Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 57tbirdkid TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Mon Sep 16 2013 11:39 PM

This month I have decided to go in a different direction. I would like all members with auto enamel advertising to post their items. Any company will be accepted. Many paint companies such as BPS, Martin Senour, Dupont, ect. made paints for automobiles. Many people brush painted their cars at their home to give them a fresh look. You could walk down to your local hardware store buy house paint and auto paint. Many of these companies integrated auto paints in with their house paint ad's. Seeing Jim's site dedicated to auto paint is what sparked my interest in old auto body related advertising. Everyone's contributions are much appreciated. Lets see what's out there!!

Few counter displays and cans................................

Attached picture 72713 019.jpg
Attached picture 72713 020.jpg
Attached picture 72713 028.jpg

Attached picture 72713 029.jpg
Posted By: Oldgas Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Wed Sep 18 2013 03:59 PM
Great stuff so far! Love the graphics on the labels, signs and brochures. Here are some of my half pint auto paint cans. Back in the day when people painted their own cars, there were lots of brands, like Effecto, Steelcote, KoteAKar, Nu-Enamel, Nu Back, Armor Coat and Retardo.

Description: Half pint or less auto paints
Attached picture autopaint-halfpint.jpg

Description: Pittsburg Ditzler Auto Paint flange sign from Canada
Attached picture pitts-ditzler-flg.jpg
I brush painted a 1951 Packard. Came out way better than I expected. Good quality brush and right thinner helped.
The older it got and the more it got washed and waxed , the better it looked.
Posted By: gmstuff Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Wed Sep 18 2013 10:52 PM
Here are a few from my collection.. I'll see if I can get photos of some others..Enjoy..

Attached picture b2.jpg
Attached picture b3.jpg
Attached picture b4.jpg
Attached picture b1.jpg
Attached picture b5.jpg
Posted By: gmstuff Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Wed Sep 18 2013 10:55 PM
Some others..

Attached picture b6.jpg
Attached picture oldgas1.jpg
Attached picture b3.jpg
Attached picture b2.jpg
Very nice items so far keep em coming!
Posted By: Oldgas Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Thu Sep 19 2013 06:21 PM
Great stuff! Love the color chart signs.

Description: Effecto wheel color chart sign
Attached picture effecto-wheelchart.jpg

Description: Roxo SpraySpeed auto paint sign
Attached picture roxo-sprayspeed-sign.jpg

Description: Martin Senour auto paint wind-spinner sign
Attached picture martinsenour-windspin-sign.jpg
does Chi-namel count? ha. picked this up today. chuck

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The paint section had some serious non-politically correct stuff. From Jim's "Retardo" paint to the Chi-Namel Wood Varnish. Stuff you couldn't market today for sure.
Posted By: Mike M. Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Sat Sep 21 2013 05:39 PM
A few of mine

Attached picture paint8.jpg
Attached picture paint1.jpg
Attached picture paint4.jpg
Attached picture paint2.jpg
Attached picture paint5.jpg
Posted By: Mike M. Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Sat Sep 21 2013 05:50 PM
A couple more

Attached picture PAINT9.jpg
Attached picture paint3.jpg
Attached picture paint6.jpg
Just a bit of Whiz. Cheers, Don.

Attached picture rsz_img_1167.jpg
Attached picture rsz_img_1165.jpg
Attached picture rsz_img_1166.jpg
Early celluloid over tin easel sign
Posted By: Oldgas Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Mon Sep 23 2013 11:08 PM
I love that chart sign, Dennis! Super graphic. Here is a shop sign and brochure to go with it.

Description: Acme Automotive Paint
Attached picture acme-autopaint-sign.jpg

Description: Acme auto paint chip brochure cover
Attached picture acmebrocure.jpg
A mailer from BPS in 1926. Go to the hardware store and present the coupon and get a free paint sample.

Attached picture DSC03174.JPG
Attached picture DSC03175.JPG
Posted By: 67Chev4X4 Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Tue Sep 24 2013 07:22 AM
Well when you started this thread you got me a thinking about what was on the wall out at the college body shop. So tonight I took my camera with me to class and this will cover about a third of it. I don't know the age of this stuff but the college opened in 1968 or there abouts. If I remember I'll take more next week.

Attached picture PDR_0235.JPG
Attached picture PDR_0238.JPG
Attached picture PDR_0243.JPG
Attached picture PDR_0236.JPG
Posted By: 67Chev4X4 Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Tue Sep 24 2013 07:27 AM
More

Attached picture PDR_0237.JPG
Attached picture PDR_0240.JPG
Attached picture PDR_0239.JPG
Attached picture PDR_0242.JPG
Posted By: 67Chev4X4 Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Tue Sep 24 2013 07:31 AM
And one more for now and the fender is part of the sign. Mitch

Attached picture PDR_0244.JPG
neat graphics on cans not early but cool

Attached picture 1236771_10200863651020263_1507142108_n.jpg
Attached picture 1236913_10200863652020288_992202817_n.jpg
Posted By: Mike M. Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Wed Sep 25 2013 03:13 AM
An old one hanging in my Body Shop>

Attached picture sw1.jpg
Posted By: Oldgas Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Wed Sep 25 2013 11:51 AM
A few more items from my body shop collection

Description: Cardboard counter display
Attached picture autopaintdisplay.jpg

Description: BPS "Best Paint Sold" auto paint brochure rack
Attached picture bps-rack.jpg

Description: Chief truck paint chart sign
Attached picture chief-truckchartsign.jpg

Description: Mobil auto paint clock
Attached picture mobilpaintclock.jpg
Posted By: 67Chev4X4 Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Tue Oct 01 2013 07:29 AM
Well I took the camera back out to auto body class tonight I took some more pictures of signs on the wall and back in the tool room. Some of the things there are two of each this is the reason for what looks like the same pictures. Mitch

Attached picture PDR_0245.JPG
Attached picture PDR_0246.JPG
Attached picture PDR_0247.JPG
Posted By: 67Chev4X4 Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Tue Oct 01 2013 07:32 AM
more items

Attached picture PDR_0248.JPG
Attached picture PDR_0249.JPG
Attached picture PDR_0250.JPG
Posted By: 67Chev4X4 Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Tue Oct 01 2013 07:36 AM
There's more on the walls but this is the last I'll take. Mitch

Attached picture PDR_0251.JPG
Attached picture PDR_0252.JPG
Attached picture PDR_0253.JPG
Posted By: Oldgas Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Tue Oct 01 2013 09:23 PM
Ditzler was a big player in auto paints for most of the last century, but finding a sign in good condition from them is much harder than DuPont auto paint signs. Most older DuPont signs were porcelain while all Ditzler signs I have seen are painted tin, except for the electrics.

Description: Ditzler Ppg blackboard
Attached picture ditzler-blackboard.jpg

Description: Ditzler Quality Auto Painting Ppg
Attached picture ditzler-quality.jpg

Description: Ditzler Paint Shop
Attached picture ditzler-paintshop.jpg

Description: Ditzler with heavy die-cut letters behind neon
Attached picture ditzler-neon.jpg
Posted By: huskybob Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Wed Oct 02 2013 04:56 AM
Posted By: Oldgas Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Wed Oct 02 2013 03:52 PM
huskybob,
Love the H.Earl Clack color in the SW OK can!

Here is a Canadian sign for Sherwin Williams OK auto paint. And a DuPont Duco, Dulux sign from Canada. A Lucas auto refinishing flange sign.

One of my favorites are the wipe-on "powder puff" auto paints. Applied with a pad, they leave "no brush marks!" The Namel-et can says, "Use only on cheap used cars."

Description: Sherwin Williams OK auto paint, Canada
Attached picture sw-ok-canada.jpg

Description: DuPont Duco Dulux auto paint, Canada
Attached picture ducodulux-canada.jpg

Description: Lucas auto paint flange
Attached picture lucas-autopaint-flg.jpg

Description: "Powder Puff" wipe-on auto paint cans
Attached picture wipe-autopaintcans.jpg
Posted By: Oldgas Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Wed Oct 02 2013 10:38 PM
A few electric auto paint signs in my collection. Steelcote made a line of auto paints for decades 50+ years ago in my home town. They are still in business today making industrial finishes.

Description: Ditzler rev-paint glass electric sign
Attached picture ditzler-elecglass.jpg

Description: DuPont Duco Dulux rev-paint glass electric sign
Attached picture dupont-elecglass.jpg

Description: Steelcote Paint neon
Attached picture steelcote-neon.jpg

Description: Sherwin Williams Automotive neon
Attached picture sw-auto-neon.jpg

Description: Paint Department neon
Attached picture paintdept-neon.jpg
Posted By: Oldgas Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Thu Oct 03 2013 07:06 PM
A few more pics from my collection. Love the graphics with a lady dressed up painting her car. cool

Description: Beckwith Chandler auto paint clock
Attached picture beckwith-chandler-clock.jpg

Description: Ditzler auto paint thermometers showing what materials to use at different temperatures
Attached picture ditzler-thermos3.jpg

Description: Egyptian Auto finish wood thermometer
Attached picture egyptian-thermo.jpg

Description: Glidden auto paint sign with die-cut car bodies showing rear panel with various colors
Attached picture glidden-auto-diecut.jpg

Description: Sears Roebuck kit to paint your own car with a wipe-on powder puff
Attached picture sears-wipeonkit.jpg
Posted By: Mike M. Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Thu Oct 03 2013 08:19 PM
Sweet stuff Jim. I threw so many of those thermometers away when we would switch paint suppliers.... You always know that moment when you see something and call yourself "*****" for doing something dumb when you were young!
Posted By: Oldgas Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Sat Oct 05 2013 12:12 AM
A few more auto paint items. The Bake Oven Association sign is one of my favorites. Love the graphics.
The Wonder Worker sign strikes a chord. Lots of folks expect body shop techs to be wonder workers. wink

Description: Bake Oven Association Auto Painting
Attached picture bakeoven-autopaintsign.jpg

Description: Sherwin Williams OPEX auto paint. Rough, but I've never seen another.
Attached picture sw-opex-flg.jpg

Description: Another sampling of auto paint cans in my collection
Attached picture autopaint-quarts.jpg

Description: Wonder Worker Enamel
Attached picture wonderworker-enamel-sign.jpg
Great thread, and great items guys! Thanks for sharing everyone. Love those neons Jim!
Posted By: Oldgas Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Sat Oct 05 2013 06:41 PM
A few more auto paint signs, Plicote, Devoe and Nitro-Valspar.

Description: Plicote counter display
Attached picture plicote-counterdisplay.jpg

Description: Devoe color chart sign
Attached picture devoe-chart.jpg

Description: Nitro-Valspar sign
Attached picture nitro-valspar-sign.jpg
Posted By: Tankar Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Mon Oct 07 2013 09:40 PM
Not much for me but after seeing what has been found I wish I would have bought more items related to paints ect. all 5 cans nos full.

Attached picture 004 (490x276).jpg
Attached picture 005 (525x295).jpg
Posted By: gmstuff Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Mon Oct 07 2013 10:05 PM
Here are a few more of my favorites... The Rodgers is a celluloid over tin easel back. The next few are from a friends collection. The door panel is a Berry Brothers Paint display.. It is about 12" tall and 10" wide,made of tin. It was in poor condition when it was found but the writing was still legible so it was restored to match what was there.. The other two are tin litho displays.. Enjoy, Keith

Attached picture painta1.jpg
Attached picture paint1.jpg
Attached picture paint2.jpg
Attached picture paint3.jpg
Those cans of paint are very cool john H.
Posted By: gmstuff Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Mon Oct 07 2013 10:12 PM
Here's one more... This is an early window decal from a parts store..Its about 36" across by 20" tall, very thin paper.. Keith

Attached picture painta2.jpg
Posted By: Oldgas Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Mon Oct 07 2013 11:06 PM
I'm loving all the great signs, displays and other auto paint memorabilia. A few more from me.

Description: Can-shaped Nason Auto Paint porcelain sign
Attached picture nason-cansign.jpg

Description: Glasurit auto paint neon
Attached picture glasurit-neon.jpg

Description: Pittsburgh Mimax porcelain flange
Attached picture pittsb-mimax-flg.jpg
Wow!! Everyone has some great displays, thermometers and signs. Good job...
Best Company of the month yet. Great stuff
Posted By: huskybob Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Tue Oct 08 2013 01:43 PM
Saw Jim's Nason sign and thought I'd ad this..... not exactly auto, but kind of related.

A great sign from the late 50's.

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: Oldgas Re: TBA COMPANY OF THE MONTH "AUTO ENAMEL COMPANIES" - Wed Oct 09 2013 06:18 PM
A few more auto paint collectibles. The Martin Senour paint cabinet is in new condition. I have several other paint cabinets from other brands that show serious patina from decades in body shops. wink

Description: Face of an "Acme Eye" Auto Paint color mixing gizmo
Attached picture acme-color-eye.jpg

Description: Chi-Namel globe
Attached picture chinamel-globe.jpg

Description: DuPont Duco neon sign
Attached picture duco-neon-on.jpg

Description: Martin Senour paint cabinet graphic
Attached picture martinsenourcab.jpg

Description: Lowe Brothers wheel spoke paint chart sign
Attached picture lowecarriage.jpg

Description: .
Attached picture 101113 004.jpg