Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 5 quart LOTS of changes coming at EBAY - Tue Jan 29 2008 04:03 PM
Read announcements - lots of changes started and coming- most for the good- takes a while to absorb them all- thanks don-

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans
Posted By: minuteman Re: LOTS of changes coming at EBAY - Tue Jan 29 2008 07:17 PM
well from what i read after the smoke and b.s. your overall rates for selling are going up again...ex.
with new changes if you sell an 1100.00 item you will be paying 2.50 more on final value fee's....but then they say free gallery and reduced listing fee's which sounds great but they add up to 1.15....so in the end they are raising your cost 1.35 but make it sound like their doing you a favor by saying we are listenening to you the sellers!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: gulfstuff Re: LOTS of changes coming at EBAY - Tue Jan 29 2008 07:34 PM
Another big increase that is burried in the fine print is the fact that the reserve fee will NOT be refunded if the items sells as it was in the past.

------------------
Posted By: 5 quart Re: LOTS of changes coming at EBAY - Tue Jan 29 2008 08:40 PM
Hi Guys I was referring to announcement by bill cobb that covers most of the changes- found on announcebent board-was not trying to start a ebay debate- i have been on ebay for over 10 years- averaged over 15 transactions a week- Have seen the Good-the bad and the ugly- and I am still there-

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans
Posted By: Jarvis Re: LOTS of changes coming at EBAY - Tue Jan 29 2008 08:41 PM
These are more reasons to sell items here on oldgas and set-up at swap meets and sell there.
I have issues with coming home with more stuff than i ever sell though. LOL
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: LOTS of changes coming at EBAY - Tue Jan 29 2008 08:47 PM
I'm not a salesman for ebay but I do believe we can all lose objectivity about ebay sometimes. If you do a show you've got rental space fees, fuel and transportation costs, motel fees, plus food and beverage. Not to mention two or three days of your time. The foot traffic at some shows is steadily declining too thus limiting potential buyers. That leaves you with the option of selling locally through the paper or garages sales. In regard to the internet, I'm going to try selling my stuff here first and then try ebay, but being objective, ebay is a pretty tough venue to top even with the increase in rates. Just my two cents.
Posted By: okoil1 Re: LOTS of changes coming at EBAY - Tue Jan 29 2008 09:02 PM
Not refunding the reserve price will only encourage more shill bidding on no reserve auctions. IMO, hiding the user id's and not refunding reserves will cause ebay to be the most crooked "auction house" in the world.
Posted By: Seth Robbins Re: LOTS of changes coming at EBAY - Tue Jan 29 2008 09:11 PM
Bottom line is this guys....we are looking at this from OUR perspective, in that we are worried about running AUCTIONS of antique items that are of a moderate to high-value. These types of ebay transactions are now in the minority. Ebay, for the most part, has turned into a giant "mini-mall" of sorts with ebay stores that are charging fixed prices for new items. Ebay stopped acting like an auction house and stopped catering to occassional sellers that run set-time, reserved AUCTIONS a long time ago.
Posted By: Jarvis Re: LOTS of changes coming at EBAY - Tue Jan 29 2008 09:53 PM
People and fun at swap meets are worth more than space fees or anything ebay can ever offer. I am not saying to stop selling on ebay but to help support the local shows. There is more to our hobby than money being made.

I have more fun at Peotone and hanging with gas guys that i now call friends.

Evansville show i showed Scott Shipers what a brain sandwich was. LOL
Posted By: Alex Re: LOTS of changes coming at EBAY - Tue Jan 29 2008 10:46 PM
I, too, sell on ebay and did the math to figure things are going up. I agree that there will be an increase in schill-bidding, but the one I noticed is sellers won't be able to leave negative or neutral feedback on sellers...only positive, unless you get creative in the comments section. I think, that too, will cause an increase in shill bidding and people who want to play games.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: LOTS of changes coming at EBAY - Tue Jan 29 2008 10:49 PM
Agree.
And most Peotone vendors offer free candy to all.
I don't see how eBay can offer that..
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: LOTS of changes coming at EBAY - Tue Jan 29 2008 11:53 PM
EBAY = On line Wal Mart/Kmart & 2nd hand store.
[Shopping without taking the wife].
Most vendors at Iowa Gas offer ya Free Beer [warm or cold] ! Plus there is always some guys with curtain shirts.
Posted By: blacktee Re: LOTS of changes coming at EBAY - Wed Jan 30 2008 12:49 AM
Not refunding the reserve price is the most asinine thing yet. I can understand not refunding if the item doesn't sell, but if it hits and no refund ??? One word

"GREED" I hope they choke on all the money...
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: LOTS of changes coming at EBAY - Thu Jan 31 2008 03:34 AM
This is for Don ,,, there is an auction coming up in Ontario Canada,,, and I know for sure the guy has quite a few US 5 quart tins and has had them for a long time,, let me know your needs and I will try and find out which ones he has in his auction,
Wes....
Posted By: dodogas Re: LOTS of changes coming at EBAY - Thu Jan 31 2008 03:57 AM
Selling on ebay wasnt so bad, but as sales went down their prices went up ( I mean ease of selling as compared to before that)

But what really killed it for me was reluctance for buyers to buy if you did not have paypal and were north of the border, and the really bad one.. HIGH COST OF NOT SELLING.. they would bug you to relist.. but eventally it got to the point where if it didnt get bought first try, I simply would not relist..

I dont find it nearly as enjoyable *** it used to be..
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: LOTS of changes coming at EBAY - Sat Feb 02 2008 05:43 PM
The new fees are just part of the changes.
Here's one of the changes I thought was interesting:

"Search Visibility
Search visibility will be tied to customer satisfaction. Customer satisfaction is reflected in a combination of DSRs, Feedback, and fewer complaints filed of an item being "significantly not as described" (SNAD) or "item not received" (INR). In March 2008, Best Match will become the default sort in search to give more buyers the results they want and will:
Increase exposure for sellers with DSRs 4.6 and above and at least 95% customer satisfaction in the last 30 days.
Decrease exposure for sellers with low customer satisfaction or Shipping & Handling DSRs."

Here's one thats just wrong!
"Buyers will only be able to receive positive Feedback"

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 02-02-2008).]
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk