Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Maxgas Florida Pit Stop & More - Tue Jan 21 2014 12:35 PM
I have been playing with the new image re-sizing tool Jim added to the site and came across these photos of some cool old stations etc. I had on my phone for a while. I hope you enjoy as much as I did finding them. Jim increased the upload to 3 MB so most of them fit. Thanks Jim for the help and the photo storage upload size increase

Attached picture IMG_1364.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1363.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1035.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2546.JPG
Posted By: Maxgas Re: Florida Pit Stop & More - Tue Jan 21 2014 12:45 PM
The first Shot I got in the middle of no where Florida last year on my way to visit with Kris (SOUTHFLORIDAGAS). Cool Visible pump. Sorry for the lack of rotation of the photo I will leave that for lesson #2 with Jim. The rest of the photos are all from my home state of Maine. Cool old Texaco station in or near Windham I think. The T-8 pump use to be a local Farm fill up station from the early 1900's. The pump had the globe on it up to last year. Lastly is my favorite and near my house. Banks Mobil Station Complete right down to the eco to the far right wall in the photo. I had the privilege of putting the original sign back over the showcase window 2 summers ago.

Attached picture banks.jpg
Posted By: JUNK KING Re: Florida Pit Stop & More - Tue Jan 21 2014 02:05 PM
That Mobil station is killer Eric.
Posted By: SOUTHFLORIDAGAS Re: Florida Pit Stop & More - Tue Jan 21 2014 02:36 PM
You should see the name of the hotel around the corner from that place. Called Heartbreak Hotel: can't find the pic anywhere but it looked like a real nice honeymoon destination. Did you run over any chickens at that place? they are normally all over the road.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Florida Pit Stop & More - Tue Jan 21 2014 03:03 PM
Love the Mobil Station!! Like a time capsule!!
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Florida Pit Stop & More - Tue Jan 21 2014 04:15 PM
I also like that Mobil Station. If the car, van and exercise bike were not in front, you wouldn't be able to date the photo.
Posted By: Maxgas Re: Florida Pit Stop & More - Tue Jan 21 2014 04:23 PM
When the station owner asked me what I would charge to put up the Banks Sign. I told him I wouldn't charge anything, but I had one condition. That he let me fix the then hanging "I" in Mobilubrication. It always drove me nuts when I went there to see the sign halfcocked. He agreed and I took this photo after the job was done. The building next door (to the left not shown) is an original country store and the site of the original Mobil station and also Hudson dealership.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Florida Pit Stop & More - Tue Jan 21 2014 04:41 PM
I love the Mobil station...hard to believe there are any survivors like that this day and age. I bet he gets tired of the "visitors" asking if the signs are for sale!
All it needs is a shield hanging from that pole and it would be perfect.
Thanks for posting the photos...
Darin
Posted By: Gargoyle Re: Florida Pit Stop & More - Tue Jan 21 2014 05:18 PM
Wish I had been able to see this station when I visited with you last fall! I do recall that great used car lot near Arundel, though. laugh
Posted By: katfsh Re: Florida Pit Stop & More - Tue Jan 21 2014 06:11 PM
Thanks for the pictures, it's going to take pictures like these to keep the young'uns loving this junk.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Florida Pit Stop & More - Wed Jan 22 2014 02:25 AM
Awesome Mobil station...
Posted By: Maxgas Re: Florida Pit Stop & More - Thu Jan 23 2014 10:16 AM
Tom,

I'll take you there next time you make a visit.
Posted By: Maxgas Re: Florida Pit Stop & More - Thu Jan 23 2014 02:35 PM
The first photo is the story of the Florida Desert Pit Stop from the first 2 photos. Thought it was a really cool history. I hope it shows large enough to read on here.
The second photo is of another old station in or around Manheim, PA. if I remember right. Took it on my way home from Hershey 2 years ago.

Attached picture IMG_1365.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1931.JPG
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk