Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: oldnfuelish JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Mon Jun 03 2013 08:49 PM
Hello all! Time again for "Found Along The Way" ,that Petro PIcture showcase of the cool things that you found while out cruising,looking for that new pump,or sign that you just know is out there somewhere,or just happen to pass while ridin the back roads ! In Fox Lake,IL is Fred's Service..now you can't see it in this pic ..

But from my vantage point,I could just see a pair of feet in the first bay!so I stopped in and asked if I could take a look and found this ol girl....

She looks pretty good,but she's not going anywhere soon.the owners son told me that the grandmother did the touch up many years ago,and on that wall it's gonna stay. Although they no longer sell gas,it was always a Mobil station .
This station was a union at one time I'm pretty sure,now a boat repair place.

This last station ,the guy was happy to let me take a couple pics,but wasn't happy being the owner of it. Said it was originally built in 1957 as standard oil...

. A real nice porcelain station.over the years he said it was Union,and also a 66..when I told him I collected pumps and stuff,he said" to bad I scrapped them old pumps when I bought the place" don't you hate that?lol!

Some nice looking porcelain under that paint I bet...
To bad the owner is so fed up with the village,he doesn't want to do anything,cause they will raise his taxes,and he's already hurting.

So lets see what you have found in your travels,and a big thanks for all the great pics last month!!! Lets keep er goin!
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Mon Jun 03 2013 09:02 PM
Wow that mobil peg. Is cool, you have found some great stuff lately Mick !
Posted By: 60wayne Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Wed Jun 05 2013 12:57 AM
more

Attached picture 040.JPG
Attached picture 041.JPG
Attached picture 042.JPG
Attached picture 074.JPG
Posted By: 60wayne Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Wed Jun 05 2013 12:58 AM
more

Attached picture 075.JPG
Posted By: eshaver Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Wed Jun 05 2013 01:03 AM
Wayne , looks like you were maybe up near the mountains , maybe Stanton ? Ed Shaver
Posted By: strnge Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Wed Jun 05 2013 02:35 AM
Junction, UT

Found my favorite gas station!!!

While on a cruse around the country with the family, I discovered this gem!

Street view

Closer

Right Side

Close Up Right Side

Single Bay On Right SIde

Left Side

Complete Left Side

Under the Gas Pump Canopy Looking In To The Front Of The Gas Station

Close Up Of Front Of Gas Station

Looking Out Towards The Front Canopy From Inside Front Of Gas Station

The door at the back of the front area of the gas station was the office/parts area.
The door at the back of the bay was the employee restroom.
The door on the left outside the gas station was a restroom for customers.

Posted By: Nicole Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Wed Jun 05 2013 02:55 AM
Love the terra cotta and turquoise colors!
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Wed Jun 05 2013 03:02 AM
Mike (Strnge), that station is amazing! It would look awesome in my back yard.
Posted By: strnge Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Wed Jun 05 2013 05:47 AM
After I move out of the San Francisco Bay area in a few years, I will duplicate that station in my back yard. I'd put one car in the bay and one under the canopy.

I almost missed seeing it behind all the trees while driving down the road.

Notice all the windows in the bay face south and one facing east? They built it that way, so they could get the most possible light for the bay.

Posted By: 60wayne Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Wed Jun 05 2013 12:20 PM
The Exxon signs were on RT 20 in up state NY.

The Gulf station was on RT26 headed south from the Bouckville NY show before you got into PA.
RT 26 is a really nice country road.
Posted By: 60wayne Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Wed Jun 05 2013 12:49 PM
A city garage in Albany NY

Attached picture 026.JPG
Attached picture 027.JPG
Posted By: strnge Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Thu Jun 06 2013 02:02 AM
That would be a great neon to own!
Posted By: Mike M. Another Pure Oil station in it's new life - Thu Jun 06 2013 02:11 AM
Tracked down another Pure station from my old photos in Mahtomedi, Minnesota. Original photo taken soon after it opened in 1958.

Attached picture 007a.jpg
Attached picture pure.jpg
Attached picture pure1.jpg
Posted By: Nicole Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Thu Jun 06 2013 02:20 AM
strnge...

Surprised the windows are facing south because that would have made the bay unbearably hot unless it was just kept open all the time and there was a cross breeze.
Posted By: strnge Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Thu Jun 06 2013 05:03 AM
Looks like their average high temperature during July (the hottest month) is 89. Before and after that it drops or raises about 10 degrees a month.
Posted By: strnge Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Fri Jun 07 2013 12:03 AM
Today I contacted the Junction, Ut historian. She said the gas station I posted photos of earlier in this thread was a Sinclair gas station.
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Fri Jun 07 2013 12:06 AM
Man I would love to have that garage sign.
Posted By: strnge Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Sat Jun 08 2013 03:54 AM
Nash Car Dealership with gas station attached in Maryland:

Original Nash Sign found inside the dealership.
Posted By: strnge Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Sat Jun 08 2013 04:05 AM
Wisconsin

Located on the side of the gas station.
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Sat Jun 08 2013 04:30 AM
That G&B 89 is cool. I want one of those.
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Sat Jun 08 2013 11:35 PM
Great pictures guys , this is a little south of me , s932 Shawn will recognize the dog-n suds , me and my buddies called it the arff and barf as a kid, still open and a cool place to get a burger on a Saturday night , the station was a Phillips 66 I believe and it closed in the early 80's the best I can recall.

Attached picture DSCN0467.JPG
Attached picture DSCN0469.JPG
Attached picture DSCN0470.JPG
Attached picture DSCN0471.JPG
Posted By: s932 Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Sat Jun 08 2013 11:59 PM
Yeah I know both places and have ate at the dogs and suds many times.
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Sun Jun 09 2013 12:42 AM
Travis, I am going to guess you are driving a 64-66 Chevy truck. How close am I?
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Sun Jun 09 2013 01:41 AM
Matt your correct ,65 chevy , you have a good eye!
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Sun Jun 09 2013 02:58 AM
At first I was going to say 60-66 but realized I would be able to see the window devider in the picture if it were a 60-63.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Sun Jun 09 2013 09:31 PM
Some cool old neon in Port Huron Mi.

Attached picture Firestone Neon Port Huron.jpg
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Sun Jun 09 2013 11:04 PM
Cool firestone Steve , today's local photo's we got.

Attached picture DSCN0489.JPG
Attached picture DSCN0487.JPG
Attached picture DSCN0486.JPG
Attached picture DSCN0484.JPG
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Sun Jun 09 2013 11:10 PM
Here what's left of the 2 farm oil jobbers of Madison co. where I live . The yellow building was Mobil and the white was a Phillips 66 jobber that went out of business a few years ago.

Attached picture DSCN0494.JPG
Attached picture DSCN0495.JPG
Posted By: Let er' Buck Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Mon Jun 10 2013 07:54 PM
I found this one while driving around northeast Colorado looks like an Old Texaco or possibly a Sinclair, it still had the sign pole out front and the old Island for the pumps! I was happy to see someone was still living in it.

This old station is in Pierce CO it's now someones house as well not sure what kind of station it was but have heard it was a Texaco as they had a bulk plant in Ault CO just a couple of miles south of here.

Posted By: Mike M. Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Wed Jun 12 2013 06:59 PM
Ok Mike was that a true 65 SSBA sitting over that work pit in Wisconsin. It looks like a pretty original Belvedere.
Posted By: 60wayne Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Thu Jun 13 2013 01:13 AM
Rt 29 in Va.

Attached picture 064.JPG
Attached picture 065.JPG
Posted By: 60wayne Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Thu Jun 13 2013 01:22 AM
Rt 151 in Va.

Attached picture 066.JPG
Attached picture 067.JPG
Attached picture 068.JPG
Attached picture 069.JPG
Posted By: 60wayne Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Thu Jun 13 2013 01:26 AM
Miss

Attached picture 070.JPG
Attached picture 071.JPG
Attached picture 072.JPG
Attached picture 073.JPG
Posted By: Catauladave Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Thu Jun 13 2013 01:33 AM
Looks like the Phillips 66 station that I worked at in 1970.
Dave Jones
Posted By: It's for sale Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Thu Jun 13 2013 02:13 PM
looks like the one I worked at in 1966
Posted By: 60wayne Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Fri Jun 14 2013 02:15 AM
Well I was a passenger today to go see a few people in NC. I did my best to try to get my friend to slow down so I could snap a few pictures. Not much luck, so most have a wiper or a mirror in them. Best I could do !

Attached picture 061.JPG
Attached picture 065.JPG
Attached picture 066.JPG
Attached picture 067.JPG
Posted By: 60wayne Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Fri Jun 14 2013 02:19 AM
Met with the guy that owns the general store, and other two buildings today.

Attached picture 068.JPG
Attached picture 069.JPG
Attached picture 070.JPG
Attached picture 076.JPG
Posted By: 60wayne Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Fri Jun 14 2013 02:21 AM
more

Attached picture 071.JPG
Attached picture 072.JPG
Attached picture 073.JPG
Attached picture 077.JPG
Posted By: 60wayne Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Fri Jun 14 2013 02:23 AM
Now that I think about it most all of these pictures are in Va.

Attached picture 074.JPG
Attached picture 075.JPG
Attached picture 078.JPG
Attached picture 079.JPG
Posted By: 60wayne Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Fri Jun 14 2013 02:25 AM
What a fantastic 76 sign !

Attached picture 080.JPG
Attached picture 081.JPG
Attached picture 083.JPG
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Fri Jun 14 2013 02:51 AM
The stories those stations could tell if they could take.
Posted By: 60wayne Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Sun Jun 16 2013 02:08 AM
rt 60 in Va.

Attached picture 068.JPG
Attached picture 069.JPG
Attached picture 070.JPG
Posted By: 60wayne Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Sun Jun 16 2013 02:11 AM
rt 13 in Va.

Attached picture 071.JPG
Attached picture 072.JPG
Posted By: 60wayne Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Tue Jun 25 2013 02:30 AM
More

Attached picture 071.JPG
Attached picture 072.JPG
Posted By: 60wayne Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Tue Jun 25 2013 02:40 AM
more

Attached picture 073.JPG
Attached picture 074.JPG
Attached picture 075.JPG
Attached picture 076.JPG
Posted By: rustynuts Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Thu Jun 27 2013 11:13 PM
I haven't found much else lately but here's what I've been driving by almost everyday. The owner of the station let me take some photos & walk around. I'm not sure what he'll say if I ask to stir up the soil. Once people know...its usually no. The other two signs I passed on the way home.

Attached picture faw1.jpg
Attached picture faw2.jpg
Attached picture faw3.jpg
Posted By: HI-OCTANE Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Thu Jun 27 2013 11:34 PM
Persistence pays off, Took me three to five years to get some of my signs. You would be surprise,and one day you happened to catch them in the right mood or after someone dies. Don't give up. Some times you just have to be a pain in the *****.
Posted By: JGD Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Fri Jun 28 2013 01:38 PM
I'm sure others have seen this one, but I saw it for the first time on my way to CTO show this year. I love the sign pole, picture doesn't do it justice. This may be a store selling petro antiques, was closed when i went by but i thought i saw price tags on some of the stuff inside. The outside pumps are repos I think, but there was some real ones inside I could see in the back.

Attached picture photo 2 (9).JPG
Attached picture photo 1 (10).JPG
Attached picture photo 4 (4).JPG
Attached picture photo 3 (7).JPG
Posted By: Steven C. Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Fri Jun 28 2013 01:51 PM
Jon,
I'm so glad you posted these pics!! I saw that place out of the corner of my eye on our way home from CTO but we didn't stop!! The only view I really got was out the back window of the truck. Great pics!! Thanks!!
And your right, that sign post is top shelf!!!
Posted By: JimT Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Fri Jun 28 2013 11:46 PM
Thanks Jon.
Posted By: 60wayne Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Sat Jun 29 2013 02:03 AM
A station I ran into in Pa.

Attached picture 045.JPG
Posted By: 60wayne Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Sat Jun 29 2013 02:10 AM
Found this guy hanging out at the gas station yesterday morning.

Attached picture 029.JPG
Attached picture 030.JPG
Posted By: 60wayne Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Sat Jun 29 2013 10:42 PM
Have been driving by this for years but today was the first time I saw it.

Attached picture 105.JPG
Attached picture 104.JPG
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Sat Jun 29 2013 11:07 PM
Aint it funny how that happens! Great pictures everyone!
Posted By: 60wayne Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Sat Jun 29 2013 11:11 PM
In Nashua NH.

Attached picture 110.JPG
Posted By: Oldgas Re: JUNE....FOUND ALONG THE WAY!(the original) - Sun Jun 30 2013 06:47 PM
The Dino shared a backyard in Louisville with a ton of signs and ad pieces. Some were old and some more recent.

The old gas station in Louisville has a single curved pillar for the canopy.

Description: Sinclair Dino in backyard on Frankfort Avenue in Louisville, KY
Attached picture louisville-frankfort.jpg

Description: Old gas station on Johnson St. in Louisville, KY.
Attached picture louisville-oldgasstation.jpg
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk