Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Sinclair 12" Is Back!! - Tue Jul 01 2014 09:47 PM
So i know a lot of collectors dont like signs that have been restored but some can use some help IMO. I bought this sign from Rodger Cherry in Missouri at the beginning of the year and sent it to Don VanKannel for some paint work. I just got it back today from him and i am impressed with the quality. Yes i know it is still just a painted sign but for what i have invested into it i can live with an original with some paint on it. It didnt buy this sign hoping to flip it for more, just wanted something that could be displayable until the day i find a nicer one that is not painted up. So here it is. Criticize, curse, complain or whatever i am happy with the results and it sure look better that the chipped up, unreadable sign before.
Thanks
Dan

Before:

After:
Posted By: s932 Re: Sinclair 12" Is Back!! - Tue Jul 01 2014 09:53 PM
It looks good to me
Posted By: mrcavalcade Re: Sinclair 12" Is Back!! - Tue Jul 01 2014 09:55 PM
I think it looks teriffic
Posted By: advertologist Re: Sinclair 12" Is Back!! - Tue Jul 01 2014 10:03 PM
did a fantastic job- displays nice.. cool
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Sinclair 12" Is Back!! - Tue Jul 01 2014 10:03 PM
No critical opinion coming from me Dan-I'd do the same. Looks terrific.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Sinclair 12" Is Back!! - Tue Jul 01 2014 10:34 PM
Wow that is amazing!!
So I have to ask. When they do this type of restoration, is, for example, the entire red repainted or only the repaired spot and then blended out into the porcelain?
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: Sinclair 12" Is Back!! - Tue Jul 01 2014 10:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve C.
Wow that is amazing!!
So I have to ask. When they do this type of restoration, is, for example, the entire red repainted or only the repaired spot and then blended out into the porcelain?

Looks to be just spot repair. But Don't did clear coat the sign to make it shiney.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Sinclair 12" Is Back!! - Wed Jul 02 2014 03:29 AM
Looks very good!
Posted By: henlovestoys Re: Sinclair 12" Is Back!! - Wed Jul 02 2014 01:57 PM
Dan,

You wrote: "Criticize, curse, complain or whatever".

It looks awesome!

Glad you are enjoying it!

Hen
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Sinclair 12" Is Back!! - Wed Jul 02 2014 02:27 PM
Great improvement to it . Looks super I think Dan.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Sinclair 12" Is Back!! - Wed Jul 02 2014 03:43 PM
Just curious, How much did you have to pay for the restoration?
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: Sinclair 12" Is Back!! - Wed Jul 02 2014 05:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
Just curious, How much did you have to pay for the restoration?

Check your pm. Don't want to post as all are quoted by him based on size, condition and difficultly.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Sinclair 12" Is Back!! - Wed Jul 02 2014 08:52 PM
Got it, Thank-you. I appreciate it.
Posted By: roger cherry Re: Sinclair 12" Is Back!! - Fri Jul 04 2014 12:26 PM
Dan, I only have one complaint........ You spelled my name wrong!!!!!! Lol. Get it right WITHOUT the "d" in Roger or I won't sell you anymore rough signs!!! It looks super BTW!!!
Posted By: hotcidr Re: Sinclair 12" Is Back!! - Fri Jul 04 2014 02:36 PM
He did the same sign for me this past year and it came out so well. What he has finally figured out is that we don't need such a high "shine" and to try to get the sign to look like original porcelain. Yes they are "repainted" signs but there so many of the harder to find signs that are showing up that we can afford to buy are really rough
Great job and enjoy the sign. I tried to add a picture of mine here but don't see a way to do that
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: Sinclair 12" Is Back!! - Fri Jul 04 2014 02:52 PM
Originally Posted By: roger cherry
Dan, I only have one complaint........ You spelled my name wrong!!!!!! Lol. Get it right WITHOUT the "d" in Roger or I won't sell you anymore rough signs!!! It looks super BTW!!!

LOL. Sorry Roger just had my little fingers typing fast!! Glad you like the outcome and thanks for selling it to me. Now find me the standing Dino one!!
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: Sinclair 12" Is Back!! - Fri Jul 04 2014 02:55 PM
Originally Posted By: hotcidr
He did the same sign for me this past year and it came out so well. What he has finally figured out is that we don't need such a high "shine" and to try to get the sign to look like original porcelain. Yes they are "repainted" signs but there so many of the harder to find signs that are showing up that we can afford to buy are really rough
Great job and enjoy the sign. I tried to add a picture of mine here but don't see a way to do that

Ray I use photobucket. Makes posting photos easier IMO.
Posted By: johninlongview Re: Sinclair 12" Is Back!! - Fri Jul 04 2014 03:23 PM
The sign looks great!
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: Sinclair 12" Is Back!! - Wed Jul 09 2014 03:40 AM
While we are at it might as well show the other before and afters.

After Before Original Grommets installed:
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk