Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: tbuckles Gas Pump Restoration Experiment - Wed Jan 15 2014 12:42 AM
I finally got around to an experiment that I have been wanting to try for some time now. Vinyl wrapping a gas pump. I got the idea from a couple of places, NASCAR...they don't paint the cars anymore, they wrap them. Also The Wayne 511 blend pumps used a vinyl wrap when they went from yellow doors to blue doors.

Now I must say that the use of the word "restoration" does not fit my definition for this project. Trust me..it looks better in the picture. I knew going in that any surface imperfection would show right thru, wow, do they ever. But my goal was to do the job a cheaply and as quickly as possible and then review the results.

Last Saturday morning about 11:00am I went to my pump yard and and hauled up this 505. I considered all the different models and thought the 505 would yield the best results because of the overall squareness. Besides, I have a boat load of 505's and have been looking for a good way to move them. Of course everything did not go as planned. The top and the 2 top ad panels had too many compound curves for me to master. After wasting some good vinyl I knew when I was beat...I spray bombed the top white and the ad panels red. All the other panels are wrapped. Since I needed this done by Sunday night I did not have time to take out all the surface imperfections, besides, if I was to do that then why not do a nice job and prime/fill and paint.

I did get it done mostly by Sunday evening and just had to apply the logos tonight because the shop just got them done. I have restored a pump in Platolene before and thought this Wayne 505 would look good in red front panels and white sides and top.

Anyway I will be taking this pump to It's a Gas and see if there is any interest in it. To sum it up I say it looks good at 10 feet but when you get a real good look at it is what it is..... And nobody will hurt my feelings if they think the vinyl makes it look cheap. Maybe cheap is not the best word right now, I spent some cash on vinyl only to peel it off, wad it up and try again. Maybe I will ponder this for a while and tweek a little here and there. Not all ideas are good ones, just because I can, does not make it a good idea.

Attached picture 2014_0114PumpParts0001.JPG
Posted By: Yellow57 Re: Gas Pump Restoration Experiment - Wed Jan 15 2014 12:55 AM
Interesting idea ! Pics show a nice looking pump.
Posted By: racecop Re: Gas Pump Restoration Experiment - Wed Jan 15 2014 02:14 AM
Great idea! I'm suprised no one has done it before. Almost all of the dirt track drivers around here use wraps as well. I think with more practice you will master it. I would wrap a pump and put it outside.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Gas Pump Restoration Experiment - Wed Jan 15 2014 02:56 AM
Tom Buckles Movie Props Restoration TV Show;
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Gas Pump Restoration Experiment - Wed Jan 15 2014 04:01 AM
Looks good in the pictures.
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Gas Pump Restoration Experiment - Wed Jan 15 2014 10:21 AM
I like that, sharp looking!
Posted By: tbuckles Re: Gas Pump Restoration Experiment - Thu Jan 16 2014 01:02 AM
DB, Gotta LOL, your mind comes up with some of the strangest things...too funny.

Hey...if anybody else gets a wild hair and wants to try their version of the wrapped pump, please post it, I would like to see some ideas.
Tom.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Gas Pump Restoration Experiment - Thu Jan 16 2014 01:17 AM
laugh
This is How OG Used To Be, Banter between Friends & Members!
By the way, where is that T-Pelican that wears Turtle Neck Shirts @ IG?
Posted By: Dave Richey Re: Gas Pump Restoration Experiment - Thu Jan 16 2014 02:26 AM
You are so right, DB. I seemed to have joined at the tail end of that era and was too new to join in.
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Gas Pump Restoration Experiment - Thu Jan 16 2014 02:39 AM
The wrap isn't a bad idea but I can't even put on a decal without gettin a bunch of bubbles in it or a wrinkle I can't get out......But, for a straight pump that still has some paint on it you might have a new fad on your hands there Tom....GB
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Gas Pump Restoration Experiment - Thu Jan 16 2014 03:33 AM
Gary, apply your Decals to Magnetic sign material [especially IF your drinking, next day you can Straighten & Center it on item].

Can you Imagine buying a pump on ebay that looks this Nice & later after receiving it discover it's a Vinyl Wrap, Not Painted & Covering a RUST BUCKET?
NOT LOL
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Gas Pump Restoration Experiment - Thu Jan 16 2014 03:54 AM
Dick, I probably couldn't even get a decal on the magnet without wrinkles! Actually I do better with decals AFTER beer....Yeah, the wrap deal could hide a lot of nasty stuff if somebody wanted to do that. But who in the world would ever want to do such a thing!?!.......and on eBay? Man, you are so pessimistic Dick....I just can't believe it.....
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Gas Pump Restoration Experiment - Thu Jan 16 2014 04:07 AM
Looks good from here. Only drawback I would wonder about is how fast the bright colors like the red would fade. Inside no problem, outside in the sun wonder what the life span would be.
I would think people wrapping cars and truck put so many miles on them that their wore out before hand. And Nascar well the warp is knocked off weekly.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Gas Pump Restoration Experiment - Thu Jan 16 2014 04:13 AM
From what I've seen out here, Billboards are done w/ Vinyl instead of Paper.

Gary,
Your supposed to Drink the Beer & dip Decals in Water, NOT the other way around!
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Gas Pump Restoration Experiment - Thu Jan 16 2014 07:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
laugh
This is How OG Used To Be, Banter between Friends & Members!
By the way, where is that T-Pelican that wears Turtle Neck Shirts @ IG?

That's "Hawaiian shirts"!!!
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Gas Pump Restoration Experiment - Thu Jan 16 2014 10:13 PM
Hawaiian shirts UNDER his T-Necks!
Posted By: r49th Re: Gas Pump Restoration Experiment - Thu Jan 16 2014 10:34 PM
Pump decals are vinyl and last for years outside. Fading really wouldn't be an issue.
Posted By: Vermonter Re: Gas Pump Restoration Experiment - Fri Jan 17 2014 12:08 AM
Tom, I applaud your ingenuity and thinking outside of the box. Must have taken a lot of patience which I don't have. I cant even gift wrap a square box and make it look good. It looks great in the pic!
John
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk