Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: oilman514 goodyear sign - Sat Apr 23 2011 11:46 PM
around a month ago i got a big porcelain goodyear sign that was missing alot of the sign so since my dad does decorative cuts in concrete like car emblems and patterns i had him cut out what i wanted from the sign and make a new one out of it so he got out the grinder and made me an awesome sign. all 3 pieces are from the same sign and are chained together. it not an original sign but atleast its made from one.

Thanks
Robert

Attached picture goodyear dad made.jpg
Attached picture goodyear.jpg
Posted By: advertologist Re: goodyear sign - Sat Apr 23 2011 11:53 PM
did a nice job & it looks better
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: goodyear sign - Sat Apr 23 2011 11:57 PM
Very nice, Worth more now than before
Posted By: 1970mach Re: goodyear sign - Sun Apr 24 2011 12:06 AM
Looks much better!. Just a suggestion though, I would put a longer chain on the heel of the shoe so it will be tipped like original Goodyear signs. That flat shoe looks odd on a goodyear gign
Posted By: Dale Stephens Re: goodyear sign - Sun Apr 24 2011 02:16 AM
Sorry...
Posted By: Vermonter Re: goodyear sign - Sun Apr 24 2011 09:29 PM
Good idea and yes, try the longer chain on the heel side of the shoe.
John
Posted By: always lookin Re: goodyear sign - Mon Apr 25 2011 02:21 PM
Cool idea Robert. You took a worthless piece and made it cool and worth something.
Posted By: BIGTOM Re: goodyear sign - Mon Apr 25 2011 03:03 PM
VERY creative, looks clean
Posted By: 1970mach Re: goodyear sign - Mon Apr 25 2011 09:38 PM
How did you cut the porcelain without getting any edge damage/chipping?
Posted By: oilman514 Re: goodyear sign - Tue Apr 26 2011 12:53 AM
thanks very much for the compliments and suggestions guys. my dad cut it with the grinder and i also thought the porcelain would chip but it didnt and the edges were sharp so he grinded them down smooth he has already started on a couple more bad signs i have laying around and probably going to make another of these since we have one more goodyear left. a guy came this morning and bought a truck load of signs off me and he ended up getting this one for $150 so my dad turned nothing in to 150 pretty easily

Thanks
Robert
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: goodyear sign - Tue Apr 26 2011 11:08 AM
I wonder if a plasma cutter would do a nice sharp edge with the porcelain???

Anybody?
Posted By: lordparaffin Re: goodyear sign - Tue Apr 26 2011 06:14 PM
A plasma cuts at very high concentrated temps and if you cut from the back I believe it would work. Old porcelain is so thick I'm not sure the plasma would get ground from the front without some kind of starter hole to reveal the bare metal edge. Being the glass would be melted, I would expect a smooth edge but my concern would be warping especially on long cuts. Unless someone experiments on an old sign and gives us some news either way, I can only speculate based on welding experience.
Posted By: oilman514 Re: goodyear sign - Tue Apr 26 2011 06:26 PM
a local collector i know has had a good experience using plasma to cut a porcelain sign and yes it did come out with a smooth edge because the glass did melt unlike using the grinder
Posted By: 1970mach Re: goodyear sign - Wed Apr 27 2011 09:38 AM
I havein the past seen some bad signs but the logos were good. I would have bought them to just cut the logo out, but was always concerned about the heat generated from a plasma cutter that we have at the shop. If I come across a really bad sign I will experiment.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk