Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: BLange Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Thu Nov 30 2006 04:26 AM
No reserve! WOW

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gulf-Refining-Co-Tok...1QQcmdZViewItem

Brian
Posted By: powerlube Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Thu Nov 30 2006 01:43 PM
I want one!!!
Posted By: Don Beaver Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Thu Nov 30 2006 06:35 PM
Scott if you don't quit bidding on this pump I will report you to your wife and after the collection you bought well...... LOL Don
Posted By: powerlube Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Thu Nov 30 2006 06:50 PM
How cool would that pump be with a bearcat lense on one side and bearcat ethyl on the other?

Don- you would not tell her would ya? You know how big she is, she can hurt me
Posted By: powerlube Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Thu Nov 30 2006 09:45 PM
And its gone...
Posted By: powerlube Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Thu Nov 30 2006 10:19 PM
$10k to a local buyer of so he said...
Posted By: Morgan Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Thu Nov 30 2006 11:02 PM
I'm the local and bought it for 8k. He says bring a cashiers check tomorrow. fine by me.

He calls before I get home and he's had a 15k offer he says he's taking. Say I can't fault him for getting that much more but it killed my deal I had working (on the way home) to resto it for a collector. He should compensate me for my loss. He says thanks for stopping by....

What do ya do, what can ya do. ya know?
Posted By: Thunder II Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Thu Nov 30 2006 11:23 PM
That sucks Morgan.... As for me, I have a REAL hard time dealing with that level of integrity. A deal is a deal.
Posted By: buytex Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Fri Dec 01 2006 12:21 AM
what is this pump worth? a deal is a deal not an honest guy if you ask me might have told you 15k but only got 10 or 11 someone should email him an offer 19k see what he replies than someone else say 22k that should make him think rick
Posted By: Seth Robbins Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Fri Dec 01 2006 12:32 AM
That's bullcrap Morgan....at least he didn't tell you he decided to keep it or that it got stolen. I had a couple from Kansas call me the other day and I met them at night (on a school night) at my shop as they were passing through. They had a perfect White Eagle Globe. I looked at it and told them I'd give them $2000 for it. They said thanks and they guy almost did the deal but his wife said, "well, we need to think about it, but if we do sell it, it's yours". A week later I called them and they said it really wasn't theirs, it was an uncle's and he didn't want to sell it. HA! A few days later a guy calls my shop from the same area in Kansas and wants to know if he got a good deal on a perfect crow-version white eagle (same one, I guarantee) at $2200. A free appraisal and a wasted evening! If I would've known I was only appraising it for them, I'd have got my normal $50 Insurance Appraisal Fee.
Posted By: Morgan Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Fri Dec 01 2006 12:48 AM
To me, it's what is a mans word worth.

If situation were reversed, I'd have called and ASK out of the deal and offered to pay something. Even to split the additional.

Even if he only kept an extra grand for himself, that's still a G more than he got originally from me AND his word was kept.

Some people have no honor.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Fri Dec 01 2006 01:07 AM
I'm calling a Locksmith & replacing DOORS with SOLID STEEL DOORS ! Mine has all original parts, faces, hands, sheetmetal & 2-15" LP metal bodies. Even has the original GILMORE PRICERS.
db
Posted By: Morgan Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Fri Dec 01 2006 01:11 AM
Hey Dick, I'd go 8500 on yours! LOL
Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Fri Dec 01 2006 01:38 AM
Not trying to cause trouble but what about the ending of the auction early. It's gotten to where if you are interested in something on ebay you have to contact the seller to see if they will end the auction early or you might not get it. What if the guy who bought it from under you was waching the auction and planned on bidding on it and all of a sudden it's ended? It has happened to me and it makes me mad and I contact the seller and say "hey, is this an auction or isn't it. How much did they offer you? I'll give you_" Probably what happened and why not? Did you offer $16,000?
Posted By: Don Beaver Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Fri Dec 01 2006 01:39 AM
Well to top it off the sellers friend that listed the pump on ebay told me this evening that it was still for sale if I had a better offer to give Josh a call at 903-378-3091. I guess Josh is a real stand up sort of guy that keeps his word.... I think ebay should not let sellers stop the listing because of greed. Once you list the item it should stay the course. I probably would have gone over the 15k any way but greed got in his way. If the guy can not keep his word to a local guy I'm sure not going to send that much money 1500 miles to another state and then not have the pump be there when I drove all of that way Oh well a fool and his money.

[This message has been edited by gaspumpman (edited 11-30-2006).]
Posted By: Morgan Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Fri Dec 01 2006 02:37 AM
RTG, I only contacted and ask to see the pump since it was that close to me, 15 miles away. I ask if there had been any interest on ebay and he told me about an offer of 8k. I said I'd sure like to have it to go with my single 850. He said, write me a check for 8k and I'll end the auction.

My point being, I didn't ask him to end it and didn't offer to match the 8k offer. He offered it to me.

And if I offered 16k why would I think the deal would still be good tomorrow?

I'm not going to bash him for taking the money. That's a buncha cash. I just think he could have handled it better. But, it's his honor, his integrity and he put the price on it.
Posted By: souperhigh Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Fri Dec 01 2006 02:45 AM
I emailed her this afternoon and told the seller that their greed probably left money on the table and this is her reply:

Question from mkcfarms

Activity with mkcfarms (last 90 days):
- I have bid on 0 items from mkcfarms

mkcfarms( 170)
Positive feedback: 100%
Registered on: www.ebay.com

I am sorry about the early end, but the owner called me and asked me to end it because of a local buyer came thru with a good offer. If you would like you can call him. I am not sure what the offer was, but at least you can talk to him about it. His name is Josh and you can reach him at home at 903-378-3091 or 903-640-3043. Thanks for your interest in the pump. If you cannot reach him then email me back. Jennifer
Respond to this question

Responses in My Messages will not include your email address.

Thank you,
eBay

I wanted it and I am not really a pump guy, but found it really cool!
Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Fri Dec 01 2006 03:15 AM
I wasn't accusing you of any wrongdoing Morgan. Just wondering what others felt about this ebay loophole. I WILL contact a person to see if they will end an auction early only because I have missed so many things that have gone to others who do it. Until ebay closes this loophole you have to use it. I think once it's on ebay you shouldn't be able to remove it so easily. It should be considered a contract with ebay to sell your item and it shouldn't be so easy to get out of. Ebay misses out on millions of dollars. Not that they need it but I'm surprised they haven't tried to do something about it.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Fri Dec 01 2006 04:13 AM
ebay should tell sellers that an item WILL RUN for the STATED TIME & seller will be charged for ending amount, even if seller sells it somewhere else. Especially when there is not a reserve. IF item gets broke or stolen during the corse of auction, PROVE IT WITH PICTURES, or POLICE REPORT TO EBAY.
m2c
db
Posted By: dodogas Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Fri Dec 01 2006 08:25 AM
ebay got a lot of my money on items that did not sell. Works both ways, them bugging you to relist .. that being a no lose deal for them anyway..
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Fri Dec 01 2006 03:14 PM
...as far as I'm concerned both the seller and the buyer can go...well, they know where they can go...I e-mailed the seller and told them they gave ebay a bad name, and that goes for the buyer as well...let the auction run its course, in fairness to everyone...
Posted By: Pogo's Garage Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Fri Dec 01 2006 04:26 PM
Its back, and I'm glad to see it. Good Luck to those interested!
Posted By: al8apex Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Fri Dec 01 2006 06:35 PM
here it is now:

------------------
Jim Rohn
Scottsdale, AZ
Posted By: bruzer75 Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Fri Dec 01 2006 08:25 PM
I saw it was re-listed too. I wrote the seller and stated I did not think it was mass confusion that ended the first auction. It was pure greed. Just my opinion and good luck with their auction.

And that is all I have to say about that.
Mike
Posted By: Morgan Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Fri Dec 01 2006 09:46 PM
He called me today to ask if I was still intersted. Says he's going to relist it. I didn't return his calls.

Heard from several friends that he gave them various stories. Sounds like he is lying to cover lies when the simple truth will do.
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Sat Dec 02 2006 12:32 AM
I emailed the seller too after the auction closed, telling him/her that I thought she had made a mistake ending it early. I even suggested that they might have made a lot more $ than what ever they got for it. After reading these post, and hearing how everyone got stroked, I think all of you guys should boycott this auction. Especially you Lance, and you Morgan, and you Gaspumpman! tee hee......

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: Pogo's Garage Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Sat Dec 02 2006 12:39 AM
Don, Don, Don, your friendship means a lot to me, so if you think its the right thing to do, I'll stand by you. However...............if my other personality takes over, you know the one, the pump collector personality that would sell its mother to buy another pump, I can't be responsible for what happens in the last 5 seconds LOL!
Posted By: Morgan Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Sat Dec 02 2006 12:52 AM
I'll say this, whoever buys this pump, needs to get it away from him as soon as possible. He's just liable to sell it again!!! I'm 15 miles away and will be glad to help with storage or others arrangements for any Oldgassers.

Plus, it would be great to see the look on his face if I pulled up there again! LOL

Seriously, I wouldn't trust this guy too much and I'll gladly help any of you.
Posted By: Jim_Becker68 Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Tue Dec 05 2006 05:40 PM
I do some selling on e-Bay mostly model trains and some 60's Chevy parts. Rarely does anyone every send you a message to end an auction early on model trains. On the automobile stuff..............its A WHOLE different story....

I have learned the hard way never to trust someone that e-mails you and asks you to end the auction early. I did it a couple of times and got burned each time. Same tune from the "buyers"....."I'll give you $xxx if you end the auction early the cashiers check is in the mail".....darn slow mail I am still waiting on some of these guys years later....Hmmmmmmmmm guess I'm not going get that check......

Now when I get these type of unsolicited messages I very nicely say the auction will run its entire time and thank you very much. Rarely Rarely Rarely are the ones wanting you to end the auction early the high bidder.

Maybe these people got taken by someone saying they were going to give them some big big bucks and went "poof" into thin air. It happens more often than not on e-Bay these days.

The other explanation is they were trying to play multiple sides against each other to drive up the price after ending the auction.......and the ploy exploded in their face.....

------------------
Jim
Posted By: Signal Gas & Oil Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Wed Dec 06 2006 04:37 PM
Congrat Lance Hope you pick it up super fast. $8900 is a steal. Let us know the outcome. Ted

------------------
Ted Pam & Ethyl Roach
Lodi CA.
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
Posted By: Pogo's Garage Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Wed Dec 06 2006 04:46 PM
Well I'm happy to add it to my collection, I'm a little suprised I won it, but it was meant to be. Morgan, I sent you an email, hoping you can help me out untill I make the trip. I'll post some pictures as soon as I get it home!
Posted By: Signal Gas & Oil Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Wed Dec 06 2006 05:01 PM
WOW makes you wonder how much more the guy got selling it on ebay and paying two listing fees and a final fee? How much more did he make? At least Judas got some silver when he sold out. Hope you use paypal to pay him. There goes another 3%
Ted

------------------
Ted Pam & Ethyl Roach
Lodi CA.
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield

[This message has been edited by troach (edited 12-06-2006).]
Posted By: Morgan Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Wed Dec 06 2006 10:21 PM
Be glad to Lance. Tell him the local guy he sold it to will be picking it up.
Posted By: blacktee Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Wed Dec 06 2006 10:50 PM
Morgan:

Bring your CAMERA for his facial expression.

We all want to see it.
Posted By: Morgan Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Wed Dec 06 2006 11:27 PM
I'm sure this will be one of those "priceless" moments, definately a Kodak moment!!! LOL
Posted By: Pogo's Garage Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Thu Dec 07 2006 01:05 AM
I wish I could be there, but hearing about it will do The only problem with buying a twin is it opens up a whole new can of worms, you can't have just one of anything you know LOL!
Posted By: T-way Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Thu Dec 07 2006 11:36 AM
Lance:

Congrats! That's a great pump - and a fair price (IMO).

Later . . .

Jim

[This message has been edited by T-way (edited 12-07-2006).]
Posted By: al8apex Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Thu Dec 07 2006 06:06 PM
" do some selling on e-Bay mostly model trains and some 60's Chevy parts. Rarely does anyone every send you a message to end an auction early on model trains. On the automobile stuff..............its A WHOLE different story....
I have learned the hard way never to trust someone that e-mails you and asks you to end the auction early. I did it a couple of times and got burned each time. Same tune from the "buyers"....."I'll give you $xxx if you end the auction early the cashiers check is in the mail".....darn slow mail I am still waiting on some of these guys years later....Hmmmmmmmmm guess I'm not going get that check......"

I also sell a lot of car stuff, my own and on consignment

ONE thing I have learned from the inquireis about "how much to end it now?" is that those people NEVER bid on the item

------------------
Jim Rohn
Scottsdale, AZ
Posted By: Pogo's Garage Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Tue Dec 12 2006 04:58 AM
Well, I'm happy to say, the pump has been rescued, and is awaiting relocation to my garage. I'd like to tip my hat, and say a BIG "Thank You!" to Morgan. Without him, this deal would have never completed, I just hope I can return the favor some day.

Is anyone traveling from the Dallas area to the PNW in the next month or two???? Not that I mind the drive to Texas, maybe by way of Scottsdale
Posted By: bruzer75 Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Tue Dec 12 2006 08:15 AM
I am glad it worked out. This is the best site on the web!
Mike
Posted By: Morgan Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Tue Dec 12 2006 10:26 PM
I told Lance, I think he got this pump for less than $1.00 per pound!!! We put it on the trailer with a fork lift. Put the whole trailer in the barn when we got back. We need to find some football players and gorillas to help unload it. It's a monster. A back ache just waiting to happen.

Glad to help Lance. Helping each other is what this site is about. Thanks to Jim Potts for giving us a place to hang out!
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Tue Dec 12 2006 11:28 PM
When I helped to pickup the one I have [bought it from a friend], it was lifted by a forklift, then I backed my Chevy S-10 under it. Still had the guts in both units. We set it next to the cab & strapped it to the ladder rack. Had to seprate the 2 to get the guts out before manhandling it to the ground.

Approx. weight without the shipping crate is 1200#, not quite as heavy as a 36B Twin through.

Sure had a few wierd looks as we were driving the interstate home, the faces of the pump were about 2' ABOVE the cab.

I'm sure Dominic would help with delivery ! LOL
db

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 12-12-2006).]
Posted By: Pogo's Garage Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Wed Dec 13 2006 02:25 AM
I was looking thorugh Bob Lee's Tokheim book, he quotes the 850 twin at 1100lbs, and the 36b at 1272, WOW thats a lot of cast iron. Good thing we've got Morgan's son in law to help us load it, cause we have to lay it down. Good news is I got a deal Morgan, just over $0.80/lb.... LOL! I'd be happy to get a hold of Dom, its been too long.........
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Wed Dec 13 2006 02:51 AM
For PADDING ?
Posted By: Jim_Becker68 Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Wed Dec 13 2006 03:10 AM
Man that is one nice pump. The pictures on e-Bay didn't do it justice.

Nice purchase and glad everything turned out ok. Sometimes with e-Bay stuff you hold your breath.

------------------
Jim
Posted By: Pogo's Garage Re: Tokheim 850 double on Ebay - Wed Dec 13 2006 03:16 AM
We'd need his buddy Rob for the padding, not much to Dom LOL!

Thanks Jim!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk