper residue. I wipe it down twice.
Posted By: moore798 Re: Mobil /Fort Richie Sign - Tue Apr 19 2011 01:28 AM
WHERE CAN THIS CITRI-STRIP BE FOUND.I AM UNFAMILIAR.LACQUER THINNER AND RAZOR BLADE HAS ALWAYS WORKED PRETTY WELL FOR ME.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Mobil /Fort Richie Sign - Tue Apr 19 2011 01:38 AM
In the last 10+ years most house paints are Vinyl Base, Paint Thinner is a waste of time & Lacquer Thinner will flash off too soon to be of any good
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Mobil /Fort Richie Sign - Tue Apr 19 2011 09:35 AM
Easy Off oven cleaner will work too, spray it on, wait 10-20 minutes, hose it off or wipe with steel mool
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Mobil /Fort Richie Sign - Tue Apr 19 2011 11:11 AM
HOME DEPOT AND LOWE'S SHOULD HAVE THE "CITRI-STRIP." ABOUT $8-9 A CAN.

*It's aerosol BTW....not brush on!
Posted By: jackofalltrades Re: Mobil /Fort Richie Sign - Tue Apr 19 2011 01:23 PM
Doc, that Coke sign is awesome. A nice find for sure.
Posted By: BIGTOM Re: Mobil /Fort Richie Sign - Tue Apr 19 2011 03:26 PM
Originally Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Great Results from using "Citri-strip!"

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Took less than an hour to clean 'er up! smile

UNBELIEVEABLE!!! Even more incredible - that someone would do that to a sign like that. I guess it pretty much preserved the Coke artwork. GREAT results!!! The best thing about Citrus Strip is that it doesn't burn your hands, and the smell is great!!!
Posted By: DIESEL Re: Mobil /Fort Richie Sign - Tue Apr 19 2011 04:27 PM
Heres 1 side ,looks as if sign was used as target practice lol! "WHO CAN HIT THE HORSEY", the other side looks alot nicer ,i will post a pic when completely finished! the stripper worked wonders & thanks again!

Attached picture _1.jpg
Posted By: marxmobilgas Re: Mobil /Fort Richie Sign - Tue Apr 19 2011 04:41 PM
Citristrip is at home depot
its a creamy orange color, cant miss it

And I rinsed with thinner or used a plastic scraper(which melts)
Posted By: Nicole Re: Mobil /Fort Richie Sign - Tue Apr 19 2011 10:28 PM
Citris guys...does that work on removing oil and latex (ie.acrilic) paint?
Posted By: thermactor Re: Mobil /Fort Richie Sign - Thu Apr 21 2011 02:22 AM
As far as I know, it will remove oil and latex paint. A lot of us, including me, have had great luck with it not damaging porcelain. I use the liquid (not aerosol spray). It will burn your hand though, with prolonged exposure.

Wes
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Mobil /Fort Richie Sign - Thu Apr 21 2011 10:46 AM
Always Use:

Gloves
Long sleeves
Eye protection
Well ventilated work area
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk