Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: whiteflash Fantasy Mobil Clock - Thu Oct 30 2008 12:51 AM
Lot of $$$ for a fantasy clock. Beer / cash register clock.
http://cgi.ebay.com/MOBILGAS-Vintage-Dea...1QQcmdZViewItem
Posted By: Rick Brown Re: Fantasy Mobil Clock - Thu Oct 30 2008 10:25 AM
Whatever, it was about as neat as they come!
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Fantasy Mobil Clock - Thu Oct 30 2008 12:04 PM
NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT BEFORE. I WOULD DEF BE FOOLED NOT HAVING ANY KNOWLEDGE OF IT!

~DOC
Posted By: roadrelics Re: Fantasy Mobil Clock - Thu Oct 30 2008 12:51 PM
a total fantasy clock.....take a $75 clock body, $25 in vinyl & then you got a $450 clock ??......would'nt be so bad if the ebay seller had represented it that way, but no, the same old story, it came from my fathers collection....
Posted By: Rick Brown Re: Fantasy Mobil Clock - Thu Oct 30 2008 02:10 PM
Like I said, "Whatever, it was about as neat as they come!". Perhaps his dad made this, and this is how he found it???
Posted By: roadrelics Re: Fantasy Mobil Clock - Thu Oct 30 2008 02:20 PM
thats your opinion, i & others may feel differently......imho i have seen much neater clocks than this & this thing in my opionion does even count
Posted By: Rick Brown Re: Fantasy Mobil Clock - Thu Oct 30 2008 02:33 PM
What is an "imho" ???????? Sounds like a condition that needs treated.
Posted By: roadrelics Re: Fantasy Mobil Clock - Thu Oct 30 2008 02:38 PM
i guess you would know, you sure have a strong case of it............fiqure it out
Posted By: Rick Brown Re: Fantasy Mobil Clock - Thu Oct 30 2008 02:44 PM
WOW, in my honest opinion I was just joking with you. Take a chil pill..... Opinions are like (well you know what). You have one, and I have one. That's what makes the world spin.
Posted By: roadrelics Re: Fantasy Mobil Clock - Thu Oct 30 2008 02:48 PM
whatever , i was just joking too.....i'll go ahead & take a chill pill, i think you better have one also
Posted By: marxmobilgas Re: Fantasy Mobil Clock - Thu Oct 30 2008 03:30 PM
anybody got pics of an original clock-with non Mobil artwork?
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Fantasy Mobil Clock - Thu Oct 30 2008 05:15 PM
IMHO = IN MY HUMBLE OPINION!

~DOC
Posted By: whiteflash Re: Fantasy Mobil Clock - Thu Oct 30 2008 08:10 PM
Here is a photo of a simliar, un-restored original.

[This message has been edited by whiteflash (edited 10-30-2008).]
Posted By: marxmobilgas Re: Fantasy Mobil Clock - Fri Oct 31 2008 02:22 PM
By looking at the rather generic Mobil artwork with no dealer info listed, I would think someone did redo this one (as eveyone does with plain Pam clocks.)

But what gave it away as a redo??
Posted By: roadrelics Re: Fantasy Mobil Clock - Fri Oct 31 2008 02:45 PM
for me it was never seeing one in the past 20 years that i have been collecting neon & other types of advertsing clocks......I know i surely have not seen everything out there however you get a feel after awhile.......i would never say 100% this is fantasy,but once you get it in your hands you can tell.....it could be silk screened, but i would be willing to bet its vinyl & they would not be using this in the 40's,50's & 60's.........not only does the color look wrong in the blue, the border of the shield does not look right & the thickness of the lines are different ....the bottom line looks thinner than the rest of the lines.........Buyer Beware

[This message has been edited by roadrelics@aol.com (edited 10-31-2008).]
Posted By: tjccafferty Re: Fantasy Mobil Clock - Mon Nov 03 2008 01:18 PM
this early of a clock with the high end deco look it more than likely would of been a reverse painted logo that clock was 100% original with a simple vinyl sticker on it probably printed on his own computer i have had similar coca cola clocks and i believe that mobil could afford a little more than a sticker for their dealers he might as well printed a JUNK sticker and stuck it on the clock and then it would have been a JUNK DEALER advertisment for what it was when i saw it i got a good laugh, i have seen so many of these clocks out there all types all kinds
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk