Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: gulfiend! FAKE Cast Iron Gulf Price Sign - Mon Mar 04 2019 03:06 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/antique-1900S-gulf-cast-iron-sign-gas-oil-other-/283403363911

...this jacked-up POS fake is being passed off as 'antique', but the seller also says he doesn't know the age...I explained that the sign was cast from the front only (originals resemble a license plate, in that the front is embossed and the back is debossed); there's no way to hang his sign; and the detachable price numbers won't work on an inch thick piece of iron...

...last 'deal' I had with this seller was on an Atlantic 'fried-egg' pump sign...he quoted a price, I sent him payment - which he returned with a note, saying he couldn't sell it to me at the price he quoted, because he just saw one sell on eBay for more money...
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: FAKE Cast Iron Gulf Price Sign - Thu Mar 07 2019 01:17 AM
...well, someone with a 1400+ feedback rating got took 😕
Posted By: Waterboy Re: FAKE Cast Iron Gulf Price Sign - Sat Mar 09 2019 05:12 PM
I just purchased one , as you stated embossed front and debossed back, love this site, very knowledgeable members. Thanks

Attached picture 20190309_120422.jpg
Attached picture 20190309_120358.jpg
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: FAKE Cast Iron Gulf Price Sign - Mon Mar 11 2019 03:04 AM
...that's a great example of an authentic, vintage sign...as Randy would say, 'The Real McCoy'...
Posted By: Waterboy Re: FAKE Cast Iron Gulf Price Sign - Tue Mar 12 2019 09:43 PM
Thanks gulfiend, l assume your a gulf collector. My dad worked for many year at the local gulf distributor until they closed in the early to mid 70s. I rode with him delivering gas to several mom and pop country stores/gas stations. Those days are long gone, wish I had started collecting back then! Thanks again
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: FAKE Cast Iron Gulf Price Sign - Wed Mar 13 2019 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by Waterboy
Thanks gulfiend, l assume your a gulf collector.

...not just a collector - I'm a Gulf fiend laugh

Originally Posted by Waterboy
My dad worked for many year at the local gulf distributor until they closed in the early to mid 70s. I rode with him delivering gas to several mom and pop country stores/gas stations. Those days are long gone, wish I had started collecting back then! Thanks again

...you and me both! No problem at all - happy to help...
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk