Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: wocopep Frame and matting - Sun Aug 24 2014 01:25 AM
Got an old poster from an old gasser and decided to frame it, to clean up the edges. So I took it to a frame shop for some advice and pricing. Now I already had a period frame to put it in. All I wanted was matting and mounting. After a lengthy explanation as to what was wrong with my frame, my poster, and everything I wanted to do, He proceeded to send me to the ER with the price. On the ride in the ambulance to the ER, ( just kidding ) I had an idea. Now ,as with all ideas, it starts simply enough and grows from there. I dont know who he thought he was but I own heavy equipment. I am a licensed plumber and electrician. I am a licensed home builder and house mover. I restore gas pumps and have talked with Dick Bennett. I'll just do it my self and put my money in my pocket. Yeah, I'll show him. Next stop Hobby Lobby. Picked up the needed materials and got some advice from a total stranger who seemed to know more about this than the last guy. I get home and go to work. Even the best laid plans have set backs. Thus back to Hobby Lobby and pick up more of the same materials that were defective the first time. By the way, Did you all know you can get really good condition signs and oil cans there? Talk to a new *****, er person and then back home. Second try called for a six pack and a shot, which turned into a twelve pack and three shots. Well after two phone calls to scrap booking friends of my wife, a trip to the hardware store, and a pile of scrap paper, I finished. Not exactly what popped in my mind when this thought first presented itself and I had my first coronary, but not too bad either. By the way, Those guys at the frame strore dont make enough money to do this everyday. Give me clogged sewer any day.

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: advertologist Re: Frame and matting - Sun Aug 24 2014 01:41 AM
... cool

Attached picture gysn.jpg
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Frame and matting - Sun Aug 24 2014 01:55 AM
wocopep, Just hope guy from Frame Shop calls you when he stops up the Tote, then you can show him what it feels like w/ estimate, after hours, Weekend Rates & MAYBE a Holiday Rate!

Did BEER & a FEW SHOTS make the job ENJOYABLE?
Posted By: wocopep Re: Frame and matting - Sun Aug 24 2014 02:17 AM
Actually Dick, while the beers helped ease me into artsy mode, they were the reason for the trip to the hardware store. Miller and Jack knocked over the glass and had to get a new one cut. And he will pay holiday rate in the middle of the week.
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Frame and matting - Sun Aug 24 2014 02:23 AM
"I restore gas pumps and have talked with Dick Bennett"!
Now I understand the restore gas pumps part but how does talking with DB amount to anything constructive/productive? Is it like surviving a cage match with DB makes you a better framer?
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Frame and matting - Sun Aug 24 2014 02:36 AM
BEER & SHOTS, Fred!

LOL, Heavy Duty Equipment Plumber!

Why buy NEW signs at Hobby Lobby when you can buy on ebay from worthless sellers that found signs in G'pa's Barn/Garage?
Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave Re: Frame and matting - Sun Aug 24 2014 06:33 AM
That looks GREAT and I'm genuinely happy it's in the right hands and in the same condition that it was when it left here!
With how fragile and brittle it is, I was concerned.

So, where is the picture of the whole kit together with this behind them???
I'm still amazed that you found all the pieces to the kit!
Posted By: katfsh Re: Frame and matting - Sun Aug 24 2014 04:43 PM
Dave is that beer stains in the center?
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Frame and matting - Sun Aug 24 2014 05:39 PM
LOL--this was great! Really made me laugh!
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Frame and matting - Sun Aug 24 2014 07:24 PM
Lol, funny story that hit home with me. When I found that Gulf flag a while back I thought heck, it won't cost too much to make a box for it and frame it in for display.....after buying acid free backer board, linen covering, some oak for the frame, oak trim, and then a piece of plexiglas (beer proof) for the cover I had close to $150 in the thing! Good thing my time isn't worth anything. Oh well, it looks good on the wall and it fit right in with the rest of the collection that fit the category of "it doesn't matter what it cost as long as you enjoy it".....
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Frame and matting - Mon Aug 25 2014 02:33 AM
Looks nice!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk