Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Steven C. Strange Day In The Hobby When... - Sun Jan 26 2020 10:13 AM
...a basic Mobil plate brings more than this Pennzoil rack sign. Someone got a great deal on that Pennzoil!!!

Attached picture Screen Shot 01-26-20 at 05.11 AM.JPG
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Strange Day In The Hobby When... - Sun Jan 26 2020 02:02 PM
To be honest in this day and age I'm surprised that a common Mobil plate brought that much. The days of minty original common Mobil plates bringing $500 seems like distant history, especially when I see the fantasy plates routinely selling for more than originals. I know, it's a dead horse we're beating, but for those of us in the hobby for more than a decade it's perplexing to try and understand why people are paying what they are for fantasy signs currently. It's almost as if they're being embraced by some as being "collectible"? I digress.......
Darin
Posted By: BryceG Re: Strange Day In The Hobby When... - Thu Jan 30 2020 05:57 PM
those pennzoil rack signs have kinda tanked... not sure why, i think they are great! but I had a full rack with 2 mint signs and 2 that were solid 8.5 condition. i barely got 1k each for the mint ones, and like 700-800 each for the others.

those specific pennzoils are just not desired like they used to be!
Posted By: mattthegasman Re: Strange Day In The Hobby When... - Thu Jan 30 2020 11:42 PM
Those particular Pennzoil signs, the small and the large size for the original bottle rack have been reproduced like crazy , might be why the one in the auction did not bring strong money but I would want to see better pictures of it before I call it India junk.....🤷‍♂️
Posted By: BryceG Re: Strange Day In The Hobby When... - Fri Jan 31 2020 05:11 PM
Kraft is a reputable company... I have no doubts the sign was legit. But for anyone wondering, those original rack signs are marked on the backsides
Posted By: Done4 Re: Strange Day In The Hobby When... - Fri Jan 31 2020 05:43 PM
Thanks Bryce, I've always wanted one but with the reproduced versions have stayed away from them. Do you happen to have a pic of the makers mark that you could share?
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk