Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Pug}{maN im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 12 2012 12:12 AM
so i just got the keys to a 1920's filling station that was in lowry city mo. and moved to my town in 1996 at the grounds at the Western Missouri Antique Tractor & Machinery Association , the old man that is over it is not doing so hot so i took it over....

i was given free rain to get it up to the point of a asset instead of storage..

came with a lot of cool stuff inside.. what im looing for from you guys is help deciding what to do with it useing the stuff inside and out.. like colors and things...

the 66 sine is 2 sided , so i think it will go on the post to the side...

some stuff inside..

Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 12 2012 12:15 AM
Very cool!
Posted By: Pug}{maN Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 12 2012 12:15 AM
this is kinda what i was looking at doing ?

and some pics of the work i did today...

here it is in 2007 at a show we put on comeing up june 23 24 25

Posted By: Pug}{maN Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 12 2012 12:21 AM
and i do have the globe for the pump..

Posted By: Gas globe guy Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 12 2012 12:25 AM
WOW!!!! I want won of those!! Very good job!
Posted By: Huskerscott Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 12 2012 12:47 AM
Is this the Lathrop show???
Posted By: Pug}{maN Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 12 2012 01:00 AM
no its the tractor show in adrian mo.
Posted By: eshaver Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 12 2012 01:10 AM
What ever you do, don't "Clutter " it to the point where it looks "Junky" . I have seen that in doing so called "Restored stations and it serves NO PURPOSE WHAT so ever . Set a theme , in you're case , Phillips Oil . Gather everthing you can for an EARLY phillips retail outlet and do yer homework as to color . If yer not sure , ask one of us here .

Ed Shaver
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 12 2012 01:32 AM
I agree the lubster fits & the pump,the transfer cans belong on a bulk truck. Only thing your short out front is water bucket and one more pump. Lubster was stored a lot of times against front wall. But what do I know as that station is way before my time. Colors can't help you with.
Will this stuff not be stolen if its not bolted down,I hope not.
Posted By: Pug}{maN Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 12 2012 01:32 AM
o ya please help me ! lol, i have no clue what to do, but i must say its a mix of stuff and it will stay that way , the only reason it has a 66 sine is that it was a 66 station when it was in use, the in side is going to be all oil and gas related showcase...
Posted By: HoneyBearFarm Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 12 2012 02:06 AM
The globe is from Standard Oil, and I see several Atlas items inside the building which was Standard oil products. Also, the transfer can on the left is a Standard Oil can, not sure of the others. Just glad to see another old station being preserved.

Buddy
Posted By: Nicole Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 12 2012 02:21 AM
The guy in the chair don't look like he's feeling so good! LOL

Inventory everything first of course. If you are using a 'mix of stuff' why not put them in different sections (if there is room) with a blurb about each group with maybe some photos (like a pic of a bulk truck to lead any group into gas station history, rather then them just seeing a bunch of assorted stuff.

If you want to give visitors an 'experience' perhaps keep the stuff that's a certain era? Just a suggestion...

Don't forget that 'yard' art.
Posted By: LKYSPADE Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 12 2012 02:27 AM
Very cool.
Posted By: advertologist Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 12 2012 02:32 AM
you got something there- I like.. cool
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 12 2012 03:22 AM
No matter how it turns out, you have a great building there!
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 12 2012 06:00 AM
That's cool!
Posted By: Savinsam Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 12 2012 11:25 AM
I built an old style station in 1980 at our steam / tractor show grounds. It gets lots of attention at show times, especially with the antique car buffs for photo ops. If interested, google "Portersville Steam Show" and take a look. Maybe get some ideas. Sam
Posted By: Pug}{maN Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 12 2012 11:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Savinsam
I built an old style station in 1980 at our steam / tractor show grounds. It gets lots of attention at show times, especially with the antique car buffs for photo ops. If interested, google "Portersville Steam Show" and take a look. Maybe get some ideas. Sam

i like it , and the inside is grate to...

Originally Posted By: Nicole
The guy in the chair don't look like he's feeling so good! LOL

Inventory everything first of course. If you are using a 'mix of stuff' why not put them in different sections (if there is room) with a blurb about each group with maybe some photos (like a pic of a bulk truck to lead any group into gas station history, rather then them just seeing a bunch of assorted stuff.

If you want to give visitors an 'experience' perhaps keep the stuff that's a certain era? Just a suggestion...

Don't forget that 'yard' art.

i like this idea of sections , might try to come up with a way to do it, i have a show in 2 weeks so this first time will be just geting it open...

Originally Posted By: Loyd Pierce
I agree the lubster fits & the pump,the transfer cans belong on a bulk truck. Only thing your short out front is water bucket and one more pump. Lubster was stored a lot of times against front wall. But what do I know as that station is way before my time. Colors can't help you with.
Will this stuff not be stolen if its not bolted down,I hope not.

ok guys i dont know what a lubster is or a transfer can is even ! lol. you'll need to help me here...
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 12 2012 01:11 PM
Lubster is the container with pump on top. Transfer cans are to the left in your pick out front. Looks like you have 1 ten gallon and 2 five gallon. They were used to transfer heating oil to homes etc. The tanker truck would make calls just like the milk man brought the milk when I was a kid.
Hope this helps you.Its going to be really neat when your done. As if it isn't neat already,I like it.
Posted By: Savinsam Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 12 2012 01:31 PM
Chris, dig up old photos on this site of stations in real life at the time. You'll soon get ideas as to how you'd like to see it done. Don't be in a big hurry. I received many free donations for the station at our yearly shows. Thus it brought on some "local character" from local folks! Sam
Posted By: KS 82 GT Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 12 2012 03:17 PM
Figure out what era you want to replicate and go from there. This thread ( Great Old Pics ) has lots of pictures of old stations back in the day and would be a great source of information (plus is just plain neat to go through).

I look forward to seeing it!
Posted By: VEEDOL_AL1 Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 12 2012 03:54 PM
wow what a great situation to be in!!!..i go to tractor shows because i have hit-n-miss engines,and a couple come in to my mind..in waverly neb they have a gas station and in rollag mn.they have a flying -a- station that is awesome..both are period perfect and not have a lot of stuff going on,,just plain and simple..i agree to look at old pictures to give you a good idea, as to the direction you want to go..good luck!! i wish i was in your shoes!! txs alan
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 12 2012 09:54 PM
Lubester is a Slang Name given to Oil Dispenser Pumps mounted to self contained tanks by Newbies!
ROMAN refers to WAYNE's Ionic 1924 pump,
Punkin Head refers to pumps w/ a round head ie; BOWSER 300, DAYTON 900 & WAYNE 800's.
Air Head refers to Metered Air Dispensing Equipment [& some members here!].
Posted By: azjockey Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 12 2012 11:07 PM
Air Head refers to Metered Air Dispensing Equipment [& some members here!].

Your really not talking about me again....LOL
Posted By: Pug}{maN Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Wed Jun 13 2012 01:35 AM
good good thanks guys, like i say all info is help full !

so i started to do some painting...

rember the look im going for, not way difrent than it was but it has my stamp on it...

Posted By: Pug}{maN Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Wed Jun 13 2012 11:57 AM
or do a white roof ?

Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Wed Jun 13 2012 12:50 PM
I like the look of green roof,but the white will be cooler as far as temps inside. I would think the green would fade quickly with the sun beating down on it.
Isn't Mr. Sams station neat he shared his site with me about a year ago,I still enjoy every time I pull it up and take a peek.
Posted By: eshaver Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Wed Jun 13 2012 01:01 PM
White roof ...................

Pug, did you receive my personal message I sent ?

Ed Shaver
Posted By: Pug}{maN Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Thu Jun 14 2012 01:31 AM
wow , no i did not see that little mail box thing up there ! most sites i go on have a pop up to let you know theres a pm , anyway heres some of the work i did after work , more paint and rock ! ! 1 week and 1 day till the show !

Posted By: LKYSPADE Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Thu Jun 14 2012 05:08 PM
Looking good
Posted By: Savinsam Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Thu Jun 14 2012 05:18 PM
What are your plans during show time as for vehicles? A Ford "A" or "T" or vintage motorcycle always sets a station off nicely.
Posted By: Savinsam Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Thu Jun 14 2012 05:28 PM
Just a sample of old autos that "stop in" at my station at show times. They can make the scene realistic. Sam

Description: 1918 Locomobile that drove into our show un-announced! Everyone enjoyed it.
Attached picture IMG_5327.JPG
Posted By: Pug}{maN Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Fri Jun 15 2012 01:16 AM
if i can get one ill put it up front ! we have a old truck i might put out .. ill ask the guys..
Posted By: Pug}{maN Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Mon Jun 18 2012 07:34 PM
how its looking ! o and i found a car to go out front but you cant see it till friday..lol..

Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Mon Jun 18 2012 07:50 PM
Looks great,you have been busy. Sure the station will be a big hit.
Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Mon Jun 18 2012 07:54 PM
Looks Great!!! Can't wait to see a picture with a old car parked by it!!
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Mon Jun 18 2012 08:17 PM
Very nice! You have done a lot of work on the station and I too look forward to more photos....
Posted By: Pug}{maN Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Mon Jun 18 2012 08:38 PM
its what i could do in 2 weeks, after the show ill take some more time and do things right...so thanks guys..
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Mon Jun 18 2012 09:25 PM
Put up an easel that your always looking for more Donated Items related to service stations.
That display case would look great w/ some old candy boxes & tobacco plugs, auto accessories, etc.
Posted By: Pug}{maN Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Mon Jun 18 2012 10:07 PM
ya i just got that case today, was from the 40's, made in stlouis mo.
Posted By: Gas globe guy Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Mon Jun 18 2012 10:16 PM
I don't like it.... I love it!!! Very good job cleaning it up, nice paint!!
Posted By: JimT Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Mon Jun 18 2012 11:03 PM
Looks really good! At first when you said you were painting the columns orange, I was kinda skeptical. The black trim really did the trick. Nice job.
Posted By: cosdencop Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 19 2012 02:28 AM
It looks great !!! Just a thought how about hanging the phillips from that pole where the quaker state is . Not griping it is just a thought and you have done an excellent job on the place. Keep it up.
Posted By: Savinsam Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 19 2012 11:13 AM
Congratulations! It's really coming to life now. You'll be surprised how many visitors and compliments you'll get. Enjoy the moments!
Posted By: Pug}{maN Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 19 2012 11:21 AM
Originally Posted By: cosdencop
It looks great !!! Just a thought how about hanging the phillips from that pole where the quaker state is . Not griping it is just a thought and you have done an excellent job on the place. Keep it up.

there will be a sine on the pole, all the bildings have sine's , mine will say ohio station, fronter village, adrian mo., station attendant chris pugh
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Tue Jun 19 2012 08:03 PM
Wow, that looks great and you work fast!
Posted By: Pug}{maN Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Sat Jun 23 2012 02:57 AM
heres some pics of today...

Posted By: advertologist Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Sat Jun 23 2012 02:59 AM
neat pictures- thanks for sharing.. cool
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: im the curator of a 1920's filling station - Sat Jun 23 2012 03:13 AM
Chris, you have done a remarkable job on the station in a very short amount of time...You should be very proud of your accomplishments...

I for one, commended you for your diligence...

I hope you and others will keep working on the station.... Hopefully new items will be donated and possibly rotated in and out of the station....
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk