Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 57tbirdkid TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "GOODYEAR TIRES" - Thu Jun 06 2013 11:37 PM

Some company History:
In 1898, Frank Seiberling established the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company in Akron, Ohio.

The company was named for Charles Goodyear, the man who developed vulcanized rubber. Seiberling borrowed 3,500 dollars from a brother-in-law to purchase the company's first factory. Goodyear originally employed thirteen workers, but the firm quickly emerged as a leader in the production of rubber items, including bicycle tires, pneumatic carriage and automobile tires, horseshoes, and hoses. By 1926, Goodyear was the largest rubber company in the world.

David Hill, who purchased nearly one-third of the 100,000 dollars worth of stock that the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company issued in 1898, became the company's first president. The company went through two additional presidents before Seiberling became chief executive in 1906. The founder of the company remained as the firm's president until 1921, when an economic recession prompted him to resign. Seiberling personally developed the company's logo -- a winged foot -- the same logo that the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company utilizes in the twenty-first century.

Goodyear led the industry in the development of new products. In 1903, the company developed the first tubeless automobile tire. In 1909, the firm branched out into the aviation industry, producing the first airplane tires. Before this point, pilots primarily utilized bicycle tires on their planes. Three years later, Goodyear produced its first blimp. In 1919, the firm also developed the first bulletproof gas tank for planes. The company continued to lead the industry in creating new products throughout the twentieth century.

While the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company prospered, its workers sometimes suffered. In the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, factory workers faced poor working conditions, low wages, and almost no benefits. This was true for the workers employed by rubber manufacturers in Akron, Ohio, such the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, B.F. Goodrich, and Firestone Tire and Rubber Company. In an attempt to alleviate their conditions, workers established a union named the United Rubber Workers in 1935. The following year, this union organized its first major strike within Akron's rubber industry.

The strike began as a protest against a plan created by Goodyear to reduce wages and increase the pace of production. The workers utilized the concept of the "sit-down" strike. In the past, when workers went on strike they would leave the factory to join picket lines. Company owners often hired "scab" laborers to cross the picket lines and continue production. The practice of using scab labor made it difficult for striking workers to obtain their demands. In contrast, in a sit-down strike, workers quit working but still occupied their places within the factory. This process meant that the factory owners could not send in additional workers to continue the job. In addition, factory management was more reluctant to use private security forces or other strikebreakers to intimidate the striking workers, as that approach threatened destruction to plant property.

In addition to the sit-down strike, the rubber workers also organized long picket lines in protest. Akron's mayor, Lee D. Schroy, attempted to send in the police to put down the strike, but the police officers refused to do so when they faced the thousands of organized workers. In the long term, the rubber companies were forced to recognize the United Rubber Workers and negotiate better contracts with workers. One immediate success was a six-hour workday.

Several reasons existed for the workers' success in this strike. First, sit-in strikes made it much more difficult for employers to replace their striking workers. Equally as important in this strike was the federal government's recent passage of the Wagner Act. This legislation made unions legal for the first time in United States history. Finally, the United Rubber Workers belonged to a larger organization, the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO). The CIO consisted of an umbrella organization for multiple unions. These unions worked together by providing both moral and material support to CIO-member unions, especially when these member unions went on strike.
Posted By: pumpingethyl Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "GOODYEAR TIRES" - Fri Jun 07 2013 12:25 AM
Guess I will start it off this month. Here are the Goodyear items I have.

Posted By: Gas globe guy Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "GOODYEAR TIRES" - Fri Jun 07 2013 12:44 AM
I love all of the stuff in the 4th picture!!
Posted By: gmstuff Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "GOODYEAR TIRES" - Fri Jun 07 2013 12:45 AM
Here are a few that I have on my computer, I'll get some others tomorrow..

Attached picture good1.jpg
Attached picture photo 1.JPG
Attached picture good3.jpg
Posted By: 66phillips Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "GOODYEAR TIRES" - Fri Jun 07 2013 12:51 AM
Nice signs guys. These are the two I have.

Attached picture goodyearflange1.jpg
Attached picture 2x6goodyear.JPG
Posted By: Tankar Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "GOODYEAR TIRES" - Fri Jun 07 2013 01:17 AM
Not a lot of Goodyear

Attached picture 001 (550x413) - Copy.jpg
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "GOODYEAR TIRES" - Fri Jun 07 2013 05:34 AM
Here's a few signs.

Attached picture rsz_007.jpg
Attached picture rsz_bs_signs_nov_12-28.jpg
Attached picture rsz_gy_tufsyn_tin_tire_insert.jpg
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "GOODYEAR TIRES" - Fri Jun 07 2013 05:54 AM
Few more.

Attached picture rsz_good_year_vertical_ssp_bs-1_.jpg
Attached picture rsz_goodyear_dsp_hanger-1.jpg
Posted By: nochevys Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "GOODYEAR TIRES" - Fri Jun 07 2013 11:56 AM
the only goodyear item I have:

Attached picture IMG_1423.JPG
Posted By: gmstuff Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "GOODYEAR TIRES" - Fri Jun 07 2013 11:40 PM
Here are a few more smalls.. Sorry for the lousy pic of the tacker sign..

Attached picture good4.jpg
Attached picture good5.jpg
Attached picture good6.jpg
Attached picture good7.jpg
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "GOODYEAR TIRES" - Sat Jun 08 2013 12:14 AM
Some nice stuff everyone keep em coming
Posted By: strnge Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "GOODYEAR TIRES" - Sat Jun 08 2013 03:46 AM
Some photos from shows I have gone to:

There were 2 versions of this sign made by GoodYear. The one pictured above was the blue version and this is the green version that they made much less of. Not mine but I plan to own one some day!
Posted By: sandman325 Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "GOODYEAR TIRES" - Sat Jun 08 2013 03:58 PM
Here are a few tin-tacker signs I have picked up in the past.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "GOODYEAR TIRES" - Sun Jun 09 2013 09:13 PM
Posting these for a friend:

Posted By: pumpingethyl Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "GOODYEAR TIRES" - Sun Jun 09 2013 09:40 PM
Posted By: coopersplace Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "GOODYEAR TIRES" - Sun Jun 09 2013 10:17 PM
Some of my Good Year. Cheers, Don.

Attached picture rsz_img_0889.jpg
Attached picture rsz_img_0897.jpg
Attached picture rsz_img_0903.jpg
Attached picture rsz_1img_0905.jpg
Posted By: huskybob Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "GOODYEAR TIRES" - Mon Jun 10 2013 12:01 AM
Posted By: Dave Richey Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "GOODYEAR TIRES" - Mon Jun 10 2013 01:05 AM
A bit modern but I doubt if Enzo posed for many posters.

Attached picture FER1.JPG
Attached picture Fer2.JPG
Posted By: strnge Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "GOODYEAR TIRES" - Mon Jun 10 2013 03:05 PM
Don,

That goodyear display case is great!
Posted By: wfort39663 Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "GOODYEAR TIRES" - Mon Jun 10 2013 07:57 PM
A hard to find Goodyear sign pole thermometer.

Posted By: strnge Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "GOODYEAR TIRES" - Thu Jun 13 2013 10:12 PM
Posted By: hawkike Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "GOODYEAR TIRES" - Thu Jun 13 2013 10:20 PM
Originally Posted By: wfort39663
A hard to find Goodyear sign pole thermometer.

Nice one Bill!
Posted By: strnge Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "GOODYEAR TIRES" - Sun Jun 16 2013 05:31 AM
I know theres more Goodyear stuff out there....come on guys, show us what you have seen or have.
Posted By: coopersplace Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "GOODYEAR TIRES" - Sun Jun 16 2013 04:31 PM
Okay, okay! Here is the last of it. Just had to include the last photo of the matches. To me they are priceless. Cheers, Don.

Attached picture gy1.jpg
Attached picture gy2.jpg
Attached picture gy3.jpg
Attached picture gy4.jpg
Attached picture gy5.jpg
Posted By: bagged1961 Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "GOODYEAR TIRES" - Sun Jun 16 2013 06:18 PM
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk