Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: finsnfeathers info. wanted on globes with face holes - Sun Jan 01 2017 03:40 PM
[url=www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Narrow-Body-Gasoline-Gas-Pump-Globe-screw-Base-/192051653589?hash=item2cb72babd5:g:igQAAOSwOtdYTwLQ]globe on ebay [/url]

I see folks selling these on ebay as repro's. and originals too.
was told this type with the holes on the face area.. where the lenses would go..is an aftermarket. ( am tending to believe my source is correct )
What purpose are the holes for ?
Were there older ones that had these holes way back when too ? If so...how could you tell the diff. between an original and an aftermarket like this?
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: info. wanted on globes with face holes - Sun Jan 01 2017 03:59 PM
http://www.lastgas15.com/types-of-gas-pump-globes/
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: info. wanted on globes with face holes - Sun Jan 01 2017 08:31 PM
Nice job, Bob; of compiling all that information.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: info. wanted on globes with face holes - Sun Jan 01 2017 11:07 PM
Thanks Dave.
Posted By: finsnfeathers Re: info. wanted on globes with face holes - Mon Jan 02 2017 02:27 PM
very nice site...awesome !
still not clear on the 3 piece glass globes though , are there real and repros. like this and if so, how could I tell the difference?! Mine is 13.5 inch.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: info. wanted on globes with face holes - Mon Jan 02 2017 07:47 PM
Yes, there are original and repro glass bodies.
It can be very difficult to distinguish the repros from some of the originals.
Posted By: T-way Re: info. wanted on globes with face holes - Tue Jan 03 2017 01:06 PM
The repro's are made from the original molds - so the shape is exactly the same.

Look for obvious wear on the bottom of the base: dirt, paint spatter/drips, chips, etc.

Also, new reproductions are 'whiter' than most originals. Most originals are a bit on the 'blue' side - but you'd need to have one of each side-by-side to really see the difference.

Later . . .

Jim
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk