Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: DWSheffer "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed May 01 2013 10:02 PM
The "Company Of The Month" for May 2013 is MOBIL, which most of us felt would be the natural choice after last month's installment of SOCONY. Many thanks to Tom for hosting last month and to all whom contributed information and photos of their items for all of us to see. The following is a brief history of the company from Wikipedia, most of which was covered in Toms feature last month.

Following the break-up of Standard Oil in 1911, the Standard Oil Company of New York, or Socony, was founded, along with 33 other successor companies. In 1920, the company registered the name "Mobiloil" as a trademark.
In 1931, Socony merged with Vacuum Oil to form Socony-Vacuum. The red Pegasus or "Flying Red Horse" was adopted as the company logo at this time. In 1933, Socony-Vacuum and Jersey Standard (which had oil production and refineries in Indonesia) merged their interests in the Far East into a 5050 joint venture. Standard-Vacuum Oil Co., or "Stanvac," operated in 50 countries, including East Africa, New Zealand and China, before it was dissolved in 1962.
In 1955, Socony-Vacuum was renamed Socony Mobil Oil Company. In 1963, it changed its trade name from "Mobilgas" to simply "Mobil," introducing a new logo (created by New York graphic design firm Chermayeff & Geismar). To celebrate its 100th anniversary in 1966, "Socony" was dropped from the corporate name.
Through the years, Mobil was among the largest sellers of gasoline and motor oils in the United States and even held the top spot during the 1940s and much of the 1950s. Various Mobil products during the Socony-Vacuum and Socony-Mobil years included Metro, Mobilgas and Mobilgas Special gasolines; Mobilfuel Diesel, Mobil-flame heating oil, Mobil Kerosine, Lubrite, Gargoyle, Mobiloil and Mobiloil Special motor oils; Mobilgrease, Mobillubrication, Mobil Upperlube, Mobil Freezone and Permazone antifreezes, Mobilfluid automatic transmission fluid, Mobil Premiere tires, Mobil Stop-Leak, Mobil Lustrecloth, among many others.
In 1962, the gasoline product lines marketed as Mobilgas and Mobilgas Special were rebranded as Mobil Regular and Mobil Premium in a move to emphasize the shortened brand name "Mobil" in promotional efforts although Mobiloil continued as a single word term until the 1970s. After a few years of advertising Mobil gasolines as "Megatane"-rated and as "High Energy" gasolines, Mobil began, in 1966, to promote both its Regular and Premium fuels as "Detergent Gasolines," due to the inclusion of additives designed to clean carburetors and various internal engine parts.

I started collecting Mobil items around 2007. While I have no personal affiliation with the company, I had always been drawn the The Flying Red Horse logo, one of the most iconic trademarks in advertising history. I was told early on when I started collecting old gas items that I better pick a brand as the amount of items available would be overwhelming if you tried to collect them all. Well Ill tell you, Mobil in itself produced enough items over the years that it seems like Im always seeing items that I have never seen before, and Ive been in the hobby for over 6 years now and search the internet several times a day to see what is out there. Mobil is not the brand for the collector who wants to have an example of every item the company ever produced, as I dont think anyone could ever succeed!

While I have a pretty extensive Mobil collection to share, I would first like to have all of those willing to share photos of their items to go ahead and show us what you've got! That way everyone has an opportunity to post. Ill start posting photos now and then as we proceed of items that have not yet been shown. Mobil is a very popular company and Im sure almost every one of us has a Mobil item or two in our collections, so lets see them!

Ill start with one of my most recent additions, the very scarce Mobilheat Stove Oil globe, produced from 1955-1962.

Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed May 01 2013 10:44 PM
Well here we go:

Early Mobiloil Painted tin Tacker sign:

Early 1930's Mobilgas Globe Green Letters 15":

Early 1930's Mobilgas Globe Blue Letters 13.5":

Different Mobil Marine and Outboard cans:

Mobil Marine and Aero can:

Gargoyle Filpruf Bottle:

Gargoyle cans:

Rarer Gargoyle Process can:
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed May 01 2013 10:47 PM
West Coast PPP:

Mobilgas PPP:

Mobilgas Central Region PPP:

Mobilgas Special PPP:

Keyhole Tin:

Lubrite Cans:

More Common cans:
Posted By: moore798 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed May 01 2013 11:52 PM
Gargoyle Oil Bottle Rack

Attached picture gargoyle 002.JPG
Posted By: advertologist Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 02 2013 12:29 AM
2 signs & a can.. cool

Attached picture IMG_0268[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_0336[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_0665[1].JPG
Posted By: Tankar Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 02 2013 12:44 AM
This was used on the outside of the stations when the lift was outside to show the customers the lubrication points.

Attached picture 002.jpg
Posted By: KYGULF Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 02 2013 01:08 AM
How did I know that globe would be included in the post Darin? Ha. Thanks for the info. Good stuff Darin and everyone that posted pics.

Brian
Posted By: LOWright Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 02 2013 01:52 AM
A few ..

Attached picture mobilgas truck sign.jpg
Attached picture mobiloil 30:35.jpg
Attached picture mobilwax.jpg
Posted By: Dave Richey Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 02 2013 02:16 AM
One of the first gas and oil signs I ever purchased. Thinking the Texaco might have come from an overly aggressive Argentinian. : )

Attached picture mobiloil.JPG
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 02 2013 02:48 AM
Here are my Mobil gas pumps

Posted By: Pegasus Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 02 2013 03:10 AM
The Mobilfuel Diesel Special PPP posted above by Randy (advertologist) is the rarest of the rare pump plates. I've never seen one in person nor seen one for sale.

Richard
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 02 2013 09:33 AM
Posted By: eric grinder Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 02 2013 05:56 PM
Gotta look past the clutter...sorry

Attached picture mobil3.jpg
Attached picture mobil4.jpg
Attached picture mobil5.jpg
Attached picture mobil6.jpg
Attached picture mobil7.jpg
Posted By: eric grinder Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 02 2013 05:58 PM
Some more

Attached picture mobil9.jpg
Attached picture mobil11.jpg
Attached picture mobil12.jpg
Attached picture mobil13.jpg
Posted By: eric grinder Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 02 2013 06:01 PM
more

Attached picture mobil10.jpg
Posted By: moore798 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 02 2013 06:02 PM
What Clutter? You Mean Pure Treasures! grin
Posted By: rbonitz Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 02 2013 06:08 PM

IMG_1187 by rbonitz2000, on Flickr

IMG_1343 by rbonitz2000, on Flickr
Posted By: wfort39663 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 02 2013 06:21 PM
I agree with Richard, the Mobilfuel Diesel Special is a tough sign to find. I got this one from the Jeff Pederson auction about 10 years ago. Only second one I have seen counting Randy's.
Posted By: db_cooper Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 02 2013 06:25 PM
1947 rotating pegasus on a 10 story water tower
Posted By: wfort39663 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 02 2013 06:35 PM
Another hard to find pump plate.
URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/001800x600u.jpg/][/URL]
Posted By: Neil Gerrard Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 02 2013 11:11 PM
Only Mobil piece I own, USAC sanctioned the economy runs.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 03 2013 01:40 AM
Thanks to all who have posted some very nice items so far, let's keep them coming! I remember the first time I saw Randy post a photo of the Mobilfuel Diesel Special plate, which as a new collector I didn't even know existed at the time. Now that Bill posted his, as stated in the thread these are the only two I know of in collections. Like Richard said, the rarest of the rare! The kerosene and Mobil diesel plates are also extremely hard to find. Also shown on one of Matt Alvarez's pumps is the scarce black border Mobilfuel Diesel pump plate made for the West coast marketing territory of General Petroleum. I will be posting more photos soon, as well as more history of Socony Vacuum's subsidiary companies through the years. In the meantime, keep posting your Mobil items!
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 03 2013 03:57 AM
Here is a neat little small item:
Posted By: 1965CHPCSP Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 03 2013 12:23 PM
This is the coolest Mobil piece I own.....

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: eshaver Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 03 2013 12:42 PM
I would say that T- shirt is way kwell too ! Ed Shaver
Posted By: Tokheim Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 03 2013 12:46 PM
Cool shirt!! And great stuff from all so far.

Here are most of my Mobil items:

Posted By: Gas globe guy Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 03 2013 03:48 PM
I got this (you could say rare) white star map. It is rough, but I like it. And I don't have mobil patches... sadly.

Attached picture php63ts7IAM.jpg
Attached picture phpL64esrAM.jpg
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 03 2013 06:43 PM
Although I mainly collect Cities Service memorabilia, I seem to end up dragging a few choice pieces from other brands home with me! They will make good trading material when you Mobil guys find that special "Cities Service" piece that I might seem to need! LOL

1--30 inch DSP Mobilgas--used as a curb sign I believe
2--Gargoyle Gasoline sign--had a spot to post gas price
3--Mobiloil can rack--used to display cans at the pump
4--Gargoyle Lubester lid--cover for a bulk oil tank
5--MS70 pump with the Mobil plates it came with

Attached picture Mobil stuff & signs 008.JPG
Attached picture Mobil stuff & signs 009.JPG
Attached picture Mobil stuff & signs 010.JPG
Attached picture Mobil stuff & signs 011.JPG
Attached picture Mobil stuff & signs 012.JPG
Posted By: advertologist Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 03 2013 07:09 PM
the Mobiloil rack is cool.. cool
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sat May 04 2013 01:40 PM
Nice items Kevin!
To add on a bit to Noah's post of the 1934 White Star Mobil map, I had taken some photos for KYGULF a while back of my map collection, so since I had them ready I figured I would add them to the post now. All these maps are different in some way, either by size, date, or design. One of the most desirable Mobil related maps is the 1930 Vacuum Oil Co. graphic with the car, station, pumps, and attendant. All I have seen are for Pennsylvania, but I'm sure other states have to exist!

The next grouping are earlier maps, dating from 1933 to 1938. Some of the most collectible Mobil maps are those from the Wadhams division of Socony-Vacuum, as well as the earlier General Petroleum maps. In my opinion, some of the best Mobil items graphically were produced by the General Petroleum division, which encompassed the West Coast states. From maps, posters, to magazine and newspaper advertisements, General produced beautiful items in the pre-WW2 era.

The following grouping dates from 1938 to 1966. By 1946, (the predominately red background Michigan map) you will notice that the maps start following similar designs. By this point, Socony-Vacuum had instituted branding standards for all subsidiary companies, so companies such as Wadhams and General that had produced their own maps as a division of S-V had to conform to the same standards and no longer produced more "independent" marketing. You will still find maps during the 1940s and early 1950s that mention different divisions in the lower area, but the designs of the maps will all be the same. By 1956 all maps say "Socony Mobil Oil Company, Inc." as the company name had changed from Socony-Vacuum to Socony Mobil Oil Company in 1955. Starting about this time, Mobil was starting to phase out separating the Magnolia and General Petroleum subsidiaries which were the only two still operating from the earlier aquisition days. Both names would be phased out in 1960.

Shown in this last photo are some misc. maps, including Marine maps and other oddities. The rarest map in this photo is the Campbell Oil Company map of Chattanooga, TN. It's the only one I've ever seen. They were a distributor who used the Mobilgas branding very prominently on this local map, which I'm sure was to their advantage!
I hope I wasn't too wordy above, as I really enjoy giving the history on the items I own, which is important. Hopefully along the way we'll all learn something about Mobil we didn't know before! If you have any other maps not shown, go ahead and post them for others to see!
Darin

Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sat May 04 2013 05:38 PM
Wonderful stuff you guys !!!! Lets keep them coming . I am in the shop today and couldn't miss out on all the fun , you have seen her before but I gave Grandpa's pump a fresh coat of WD 40 and decided to join in .

Attached picture DSCN0408.JPG
Posted By: Steven C. Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sat May 04 2013 06:05 PM
Mobil Gargoyle oil can island rack. 40's or 30's?

Attached picture clean side 1 (2).jpg
Posted By: Gas globe guy Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sat May 04 2013 06:26 PM
your rack is from the 20s.
Posted By: HI-OCTANE Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sat May 04 2013 11:37 PM
I guess I'll contribute. Here is one of my first pump restorations. Narrow body 60

done up in two tone paint with automotive paint & clear coat gloss

very shining over restored, in the dinning room area.
Posted By: HI-OCTANE Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sat May 04 2013 11:42 PM
And one more since nobody has showed this little bathroom plege sign

Posted By: Dave Rowlison Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 05 2013 07:57 AM

Some Mobil smalls.

Dave
Posted By: Dave Rowlison Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 05 2013 08:35 AM

Mobil maps. To add to Darin comments;
Mobil-White Star Division maps for Michigan, Ohio & Indiana between 1933 & 1935 were made by W.S.McAlpine of Birmingham, MI. They are only oil company maps made by McAlpine that I know of.

Dave
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 05 2013 01:29 PM
Thanks to Dave for sharing some information on maps. I did not know about the early White Star maps being printed here in Michigan, which is pretty cool. By the way, I really like that White Star map on the right, I've never seen that version before!
Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Mon May 06 2013 12:37 AM
First 2 pumps I restored when I started collecting.

Posted By: s932 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed May 08 2013 11:43 AM
Great job so far guys keep it going
Posted By: JGD Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed May 08 2013 01:48 PM
White star double sided sign, measures between 3' and 4', marked IR-33

Attached picture photo (7).JPG
Posted By: hawkike Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed May 08 2013 04:57 PM

Hard to find battery sign
Posted By: hotrodhudson48 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed May 08 2013 09:19 PM

Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed May 08 2013 11:46 PM
Nice Drop-leg Mike! And i like the blue outlined peggy!
Posted By: hotrodhudson48 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 09 2013 12:50 AM
Thanks!
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 09 2013 02:00 AM
Thanks to all who have posted. There have been some very nice items so far, so if you haven't shared your Mobil, please do so!
There are different variations of the Mobil restroom pledge shields to be found, including a black border west coast version and a couple blue border versions with slightly different wording. The later rectangle "locked" restroom sign does not show up nearly as often in my opinion. It's a heavy little sign for the size.

Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 09 2013 02:37 AM
Mobiloil Special island rack, dated 2-54.

Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 09 2013 12:48 PM
Can't forget the oilers

Grease cans and other smalls

Posted By: bmclemore Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 09 2013 03:12 PM

Lubrication chart out of a Saturday Evening Post

A F Filpruf

Posted By: advertologist Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 09 2013 03:27 PM
a couple gargoyle items on a dusty shelf-
cleaning lady doesn't think I can see up there,
not until today.. cool

Attached picture IMG_0666[1].JPG
Posted By: Dale Stephens Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 09 2013 11:47 PM
Here's some of mine....Dale

Attached picture Mobil and Marine 007.jpg
Attached picture Mobil and Marine 010.jpg
Attached picture Mobil and Marine 011.jpg
Attached picture Mobil and Marine 012.jpg
Posted By: LOWright Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 10 2013 12:17 AM
One of two small silk banners that i found.

Attached picture Mobil silk banner.jpg
Posted By: strnge Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 10 2013 02:50 PM

How about a working pump on a farm in NH? We watched the owner fill up his car with it.

Posted By: hawkike Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 10 2013 04:01 PM

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/UR

From a S.W.Iowa Mobil station--about 30 years ago. smile
Posted By: strnge Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 10 2013 05:39 PM
Posted By: Dale Stephens Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 10 2013 10:58 PM
One more Picture...Dale

Attached picture MOBIL 002.jpg
Posted By: rustynuts Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 10 2013 11:55 PM
Here's my small Mobil collection. Once again it seems like I'm forgetting something.

Attached picture mobil1.jpg
Attached picture mobil2.jpg
Attached picture mobilgas1.jpg
Attached picture mobilgas2.jpg
Posted By: rustynuts Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 10 2013 11:57 PM
A couple more...

Attached picture mobilgas3.jpg
Attached picture mobilgas4.jpg
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sat May 11 2013 10:42 PM
Some more nice items posted guys, let's keep them coming!
I had mentioned previously that the pre-WW2 advertising in the General Petroleum territory was, in my opinion, some of the best ever produced by Socony-Vacuum. Below are a few examples I have of posters and advertising from this era.
To start, a 1935 magazine advertisement. I think this is one attractive ad with great colors!

An eye catching 1936 poster illustrating General's use of clouds and speed lines which is a trademark of General advertising.....This poster was found in the attic of a bulk plant in Oregon.

And last, a General poster introducing the motoring public to the "new" Mobilgas Ethyl. This would date the poster to 1934.

Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sat May 11 2013 10:49 PM
Here is another neat poster from Argentina. Although foreign, I thought it was pretty cool so I added it to the collection a few years ago. This was from a series of posters, with this one advertising the dangers of "enemy #1, carbon", and that you could protect your car using Mobiloil.

Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sat May 11 2013 10:58 PM
Next, I thought I would post some of the different globes that I have. I opened the COTM with my Mobilheat Stove Oil globe, a pretty scarce globe. I would say my only other scarce globe would be this 13.5" Mobilgas Ethyl globe, produced from 1934-1936. They do not come up for sale too often in this particular size, with the most plentiful being the 16.5" version.

Next up are two of the larger globes, the 16.5" Mobilgas and Mobilgas Special. These globes come in both black and blue lettering, like most all of the globes of these designs. In my case, the Mobilgas is black lettered, while the Special is blue.

Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sat May 11 2013 11:08 PM
The most common Mobil globes, and probably one of the most common in the hobby, are the 13.5" Mobilgas and Mobilgas Special globes. These are found with both blue and black lettering as mentioned before. The Hops or Scott B. can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the lettering color really affects value anymore. It used to be the black versions were more difficult to find, but I don't think it translates to adding a premium to the value of the globes anymore.
Black lettered Mobilgas....

Black lettered Mobilgas Special....

Blue lettered Mobilgas Special with original box. This was listed on Ebay as a reproduction at a very cheap buy it now. I don't know about you, but I don't think too many modern boxes are marked that they were shipped by the Railway Express Agency, lol! wink

Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sat May 11 2013 11:18 PM
Last in my globe installment are these three, the last of the globes produced by Mobil from 1962-1966, when this later flat shield logo was replaced with the modern MOBIL logo. I purchased the regular and the premium globes from Scott a couple years ago. They came directly from a source that had purchased the remaining inventory of the Cincinnati Advertising Products Company, or Capco after they had closed. The colors are a bit different from others you see, and they were never notched. It's anyone's guess if they are prototypes or unfinished seconds, but most you see will be the darker blue of the Mobilfuel Diesel version.

Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sat May 11 2013 11:24 PM
If you have any globes that are not posted, please share them as I know there are MANY others not shown yet, especially some of the rare ones.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sat May 11 2013 11:35 PM
Next up, I thought I would share some photos of my handy oilers. I know there are several I do not have, so if you have them, please add to this great COTM we have going this month!
I currently have 18 different versions, and as I said above, I know of several others I've seen but do not own. We'll start from the oldest ovals to the last one with the flat shield logo. You will notice in one of Randy's (Advertologist) photos previous an oval Gargoyle handy oiler, which is quite scarce! The focus of my collection is 1931 to 1966, the Pegasus years so I do not have many Gargoyle items.

Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sat May 11 2013 11:49 PM
Ooooops, I forgot a globe....can't forget the Metro! Metro was a small New York company purchased by Socony-Vacuum in 1934. Metro became the "cheap grade" gas sold in various territories until the mid-50's. Frequently in old pictures you will see three pumps, one for dispensing Mobilgas, Mobilgas Special, and Metro.

Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 12 2013 12:32 AM
Since we were on the subject of handy oilers, I thought I would post this photo of an early cardboard display piece.

Posted By: Tbirdgas Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 12 2013 03:54 AM

Sorry if I posted anything already posted
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 12 2013 03:56 AM
Very nice Paul, thanks for posting!
Posted By: JimT Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 12 2013 11:28 AM
Thanks Darin. Good Job!
Posted By: HI-OCTANE Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 12 2013 11:49 AM
I don't have a whole lot of Mobil stuff. But this is one of my favorites.

One I use every day to drink coffee and read Old Gas every morning lol.

Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 12 2013 01:11 PM
Here is a In Car Mobil Garbage bag, instructions on the Bag say to hang it on a Dash Board or glove box nob.

Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 12 2013 01:47 PM
Posting this photo for Richard, gatorgaspumps. A nice collection of Mobil patches!

Posted By: gasmelincelr Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Mon May 13 2013 11:57 PM
A few Mobil items of mine.

Attached picture DSC02325.JPG
Attached picture DSC02327.JPG
Attached picture DSC02339.JPG
Attached picture DSC02340.JPG
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue May 14 2013 01:41 AM
15" METRO [complete]
15" SOCONY Milk Glass globe lens
2 dif. flags
Partnership wellhead lease sign

Attached picture 15in Metro.jpg
Attached picture 16in SOCONY 2 16.5 globes.jpg
Attached picture 2 flags.jpg
Attached picture Critrus wellhead.jpg
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue May 14 2013 01:45 AM
Early 1 gal can
Island Bottle Stand
Leather battery Clock
UN-cut sheet of Alum qts [misprinted/2nd]

Attached picture Early Gal can.jpg
Attached picture Gargoyle bottle rack.jpg
Attached picture Leather clock.jpg
Attached picture UN-cut alum qts.jpg
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue May 14 2013 01:47 AM
Misc. signs on the wall

Attached picture more up on wall.jpg
Attached picture signs on wall.jpg
Posted By: advertologist Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue May 14 2013 02:10 AM
misc. signs & bottles.. cool

Attached picture IMG_0667[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_0668[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_0670[1].JPG
Posted By: Tbirdgas Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue May 14 2013 02:24 AM
Randy, KilleR General Sign,never seen that sign before!!
Posted By: It's for sale Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue May 14 2013 11:43 AM
Really like that " General"
Thanks
Posted By: LOWright Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue May 14 2013 11:53 AM
Randy,
That General Sign is cool! What's the scoop on it? First one that i have seen. Thanks
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 17 2013 02:33 PM
Here is a Mobilgas Marine Service Sign 5'x3':

Posted By: Steven C. Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 17 2013 04:02 PM
Originally Posted By: mcguffeyd1
Here is a Mobilgas Marine Service Sign 5'x3':

Aah she's a beauty captain!! (marine pun fully intended!)

Wow that is a cool sign!!
Posted By: rustynuts Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 17 2013 11:10 PM
Just found this Mobiloil gargoyle valve today! It's rough, But it is what it is. Reads Mobil Oils on one side & Vacuum Oil Co on the other(can barely see it). Surface is pitted bad in different areas.

Attached picture g1.jpg
Attached picture g2.jpg
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 17 2013 11:28 PM
A couple of my mobil items:

Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sat May 18 2013 02:27 PM
The sign looks good Dan, glad you were able to secure the deal on it!
I bought this pair of chaps originally thinking they were probably made for a rodeo cowboy sponsored by Mobil in the 1940's/50's. I later found out they were more than likely made for the guy managing the Flying Red Horse children's ride that toured the country back at that time. It was one of those penny rides that "gallops" for a minute when you drop your coin, but looked like the Pegasus mascot. Either way, I thought they were really cool as I have a collection of old western stuff as well.

Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sat May 18 2013 02:33 PM
Here are some examples of banners. The Freezone ones are each slightly different and date to circa 1940. The Socony banner is earlier, dating from around 1935 with the "climatic control" mention. The Mobiloil can banner would date from the early 1940's. Last, the large 10' wide banner would date from the 1950's. While not in super shape, I found it at Peotone a couple years ago for $10 so I couldn't pass it up!
More to come later guys....

Posted By: olddutchgas Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 19 2013 03:24 AM
Great posts so far! Some great pieces have been shown so far!

A few Mobil globes. The Mobilgas/Mobilgas Special split globe is one of our favorites.

Will try to get some quart can photos posted in the next few days.

Thanks!

Lonnie & Aaron Hop

Attached picture IMG_3393.jpg
Posted By: olddutchgas Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue May 21 2013 02:00 AM
We have used Mobil products on the farm for decades and my Grandpa's brother drove delievery truck for the local Mobil distributor, so naturally a collection of Mobil stuff was "needed"! Great COTM so far!

Here is a group photo of some of our Mobil quarts.

Aaron Hop

Attached picture IMG_3397.jpg
Posted By: nochevys Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue May 21 2013 04:09 PM
1866: The Vacuum Oil Co. incorporated

1879: Standard Oil Co., headed by John D. Rockefeller, purchases a three-quarter interest in Vacuum

1870: Rockefeller and four partners organize Standard Oil Company in Ohio

1882: Rockefeller organizes his various oil holdings into the Standard Oil Trust, with headquarters in New York

1882: Standard Oil of New York formed

1911: Standard Oil Company of New York (Socony) founded with dissolution of Standard Oil

1918: Socony purchases a 45% interest in Magnolia Petroleum Co.

1926: Socony purchases the properties of General Petroleum Corp. of California

1929: Vacuum acquires the Lubrite Refining Co., a refining and marketing company based in St. Louis
1930: Socony acquires White Eagle Oil & Refining Co.

1930: Vacuum acquires Wadhams Oil Corp., and the White Star Refining Co.

1931: Socony acquires all the assets of Vacuum Oil Co. and changes its name to Socony-Vacuum Corp.

1933: Socony-Vacuum and Standard of New Jersey merge their Far East facilities and interests into a 50-50 venture called Standard-Vacuum Oil Co., or Stanvac

1934: Socony-Vacuum Corp. changes its name to Socony-Vacuum Oil Co., Inc.

1947: Anglo-Iranian, Jersey and Socony sign 20-year contract with Iran

1948: Jersey (30%) and Socony-Vacuum (10%) join Socal (30%) and Texaco (30%) in Aramco venture

1954: Consortium of oil companies, including British Petroleum, Exxon, Socony, Texaco and Socal, Gulf, Royal Dutch/Shell Group, and CFP form the Iranian Oil Participants Ltd. (IOP) and negotiate agreement with Iranian government and for oil production in Iran

1955: Socony-Vacuum changes name to Socony Mobil Oil Company

1959: Magnolia Petroleum and General Petroleum merged with other domestic subsidiaries into Socony Mobil Oil Company; Two major operating divisions created within the company: Mobil Oil Co. for the U.S. and Canada, and Mobil International Oil Co. for the rest of the world (except the areas in which Stanvac had interests)

1960: Mobil Chemical Co. formed

1960: Mobil Petroleum Co. Inc. formed to oversee Socony Mobil's 50% interest in Stanvac

1962: Assets of Stanvac split between Jersey and Socony Mobil

1966: Socony Mobil Oil Co. changes name to Mobil Oil Corporation. Mobil Oil Co. becomes the North American Division; Mobil International becomes the International Division, with coordinating responsibility for Mobil Petroleum Co. Inc.

1971: Mobil enters joint venture with Iranian Oil Company

1972: Mobil's 11.875% stake in Iraq Petroleum Company is nationalized

1975: Mobil increases its share of Aramco from 10% to 15%

1976: Mobil completes acquisition of Marcor, the holding company for Montgomery Ward Department Stores

1976: Mobil Corporation formed as holding company

1979: Mobil sells 51% of its Turkish refinery to Turkish Petroleum

1984: Mobil acquires 100% of Superior Oil

1985: Yanbu Petrochemical Company (YANPET), a joint venture petrochemicals complex at Yanbu, Saudi Arabia plant begins operation; Mobil and Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC) are 50-50 partners in YANPET

1996: The Qatargas project, in which Mobil has a 10% interest, comes on line producing first LNG from Qatar

1996: Mobil commissions two new plants in Yemen and Syria

1997: Second Qatargas liquefaction train completed

1998: Exxon and Mobil announce plans for merger.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 26 2013 02:45 AM
Time to add a bit more and bring the Mobil COTM to the top! smile If you haven't posted your Mobil items please do so as the month is winding down, as hard as it is to believe.
To start things off, I thought I would show some of the products Mobil sold over the years dealing with car care. A lot of these items were made with petroleum by-products from the refining process. Instead of disposing of these as waste as they had in the past, they were developed in to sellable products available for purchase at your local Mobil station.
A couple of early products, Mobilwax for cars and a package of Mobil Utility Cloth for cars and furniture polishing. I'm still amazed I was able to find an unused package of this stuff 70 years later!

Mobilgloss car wax.....

Sovasuds Cleaner and Car Wash. All of these bottles are different versions, and I know of at least 2 more I do not have including the WW2 paper label version.

The metal windshield cleaner sprayer was used by the station attendants, but glass art deco version was sold in stations for home use. My Oct. 1941 product catalog retails these at .39 cents each, and the metal ones for attendants at .60 cents each. I took the NOS glass one out of the original packaging to take this photo.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 26 2013 02:46 AM
Last in the grouping is a photo showing different containers of windshield washer cleaner used over the years. I had taken this photo a couple months ago for a post about plastic containers, so the outboard is the odd duck as it doesn't have much to do with car care products!
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 26 2013 02:51 AM
Here is a photo showing some of the different Lustre Cloths available. These were made for car and for home use for furniture polishing. The two on the right are different, one is Socony Vacuum and the othe is Socony Mobil Oil Company marked.

Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 26 2013 03:02 AM
Here is a selection of all different Radiator Flush bottles.

When you had your car winterized with a radiator flush, fresh anti-freeze, and an oil change and lube job, this sign in the window of the Mobil station only reinforced the fact you were ready for the winter ahead!

Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 26 2013 03:13 AM
Your friendly neighborhood Mobilgas dealer had to keep records of the maintenance he had performed on your car over the years, so these record boxes were on the countertop of most every station from the 1940's thru the 1960's. I do know of another version or two but have not found them in decent enough condition to buy.

Pictured below is a selection of Mobil credit cards to pay for service rendered anywhere in the country at the sign of the Flying Red Horse.

Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 26 2013 03:43 AM
Like most collectors, I've always tried to buy the best items I can find and afford. Sometimes though, you see something rough and you know it's rare so you buy it and hope that someday you can upgrade. Sometimes you can, sometimes you never have the opportunity. Case in point, I bought this rough Cleaners Naptha can at Michigan Gas a few years ago for $10. It's the only can I've ever seen with White Star Ohio Division wording on it, and to date, this is the only one of these cans I've ever seen period. I was lucky to find the cardboard sign a while back to go with it, the only example I've ever seen as well.

Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 26 2013 03:48 AM
Last item for tonight is this cardboard Kerosene and Burning Oil sign from the late 1930's/early 1940's. I have a photo of a station in New York state with one of these tacked on the side of the building. I always love to find period photos of signage I have in use.

Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 26 2013 03:07 PM
For the next installment, I thought I would post some photos of my Outboard/Marine related items. Socony-Vacuum was a large producer of Marine products from the 1930's to the 1960's. The Mobilgas Marine porcelain pump plate is amongst the most collectable of the 12" shield plates, while the Mobilgas Marine globe is also tough to find and is illustrated in Lonnie and Aaron's photo above at the far left. I just reviewed the whole thread and see that both of these rare items are pictured in Tbirdgas' photos.

We'll start off with a yacht pennant as well as a Mobiloil Outboard hanging sign. Be careful to watch out for the repro flange sign of similar design. I have only seen a couple of these original hanging signs over the years.

Mobiloil Marine and Outboard quart cans......

2 1/2 gallon can for mixing gas and oil, as well as an early dual logo Mobiloil Outboard gallon.

Mobiloil Outboard flat quarts with measuring angles on the back to help with proper mixing.

Cardboard carrier that originally held 4 flat quart cans with an example of the can it would have contained.

Mobilube Outboard GX90 Gear Oil quart cans.....

Miscellaneous outboard related items from the 1930's to the 1960's.

Posted By: Young's Union Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 26 2013 04:46 PM
Amazing collection. Thanks for sharing. j
Posted By: advertologist Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 26 2013 05:38 PM
.. cool

Attached picture IMG_0677[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_0678[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_0679[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_0680[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_0681[1].JPG
Posted By: advertologist Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 26 2013 05:42 PM
.. cool

Attached picture IMG_0682[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_0684[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_0242[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_0297[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_0378[1].JPG
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 26 2013 08:06 PM
Thanks Randy for posting more of your quality collection.

In 1954 Mobiloil Special was reintroduced to the public with a large advertising campaign touting the added efficiency of the new formula. This rare heat motion lamp was meant to be an eye catching display on the counter top or as a wall hanging. I think I may have seen one other in a collection years ago.

Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 26 2013 08:26 PM
Socony Mobil was a large producer of paints, another item made from by-products of the refining process. One of these cans mentions that they were makers of paint since 1872. I'm not sure when Mobil specifically stopped marketing it, but the aerosol and house paint can date from around 1960. Most of the older red, white, and blue Socony Paints cans you see show the contents were made for painting the stations. (the quart is "Station White") I guess this way there was no question you had the correct color white or red for your station, as Mobil made the paint you were using!

Posted By: Huskerscott Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 26 2013 08:38 PM
What's the chrome canister with the handle? Towel dispenser?
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Mon May 27 2013 04:34 PM
I think I will start today off with some Mobilgrease items..... smile

First off a 5 pound round in the middle with some examples of one pound cans. The Mobilgrease Aero on the right is a paper labeled can. Even though it's pretty faded, they are a tough can to find and I'm glad to have it. They have the same "Flying Horse Power" logo that the metal Aero quarts have on them.

Examples of 5 pound cans. Grease cans are tough to find in super condtion in my opinion as they were generally knocked around the farm for years. It takes most people a long time to use up 5 pounds of grease!

Two different examples of Mobilgrease in tubes for grease guns, along with an original box.

Examples of bulk product containers, including an older 100 pound Mobilube drum, a 16 gallon Mobilplex drum, and a really nice 5 gallon oil can made specifically for the Magnolia Petroleum territory.

Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Mon May 27 2013 04:42 PM
Next up some Upperlube cans. I'm pretty sure I have all of the 4 ounce size cans/bottles now from the time frame I collect. There is the post 1965 blue MOBIL logo one, but that dates after my collection's focus!

Different examples of gallon Upperlube cans as well as a couple pints.....

Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Mon May 27 2013 04:58 PM
Here we will see some examples of Mobil's anti-freeze products Freezone and Permazone, including quarts, gallons, and 5 gallon bulk cans.

Freezone cans......

Permazone cans.....

Here from the left we have a 1938/9 Freezone chart, 2 different examples of 5 gallon Freezone cans, and a couple older gallon Permazone cans. At the top is the gallon Freezone island container/pourer, which is also available in the quart size. A word of caution on these cans, be very careful if you try to clean them. The applied artwork comes off very easily with almost no effort. A lot of times you are better off leaving well enough alone with these.

Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Mon May 27 2013 05:32 PM
Now I will highlight the world of Lubrite cans!
Lubrite Refining Co. of St. Louis, Missouri was a midwest marketer acquired by Vacuum Oil Company in 1929, just previous to the Socony-Vacuum merger. Mobil continued to use the Lubrite name as a motor oil brand clear into the 1970's. The very generic silver and blue composite cans of the 70's don't hold a candle in looks to these older Pegasus cans I might add!

First off we will start with the blue quart cans. On the lower left is the dark blue version of the Lubrite quart, the lighter blue version of the same design is the second from the right. As a crazy Mobil collector I consider them two versions of the can as you also see this color variation in 5 quarts as well, so to me it's a distinct difference and is not caused by fading or sun damage.

Here are 3 different blue Lubrite 2 gallon cans.....

Next up are the white Lubrite cans. Except for the generic can on the left, the other three are pretty hard to find cans from subsidiary marketers Socony, Magnolia, and Standard. These three are tough to find in nice condition. (sorry for the red color to the pic, the camera is acting up)

And last we have two of the more scarce 2 gallon cans, the white Socony Lubrite and an older Metro branded can in the same design as the Metro globe. You quite frequently see the later version Metro 2 gallons, but this old one rarely comes up for sale.

Posted By: s932 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Mon May 27 2013 10:58 PM
Darin thanks for doing COTM this month it has been great. If anybody wants to host next month let me know by Friday and we will put you in
Posted By: KYGULF Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue May 28 2013 01:16 PM
This is to go with Darin's paint items. Just about everything I have has been listed here but thought I would share this thermometer. Thanks Darin and everybody else that has posted pics.

Brian

Posted By: katfsh Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue May 28 2013 07:59 PM
Here are a couple of our globes that I havent seen posted.

16" MobilFuel Diesel

15" Mobilgas
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed May 29 2013 02:12 AM
I'm going to try and close out the COTM with more pics in the coming days. I had lots more to show but my camera is giving me fits and it may not be possible to accomplish what I was hoping to. My plan was to wait until the end of the month to show items from my collection as I wanted to give all the Old Gassers ample time to post their items. So if you have anything not shown yet, please go ahead and post them as the month isn't over yet! smile
I must admit that the COTM Richard Weir (Pegasus) did on Mobil in March of 2005 was a big help to me when I started collecting Mobil. Thanks to all of you that made this a successful COTM and know that this current thread may help a new collector in the future as it did me 6 years ago.
Darin
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed May 29 2013 02:22 AM
First up, some different versions of Delvac quarts.....

Here are a couple of examples of Gargoyle quarts with Arabic writing on the sides. These do not come up for sale very often and are among the few Gargoyle items in my collection.

A couple examples of Mobil products that were packaged for use in brand specific applications, in this case Mc Culloch chainsaws and Boston Gear reductors and ratiomotors.

Mobil brand burner cleaner....

Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed May 29 2013 02:32 AM
A couple versions of pump plates that I have not seen posted yet.

Mobilfuel Diesel dated 1951....

A lot of general collectors never notice the slight variation of some of the larger Magnolia territory pump plates with the thin blue borders. These are available with the open "a" as well as the rounded a or closed a, which you see most of the time. If you look back through this thread you will see several examples of the closed a, so I thought I would show my example of an open a for reference.

Below is the 12" Mobiloil shield on the left. I have only seen these dated IR46. Also shown is a restroom mirror with the Pegasus logo and a Magnolia gas line warning sign.

Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed May 29 2013 02:49 AM
A couple more signs not posted yet.
Hard to find 1930's Socony Vacuum Touring Service tin sign....

Along with the "keyhole" tin pump plates, the Mobilgas tin sign below is considered the first of the Mobilgas pump plates and date from the early 1940's. Shown previously in the thread is the METRO version of this sign type.

Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed May 29 2013 03:03 AM
As with all of the big oil companies in the glory days of the service station, Socony-Vacuum/Mobil appreciated the loyalty their dealers had for the company and awarded years of service by dealers and employees with plaques, pins, and other trinkets.

Dealer award plaques.....The lower left from Socony Vacuum, the right, Socony Mobil Oil Company.

Below are different examples of years of service pins, as well as an enamel hat badge, employee photo ID pin, safe driver pins, and tie tacks.

Company annual reports from 1943 to 1955.

Posted By: KL Bird Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed May 29 2013 03:32 AM
Darin, what a great job of Company of the Month you did, the different products from Mobil is just staggering. You have an amazing collection, mine pales in comparison.
Ken.
Posted By: It's for sale Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed May 29 2013 11:20 AM
I think the ' Touring Service" wins the prize.
Great sign.
Thanks for your efforts.
Would never have guessed Mobil put out so much " Stuff"
Posted By: archer2 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed May 29 2013 01:13 PM
I'd like to thank you for selecting Mobil as COTM as it gave me the incentive to actually do something to display the plates I had in boxes. Also thanks to HI-OCTANE for his assistance in locating another one.

Ed
Posted By: rvanpelt Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed May 29 2013 03:56 PM

Nice pics guys! Here are a couple of mine:

Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed May 29 2013 09:05 PM
Nice rvanpelt!!
Posted By: olddutchgas Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 30 2013 01:37 AM
Thanks for hosting this month, Darrin! Great posts from you and many others!

A few more quarts from our collection, it's kind of a game trying to find the different colors of the different versions of "Band" cans.

Aaron Hop

Attached picture bands1.jpg
Attached picture bands2.jpg
Posted By: olddutchgas Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 30 2013 01:45 AM
And a few Gargoyle quarts, too. Sorry for the fuzzy photos.

Aaron Hop

Attached picture photo.jpg
Attached picture photo1.jpg
Posted By: rvanpelt Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 30 2013 01:16 PM
Rehabing from hip replacement with not much I can do yet so really enjoying this thread! ...here's a few more of my stuff:

Thanks,
Rod van Pelt
Posted By: s932 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 31 2013 09:37 PM
Tomorrow we start a new thread so post them if you got them. Darin thanks again for hosting you did a great job
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 31 2013 10:35 PM
Many thanks to all of you who posted and made this a very successful COTM. Thanks as well for the emails and positive comments in the thread. I really enjoyed sharing my collection with everyone, and I'm sure all of the others who posted photos enjoyed sharing as well. It takes participation from the group to make these COTM threads a success!
It's always fun to see what items show up in the COTM posts, especially when it's something you haven't seen before. Hopefully we can do this again in another 5 or so years! smile
Darin
Posted By: Oldgas Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sat Jun 01 2013 01:49 AM
Great job, to Darin and all who contributed photos and knowledge.
Posted By: Pegasus Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sat Jun 01 2013 02:55 AM
Great job Darin, and everyone else who contributed. Just a note.....my collection of Mobil-related items is coming up for auction in late June and early August. If you've seen items here that you'd like to add to your collection, these two auctions will include examples of most of the stuff shown, plus quite a few more that weren't pictured. You can check out the auction catalogs on the Matthews Auctions website.

Richard
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed Aug 26 2015 01:16 PM
This is my favorite thread!
I really enjoy collecting Mobil.
Steve

Attached picture DSC_2932.JPG
Posted By: GASandOIL Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun Aug 30 2015 04:29 PM
Awesome thread - thanks to all who share their knowledge.
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri Nov 20 2015 03:20 PM
Great thread

Attached picture DSC_5751_1.JPG
Posted By: AZ_66_Native Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue Dec 22 2015 02:06 PM
I wanted to add a few pics I didn't see in the thread. West Coast-Black border Truck Cab plate, West Coast-Black border Diesel Plate and an Avgas with Pegasus.

Attached picture Mobil Truck Cab.jpg
Attached picture Mobil Diesel.jpg
Attached picture Mobil Avgas.jpg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue Dec 22 2015 03:03 PM
WOW those are nice plates!
Posted By: trifiver Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue Dec 22 2015 04:59 PM
Here is a pole & Sign I just found & Bought

Sid

Attached picture gas sign.jpg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue Dec 22 2015 09:31 PM
SID! Great!
A few more Mobil goodies!

Attached picture DSC_5777_1.JPG
Attached picture DSC_5218.JPG
Attached picture DSC_5200.JPG
Attached picture DSC_5457_1.JPG
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed Dec 23 2015 03:50 PM
Here are a few Mobil S&P Shakers and Coin Banks

Attached picture Mobil Shakers 1.jpg
Attached picture Mobil Shakers 2.jpg
Attached picture Mobil Banks.jpg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed Jan 13 2016 09:27 PM
Super cool shakers!

Attached picture $_3_1.JPG
Posted By: Nucky Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed Jan 13 2016 09:53 PM
all gargoyle for me, same period

Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed Jan 13 2016 10:37 PM
It seems a lot of the pictures are missing from this thread?
Maybe start a new Mobil thread?
Nice Gargoyle cans!

Attached picture DSC_4949_1.JPG
Attached picture DSC_5799.JPG
Attached picture DSC_5796_1.JPG
Posted By: 60wayne Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu Jan 14 2016 09:27 PM
My latest Mobil purchase.

Attached picture IMG_3075.JPG
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Mon Jan 18 2016 02:51 PM
Foto Scope with mounting bracket & Manual.

Attached picture DSC_6800.JPG
Attached picture DSC_6801.JPG
Attached picture DSC_6802.JPG
Attached picture DSC_6803.JPG
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu Jan 28 2016 03:35 PM
Few more goodies.

Attached picture _20160124_113440.JPG
Attached picture _20160105_053328.JPG
Attached picture _20160124_105928.JPG
Attached picture DSC_6868.JPG
Posted By: 60wayne Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu Jan 28 2016 07:28 PM
Pick the repro !!!

Attached picture IMG_3135.JPG
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu Jan 28 2016 08:22 PM
Wild guess...but I'm going to have to go with the one on the left Henry!
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu Jan 28 2016 08:38 PM
agree one on the left
Posted By: henlovestoys Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri Jan 29 2016 03:25 AM
OK, Henry ... enough of teasing! wink

What is the answer?
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri Jan 29 2016 03:42 AM
Left one for sure. The "a" gives it away
Dan
Posted By: 60wayne Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri Jan 29 2016 12:52 PM
Correct one on the left. The leg over the A had to be pointed out to me. Makes for an easy way to tell.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri Jan 29 2016 02:57 PM
And like Dan said, as far as I've discussed with other Mobil collectors, they never produced an original globe with the closed A, only the serif or open A.
Darin
Posted By: 60wayne Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri Jan 29 2016 03:05 PM
It blows me away the things you never notice until it is pointed out to you. I was looking at the leg being over the A rather then the G. I did not even notice the difference in the A's script. Great to always be learning.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri Jan 29 2016 03:57 PM
I should clarify that my Mobilheat Stove Oil globe does have a closed A....when I made the above statement that S-V never produced an original with a closed A I should have said in regards to the readily available globes like the Mobilgas and the Mobilgas Specials.
Darin
Posted By: Huskerscott Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri Jan 29 2016 04:39 PM
Strange that the pump plates have the closed "A" and the globes use the open "A".
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri Jan 29 2016 04:44 PM
That too depends on the particular pump plate Scott...some of the Magnolia territory plates are made both ways, with the open or closed A, while all the wide blue border plates had the closed A. Most people don't notice the variations in the Magnolia pump plates unless you are a Mobil collector.
But I agree, I have always thought it was weird that they never changed the globe font to match the plates, at least in the east coast territories.
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri Jan 29 2016 06:15 PM
Here is an example of a open 'a' Pump Plate.

Attached picture _20151212_152509.JPG
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu Feb 18 2016 01:32 PM
Keeping the thread going.
Maybe start a new Mobil thread?

Attached picture _20160215_082906.JPG
Attached picture _20160215_082837.JPG
Attached picture _20160215_082730.JPG
Attached picture DSC_7219.JPG
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue Feb 23 2016 09:05 PM
Mobil boxed items.

Attached picture DSC_7234.JPG
Attached picture DSC_7236.JPG
Attached picture DSC_7238.JPG
Attached picture DSC_7235.JPG
Posted By: advertologist Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue Feb 23 2016 09:10 PM
1931/32 shield sign .. ... cool

Attached picture IMG_2021[1].JPG
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed Feb 24 2016 01:58 PM
Randy, that is the best shield I have ever seen!
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed May 18 2016 09:40 PM
Keeping the thread afloat, maybe time for a new Mobil thread?

Attached picture DSC_8785.JPG
Attached picture DSC_8778.JPG
Posted By: Done4 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 19 2016 02:00 PM
Got this in April, wasn't sure if it was the real deal. Thanks to Scott he found a pic with the rack being used. I only have the one side but it sure works great to display some of my cans.

Attached picture photo 1.JPG
Attached picture photo 2.JPG
Attached picture photo 3.JPG
Attached picture gargoyle_bottle_rack_(2).jpg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 19 2016 04:54 PM
That is a super rack!
I almost bid on it!
Steve
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue Jun 07 2016 01:27 PM
Tire rack

Attached picture DSC_8846.JPG
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu Jun 09 2016 12:37 PM
Mobil Travel Guide rack, guess I better find some Travel Guides to fill it!

Attached picture DSC_9079_1.JPG
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue Jun 21 2016 12:50 PM
Mobil Special Oil Rack

Attached picture DSC_9237_1.JPG
Posted By: 1965CHPCSP Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue Jun 21 2016 06:37 PM
The Mobiloil Special Rack is KILLER!
Nice display. cool
Mike
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue Jul 12 2016 06:49 PM
Thanks.
Just keeping the thread alive!

Attached picture DSC_9711.JPG
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue Sep 13 2016 12:50 PM
Few goodies

Attached picture _20160828_123422.JPG
Attached picture _20160811_233215.JPG
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Mon Oct 24 2016 04:06 PM
New Sign

Attached picture _20161020_154135.JPG
Attached picture _20161023_172745.JPG
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed Nov 16 2016 02:23 PM
Mobil Thermometer and Magnolia First Aid Kit

Attached picture DSC_2598.JPG
Attached picture DSC_2596.JPG
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu Dec 22 2016 06:51 PM
Mobil Clock, PAM

Attached picture FullSizeRender.jpg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue Feb 07 2017 03:26 PM
Mobil Marine

Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue Feb 07 2017 03:40 PM
Battery Rack and Upperlube

Attached picture FullSizeRender (3).jpg
Attached picture FullSizeRender (4).jpg
Attached picture FullSizeRender (2).jpg
Attached picture IMG_2526.JPG
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu Feb 09 2017 01:56 PM
Travel Guide

Attached picture FullSizeRender (2).jpg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu Feb 09 2017 01:57 PM
Mobil Restroom items

Attached picture Restroom.jpg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue Mar 14 2017 04:54 PM
Upperlube

Attached picture IMG_3855.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3858.JPG
Posted By: Wasatch Man Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed Mar 15 2017 12:00 AM
Here is some of mine. Peter

Attached picture IMG_0847.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0846.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0845.JPG
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 18 2017 01:02 PM
Upperlube Funnels

Attached picture IMG_6241.JPG
Attached picture IMG_6239.JPG
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 18 2017 01:06 PM
Truck Plate

Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 09 2019 08:44 PM
UNRESTORED

Attached picture IMG_9498.jpg
Posted By: Done4 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 10 2019 04:25 PM
Not sure this belongs here so if not please delete.

Attached picture cropped.jpg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 10 2019 07:13 PM
Works for me!
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 10 2019 07:17 PM
Lubrite

Attached picture IMG_9604.jpg
Posted By: Done4 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sat May 11 2019 02:10 PM
One more.

Attached picture IMG_2414.JPG
Posted By: Oldgas Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 12 2019 02:02 AM
Joe from Illinois, Oldgas member "Sodamamak" sent in this photo and story:

Joe worked on the Mobil LaCrosse from 1977-to 1978 when he was 18.
He made six 30 day trips covering 95% of the Mississippi. The boat could tow as many as 8 barges with approximately 20,000 barrels per barge. The towboat was built by St. Louis Shipyard in 1953.
Picture taken at Peoria, Illinois at the dam South of Peoria Lake in 1976.

Description: Mobil LaCrosse Towboat 1976
Attached picture MobilLacrosseTowboat1976.jpg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Mon May 13 2019 02:14 PM
I like that rack!
I have been looking for one, I have a sign.
Steve

Attached picture Mobiloil Small Sign.jpg
Posted By: Done4 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Mon May 13 2019 07:10 PM
Thanks Rip. I normally don't collect foreign stuff but found this rather interesting. I wish I could find a complete one to see what type of container was at the bottom when you would push up to dispense the lub.

Attached picture IMG_2425.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2428.JPG
Posted By: RedHat Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 16 2019 10:35 AM
Some different odds and ends from around the world

Attached picture 520386BE-ABC6-4188-8AFB-036B47E99D0D.jpeg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 16 2019 01:51 PM
RedHat those are so cool!

Attached picture IMG_9772.jpg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 16 2019 01:59 PM
Window Cleaning

Attached picture IMG_6089.jpg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 16 2019 03:52 PM
A few NOS items.
Steve

Attached picture IMG_9775.jpg
Posted By: Done4 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 16 2019 05:25 PM
A few more things in the collection.

Attached picture IMG_2433.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2434.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2436.JPG
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 16 2019 07:08 PM
Done 4 excellent!

Attached picture IMG_9743.jpg
Posted By: Done4 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Thu May 16 2019 07:35 PM
Thanks Rip, no where near your collection.
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 17 2019 01:54 PM
Thank you!
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 17 2019 01:55 PM
Some more

Attached picture IMG_9605.jpg
Attached picture IMG_5866.jpg
Posted By: Done4 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Fri May 17 2019 04:22 PM
Here are some of the outboard pieces in the collection you might get a kick out of Rip.

Attached picture IMG_2442.jpg
Attached picture outborad hanging sign.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2443.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2441.JPG
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Mon May 20 2019 05:42 PM
Excellent!

Attached picture IMG_9686.jpg
Attached picture IMG_9824.jpg
Attached picture IMG_9829.jpg
Attached picture IMG_9828.jpg
Posted By: Done4 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Mon May 20 2019 06:04 PM
Great collection RIP !
Posted By: RedHat Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue May 21 2019 02:28 AM
Holy hell!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 26 2019 11:37 PM
Automatic Transmission Pegboard
Posted By: Anonymous Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun May 26 2019 11:40 PM
The Rip and Done4

Have you seen this one?

c_c
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sat Jun 15 2019 02:03 PM
Tavern Display

Attached picture IMG_0452.jpg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed Mar 25 2020 05:59 PM
Picked up a Block Font Marine can, 1st for me.

Attached picture IMG_7033.jpg
Attached picture IMG_7035.jpg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Mon Mar 30 2020 09:01 PM
Lineup

Attached picture IMG_6860.jpg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Mon Mar 30 2020 09:11 PM
Mobil-flame

Attached picture IMG_4446.jpg
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Mon Mar 30 2020 11:01 PM
That looks clean. Very nice sign. Those marine/outboard cans are a nice addition too.
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Mon Apr 20 2020 08:06 PM
I gallon Red marine can

Attached picture IMG_7861.jpg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue Jan 19 2021 08:51 AM
Mobilflame Letters

Attached picture 1E616ADD-0ACF-4A2F-971F-5D94DEB59BE8.jpeg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue Jan 19 2021 08:53 AM
Gargoyle

Attached picture 2B2C24DA-06DA-47C5-B0FD-5B8D5AB09F99.jpeg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue Jan 19 2021 09:04 AM
Wind Vane

Attached picture A12D73C8-B289-47BF-8ECC-A07C56A69678.jpeg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Mon Jun 28 2021 05:12 PM
Diesel Special

Attached picture 1C255990-C76D-4EC1-B45C-5F9CE34AB6EF.jpeg
Posted By: advertologist Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue Jun 29 2021 12:11 AM
one seldom seen, earlier tavern can

with the old english lettering .. ... cool

Attached picture 1tavcn.PNG
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue Jun 29 2021 12:28 AM
Recent addition:

Attached picture IMG_9827.JPG
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue Jun 29 2021 06:55 PM
4x8’

Attached picture 9BA37EFD-CD4A-4AEA-BDDC-6C14C5731718.jpeg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed Jun 30 2021 04:08 AM
Rack

Attached picture 3EAC092B-8144-4268-8B21-BC8E62207FE2.jpeg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue Mar 22 2022 03:19 PM
Marine rack sign

Attached picture C4A6B058-8CDF-44A4-89C5-77E4E6C14C51.jpeg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue Mar 22 2022 03:21 PM
Mobil Kerosene

Attached picture 93F995DF-AF90-4DD3-95FD-4F0B521CECB6.jpeg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun Mar 27 2022 01:48 PM
Variations

Attached picture 5F65122F-E3D3-4484-8394-BA4E6CC7D18E.jpeg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed Mar 30 2022 02:27 AM
Aircraft pump plate

Attached picture 15A1DBE8-E48C-4C2F-950E-E238ACB9D5E3.jpeg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed Mar 30 2022 02:29 AM
Tanker truck door plates

Attached picture A96ED7E7-4A8E-4F18-B959-6364608D96CB.jpeg
Posted By: redmike Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Wed Mar 30 2022 01:40 PM
What an awesome collection RIP! You should give tours, if only everyone was honest right??
Posted By: Restore-Pumps Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sat Apr 02 2022 06:35 PM
]

Attached picture 20220402_100328.jpg
Attached picture 20220402_100428.jpg
Posted By: Tankar Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sat Apr 02 2022 11:47 PM
Cleanest Mobil I've seen
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun Apr 03 2022 06:35 AM
Economy Run Trophy
Weighs 22lbs. And it’s silver.

Attached picture A7A6C98F-DD33-4D04-A940-888E81D89C6F.jpeg
Attached picture 6898A9DF-58F5-416B-BF12-76DA8DB92A4C.jpeg
Attached picture F85EA164-E563-46CF-9159-591847B77419.jpeg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun Apr 03 2022 06:41 AM
Masonite Lubester Paddle

Attached picture 2BE85E88-2BCA-4BC2-AA6C-7A5778E3936C.jpeg
Posted By: Tankar Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun Apr 03 2022 06:24 PM
Never seen a masonite paddle
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Mon Apr 18 2022 04:12 AM
LH side

Attached picture 16ED7AF7-CB1D-46F9-9376-67032C595AF3.jpeg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Mon Apr 18 2022 04:13 AM
Rh side

Attached picture FA314AC2-DAEB-4850-8317-C99A8D2AEB2B.jpeg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Mon Apr 18 2022 04:14 AM
Aberdeen Washington

Attached picture 523A342A-2617-4A89-91BB-958857DA391B.jpeg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Mon Apr 25 2022 04:52 PM
Mobil Heat

Attached picture 1643D1AC-44FF-4AA3-97E0-FAA6291151F9.jpeg
Posted By: inge Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Tue Apr 26 2022 10:41 PM
I saw a couple of Mobil Economy Run items on this thread but did not see one of these. This is a club in England.

Attached picture pk1sy.jpg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun Jun 19 2022 07:14 AM
South American Gargoyle

Attached picture AF0056CF-80B9-4A61-B8E5-8E4DA776A0E7.jpeg
Attached picture F1CEF018-53FF-459E-9D53-CE530E99C0A2.jpeg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun Oct 09 2022 04:04 PM
AERO

Attached picture B3D0CE57-5002-47CA-898D-02092F9AA6B2.jpeg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun Oct 09 2022 04:06 PM
Top row 2/3 size pump plates for the dual pump.

Attached picture 1E375163-305E-4635-A719-A40A9260C891.jpeg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun Oct 09 2022 04:28 PM
Thermometers

Attached picture 5C14E2F8-D5D5-4BB6-A06A-92FDF7311C53.jpeg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun Oct 09 2022 04:30 PM
Outboard rack

Attached picture 47B8B65C-E12B-4E3A-A469-AFD5E1951A56.jpeg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Sun Oct 09 2022 04:32 PM
Cans

Attached picture 41DF7054-BDCE-4B15-B3DB-058B7B783EFA.jpeg
Posted By: The Rip Re: "Company Of The Month" MOBIL - Mon Jan 09 2023 07:57 AM
Marine