Oldgas.com Home
It has been noted,(often)... That my collecting falls somewhat on the eclectic "side of the street"...

I have little venues on the walls, that seem to have no real rime or reason... I attempt to explain this "strangeness" in collecting... But, honestly... I got nothing to explain how/why I pick something up...

Lately, it is mileage/expense booklets... I started out of course with Associated and Tydol... Then when I found that for a short period of time we had a Signal Oil Station in town... I added their booklets (I'm still missing one that I know of)... Now I have added booklets from other Company's...

Does anyone else collect these booklets?

Associated and Tydol:

Signal:

Other Brands:

The "wall"... (yes, I'm divorced...) LOL

Looks good, Bob. I'm sure, you'll get a few guys collecting them now.

I have lots of paper items; but, currently don't have the space to display them.
That all looks great Bob , I was actually reading the fine print on the flying a ad with the guy not smiling , pretty neat . For what signs cost you can get just as much enjoyment out of those displays for less ,IMO . Looks really neat.
Bob,

I really enjoyed looking at the booklets in your collection. You have a great eye for the unique stuff.... They are really terrific!

If I can add to your post here, I believe these types of materials have a collector value that goes far beyond just the advertising significance. They sometimes are quite personal and give a glimpse into the life of the person who once carried them in their vehicles. I had never really given booklets like yours much thought until a friend gave me one of my own as a xmas gift. It is perhaps my smallest item in my collection measuring less than 2" on each end, but it is perhaps near the top of the list of favorite things I have because of what is inside of it. The booklet was handed out at a "freedom" gas station in 1938 and this particular one was owned by "susan Muschnack" of 826 Beaver Rd in Ambridge Pa (just a short distance away from Freedom Pa.). As I leaf through the entries in the book where she identifies oil changes at low mileage points on her vehicle, up to the 40K mile marks, I wonder if she got this booklet at a stop at a Freedom gas station in 1938 just a short time after buying a new car? She was very diligent and even noted when she got new tires and her MPG's as well! I wonder if she waited for an attendant to fill her tank and doodled on the pages until he was finished, or if her boyfriend she mentions as being "nick" and a "bad boy" took her for a drive and she doodled along the way?? She seemed rebellious in her noting that "it aint nobody's business what I do". Maybe her parents or friends didn't approve of "bad boy nick"?? I wonder if she dwelled on his leaving perhaps for the service or something when she wrote: "it aint nobody's business what I do....bring me a shell from the sea and bring my sweetheart back to me"???? Anyway, yea it is just a booklet, but like yours Bob, they are so much more and I think I will keep my eye out for more as my collection grows. Anyway, sorry to ramble, but Bob is right, the booklets are so darn cool. Posting a few pics of the only one I have. Didn't mean to ramble, but I hope to someday own as many as you have Bob

Kevin

Attached picture 100_6299.jpg
Attached picture 100_6300.jpg
Attached picture 100_6303.jpg
Attached picture 100_6304.jpg
couple more

Attached picture 100_6305.jpg
Attached picture 100_6308.jpg
Attached picture 100_6301.jpg
Kevin, you have a great looking booklet! And even a "better Story" that goes with it!

Now, I will have to look for a Freedom Booklet... LOL
I hope you get it bob! Btw.....can anyone tell me what "illuminating oils" are and has anyone ever seen "freedom soap" as identified on my booklet?
Kevin, Kerosene and white Gas are considered "Illuminating Oils"...

As for soap? Not sure that is a byproduct of crude oil refining?... But, who knows what they used "back in the day"?... LOL
Wow, learn something everyday. Thank you.

These are all used & from the same person & numbered #1 through #6. For some reason I gave #5 away.

Dave
Bob Richards = Class Act. Thanks for the booklet Bob.
one of my favorites ... cool

Attached picture IMG_1029[1].JPG
Randy, that is a great booklet! And another, I have not seen before...

Thanks to Dave Rowlison, I have these booklets added to "the wall":

Thanks again, Dave!!!
Posted By: Mahyday Re: Does anyone else collect Mileage/Expense Booklets? - Tue Sep 12 2017 11:54 PM
Cool stuff. I don't seek them out, but I've acquired a few buying collections of maps though.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk