Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: hotrodfun1 CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Sun May 01 2011 05:29 AM
I PICKED UP THIS AMERICAN CLOCK FACE PUMP UP TODAY.IT WAS LEANING AGAINST THE BARN FOR 45 YEARS.HOPE YOU LIKE MY FIRST CLOCK FACE.

Description: PIC
Attached picture CLOCK FACE PUMP1.jpg
Posted By: 1PetroFan Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Sun May 01 2011 11:39 AM
WOW!!! Workd can't express how much I like that pump. That would be my Find of the Decade! Brady
Posted By: powerlube Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Sun May 01 2011 12:14 PM
HOME RUN
Posted By: Kyle Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Sun May 01 2011 12:24 PM
Holy Cow!! What a find. Lucky you.
Posted By: Ron Scobie Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Sun May 01 2011 12:41 PM
Great find. Let me know if you need faces, hands, visi etc.
American made two versions of that pump. The cast iron tops (and corner posts) are different as well as the spears.
Ron
Posted By: philmccauley Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Sun May 01 2011 12:44 PM
A great find, most of us will look a life time and never find one of those. Take plenty of pictures when you restore it.
Posted By: hancock-oil Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Sun May 01 2011 01:00 PM
That is one KILLER Clock Face!!!!
Posted By: publicenemy1925 Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Sun May 01 2011 01:10 PM
Woooooooooooohooooooooooooooooo!!
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Sun May 01 2011 01:34 PM
SCORE EXTREME!
Posted By: jeff anderson Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Sun May 01 2011 02:00 PM
Congrats!! Nice to start at the top and work down! Your PM box is probably getting full but you will never find another so keep it! I don't care what book says you just found 10K
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Sun May 01 2011 02:18 PM
Sweet!
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Sun May 01 2011 03:05 PM
Thanks for all the reply. I am very happy to have this i found it friday and the guy said that he sold the pump about a month for $50.00 and the guy never came and got it.So i made him an offer and he said he would call the guy and see if he would take my offer he was going to take it for scrap iron. He called me friday night and said the guy wanted a hundred more then i offered and i said no problem and thank you,and the guy where the pump was was not going to be home saturday and said i could come get it in a week i started to panic and told him i would leave the money in a can and pick up the pump in the morning and he said sounds good but the pump was very heave 45 years ago so good luck.the best part i only had my 97 chevy cavlier and the wife and boy and no truck and was 400 miles from home so i called my daughter and hade her bring my truck to where we stayed,then we left to get the pump and my daughter left for home and as i was about 10 miles from the pump she called and said she blew up the moter in my car.so she waited at the car and we loaded the pump and left for her about 170 miles away from the pump. Got to her and left the car at a farm house,any way that is the story of the pump. I am very happy to have the pump the hardest thing i have ever had to try to get.........
Posted By: lordparaffin Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Sun May 01 2011 04:03 PM
I guess you did score. When we were talking on the phone you told me you were going to look around. I guess the flat part of the state paid off!
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Sun May 01 2011 04:06 PM
Hey Scott--Great find! Once in a lifetime sort of thing! I've found some great pumps before but that is the ultimate! Great story about all the problems and persistence involved too! Something that you'll remember for all of your life and can pass on to the grand kids! I can't wait to get a look at it one day!---KEVIN
Posted By: D Phillips Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Sun May 01 2011 05:18 PM
Not sure what happened, but nice pump!
Posted By: 1 BAD ZR1 Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Sun May 01 2011 09:51 PM
Awesome find Scott. You will remember that time for years to come. That is such a great pump to find. I chased the exact pump about 10 miles from DeKalb for 15 years and one day the owner just up and sold it to someone else that came to the door.. The way it goes. CONGRATULATIONS ! Rob
Posted By: sanford Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Mon May 02 2011 01:26 AM
That is one NICE looking pump!! Great score.
Posted By: racecop Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Mon May 02 2011 05:26 AM
Great Job. Awesome pump. I agree with Mr. Anderson easy $10,000.
Posted By: BIGTOM Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Mon May 02 2011 03:26 PM
WOW, what a beauty - I got all nervous and freaked out just reading your adventure when you got the pump. To heck with the Cavalier, you scored THAT pump!!! You can always buy another Cavalier - but like everyone has said - not always get a chance at a pump like that. CONGRATS!!!
Posted By: Pogo's Garage Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Mon May 02 2011 03:36 PM
Congratulations on a great find!
Posted By: DIESEL Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Mon May 02 2011 04:05 PM
CONGRATS ON THE FIND!
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Tue May 03 2011 01:22 AM
DOES ANYBODY HAVE A PICTURE OF ONE RESTORED AND SHOULD I RESTORE IT OR NOT?
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Tue May 03 2011 01:54 AM
How about a better picture of it Scott? We could give you better advice with a better picture.
Posted By: racecop Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Tue May 03 2011 02:38 AM
Don't restore it!!
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Tue May 03 2011 02:42 AM
here are some more pics hope they are better i need a new camera. And my daughter that blew up my car.............

Attached picture clock face pump pic1.jpg
Attached picture clock face pump pic2.jpg
Attached picture clock face pump pic3.jpg
Attached picture clock face pump pic4.jpg
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Tue May 03 2011 02:43 AM
more pics

Attached picture clock face pump pic5.jpg
Attached picture clock face pump pic6.jpg
Attached picture clock face pump pic7.jpg
Attached picture clock face pump pic8.jpg
Posted By: Pogo's Garage Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Tue May 03 2011 02:45 AM
It's only original once, and I would be proud to own it as is, but it's your pump, do whatever makes you happy! If.........you plan to sell it down the road it will be worth more unrestored.
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Tue May 03 2011 02:52 AM
Nice find!!!!!!!!
My advice- Do not sell it!
Do not restore it!
Do not gut it!
It is worth more unrestored in my opinion.
Like Lance said only original once.
Enjoy,
Rob
Posted By: BIGTOM Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Tue May 03 2011 04:03 PM
Why would this pump be worth more unrestored? I understand the patina etc - but I would think it would be more desireable if it were restored.
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Tue May 03 2011 09:19 PM
THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT REPLYS. DOES ANYBODY HAVE A PICTURE OF ONE RESTORED. TRYING TO SEE WHAT THE VISI-GAUGE LOOKS LIKE, SO I CAN TRY TO FIND THE ORIGANAL. THANKS FOR AND HELP OR LEADS ON THE RIGHT ONE.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Tue May 03 2011 11:48 PM
BigTom,
How many pumps have you seen in collections in As Found Condition?
Not many & there are Less every day being saved As Found.
Most of us older guys Wished that we had saved some of the Great Pumps we found in As Found Condition W/ Decals/Signs & Globes still in GREAT Condition, 30+ yrs ago.
Posted By: gasoildude Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Tue May 03 2011 11:49 PM
That is a great find. It is a great looking art deco pump. Very nice find again smile
Posted By: BIGTOM Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Tue May 03 2011 11:57 PM
DB, that makes sense - I didn't think about it that way. I guess the true rare pumps are the ones that dont need restoration and are just cool as they are when they are discovered.

Thanks for the clarification

BIGTOM
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Wed May 04 2011 12:13 AM
Jason Roach has a G&B 97 Polly pump I found an Couldn't get a couple guys to paint the way I wanted. I gave up an sold the pump As Found less guts. It has been sold 2 more times in As Found when Jason bought it.
Kyle Moore had a Bowser 97 in his collection that was found in the Original Shipping Crate [manufactured 1922-1926].

Having a Freshly painted pump is like having a New Baby in the house, they all look about the same, but I like having an antique old fart in the house, they have a personality.
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Wed May 04 2011 01:51 AM
Also a fact that an unrestored good pump may be anything including just the way it is. Once it is painted then the guy who wants it red will not pay as much if it is green. Found this out the hard way. Unrestored can be anything as long as you have the whole pump.
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Wed May 04 2011 02:22 AM
Thanks for all the comment.This was the best find i have ever found i think and i have had some good stuff i think aver the last 25+ years and probley the best buy of them all LOL
Posted By: BIGTOM Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Wed May 04 2011 03:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Kyle Moore had a Bowser 97 in his collection that was found in the Original Shipping Crate [manufactured 1922-1926].

:EYES POPPING: That is incredible! I would like to see a photo of that pump - is Kyle on oldgas?

too cool!

BIGTOM
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Thu May 05 2011 02:44 AM
PICTURES OF THE TOP.

Attached picture clock face top1.jpg
Attached picture clock face top2.jpg
Posted By: minuteman Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Thu May 05 2011 04:03 AM
here is 2 other different tops than yours..

Attached picture IMG_0211 (Small).jpg
Attached picture IMG_0208 (Small).jpg
Attached picture IMG_0212 (Small).jpg
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Thu May 05 2011 04:07 AM
How many tops did they make? I am trying to find the right vise-gauge for mine.
Posted By: gasmelincelr Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Thu May 05 2011 12:08 PM
Congrats, nice pump!
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Thu May 05 2011 01:58 PM
I am looking for the vise-gauge that is pictured on the blue pump any help or leads would be great thanks scott
Posted By: BIGTOM Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Thu May 05 2011 03:44 PM
HOLY COW, that top on the blue pump is GREAT!!! MAN, the Art Deco influence on this pump is incredible!!! Now, if I can only scrape together $10k I'd be ready to go!!! LOL
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Thu May 05 2011 05:28 PM
Thanks i think i am going to replace the glass and try to find the vis-gauge and a brass gas nozzle,and the hose and leave it that way. Now i have to deside if it goes in the new house or out side the house the wife will only let me have one in the house.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Thu May 05 2011 05:31 PM
Because your top is not made for a globe, I'd bet it was made for Adv Glass option.

Attached picture American Top.jpg
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Thu May 05 2011 05:59 PM
Ya sounds right. The guy said when he was a kid they got gas at the station and it was always like that and then they took it down and they took it to the farm 45 years ago and it was there ever sense.There is also a picture of two in GAS STATION MEMORABILIA SECOND EDITION ON PAGE 12 The one to the right early model also has a diffent top and visi-gauge??????????? Mine looks right there is no spot for s light to go up there also.I am looking for any pictures of these pumps,and help would be great.Thanks scott
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Fri May 06 2011 03:16 PM
Thanks glad you all like.sorry about the bad pictures of the pump.
Posted By: BIGTOM Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Fri May 06 2011 03:25 PM
Originally Posted By: hotrodfun1
Thanks i think i am going to replace the glass and try to find the vis-gauge and a brass gas nozzle,and the hose and leave it that way. Now i have to deside if it goes in the new house or out side the house the wife will only let me have one in the house.

WHAT? That wouldn't be a hard decision for me - this new clock-face pump goes in the house, I wouldn't leave that high dollar pump unsupervised EVER.
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Fri May 06 2011 05:37 PM
LOL ya that is where it is going to go..........now i have to find a couple buddys with good backs to help that might take some time LOL Any volanteers??????????
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Mon May 09 2011 09:58 PM
Does anybody now if the american cash recorder pump sold at the IOWA GAS. I THINK IS WAS LAST YEARS PICTURE I SEEN IT IN. THERE WAS NO YEAR ON THE PICTURE.AND WHO WAS THE OWNER??????
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Wed May 11 2011 01:36 AM
Will here is what i have found out about this type of pump they where made in 1934 only.and are very hard to find,lol that is all the info so far anybody have any other help,like pictures how many they made or how the cash recorder part worked when used and how long they made cash recorder pumps.Or anybody that might know more about these pumps thanks for any help just trying to do history on this type of pump.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Wed May 11 2011 03:53 AM
With the invention of the Veeder Root [owned in part/whole by WAYNE PUMP & TANK] other pump companies didn't like paying a royalty to the competitor for use of each VR, so they tried making their own calculators [ie; Bennett 134, 154, 155, Dayton 1230, 1420 & most other companies]. Eventually all states REQUIRED the use of the VR for selling to the General Public as they were Accurate & Dependable.
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Wed May 11 2011 04:39 AM
Thanks for the help dick. Do you know where to get more info on the cash record like how to clean and make them work with out breaking a bunch of stuff or should i leave mine alone?? and what brass gas nozzel it took.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Wed May 11 2011 06:07 AM
I have a BENNETT 154 meter & I AIN'T gonna take it apart. Did take a VR apart once & trashed it, only do the wheels now!
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Wed May 11 2011 01:14 PM
I am not going to touch mine.That is what i thought about this that i would break somrthing.thanks for the help
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Wed May 11 2011 02:37 PM
Send it to Joe Yocom, he needs something to do while he's Sleeping/Healing!
Posted By: jkyocom Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Wed May 11 2011 03:57 PM
never done a double clock Cash Register
would love to see some pics of the unit
Posted By: powerlube Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Wed May 11 2011 04:43 PM
They have these price gears that press into the face that dictate the ratio of the gas to price. Very hard to find them ore for anyone to know what they are.

One pump I wish I had never sold....
Posted By: frankpl Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Wed May 11 2011 04:54 PM
I may still have a few of those price plates with the gears if anybody needs one ...Frank
Posted By: BLange Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Sun May 15 2011 03:47 PM
Originally Posted By: powerlube
HOME RUN

Walk off grand slam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Vermonter Re: CLOCK FACE PUMP FIND - Mon May 16 2011 02:17 AM
Yeah, ok. You can stop looking now. You found the Holy Grail!
Congrats,
John
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk