Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Oak Motor Oil - Mon May 18 2015 02:48 PM
Oak Motor Oil This sign is in a local antique shop and its now on Ebay ..I have never seen one like this. It looks pretty old and shelving etc looks right but, What do you all think? Thanks,Brian

Attached picture nhcf.jpg
Posted By: grabber Re: Oak Motor Oil - Mon May 18 2015 03:13 PM
Looks good to me...we have one like it we picked up from Wes & Mark Maxwell years ago...the black was not applied (slogan in lower white area is missing)...same as ours here. Should be DSP and I'd guess a second as it was never finished (no black).
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Oak Motor Oil - Mon May 18 2015 03:47 PM
What Joey said. Its an unfinished porcelain sign. Looks like the only color it is missing is black. And maybe brown, I would have to look up a picture of a finished one to be sure but I think the tree trunk was brown.

It is, what it is...
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Oak Motor Oil - Mon May 18 2015 03:54 PM
Heres one that I have.

Attached picture Peotone spring 2014 006.JPG
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Oak Motor Oil - Mon May 18 2015 04:35 PM
...more likely the black was a fired-on paint, and not porcelain, that degraded due to exposure...it happens to some 48" Sinclair H-C signs and Texaco signs (Sky Chief pump plates and the 'Clean, Clear, Golden' signs)...

...this comes up every time someone finds a sign without the black...I learned the truth 20+ years ago, when washing an H-C sign...a good deal of the black on one side (the side touching the damp ground) just washed right off the sign, to my dismay...and I was only using dish soap and water from the garden hose...
Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Re: Oak Motor Oil - Tue May 19 2015 12:58 AM
Thanks Gang !!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk