Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 New Pump Restore Progress - Mon Apr 21 2014 02:37 AM
So i havent posted to much lately. Been overwhelmed at work and home and havent had the time. I bought this pump a month ago and finally got a few days to do some real work. The gentleman i bought it off of got ripped off bad by his paint guy. He claimed to have body worked the pump and spray it with automotive paint. A few slathers of bondo and rattle can is all it got. So that made more work for me. I felt bad for the guy as he paid hard earned cash to the guy just to get a horrible paint job and body work
Photos in the following post:
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Mon Apr 21 2014 02:38 AM

Here is the pump before:

Wish i took more photos of it before but i got to stripping it and found more junk...

Here she is today... 4 days of work and sanding and finally got it in primer. And who would have guessed it is going to be a Mobilgas Special pump!!!

Some Detail Work on the Browser label i hand painted:

Top was the worst and had all types of Bondo and flaking paint. I was able to get it smooth after chipping and grinding it down a bit:

So this is what i have been up to and hope to get some color on it this week is the wife allows!
Dan
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Mon Apr 21 2014 06:04 AM
That will make a great pump Dan , can't wait to see the end result .
Posted By: Canadiandiesel Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Mon Apr 21 2014 10:57 AM
Man that's nice and straight
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Mon Apr 21 2014 11:06 AM
Looking good Dan.....
Posted By: tomzcollectiblez Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Mon Apr 21 2014 11:10 AM
Looks great! Keep us posted after paint....
Posted By: pickurt Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Mon Apr 21 2014 01:04 PM
Thanks for sharing. I'm sure it's going to look sharp once it's painted.

Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Tue Apr 22 2014 02:35 AM
looks great so far Dan!
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Wed Apr 23 2014 12:17 AM
Getting somewhere today!

And that is where i stopped for the day. Good day of painting and small assembly. Waiting on some ad glass now..
Enjoy.
Dan
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Wed Apr 23 2014 12:36 AM
Dan--Coming along nicely! Next thing you'll like doing it so much that you'll get into custom pump restoration! LOL
Posted By: Martin from OZ Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Wed Apr 23 2014 02:08 AM
looks good & well done...
I'm not familiar with this model but is the red section on the side where the reset handle, is that the access panel to open the doors?
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Wed Apr 23 2014 03:51 AM
Originally Posted By: Martin from OZ
looks good & well done...
I'm not familiar with this model but is the red section on the side where the reset handle, is that the access panel to open the doors?

You nailed it. Open that and the handle comes with it then you can get to the latches at the top of the pump. It is a Bowser 565A.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Wed Apr 23 2014 03:53 PM
Looks good, Dan. If, I remember correctly from your oil bottle rack restoration post. You use aerosol paint cans?
Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Wed Apr 23 2014 04:00 PM
Heya Dan,
I can't PM back so email me but I found those rods on mine and finally opened it up the other day.
Nice work! It's looking great!
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Wed Apr 23 2014 05:54 PM
Turned out great Dan !
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Wed Apr 23 2014 06:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
Looks good, Dan. If, I remember correctly from your oil bottle rack restoration post. You use aerosol paint cans?

Yes and no. I do use spray paint on some things but this pump is all PPG auto paint. On big stuff I spray it because it is more durable and looks better. I have used some rattle cans with the hardener you pop before use. They work good if you buy the right on. I have touched up many cars with those types of rattle cans. My pumps will always be spray with a gun.

Dan
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Wed Apr 23 2014 06:49 PM
Well, that makes sense. I was impressed with how you got the paint to flow with no dry areas as spray cans are prone to.
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Wed Apr 23 2014 07:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
Well, that makes sense. I was impressed with how you got the paint to flow with no dry areas as spray cans are prone to.

And the pump has no clear on it. All Urethane paint so no need for a clear. I like this one stage paint. Less work and good results.
Posted By: big blazer Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Wed Apr 23 2014 10:31 PM
Can you post a picture of how the reset handle looks attached to the access panel on the inside and how it connects to the reset rod. Thanks
Posted By: pickurt Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Thu Apr 24 2014 12:59 PM
I like it!

Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Thu Apr 24 2014 06:34 PM
Originally Posted By: big blazer
Can you post a picture of how the reset handle looks attached to the access panel on the inside and how it connects to the reset rod. Thanks

I had to make this panel as it was missing.
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Fri May 02 2014 10:32 PM
Ok she is done. Got the glass today for the shop and got it cut an installed.
Here is the finished product. Now looking for an M&S 80 to do.

Posted By: advertologist Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Fri May 02 2014 10:36 PM
Dan,
finished product looks awesome- good work.. cool
Posted By: Smith Oil Junkie Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Sat May 03 2014 02:02 AM
excellent job! cant wait ti start mine
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Sat May 03 2014 02:09 AM
Dan--You do good work my friend!
You really changed the appearance of that pump for the better.
Wonder why you chose Mobil? LOL
Posted By: cancollector Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Sat May 03 2014 11:29 PM
Wow that looks awesome! Great job on that pump!
Posted By: JimT Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Sun May 04 2014 01:17 AM
Nice looking job Dan.
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Sun May 04 2014 03:01 AM
Finished product does look great Dan . Now you need to do a Sinclair one for us next.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Sun May 04 2014 03:35 AM
Looks real good man!
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: New Pump Restore Progress - Tue May 06 2014 04:07 PM
Looks awesome!!!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk