Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 57tbirdkid TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "THE FIRESTONE TIRE CO." - Sat Apr 13 2013 12:36 AM

As many of you know Firestone Is the focus of my collection. I have always had a strong interest in this company. Harvey Firestone was a very interesting and inteligent man. Countless hours of research on this company have made me realize how important Firestone was to the auto industry. In the early stages of Business, Harvey Firestone faced many financial struggles due to intense research and development. Many of you may see "the mark of quality" slogan with older Firestone items. Harvey Firestone was very focused on quality and delivering value to the customer..."Most Miles Per Dollar". There were a couple of times early in the Companys history where they were on the brink of shutting the doors. Harvey Firestone Was persistent in finding capital for his company as he knew it would succeed. Rims were a very big part of their business. Harvey Firestone and Henry Ford Teamed up to create the dismountable rim for the Model T Era Cars. Once the rim design was in place...guess who got the contract for the tires FIRESTONE! This was milestone for the company and what led them to success. Firestone also got into the accessory business, Selling auto and tire related items. In the early 20's there were so many independent tire companies. Firestone now had the capital to aquire some of these smaller companies. Firestone was successful for a number of reasons. The business grew because Harvey Firestone sold VOLUME! He would constantly give substantial discounts to dealers if they bought large amounts of his tires. Harvey always looked for ways to cut costs in his business. If he could sell a better tire then the competition at a LOWER price...it pretty much sum's it up why this company grew so fast. Quality and price. Harvey was always looking for new ways to improve the tires he produced.

There is a lot detailed infomation I have left out(It would be too much to type- a lot of it is in my head). What I have written involves the early stages of the company. If you can provide more information that would be benefical to this thread please do so. Please share your Firestone related items and It would be much appreciated if Reproduction items are NOT posted in this thread. If anyone has questions on the company be sure to ask. I will do my best to answer them. These TBA of the month postings are not just for pictures. Adding history about the company is a very important part of these threads. I appreciate everyones contributions.
the mother of all firestone tire signs.. cool

Attached picture IMG_0495[1].JPG
Posted By: GILMORE Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "THE FIRESTONE TIRE CO." - Sat Apr 13 2013 04:10 AM
Thought you might be interested... The Old Motor website just posted some pics of Jules Verne Allen at a Firestone station in Albuquerque.
Here's my Firestone sign. I'd love to hear how to date the specific colors of Firestone advertising.

Attached picture image.jpg
The latest orange and blue sign I have seen has been. 1951 most of the dst and sst signs were made in the late 30's to the early 50's
Posted By: coheley5 Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "THE FIRESTONE TIRE CO." - Sun Apr 14 2013 04:36 PM
This is my one and only piece , It is double sided with both sides being in wonderful condition. Got it from a ford dealership that had it hanging since new and it came new with Ford mounted in the frame.

Attached picture phpDoZujtAM.jpg
xlnt conditon & quite rare w/ford.. cool

Posted By: huskybob Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "THE FIRESTONE TIRE CO." - Mon Apr 15 2013 08:41 PM
Posted By: moore798 Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "THE FIRESTONE TIRE CO." - Tue Apr 16 2013 01:15 AM
My Firestone

Attached picture sunoco 003.JPG
Posted By: moore798 Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "THE FIRESTONE TIRE CO." - Tue Apr 16 2013 01:22 AM
Firestone--Red/White

Attached picture red white 002.JPG
A friend on FaceBook posted this the other day. It's Downtown Spokane Washington where her dad worked. I realy liked the fire box and red white and blue letter box. Oh and the big Conoco signs
Posted By: 1937 GMC Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "THE FIRESTONE TIRE CO." - Tue Apr 16 2013 03:17 AM

Attached picture Firestone Gum Dipped.jpg
Attached picture Firestone Sign Mine.jpg
Attached picture Large Firestone Sign.jpg
Next week this might be painted over.

Attached picture Firestone Tires.jpg
Posted By: strnge Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "THE FIRESTONE TIRE CO." - Thu Apr 18 2013 05:01 AM
Around the corner from me and still working...

Although it's been mostly signs posted so far, this is my only contribution, a car wash bottle. I do have a black tire paint can but it's high up on a shelf and I didn't feel like getting the ladder out to get it!
Darin

This Buddy L truck was made one year only for Firestone stores only. It was sold in 1953 and shown in the 1952 Christmas catalogue

I have been collecting Firestone store catalogues to try a figure out what years the different styles of cans were made. These are random years from 1932-1959.

1932 80 page battery and spark plug catalogue

1935 and earlier cans

This design was used from 1936 until 55-57. I am missing these year catalogues and that is when the change was made.

The red and white came next

Posted By: moore798 Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "THE FIRESTONE TIRE CO." - Mon Apr 22 2013 12:41 PM
What a great collection of Firestone history!!
Neon Sign still on building.

Attached picture fireneon (Small).jpg
Posted By: Shotzy13 Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "THE FIRESTONE TIRE CO." - Mon Apr 22 2013 09:51 PM
Double sided porcelain Firestone neon and curb sign.

Attached picture DSC09359B.jpg
Attached picture FirestoneMarkQualitySign-1B.jpg
Here is a large decrepid neon porcelain Firestone sign still up in Spokane.

In the early to mid 1950s Firestone offered many different products. Here is a gas tank that could be bought for the Firestone outboard boat engines.

I was at a sale one day and there was a Firestone Bicycle there. Here is a forum thread about Firestone bicycles. http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?1741-Firestone-Bicycles

Here is a Bad pic of a Firestone Thrifti-Cut 2.5hp lawnmower that I picked up. I got it a little while ago and am going to see if I can get it to work.

Posted By: Shotzy13 Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "THE FIRESTONE TIRE CO." - Tue Apr 23 2013 07:23 AM
Here's a Firestone bicycle and a Firestone sign that I picked up at an estate sale last year.

Attached picture 1950sFirestoneDeluxeCruiserBicycle-2.jpg
Attached picture DSC08375C.jpg
Attached picture DSC08497B.jpg
Posted By: strnge Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "THE FIRESTONE TIRE CO." - Mon Apr 29 2013 03:14 AM
Posted By: strnge Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "THE FIRESTONE TIRE CO." - Mon Apr 29 2013 03:16 AM
Firestone Tire Display.

Attached picture Firestone Tire Display-1.jpg
Great Firestone stuff, does any one know how to date some of these Firestone signs? Or In what year the changed to the red and white?
Thanks
I would like to know also. I would guess they changed the cans and boxes at the same time. I have been collecting Firestone catalogs to try and help figure it out. I am missing 55, 56 and 57. In the 54 catalog they are orange and blue, in the 58 catalog they are red and white.
Posted By: Rsljr1 Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "THE FIRESTONE TIRE CO." - Sun Sep 08 2013 06:14 AM
A little different version of this sign that was posted earlier.

Attached picture image.jpg
early cabinet spark plug die cut glass blinking light in cabinet explosion diagram looks like plug is firing last date on is 1932

Attached picture 1383428_10201122098641292_790236243_n.jpg
Another late entry.................

Attached picture firestone.jpg
Originally Posted By: advertologist
the mother of all firestone tire signs.. cool

WOW
Originally Posted By: coheley5
This is my one and only piece , It is double sided with both sides being in wonderful condition. Got it from a ford dealership that had it hanging since new and it came new with Ford mounted in the frame.

Very Cool
.. cool

Attached picture IMG_0824[1].JPG
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk