Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: K W FRITH Painted the Old Way! - Mon Oct 03 2011 10:01 PM
About a month back, I purchased 3 pumps from old gasser "Koolmotor" and I really didn't have any plans for them. They stood in storage until I was able to get around to doing an internals removal and I accomplished that on the Bennett and the MS 70.
I decided to haul the MS 70 home and get it cleaned up and ready for selling and I decided that since the paint wasn't too bad, I'd sand it a little and then polish it up a bit!
OK, so one thing led to another and before you know it, I had decided to use it as an outside display pump but didn't want to spend the money necessary for a total restoration. I thought about how they took care of the appearance in the old days and how most of the pumps that I've been involved with had about 3 to 4 coats of paint. Well, I knew they didn't unbolt them and haul them to the body shop for a makeover, so I decided to give this pump a face lift the old fashioned way with a rapid sanding and a paint brush!
About halfway thru, I was wishing that I hadn't started but was determined to finish the job anyway! I learned a few things along the way, especially about thinning the paint. LOL Theres still one panel that I will have to remove and refinish one day, but for now it'll have to do! Now all I need is an outside globe that I won't worry about!
I've attached a picture of the pump before I started (the one in the middle) and again , after I finished today!

Attached picture All 3 resized.jpg
Attached picture MS 70 resized.jpg
Posted By: advertologist Re: Painted the Old Way! - Mon Oct 03 2011 10:07 PM
one down- two to go- nice job..
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Painted the Old Way! - Mon Oct 03 2011 10:14 PM
After all that work, I think its --one down--two for sale!--LOL
Posted By: advertologist Re: Painted the Old Way! - Mon Oct 03 2011 10:24 PM
will you do mine?

Attached picture IMG_0178[1].JPG
Posted By: 55gasser Re: Painted the Old Way! - Mon Oct 03 2011 11:03 PM
Looks Good from here!!!
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: Painted the Old Way! - Tue Oct 04 2011 12:06 AM
looks good kevin. You can send me that pump on the left looks like it will go good with my 36 and 36b
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: Painted the Old Way! - Tue Oct 04 2011 12:57 AM
Nice job Kevin...Looks great with PERIOD correct paint!!!
Posted By: Thunder II Re: Painted the Old Way! - Tue Oct 04 2011 01:03 AM
GREAT JOB Kevin. Dont change a thing!
Posted By: hotcidr Re: Painted the Old Way! - Tue Oct 04 2011 01:19 AM
I love the outside pumps Kevin. I have, I think because I keep getting a different story, that I have an outside Fry coming for our new home. Love the Shell sign and if anyone reading this has a nice one for sale please let me know at hotcidr@cox.net
Posted By: MARK SMITH Re: Painted the Old Way! - Tue Oct 04 2011 01:27 AM
Looking good Kevin! Nice pump.
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Painted the Old Way! - Tue Oct 04 2011 03:07 AM
That is cool, I brush painted my M&S 70 also. I also brushed a Bennett and told my wife it was an island paint job because all I did was give it a wash job and started brushing. No sanding or masking, just slopped paint on. It looks just like some of the unrestored pumps, but fresh color.

Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Painted the Old Way! - Tue Oct 04 2011 09:34 AM
HEY IF IT LOOKS DECENT @ 20' AWAY....WHO CARES? AFTER A WHILE YOU'LL JUST WALK PAST IT AND ENJOY THE "MAKEOVER" EFFORT YOU PUT INTO IT!
Posted By: hillsideshortleg Re: Painted the Old Way! - Tue Oct 04 2011 12:12 PM
I restored 2 pumps and would never do it again. I also brush painted my 2 keepers over 10 years ago and enjoy them just as much today.
Posted By: Thunder II Re: Painted the Old Way! - Tue Oct 04 2011 12:56 PM
Originally Posted By: hillsideshortleg
I restored 2 pumps and would never do it again. I also brush painted my 2 keepers over 10 years ago and enjoy them just as much today.

Anybody wanna make the "Painted Lady" joke here?
Posted By: advertologist Re: Painted the Old Way! - Tue Oct 04 2011 01:42 PM
this post is causing me work- decided to get a qt. of red & a brush & proceed..
Posted By: LC 336 Re: Painted the Old Way! - Tue Oct 04 2011 02:11 PM
I like it, that looks good.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Painted the Old Way! - Tue Oct 04 2011 04:56 PM
I like all of those brush restorations! It's interesting to me that a lot of M&S 70's are Mobil branded. I know of an original in my area that is Mobil branded since new, still sitting out in the elements in its original state.
I have a M&S 80 in the works I plan on doing a brush resto to when I get it. It is the one my Red Crown globe was on originally. These pics have shown me just how nice these can look.
Darin
Posted By: VEEDOL_AL1 Re: Painted the Old Way! - Tue Oct 04 2011 05:50 PM
outstanding job!! i like it,,getting back to basics,,..alan
Posted By: VEEDOL_AL1 Re: Painted the Old Way! - Tue Oct 04 2011 05:51 PM
ok jeff!!! lets hear it..or is it to bad to put on here???
Posted By: VEEDOL_AL1 Re: Painted the Old Way! - Tue Oct 04 2011 05:52 PM
i love it kevin..leave it as is !!!
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Painted the Old Way! - Tue Oct 04 2011 05:59 PM
I think I need an ad glass top for it! I sure like the way they look on top. Anyone know where I can get one?
Posted By: JimT Re: Painted the Old Way! - Wed Oct 05 2011 12:51 AM
I agree Kevin Those tops make a good looking pump even nicer.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk