Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: olddutchgas Globe of the Month - January / February - Sat Jan 26 2013 09:39 PM
Well it has been to long since we have had a "Globe of the Month" feature. There was another post awhile back about what became of some of our "of the Month" features and various theories were given. Quite honestly the biggest factor for me is time. It was an extremely busy (as well as a hot and dry)summer and I plannned on starting up again in the fall but as you can tell that season, as well as the holidays came and went. Oh well, better late than not at all!

For this months feature lets see ALL the globes you purchased in 2012. Here are a few of ours. Lately we have been focusing on small Michigan companies and I was fortunant to get into an old time collection of a Michigan collector who was scaling back.

White Star was a 1920s Michigan marketer from Detroit that had over 1500 stations. Around 1930 they were bought out by SOCONY and they obviously were very intentional about dumping everthing when they reimaged. With that many stations a lot of globes were used but very few have survived to this day. To get a chance to buy 3 at once was a rare opportunity.

The Zephyr Ethyl is also an uncommon globe from Muskegon, Michigan and Speedway 79 was another Detroit marketer that was bought out by Marathon.

That's all for now, lets see all your 2012 globe purchases!

Thanks!!

Lonnie & Aaron

Attached picture IMG_2743.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2748.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2747.JPG
Posted By: s932 Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Sat Jan 26 2013 09:44 PM
I didn't get to buy a lot of globes this year but I did manage to get a few

Posted By: s932 Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Sat Jan 26 2013 09:44 PM
Thanks for bringing this thread back it's my favorite
Posted By: olddutchgas Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Sat Jan 26 2013 09:46 PM
Oops! Here is the Speedway 79 photo. The Osceola Regular above is from another small Michigan marketer and it joins the Osceola Premium that we have had for awhile. They are molded 1-piece plastic globes and did not hold up very well. The plastic had a tendency to crack and fade. It is uncomonnon to find these in good condition.

The McClanahan globe is from a very small Michigan company that later became part of Leonard Oil which was also a Michigan marketer.

Lets see what you have!

Attached picture IMG_2749.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2750.JPG
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Sat Jan 26 2013 09:49 PM
Very nice Globes. Great Idea.
Posted By: eshaver Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Sat Jan 26 2013 09:49 PM
Now THIS is a reason to join Old gas!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whew........... Ed Shaver
Posted By: s932 Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Sat Jan 26 2013 09:55 PM
Couple more had to think back as to when I bought them lol. It's hard getting old

Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Sat Jan 26 2013 11:36 PM
I got the globe bug in 2012. Here are mine. All from the last couple months.

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Sat Jan 26 2013 11:37 PM
Last two. I threw in a pic of them all lit up. Obviously they Pittman globe is a repop. It was just too pretty not to have.

Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Sun Jan 27 2013 12:13 AM
I had to go back in my Kodak file to check and see which ones were purchased in 2012. I didn't buy too many globes in the last year, but I was very happy to add 3 different Marathon globes to my collection. I considered them a few of my buys of the year as my Marathon collection went from one globe to four, lol. I bought the "black T" Texaco, the Standard lens, as well as the Sky Chief back in February. The Sky Chief was listed as a repro and had the original box. It's the second original globe I've found listed that way, and both had the original boxes, so there was no question in my mind of authenticity. The 13.5" GULF was also purchased in 2012. I think you see less 13.5" globes than the 12.5" versions. That's it for me for last year! Hopefully this year will produce a couple globe finds.
Darin

Posted By: Mike M. Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Sun Jan 27 2013 12:21 AM
Added 3 Pure Oil porcelain body Globes to my collection in 2012. Purol and Purol Pep from Iowa gas and the Xcel lenses from Lonnie Hop (Old Dutch) and a good body found at an auction sporting repop lenses.
I only had 6 original globes in my collection before but after these 3 in 2012, I look forward to collecting more.

Great idea Lonnie !!!

Attached picture 100_2860s.jpg
Posted By: gmstuff Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Sun Jan 27 2013 01:17 AM
We were able to add this globe to our collection this year.. I was a bittersweet addition, it cam from a friends collection who passed away earlier in the year.. This globe is from the Red C Oil Company, based out of Baltimore in the 20's.. We rarely find anything for this company so it was a great addition to the collection.

Attached picture og2.jpg
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Sun Jan 27 2013 01:46 AM
Here are my globes for 2012. Not much at all smile

I bought a couple of these last year.

Posted By: s932 Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Sun Jan 27 2013 02:43 AM
No not much at all brad just a white rose nothing special lol
Posted By: Rust and Dust Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Sun Jan 27 2013 02:57 AM
I know this isnt a globe but But a friend of mine got these last week and a local collector said that this was a local Station that only existed from 1904-1910 Im not sure at all but they are beautifull. And we were told that these are the only ones known to exist. If im wrong about that my bad.
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Sun Jan 27 2013 03:03 AM
Those are some very cool lenses Jonathan!!!!
Yeah yeah Shawn grin
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Sun Jan 27 2013 03:29 AM
Beautiful display. I would be scared that one of those old pool balls would skip off that table and do some serious damage. Hopefully it never happens.
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Sun Jan 27 2013 04:02 AM
Grandkids are warned that a stray pool shot may destroy any chance they get to go to college!! LOL

Great globes everyone. Would love a few of them, Ok all of them in my collection.
Posted By: tetraethyl Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Sun Jan 27 2013 04:14 AM
Thanks Lonnie for keeping this great thread going. I'll try to get my pics on tomorrow if I can figure out how to post them.
Great globes everybody. Some rare birds scattered n there. I love them all. If I were rich I'd be broke in no time buying globes! I love them all. Mike
Posted By: GULFGLENY Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Sun Jan 27 2013 04:58 AM

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Posted By: Neil Gerrard Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Sun Jan 27 2013 06:37 AM
Not really a globe collector but did get a few good ones.

Posted By: azjockey Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Sun Jan 27 2013 11:29 AM
Really nice globes ,great thread.

Gene
Posted By: keithia Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Sun Jan 27 2013 02:29 PM
Here are a couple of mine. The Our Own globe is a one piece etched from the Our Own Hardware Company. I have never seen another but I have seen some cans and signs from them.

Attached picture ourownhardware1.JPG
Attached picture sinclairdieselitallic1.JPG
Attached picture texacogill1.JPG
Attached picture diamond1.JPG
Posted By: HI-OCTANE Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Sun Jan 27 2013 03:32 PM
Only globe I bought in 2012 because I knew where it came from and I knew it was real. Because some one out here had them reproduced and ruined the whole mystique of them out here. But that's another topic.

Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Sun Jan 27 2013 10:16 PM
grinI only bought a few if you consider the whole year, but I got some good ones!

Attached picture Globes of 2012 004.JPG
Attached picture Globes of 2012 006.JPG
Attached picture Globes of 2012 003.JPG
Attached picture Globes of 2012 001.JPG
Attached picture Globes of 2012 002.JPG
Posted By: Tankar Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Sun Jan 27 2013 10:55 PM
I'll say. Kevin
Posted By: Gas globe guy Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Mon Jan 28 2013 12:01 AM
NICE GLOBES!!!!
Posted By: olddutchgas Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Mon Jan 28 2013 12:26 AM
NICE globes everyone!! Lets see some more - the good, the bad, the ugly, lets see what globes you purchased in 2012.

Here are a few more of our 2012 globe purchases. The Starfire was the only oval globe we got this year. It came out of an old time Illinois collection and I have never seen another one. Anyone know anything about this company?

Thanks!

Lonnie & Aaron

Attached picture IMG_2756.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2757.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2755.JPG
Posted By: oldiesbutgoodies Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Mon Jan 28 2013 12:36 AM
My Two

Attached picture 100_3167.jpg
Posted By: fast66 Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Mon Jan 28 2013 02:23 PM
Very nice globes everyone :-)

It may have been this BP only for me this past year...

Cheers,
Claes

Description: BP 47-58 Sweden
Attached picture BP glob Sverige x.jpg
Posted By: Gas globe guy Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Mon Jan 28 2013 03:12 PM
Here are mine, mobil is a reproduction. I want a complete globe!

Attached picture phpw3P2IjAM.jpg
Attached picture phpkujtasAM.jpg
Posted By: katfsh Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Mon Jan 28 2013 03:15 PM
Here is a group shot of our we bought this year taken apart to clean will post some more later
Posted By: katfsh Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Mon Jan 28 2013 04:49 PM
here are a few more

Posted By: katfsh Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Mon Jan 28 2013 04:51 PM
more

Posted By: dodgeman60 Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Mon Jan 28 2013 05:09 PM
WHOA! holy globes katfish. nice!!
Posted By: s932 Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Mon Jan 28 2013 05:59 PM
Love the mfa has always been my favorite
Posted By: LSx Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Mon Jan 28 2013 07:56 PM
Awesome globes in here. LOVE the Texaco ones
Posted By: Alex Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Mon Jan 28 2013 08:22 PM
Holy Cow Katfsh...you win....love that Fat T Texaco

And Mr. Frith...just keep showing that Texaaco one piece globe.....rub my nose in it.....LOL...Nice stuff guys.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Tue Jan 29 2013 04:17 AM
Great thread and awesome globes.
Posted By: Hy-Flash 72 Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Tue Jan 29 2013 12:14 PM
I just got one last year!!!

This was after Hickok Oil bought out Pocahontas Oil from Cleveland, Oh in July of 1928. All of the Pocahontas “Blue Flash” Oil Stations were rebranded as Hi-Speed “Blue Flash” Stations.

Randy

Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Tue Jan 29 2013 09:47 PM
I got a couple last year.

A repo Productos. I have seen a logo like this on maps and things and it is similar to the logo on the sign. The globe CD says it was used from 1932- 1938. It is marked at the top with the manufacturing date. It makes a good night lite

A pair of Sinclair Marine globes from Iowa Gas. The block lettered one is the older , used from about 1955-1959. The italics one from maybe 1959-1970.

Posted By: henlovestoys Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Wed Jan 30 2013 05:45 AM
That "FANTASY" Sinclair lense looks great! I have got to get a set.
Posted By: olddutchgas Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Thu Jan 31 2013 09:44 PM
Here are the last few of our 2012 globe purchases. Lets see what you bought. Lot of great posts and great finds so far, keep them coming!!!

Thanks!

Lonnie & Aaron

Attached picture IMG_2758.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2759.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2761.JPG
Posted By: 67Chev4X4 Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Fri Feb 01 2013 08:14 AM
Well I haven't bought much this year so haven't posted much. I've been spending most of the spare cash on the old Chevy. Setting around thinking about the oval Zephyr globe I have might be getting lonely. Figured I needed more so I gave it some company. Nothing special.

Attached picture PDR_0218.JPG
Posted By: LSx Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Fri Feb 01 2013 12:31 PM
That Signal is sweet
Posted By: scottpcm Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Wed Feb 06 2013 01:39 AM
Here is a great rare pair of Cuyler gas globes from the Russian Oil Company of Chicago. The red ripple was pulled from it's original box which is still in excellent condition. One of the prettiest non picture globes out there. Ripple has the decal and friction tape still on the base. Glass one is a very rare 15" glass! Scott Benjamin Collection.

Attached picture cuylerpair2.jpg
Posted By: scottpcm Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Wed Feb 06 2013 01:43 AM
Rare Around the World Gas Globe from National Refining-White Rose...I had to give up a great globe to get this one but have no regrets! Scott Benjamin

Attached picture aroundworld002.jpg
Posted By: Chevrolet SS Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Wed Feb 06 2013 01:51 AM
WOW! Great looking globes Scott.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Wed Feb 06 2013 02:06 AM
Killer globes!
Posted By: hemistudegasser Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Tue Feb 12 2013 12:47 AM
picked up this Richfield locally. original paint and not even faded, paint is just checked a little bit, been sitting in an attic for years.

Attached picture DSC03275.JPG
Posted By: olddutchgas Re: Globe of the Month - January / February - Wed Feb 13 2013 03:40 AM
Looking good everyone! My good friend Maurice (aka as souperhigh) emailed me a few photos of his 2012 purchase that we will post later this week.

Thanks!

Lonnie & Aaron
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk