Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: KL Bird B/A collection - Mon May 20 2013 04:17 PM
OK people, I hope you don't mind if I start to post some pics of my B/A collection for those of you, especially my friends south of the border and to the folks who have joined the site since I did Company of the month a nuber of years ago,who aren't familiar with this company. I'll just start by an overview of my stuff, and then I'll get a little more in detail as I go on. Anyone else has some cool B/A stuff feel free to show it off to. This is all packed into my basement sweet.

I hope you enjoy.
Ken.
Posted By: advertologist Re: B/A collection - Mon May 20 2013 04:37 PM
It would be hard to keep your attention on the TV screen in the museum- nicely displayed.. cool
Posted By: Dale Stephens Re: B/A collection - Mon May 20 2013 04:59 PM
Really nice...
Posted By: Gargoyle Re: B/A collection - Mon May 20 2013 05:09 PM
Awesome collection & display....really like the En-Ar-Co kid!
Posted By: grabber Re: B/A collection - Mon May 20 2013 07:47 PM
Love it! I've never seen so many B/A items! Very nice.
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: B/A collection - Mon May 20 2013 11:25 PM
Looks great ken! Love the b/a stuff.
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Tue May 21 2013 03:26 AM
Good evening folks, I'll close the night out with a few more pictures for your viewing pleasure.
Some Durafilm quarts.

And a few others.

And some outboard motor oil.

Enjoy and have a good nite.
Ken.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: B/A collection - Tue May 21 2013 03:01 PM
An awesome collection; that is very nicely displayed! Thanks for sharing it.
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Wed May 22 2013 03:05 AM
Good evening folks, howza bouta few signs?

Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Wed May 22 2013 03:08 AM
A few more.

Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Wed May 22 2013 03:14 AM
The last two.

I hope you folks are enjoying these pictures, I just wanted to do this because there hasn't been very many collections shown on here lately for various reasons, and I don't mind showing mine off especially to those of you who aren't as familiar to this brand.
Ken
Posted By: junior25 Re: B/A collection - Wed May 22 2013 10:51 AM
Great collection Ken! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Thu May 23 2013 03:42 AM
Good evening folks, just got home from a car show and bar-b-que, so maybe a few pics of some more cans.

Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Thu May 23 2013 03:47 AM
A few more and calling it a night.

And my B/A double bubble "dry charged batteries" clock.

Good night everyone.
Ken.
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Fri May 24 2013 02:19 AM
Hello all, another set of pictures, have a boo at 'em. The door push that has the nameplate offset is all original (thanks again Kim), and the one that is centered is an original nameplate on a push that I built myself.

Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Fri May 24 2013 02:27 AM
The next set is an original paper towel/garbage container that I restored a coupla years ago, and a couple of examples of the paper towels that would go in them. Apparently the printed side is impregnated with soap to wash the window and the other side is blank to dry the window,I've never tried one to see though...

Have a good evening everyone.
Ken.
Posted By: Young's Union Re: B/A collection - Fri May 24 2013 03:08 AM
Nice restoration job!! j
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Sun May 26 2013 02:22 AM
Good evening everyone, tonite I am going to post some pictures for an oldgas member Ted Czerechowicz, Ted goes by the handle TC here on old gas.Ted has an awsome collection, especially of globes,Check them out!

Thanks Ted for sharing these pictures with us, check out how many different B/A globes he has.
Ken.
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Sun May 26 2013 02:29 AM
Another interesting can that I have is a Peerless cardboard composite can, this is the only one I have seen in my collecting days, there was a silver Heavy Duty composite can on ebay a number of years ago and haven't seen one since, I'm sure there are more out there.

Have a good evening.
Ken.
Posted By: TC Re: B/A collection - Sun May 26 2013 10:18 PM
Hi, I'd like to thank KL Bird for posting some of my globes.Spent last night figuring how to post and today I tried it in the testing area and I'm surprised how easy it is and thats without using image shack. Thanks again Ken.
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Tue May 28 2013 03:37 AM
Good evening folks, been under the weather for a few days with a spring cold, they seem worse this time of the year than in winter time. Anyway with the bar-b-q season underway, I thought I would post a picture of B/A's offerings of everyones favorite form of summer cooking.

Next is a wall cabinet for wheel seals,pinion seals, etc.

And finally for tonite, a tank filter that I purchased from fellow oldgasser dodogas.

Well, I'm starting to turn into a pumpkin so goodnite to all.
Ken.
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Wed May 29 2013 03:15 AM
Good evening folks, to-nite I'm starting off with a coupla racks.First one is a two sided, 4 ounce can rack.

Next is a wire oil can rack, not sure if it was originally intended for this or not, but that's what I use it for. All these years of collecting and I haven't gotten a proper quart rack yet.

Next is a wire comic book rack I display my maps on.

And my toy tankers. First one is a Minnitoys tanker built in Canada, it's an original B/A tanker that I restored, and the second smaller one is a Marx tanker, the tanker is original and I bought the correct cab separately and restored it. I believe it was originally for a B/A tanker 'cuz when I sanded down the green paint, there was red underneath.

That will be all for to-nite folks, have a good nite.
Ken.
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Fri May 31 2013 02:20 AM
Good evening folks. Tonite I would like to show somemore cans if I may.
First row consists of four examples of 2 gallon oil cans, second row consists of various flat cans, aeresole cans and plastic squeeze bottles.

Third row consists of a 5 pound bow-tie gease can, a 10 pound pail, a quart of floor enamel paint, and a box for 4 ounce p.a.c. cans.Fourth row has five examples of cleaning solvent cans.

Fifth row houses various examples of one gallon cans. The Tire Eze-On can I practically had to pry out of Texacojoe's hands to get it from him,ha.

Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Fri May 31 2013 02:27 AM
Next, I would like to show you two examples of farm grease tubes.

And finally tonite, two neat cans, a small insect spray can and a cone type gas line antifreeze can, check out the top on the antifreeze can, B/A does this to a few various cans on their lids, kinda cool.

Well, that's it for me tonite, everyone have a good evening.
Ken.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: B/A collection - Sun Jun 02 2013 05:40 PM
Great collection Ken. I've looked at the photo's numerous times and each time I notice more items that I missed previously.
Posted By: eshaver Re: B/A collection - Sun Jun 02 2013 06:05 PM
Great looking collection sir ! Ed Shaver
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Mon Jun 03 2013 04:06 AM
Thanks guys, I have got more to show all of you, I just have been busy with car shows this weekend, I just got in from a car show at a park just outside of the city, and then a barbeque after, and then another barbeque with a show and shine after work tomorrow nite, so after that stuff is done I will have some more pics to show. Have a good nite everyone.
Ken.
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Wed Jun 05 2013 03:33 AM
Well, good evening everyone, 10:20 pm here and just got in and had a shower and came on here, I feel like I've been busier than a one armed paper hanger lately.Anyhoo, I'm gonna show you a few pics of my only pump I have left, Bennett 1066, I have it in the front waiting room at work, it's quite popular there, and quite a conversation piece with the customers. I restored this one in '05, and it's been in 2 car shows. Also included are a few pics of my air meter, as you look at it you probably are thinking somethings funny about it and you would be right, I made my own pedestal for it. Due to lack of funds, I had to make due with what I had, there was a pedestal for a paint shaker at work that was sitting around, it was kinda the right height, etc, so I modified, painted and mounted my meter on it and looks not too bad, hopefully some day I will get a proper pedestal for it, or get another complete meter.Enjoy.
Ken.

Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Thu Jun 06 2013 03:09 AM
Hello folks, this time around I have some photos of a cardboard box that a battery would come in, two sides of a cardbaord box that would hold a case of quart oil cans, a travel cooler, and some various oil and grease pails, hope you enjoy.

Battery box.

Quart oil box

Cooler.

Two shots of different pails.

Have a good evening folks.
Ken.
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Sat Jun 08 2013 03:00 AM
Hello everyone. Tonite I will start off with a shadowbox of some patches, give a ways, oil change stickers and various smalls. Sorry for the glare and fuzziness in the pictures, I'm not much of a photographer and still playing with this camera.

Next two are of a restaurant place mat and some bulk reciepts

The last two are of dealer awards and two examples of some magazine ads.

I hope everyone is finding a bit of interest of this product and not getting too bored with it. Have a good evening.
Ken.
Posted By: texacojoe Re: B/A collection - Sat Jun 08 2013 02:26 PM
Ken you have an amazing collection, keep them pic's coming and thanks for sharing.
Posted By: coopersplace Re: B/A collection - Sun Jun 09 2013 11:34 PM
Since Ken had said he wanted to see photos of BA stuff from other collections, I thought I put would some of mine into the mix. The top two rows of the Pennzoil quarts in the Pennzoil rack have British American Oil Company Canadian Distributors printed on them. Cheers, Don.

Attached picture rsz_ba1.jpg
Attached picture rsz_ba2.jpg
Attached picture rsz_ba3.jpg
Attached picture rsz_ba4.jpg
Attached picture rsz_ba5.jpg
Posted By: coopersplace Re: B/A collection - Sun Jun 09 2013 11:38 PM
Part two, sorry about the Pennzoil, it is fine on my computer and I don't own a cell phone to blame it on. Cheers, Don.
ps. Just thought to mention that Rega was bought out by BA in 1920 so fairly early tins.

Attached picture rsz_ba6.jpg
Attached picture rsz_ba7.jpg
Attached picture rsz_ba8.jpg
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Mon Jun 10 2013 03:07 AM
Hi folks, hey Joe, thanks, but it aint nutt'n compared to your collection, I suppose this is the first real look you have gotten in the years we've known each other.
Don, thank you very much for posting your pictures, you have many items I could only hope to aquire, and hope I will someday,I really like the starting fluid can and the cone top liquid solder can and the informantion on the Rega items.
I'm gonna show some pics of my display case contents this time.

Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Mon Jun 10 2013 03:14 AM
A few more...

Sorry for the poor picture quality compared to the other folk's pics, as I have said before, I'm not a photographer and still figuring out this camera.
Thanks again Don for your excellent pics, and if anyone else has some cool B/A stuff, feel free to post.
Ken.
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Wed Jun 12 2013 03:06 AM
Good evening folks, I only took a few pics tonite, the first one is an example of a B/A calender.

The second one is a neat fantasy picture of a gas station with the buildings, pumps vehicles, tanker, etc, I hope to someday get it into a much nicer frame.

And the third picture is kinda interesting. These cardboard "mini" signs I had bought a few years back at Red Deer swap meet from a former long time B/A employee Gord Grover, some of you Alberta collectors probably know of or heard of him.Anyway, these cardboard signs are 12 1/4 inches in dia., Gord told me these were handouts at a convention in the late '60's before the transition of color and style in '67. They were to show the employees the new colors, and the slogan or whatever you want to call it was "Red and green, never to be seen". From what I understand, some of you can correct me if I'm wrong, there was a transition of color to orange and blue with the previous font or style before completely changing over the more "swoopier" style.

On a side note, I had a visit from an Oldgas member Fred Mensink a.k.a. gasman84470, yesterday afternoon. Fred was in Saskatoon on business and had some time in the p.m. and asked me if we could meet up,so I asked him if he wouldn't mind coming by my work for a visit.We have a nice cafateria in the bodyshop I work at for the customers and employees of the dealer ship, so I took some time from work and we spent about 2 hours talking about gas and oil and getting to know each other, it was very enjoyable, only thing was I was sorry I couldn't get away and take him to my place to show him my collection in person, hopefully another time. It's pretty cool that one can meet someone with the same interests on a forum and end up meeting face to face, as I've done with a few of you folks that are closer. Hopefully someday I can meet some of the "farther way" folks.
Anyhoo, everyone have a good evening.
Ken.
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Thu Jun 13 2013 01:52 AM
Good evening folks, tonite I am going to try and post some pics of the magazine article that the local newspaper did of me a number of years ago. I'm sorry if it's hard for people to read as I don't have a scanner and I took pictures of the article, so lets give this a try...

I hope you can read it.
Ken.
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Sat Jun 15 2013 02:10 AM
Hi Folks, finally friday, it's about time... Tonite I have a few pictures of some lubrication chart books and a truck upkeep/log book, hope you enjoy.
Ken.

Posted By: rvanpelt Re: B/A collection - Mon Jun 17 2013 02:20 AM
Awesome collection, Ken! Thank you for sharing. BA leased land from my grandfather here in Nebraska in early 1955, drilled and completed the well later that year. The well is still producing today. I have the porcelain lease sign in my collection and have always been interested in the company.
Thanks again!
Rod
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Mon Jun 17 2013 02:41 AM
Hey Rod, thank you, I remember when you posted a pic of that sign when I did c.o.t.m a number of years ago, very cool sign. I invite you, if you want too, to post a pic of that sign for everyone to see. I'm taking a bit of a break tonite and I will be posting a few more pics tomorrow nite of my collection. I had kept a copy of your pic, but it's on the old computer that the ex-wife has now...
Thanks again Rod, everyone have a good evening.
Ken.
Posted By: rvanpelt Re: B/A collection - Mon Jun 17 2013 02:23 PM
Yes, Ken. I remember posting my lease sign and you saying you hadn't seen one like it from the states, so here it is again. In my grandmother's snapshots, I found a pic, which she wrote on the back that it was the first well drilled that turned into a producer. I believe this to be a British American derrick. Maybe Ken can verify this, although this isn't a great pic.
Thank you,
Rod van Pelt

Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Tue Jun 18 2013 02:53 AM
Cool, thanks Rod for posting the pictures, they are awsome. While I can't positively verify that being a B/A derrick, I would think that it would be a strong possibility that it is, as B/A had a very strong presence in the United States. For more history, check out Alex Colwell's site www.britishamericanoil.ca.
As for tonite, I think this will be the last for my B/A collection, I bought an embossed B/A t.s.b. binder at an auction and loaded it up with pictures, invoices,booklets, magazines, flyers,etc,so I will finish off with a few examples of what is in the binder

Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Tue Jun 18 2013 03:05 AM
Some more...

Well, I hope I didn't bore any of you with my "stuff", these pics are an example of most of my stuff, I do have more cans, pails, etc stored away, and there was more that I didn't take pics of, I do havea few other brands, I have a bit of Whiterose, and a few Goodyear items, and various quart and 1 gallon cans, along with some Coke items and toys, some original to me and my family and a few restored. So, that's it in a nutshell, I hope you enjoyed.
Ken.
Posted By: TC Re: B/A collection - Tue Jun 18 2013 03:19 AM
Hi Ken figured it out. Here's a 100 year old BA can that i think no one has seen. Ted

Attached picture IMG_0664.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0668.JPG
Posted By: gmstuff Re: B/A collection - Tue Jun 18 2013 12:47 PM
Here is an early Ford Oil can made by B/A... There was a Chevrolet version as well..

Keith

Attached picture ford 1.jpg
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Fri Jun 21 2013 03:03 AM
Hey Guys, thanks for posting those pictures of the cans, they are way cool. Ted, is yours a metal quart can? Keith, I have seen a Chevrolet version as well. Thanks again for posting.
Ken.
Posted By: TC Re: B/A collection - Fri Jun 21 2013 12:38 PM
Morning Ken, the can is 2 or maybe 3 quarts looks like a Heinz tomato juice can without the grooves and alot bigger. Mr. BA- Alex has the can and is looking it up in his archives. In my opinion its older than the vulcan cans, because of the refiners name on it. Very unusual lid that screws in with cork on the bottom.
Ted
Posted By: Cuillerier Re: B/A collection - Tue Jun 25 2013 05:01 AM
I picked up, by sheer luck...
A B/A Peerless quart, with the blue and orange, cardboard,
I didn't know one existed.. Ill grab a photo..
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Wed Jun 26 2013 02:08 AM
Ted, that is an unusual size, and I agree that is pre-vulcan, keep us posted on what Alex finds out.
Robert, yes, please post a pic of that can if you can, I've never seen a cardboard blue/orange can myself.
Ken.
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Sun Jun 30 2013 12:15 AM
Hey everyone. I am just about to head out to a show and shine at one of the A&W's and I thought I would keep this thread alive a little longer and post some pics of the pumps I used to have, other than the Bennett 1056 I still currently have from my previous pictures, oh yeah, and the Wayne 100 I did for some friends in Grande Prairie,Alberta. Again I apologize for the poor pictures as they are pictures of pictures I printed of on plain paper.
Ken.

Posted By: Murphy'sBA Re: B/A collection - Sun Oct 12 2014 01:11 PM
Simply an amazing collection you have Ken! I recently joined Old Gas and have loved going through this thread with all your amazing photos. My Dad worked for BA as an auditor from '56-'69 and then on with Gulf after the takeover. I recently finished up the restoration of my 1962 GMC truck as a British American Oil service station shop truck as a tribute to my Dad & BA. My slowly growing BA collection is nowhere near or ever will be of the caliber of you collection but I'm quite proud of my tribute truck! Hope you don't mind if I post a pic or two here which were taken in front of a restored circa 1955 BA station near me in Newtonville Ont.
Happy Thanksgiving to all Canadian Members!
Paul

Attached picture P1110605a.jpg
Attached picture P1110596a.jpg
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Sun Oct 12 2014 04:38 PM
Hi Paul, and welcome to Oldgas, sorry I missed your introduction. Thanks for your compliments, I have seen pics of your truck when I go on to google images, very, very cool, that would be a great addition to any B/A collection. Check out "Buys of the week" Aug. 11 to 17, there was an auction locally here and I bought a whack of cool items and posted them on here. I will have to update my pics again soon. Keep in touch Paul,
Ken.
Posted By: Robb Re: B/A collection - Wed Oct 22 2014 01:04 AM
wow.. you guys have some amazing stuff !
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Wed Oct 22 2014 01:26 AM
Thanks Robb, keep posted as I will post some updated pics of my collection here soon as I made a few nice purchases this past summer.
Ken.
Posted By: Johnay Re: B/A collection - Wed Oct 22 2014 01:37 AM
Where is that station Murphy? Nice truck you have done there also. We were up north a couple of weeks ago and saw this old B/A station just north of Barrie on #11.

Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Wed Oct 22 2014 01:49 AM
That one is still in nice shape! There are still a few original buildings still standing around here although most of them have been resided, etc so the don't resemble the original look. There is still one on the hiway west of Saskatoon about 35 miles in similar shape to the one above.
Ken.
Posted By: Murphy'sBA Re: B/A collection - Wed Oct 22 2014 10:27 AM
The station which my truck is photographed in front of is in Newtonville Ontario on old HWY 2. It's East of Toronto close to Port Hope. Great place to visit & the owners Frank & Betty are the nicest people to meet.

I have seen that BA station on HWY 11 many times on the way up to the Cottage, it's run as a towing service now. I have a few other pics of old BA stations in Ontario which are still standing. Will post pics soon.
Paul
Originally Posted By: Johnay
Where is that station Murphy? Nice truck you have done there also. We were up north a couple of weeks ago and saw this old B/A station just north of Barrie on #11.

Posted By: Murphy'sBA Re: B/A collection - Wed Oct 22 2014 10:52 AM
Here is a then & now pick of a BA station still in use today just off the QEW near Grimsby Ont. Also a now photo of an old BA still being used as a garage in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ont. I pass this one fairly regularly also when I head down to Niagara to visit my parents.
Paul

Attached picture B-A Service station QEW Grimsby Ont..jpg
Attached picture BA in Grimsby ont..jpg
Attached picture NOTL BA Station.jpg
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Sat Oct 25 2014 07:47 PM
Hi everyone, after this thread was brought back up I decided to post some more updated pics of my collection with my latest additions from this summer displayed. Please enjoy.

Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Sat Oct 25 2014 07:54 PM
Some more.

Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: B/A collection - Sat Oct 25 2014 08:03 PM
Looks awesome!
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Sat Oct 25 2014 08:04 PM
More again.

[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/674/3W2BHr.jpg[/img]

[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/908/8xBDqI.jpg[/img]

[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/743/tDHvPu.jpg[/img]

Enjoy,
Ken.
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Sat Oct 25 2014 08:13 PM
Whoa, sorry about the fuzzy pictures, I should take a photography class maybe. I found a coupla more.

So, if you go back through the pics at the start of this thread, you will see some additions and changes.
Ken.
Posted By: Murphy'sBA Re: B/A collection - Sat Oct 25 2014 09:26 PM
Great additions Ken! Love that Sentinel service sign & the Safety Shield service station.
Paul
Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave Re: B/A collection - Sat Oct 25 2014 10:52 PM
Thanx for sharing Ken and all!
Since Ken said that he wanted to see others B/A, Here is the limited amount I have/had. I do wonder if there was a 6foot round B\A sign in the ring and pole I still have, before the Texaco sign was in there??
I do still have the barrel lubester and am thinking of having it powder coated in the same color and add a couple period correct B/A decals.
All came from the same station somewhere around Nelson BC.

Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Sun Oct 26 2014 12:04 AM
Dave, that very well could be that it had the sign there at one time. That's funny you took a picture of your barrel as I have the same barrel, but I have no where to put it so I cut the top off about an inch or so down, cleaned up the edges a bit and sandblasted it and I'm actually going down to the shop tomorrow to paint it. I'm doing green with the embossed letters in white, and then I can hang it up, yours will look very cool all painted up with a bow-tie decal on it.
Ken
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Tue Nov 04 2014 02:21 AM
I just picked these signs up tonight after making the deal late last week. I had 2 signs like these before and sold them a few years back and I have been kicking myself ever since. These kinda fell into my lap so I jumped at the chance to get them as I felt my collection had a huge gap left in it when I sold the other ones and now these can take there place and fill that gap. Ken.

Posted By: Murphy'sBA Re: B/A collection - Tue Nov 04 2014 10:31 AM
Great pair of signs Ken, glad the were saved & will be well preserved in your collection.
Paul
Posted By: muntzman Re: B/A collection - Tue Nov 04 2014 01:25 PM
Love the leather B/A jacket. A piece you will never find in another collection. I hope you wear it to swap meets.
Posted By: coopersplace Re: B/A collection - Sat Nov 08 2014 03:25 PM
I picked up this double sided tin BA sign a couple of weeks back. It had a ton of surface rust on both sides. I had to spend a couple of hours with heavy duty compound to clean it up. It was a little tricky in just cleaning the white areas since the coloured parts are somewhat faded and I wanted to preserve what was there. I haven't seen this sign before but I presume it stands up on top of a rack. If anyone has any info on it I would appreciate hearing more. Cheers, Don.

Attached picture ba1.jpg
Attached picture ba2.jpg
Posted By: Murphy'sBA Re: B/A collection - Sat Nov 08 2014 04:46 PM
Those are two nice signs Don, I would assume the same as you did, they would most likely be part of a battery & tire rack. Very cool find!
Paul
Posted By: Johnay Re: B/A collection - Sat Nov 08 2014 06:43 PM
I posted in the wanted adds but thought it might get more looks here. Picked up a set and half of these cards and I'm looking for ones pictured so I can have front and back side by side under glass. Only the back side of the card needs to be in nice shape.

Posted By: coopersplace Re: B/A collection - Sun Nov 09 2014 10:30 PM
Try ebay: 371185613574 and bid through Oldgas. Cheers, Don
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Sun Nov 09 2014 11:04 PM
Don, that is a cool sign, I have never seen one either. I just picked up another B/A Dealer magazine, they have great pictures of items available from B/A and I can get a grasp on different items and signs etc and the years available.
Johnay, I remember as a kid I had a number of those cards, I have gone back to the farm numerous times to try and find even a few of them and can't find any of them. Ma must have cleaned up after me at one point and threw them away maybe, sniff.
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Sun Nov 09 2014 11:19 PM
Here is a 45 gal drum top I just finished this afternoon.

Ken
Posted By: Murphy'sBA Re: B/A collection - Sun Nov 09 2014 11:54 PM
Great job on the lid Ken, looks terrific!
Paul
Posted By: Johnay Re: B/A collection - Mon Nov 10 2014 12:14 AM
Don..thanks for the link.

Ken..thanks for looking.
Posted By: Murphy'sBA Re: B/A collection - Thu Dec 04 2014 07:09 PM
Hello Fellow BA collectors, thought I'd post these rather special new additions to my collection, These 3 items mean so much more to me since they belong to my Dad. I was visiting my parents earlier this week and my Dad surprised me with a gift of these 3 BA & Gulf Magazines. One is a BA Dealer Magazine from November 1965, also a Gulf Commentator "The new sign in your future" from January 1969 with lots of cool photos from the BA years to the Gulf transition. Finally a Book from Gulf Canada Resources (which my Dad retired from many years ago) with more BA info & photos from 1906 through to the Gulf years up to 1999. Some cool items to read and look through over the upcoming winter months.

Paul

Attached picture P1110831.JPG
Attached picture P1110832.JPG
Attached picture P1110835.JPG
Attached picture P1110836.JPG
Posted By: Murphy'sBA Re: B/A collection - Tue Jan 06 2015 04:13 PM
Hi Don,
Found some photos of old BA stations recently and after looking a few over more closely I think these two colour pics (same station from two angles) might show how your BA battery sign may have been used. Bit hard to read but pretty sure it reads BA "dry charged batteries" etc. The font on your sign appears to be bigger than the sign on the battery rack in this photo but I thought it might give you some idea of what type of rack(looks like it's on wheels) your sign might have been used on. Sorry the pics are rather fuzzy when resized. Hope this helps?

Paul

Originally Posted By: coopersplace
I picked up this double sided tin BA sign a couple of weeks back. It had a ton of surface rust on both sides. I had to spend a couple of hours with heavy duty compound to clean it up. It was a little tricky in just cleaning the white areas since the coloured parts are somewhat faded and I wanted to preserve what was there. I haven't seen this sign before but I presume it stands up on top of a rack. If anyone has any info on it I would appreciate hearing more. Cheers, Don.

Attached picture BA battery rack1.jpg
Attached picture BA battery rack2.jpg
Posted By: a134743 Re: B/A collection - Thu Jan 08 2015 01:50 PM
Very nice collection, how long did it take you ?
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Fri Jan 09 2015 01:10 AM
Thanks Allen, I've been collecting for 15 years now, mostly on a very limited budget. Still lots out there that I would like to get.
Ken.
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Fri Jan 09 2015 01:12 AM
Hey Paul, I saw the same pics and thought the same thing of Don's sign.
Ken.
Posted By: Murphy'sBA Re: B/A collection - Fri Jan 09 2015 09:22 PM
Hey Ken, it looks like it would be a rather easy rack to make up too, bit of round tubing, some shelves & casters. Heading to an antique market near by on Sunday, meeting a vendor who has a few BA tins, some of them full. I'll post my purchases Sunday night.
Paul
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Sat Jan 10 2015 12:46 AM
Right on Paul, keep us posted.
Ken.
Posted By: Murphy'sBA Re: B/A collection - Sat Jan 10 2015 01:31 AM
Will do Ken,
as a teaser here is one I just got this week. Looks like this station was in your Provincial neck of the woods!
Paul

Attached picture BA rain gauge.JPG
Posted By: Murphy'sBA Re: B/A collection - Sun Jan 11 2015 06:32 PM
OK Ken & fellow BA collectors,
As promised here are some pics of this mornings haul.
I did manage to do a bit of damage to the wallet but think I got some nice stuff here.
First is a group shot of the finds which includes a 25lbs cup grease bucket with wire/wood handle, a 5lbs. grease tin which still has the paper label & some grease in it, may have to use some of that on my '62 shop trucks suspension to make it more authentic wink Then we have a quart of Peerless oil. I was not going to buy this one originally as I have one in much better condition but I was struck & intrigued by the yellow & red paint showing under the BA paint. I know that BA was the Canadian distributor of Pennzoil products in Canada at one time but I never thought they would just use Pennzoil cans and paint them over in BA colours, at least that's what I'm guessing? Not sure if you can elaborate on this Ken? I have seen some Pennzoil tins with the wording that BA was the Canadian distributor at the bottom however. Then we have what I think are kind of special pieces, two oilers, one in BA colours & one (my fist one Ken!) in the Gulf transitional colour scheme. These are both full & unopened oilers, tops have not been cut! Finally we have something I have never seen before, perhaps you have Ken or even have one? This is what I will call a squirt bottle, not sure what would have been in it originally, washer fluid perhaps? but it dose look kind of cool! Again, Ken, I will differ to your expertise on this one. I also bought a couple of other items which I hope to get this week in the mail. I will post those items when they arrive. Hope you all have a great day!

Paul

Attached picture BA tins.jpg
Attached picture BA cup grease.jpg
Attached picture BA grease tin.jpg
Attached picture BA-Pen tin.jpg
Posted By: Murphy'sBA Re: B/A collection - Sun Jan 11 2015 06:35 PM
Second installment of pics! Sorry, the caption is under the wrong photo, Not sure how to change that but you get the idea!

Attached picture BA-Pen tin2.jpg

Description: Close up of the Peerless tin with yellow & red showing, Pennzoil colours perhaps?
Attached picture BA oiler1uo.jpg
Attached picture BA oiler2uo.jpg
Attached picture BA trans cl oiler1uo.jpg
Posted By: Murphy'sBA Re: B/A collection - Sun Jan 11 2015 06:38 PM
Third installment of pics.

Attached picture BA trans cl oiler2uo.jpg
Attached picture BA sqt. bot..jpg

Description: Cool squirt bottle, contained washer fluid for attendants to use to clean your windshields perhaps?
Attached picture BA sqt. bot2..jpg
Posted By: Murphy'sBA Re: B/A collection - Sun Jan 11 2015 06:46 PM
One more, got this one recently. Now I have to find a poster like yours to go with it Ken.
Paul

Attached picture BA sentinel patch.jpg
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Sun Jan 11 2015 08:16 PM
Nice score Paul! You had a good day, about the yellowing on the bottom of the quart can, it's just the pigment in the ink on the green from moisture, I have a few cans, 4 oz, 5 gal pails, 2 gal, and quarts with the same. The Pennzoil has different red and black stripes on the bottom, but still good that you got it, I hate to let even those behind because they still are displayable and if kept high and dry won't get any worse.
The squirt bottle is very cool, yes I have seen them and no I don't have one and yes I do want to find one. That would be my guess that they were used for w/s fluid, or possibly for something in the back service shop.
Now that you have a transitional item in your collection, I predict it will by far, not be the last, mark my words. Think about it, the other two logos were around 20 years give or take, and the transitional logo only was around for approx. 2 years, makes it a lot more rare in my opinion, but that's just me, ha.
The rain gauge is nice too, I missed out on one on ebay a few weeks back. Very nice additions Paul, well done.
Now, I was visiting a friend of mine yesterday and he has a 5 foot green/red and a 5 foot blue/orange that are for sale, they would sure look good in your newly renovated shop, hint, hint. He also has a 36 inch there that belongs to another friend that also is for sale, just thought I would throw that out to ya bud.
Anyway, I hope that sheds a little light for you, again, nice score, keep it up.
Ken.
Posted By: coopersplace Re: B/A collection - Sun Jan 11 2015 11:11 PM
Hi Paul, thanks for the photos. That rack would be perfect for some of the newer BA smalls that I have been picking up. Definitely going to have to look for one. Just put up my first plastic BA pump plate that I bought in November. I thought I had one when I bought it but I only have porcelain ones so it is a keeper now. Great score on the tins. Keep it up. Cheers, Don.

Posted By: Murphy'sBA Re: B/A collection - Mon Jan 12 2015 12:07 AM
Hey Thanks Ken & Don,
Thanks for the info on the yellow paint Ken, would not have guessed that! My take on it was kind of a shot in the dark. I think you are right about the transitional colours stuff, the hunt is on now! I'll be in touch about he signs.

Don, very cool Velvet 98 sign as well as your other ones. I've been in on a few auctions trying to buy those also but always out bid. Still looking however. Saw one of those BA Diesel signs on Ebay not long ago, nice stuff.
Paul
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Mon Jan 12 2015 01:46 AM
Paul, you are welcome.

Don, nice line-up of pump plates.

Ken.
Posted By: Murphy'sBA Re: B/A collection - Wed Jan 14 2015 10:18 PM
A few more goodies arrived in the mail today. First we have an unused BA credit book to go with the credit sign I found in December. Then we have a BA Peerless oil miniature coin bank in excellent condition.
Paul

Attached picture BA credit book.jpg
Attached picture BA credit sign book.jpg
Attached picture BA Peerless oil coin bank1.jpg
Attached picture BA Peerless oil coin bank2.jpg
Posted By: Murphy'sBA Re: B/A collection - Wed Jan 14 2015 10:33 PM
Few more, a BA Solar Heat badge, not sure what these were used for, home heating oil tank caps? Any ideas Ken? Also found these not long ago, plastic BA sheets, perhaps these were part of exterior station banners? Then we have one of my favourite cans, I really dig the look of this BA special gasoline tin, not sure why but perhaps its the use of the three colours on the tin and not just on the logo. Finally a pic of a new display in my shop, you can get a glimpse of the BA colour scheme I went with in the shop. Bottom section is the dark BA green with a red stripe dividing the green & white. I know BA never really used a red stripe between the two colours but I think it fits! The blank space below the United Delco Service sign is for a display case I will build to display the smaller items in my collection.
Hope you all have a great evening.
Paul

Attached picture BA Solar Heat badge.jpg
Attached picture BA plastic banner pieces.jpg
Attached picture BA special gasoline.jpg
Attached picture BA shop display1.jpg
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Thu Jan 15 2015 10:55 PM
Nice score Paul, yep, you hit it on the head about the badges, they would attach on the filler to indicate heating fuel. It's coming along well.
Ken.
Posted By: Murphy'sBA Re: B/A collection - Thu Jan 15 2015 11:21 PM
Thanks Ken, this collecting is really becoming addictive. I just can't seem to stop now laugh
Posted By: WasagaBA Re: B/A collection - Mon Apr 13 2015 11:27 PM
hi ken, a few of my small and growing collection...

frost cop radiator tag, '50s?...

Attached picture ba8-vi.jpg
Posted By: WasagaBA Re: B/A collection - Mon Apr 13 2015 11:31 PM
1968 TBA catalog...

Attached picture ba5731-vi.jpg
Posted By: WasagaBA Re: B/A collection - Mon Apr 13 2015 11:33 PM
an unopened household oil with original package...

Attached picture ba5740-vi.jpg
Posted By: WasagaBA Re: B/A collection - Mon Apr 13 2015 11:36 PM
an unopened, very nice oil tone...

Attached picture ba5744-vi.jpg
Posted By: WasagaBA Re: B/A collection - Mon Apr 13 2015 11:40 PM
98 gasoline pump glass...

Attached picture ba-vi.jpg
Posted By: WasagaBA Re: B/A collection - Mon Apr 13 2015 11:44 PM
'67 or '68 2 gallon, any reason behind the lighter and darker blues used?
more later.

Attached picture ba5730-vi.jpg
Posted By: KL Bird Re: B/A collection - Wed Apr 15 2015 03:15 AM
Hey Dave, nice collection you have going there. About the lighter and darker colors, now this is only my opinion and guess, but I think the lighter blue was used in 1967 into 1968 and then moved to the darker blue into 1969 to make the transition to Gulf a little less dramatic. Thanks for posting.
Ken.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk