Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Steven C. Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Wed Aug 31 2016 07:15 AM
Oh man!!! While investigating what I thought was surely a fake sign being sold on ebay by Rustyrelics, I noticed that she had a sign for sale just like one I had bought recently. So I went and checked my ebay bought listings, and sure enough, I bought the sign from this person!!!! How does Charley Brown say that? AAAAUUUHHHGGG!!!!
Damn I wasn't paying attention!!
Did I pay $700 for a fake sign???
I did, didn't I!!
Great!! Now I get the fun of trying to get my money back.

Attached picture s-l1600.jpg
Attached picture s-l1600fffffffffffff.jpg
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Wed Aug 31 2016 07:37 AM
I found this one for comparison.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=633869

I noticed there is a hole inside the border in the upper outside corner.
There was one other image via Google that also had this hole.
Mine does not have this hole!!
AAAUUUHHHGGG!!
Posted By: JimT Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Wed Aug 31 2016 08:37 AM
Steve-if you bought it from UntRustyRelics You can bet its phony. That "person" is ruining the porcelain sign market. If its that hard to tell right now,,, well you know the rest. Sorry bud.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Wed Aug 31 2016 09:30 AM
familiarize yourself with this stuff listed so you are not the next victim, this sellers completed listings: .. ... cool

http://www.ebay.com/sch/rustyrelicsart/m.html?LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684
Posted By: intagas Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Wed Aug 31 2016 10:02 AM
Does this guy make these signs and beat'em up or buy'em and then beat'em up?
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Wed Aug 31 2016 10:11 AM
Originally Posted By intagas
Does this guy make these signs and beat'em up or buy'em and then beat'em up?

This particular one, which is what started me researching, looks like one I've seen sell out of India before. But not really sure.
Also there's an older Oldgas thread that pegs this person as a woman.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNOCO-ANTY-NOK-...-/302056998397?
Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Wed Aug 31 2016 11:16 AM
Steve,Hope you get your money back. These people also have 100% positive feedback.
Posted By: justgassy Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Wed Aug 31 2016 11:41 AM
That sign sure looks real. This type of thing makes me consider getting out of the hobby.

There making a fortune & that's there only concern!

Cliff
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Wed Aug 31 2016 01:09 PM
Note meant to say the Red border around the letters inside the top diamond is quite a bit heavier on the hern's sign ? Would have fooled me if I did not have a real one side by side to compare it to.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Wed Aug 31 2016 02:55 PM
Well I sure would love it to be real. But now she has another one listed. It has to be fake.

Good news though. I wrote asking for refund and I mentioned that now they have another one listed. I got this reply. So I guess it's going back.

"I bought a few from a large collection and believe them to be original. But if you not happy with the item you can return for a full refund. Thank you".

Any chance anyone has a sign book with this sign in it??
If so, email me a picture from the book if you could.
scoppens@comcast.net
Posted By: minuteman Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Wed Aug 31 2016 03:49 PM
I thought one was sold in one of the kyle auctions on morphys.
colors don't look right to me.
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Wed Aug 31 2016 05:42 PM
Steve if your a facebook member please take a look at this list as Glenn Miller posted all the e-bay sellers who sell fake signs.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/picksoftheweek/permalink/1744408952487871/

Another Sunoco Flange up on E-bay LMAO
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Wed Aug 31 2016 07:32 PM
Sent you pics of the real deal out of a sign book issued 2005 in a private email.hope it helps pin point the difference a little better so that all may learn from this.
Posted By: Done4 Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Wed Aug 31 2016 08:51 PM
Man, this is crazy, I would have been pretty sure that was a real deal. It's really taking the fun out and putting fear in. Basically, sucks big time.
Posted By: eric grinder Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Wed Aug 31 2016 09:12 PM
Steve, unfortunately this seller has been popping these flanges out for a number of months now. This sign has been on my want list for years and I have watched many of these go off. You without a doubt have a fake sign there. get your money back and leave appropriate feedback if you can! Only way to attempt to stop that scumbag.
Posted By: JimT Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Wed Aug 31 2016 10:45 PM
Steve, Ill email you pictures of mine. Anyone that wants to see what differences from real deal
+ I can find can PM me I guess as I dont want to have this lying POS improve his chances of screwing somebody else with his next batch by posting the pictures here.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Wed Aug 31 2016 10:53 PM
Originally Posted By JimT
Steve, Ill email you pictures of mine. Anyone that wants to see what differences from real deal
+ I can find can PM me I guess as I dont want to have this lying POS improve his chances of screwing somebody else with his next batch by posting the pictures here.

Exactly Jim! What a shame we cant even enjoy our hobby on our own site!! But better safe than sorry!!
Look forward to the pics!!!
Posted By: Done4 Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Wed Aug 31 2016 11:00 PM
Jim, your over your PM limit and I sure would like to see the real deal, thanks Les.
Posted By: henlovestoys Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Wed Aug 31 2016 11:34 PM
I do not believe anyone can create an exact copy of a sign from a "low resolution" JPEG image.

Then, the biggest issue dealing with porcelain signs, IMO:

1- Color matching
2- Shelving

My 2-cents worth!
Posted By: redindianguy Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Thu Sep 01 2016 10:19 AM
I agree with Hen . They cannot match the depth of the old porcelain . I imagine the ovens they use put a lower quality porcelain on for what ever reason .
Posted By: JimT Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Fri Sep 02 2016 01:10 AM
Do you not see the shelving on the sign Steve posted?
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Fri Sep 02 2016 02:15 AM
Yah, this sign actually has very nice shelving. Almost to good maybe.

Filed a refund with ebay and the seller if fine with it. No problem at all. So I'm sending it back. If I could afford it, I would just destroy it. But I can't throw away $700! So it will unfortunately be back in circulation.

But I know what to look for now on these signs.

Attached picture IMG_20160901_230722590.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20160901_230735022 (2).jpg
Posted By: SODAMAMAK Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Fri Sep 02 2016 12:58 PM
Randy, are you saying that all these listings bu this person are fake, even the dated ones.
Joe
Posted By: jecos Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Fri Sep 02 2016 06:33 PM
A few months ago I attended a local auction that had several signs listed. One of the signs was a Fisk Tires porcelain flange sign. In trying to place a value on it, the only info I could find was for three that had sold by rustyrelicsart on ebay, all within about a month or 2 of each other. One of them was the one in the auction (I could tell by the chip pattern on both sides). I stayed away from it because of the source but unfortunately (for the guy who ended up with it), it sold quite a bit higher than the ebay buyer paid.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Fri Sep 02 2016 07:15 PM
For anyone who wants to send her flowers, here is her return address that I am to ship the sign to.

Attached picture Screen Shot 09-01-16 at 03.59 AM.JPG
Posted By: Done4 Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Fri Sep 02 2016 07:26 PM
Have Vito deliver them.
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Fri Sep 02 2016 07:54 PM
Originally Posted By Steve C.
For anyone who wants to send her flowers, here is her return address that I am to ship the sign to.

Strange that their auctions say Plymouth, Indiana???
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Sat Sep 03 2016 02:25 PM
Wow!! Now this is very interesting! I found this in an actual Sunoco sales book I have from 1922. It stated the actual size that these signs were issued in. And it doesn't match this Rustyrelics sign I assure you!!!
Also pinpoints the date to at least 1922 anyway. Which is cool to know.

One other interesting note, although the text states the sign is "3 colors", it shows the flange as white. Probably just a printing thing for the book. I dont think the flanges where white. But....??

I blocked it out as not to give away the secret.
If you want to know the size, and your a regular member on here, PM me and I'll tell you what the book said.

Attached picture 1922e (2).JPG
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Mon Sep 05 2016 06:18 AM
Very cool of you to post their address Steve. I noticed on ebay that rustyrelicsart is located in Plymouth, Indiana.

Did you buy the sign from Rustyrelics or Rustyrelicsart? Did the sign ship from Plymouth or Wisconsin?

Just wondering if their operation is bigger than we realize, involving several people/scam artists in more than one location, or does rustyrelicsart just list there location as Plymouth, IN to avoid conflict.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Mon Sep 05 2016 11:38 AM
Interesting observation Steve. And now having checked, I see I actually purchased it from RustyrelicsART, out of Plymouth In. But checking the USPS tracking, it shipped out of Clinton Wi.
Hmmmmm??? The plot thickens!
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Mon Sep 05 2016 03:09 PM
Originally Posted By Mike M.
Originally Posted By Steve C.

Strange that their auctions say Plymouth, Indiana???

So was my notice of this invisible....LOL
Posted By: Jamie P Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Mon Sep 05 2016 06:27 PM
HIS NAME IS BRAD HUGHES

He buys them straight from India.
Posted By: Done4 Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Mon Sep 05 2016 09:05 PM
I have a friend who lives in Plymouth, he's a picker so he may know him. The next time I see him I'll ask.
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Mon Sep 05 2016 09:13 PM
He reminds me of "WHERE'S WALDO"
Posted By: Majestic12 Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Tue Sep 06 2016 04:04 PM
I just found a Brad Hughes in Janesville Wis. Who seems to collect signs. Maybe this is the guy:

https://www.facebook.com/brad.hughes.507679
Posted By: Majestic12 Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Tue Sep 06 2016 04:07 PM
I'm glad I checked this site. I was about to buy a sign from this guy. But I noticed his signs seem to have wear in all the same places.
Posted By: Tankar Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Tue Sep 06 2016 04:27 PM
Same wear. Must be happening on the boat ride over. Lol
Posted By: Jamie P Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Tue Sep 06 2016 05:28 PM
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Mon Sep 19 2016 07:48 AM
Got a full refund!! No argument at all from seller. Whew!!! That was close!!
Posted By: JimT Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Mon Sep 19 2016 08:58 AM
Figures. They dont want you to rock the boat. I would think you cant leave negative feedback if your money is refunded-can you?
On another note, I would bet they peruse this site looking for new sign prospects.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Mon Sep 19 2016 09:11 AM
Just left negative feedback Jim. Stating that seller regularly seems fake signs. Hopefully they don't now slam me to hard!!
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Mon Sep 19 2016 08:57 PM
I left this feedback this morning:
The seller regularly sells counterfeit signs as authentic. This sign was same.

I got this message today:
My listing didn't state once it was original. You left false feedback for the item. You got a full refund and I paid shipping both ways. Have a nice day!!!!

I just sent this:[i][/i]
In church on Sundays we say a little confession that goes something like this. Forgive me for what I have done, and for what I have left undone. Your listings in a way fall to the latter part of that. When you sell a fake sign that you know is fake, and you don't state it in the listing, it is stealing. This isn't difficult.
Also, remember Dr. Laura Schlessinger? Just because you have the right to do something, doesn't make it right to do.
Here is the deal. I know never to buy from you or from what seems to be your partner, Rustyrelics. But in this case my wife had just died and I wasn't on top of my game at the time. And got caught up in the sign as it is one I have always wanted. I believe, as do MANY MANY others in this hobby, that the two of you somehow work together. Why did I purchase the sign out of Indiana and yet had to ship it back to Wisconsin? You both know exactly what your doing. You are perverting the hobby and history with tons of fake signs and you know it! Just because the people are to naive to know better doesn't make what you do, right. Why don't you put in your listings that you don't know if the signs are real or not?? Also, I find it very particular that neither of you have a single sign listed right now when typically you have tons of them. All I did was tell the truth. If what I said wasn't true, I think you would have been a little more upset with me than what you expressed. Unfortunately for history and the hobby, I'm sure you'll still do just fine. Now you have a nice day, okay.

We'll see what happens grin
Posted By: Jamie P Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Mon Sep 19 2016 09:09 PM
I am absolutely shocked that he only has the 1 negative feedback...from you, out of all the signs he has sold. These signs are now popping up on Craigslist for sale as original.
Posted By: JimT Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Tue Sep 20 2016 01:21 AM
Kudos to you Steve!!
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Tue Sep 20 2016 01:28 AM
Could not have said it any better !Good follow thru.
Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Tue Sep 20 2016 02:04 AM
Thank you. Well said.
Posted By: AZ_66_Native Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Tue Sep 20 2016 03:25 AM
Great job Steve, thank you for taking the time to post your response.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Tue Sep 20 2016 10:40 AM
This is the very reason I refuse to buy & collect signs today. frown
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Tue Sep 20 2016 10:47 AM
Originally Posted By Jamie P
I am absolutely shocked that he only has the 1 negative feedback...from you, out of all the signs he has sold. These signs are now popping up on Craigslist for sale as original.

...wonder what would happen if a bunch of us started buying and returning his ***** signs, and leaving negative feedback every time?
Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Tue Sep 20 2016 11:28 AM
Originally Posted By gulfiend!
Originally Posted By Jamie P

...wonder what would happen if a bunch of us started buying and returning his ***** signs, and leaving negative feedback every time?
That would work !!! But, they would just startup with new ID.
Posted By: AntiqueAd Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Fri Sep 23 2016 12:46 PM
Probably not good. someone had a post here with all the ebay fake accounts/scammers/repopers

[url=http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=111340&Number=667122#Post667122]Ebay Fakes[/url]
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Did I screw up?? Fake sign?? Rustyrelics - Mon Sep 26 2016 07:03 AM
That didn't take long!!! 172354455489
LMAO! Rustykrinkles!!
Add that name to the list!

Attached picture Screen Shot 09-26-16 at 03.59 AM.JPG
Attached picture Screen Shot 09-26-16 at 03.59 AM (2).JPG
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk