Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Globes and Signs FANTASY RED HAT SIGNS - Mon Sep 15 2008 01:18 PM
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO THE POOR GUY IS THAT WON THESE?

IF YOU KNOW HIM PLEASE LET HIM KNOW THESE SIGNS ARE WORTH ABOUT $20 MAX. THEY ARE FANTASY SIGNS, RED HAT NEVER MADE THEM. JUST TRYING TO SAVE THE GUY SOME $$$.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140265833057&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004
Posted By: powerlube Re: FANTASY RED HAT SIGNS - Mon Sep 15 2008 02:21 PM
I saw that too John. I don't get it these days some repos are going THROUGH the roof. Its like the wild west on ebay these days.
Posted By: toychaser2005 Re: FANTASY RED HAT SIGNS - Mon Sep 15 2008 03:18 PM
yep fake indeed last i saw they where at 300 something sad
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: FANTASY RED HAT SIGNS - Mon Sep 15 2008 07:08 PM
IF he doesn't start doing some research before bidding, he will be THE POOR GUY.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: FANTASY RED HAT SIGNS - Mon Sep 15 2008 07:48 PM
The seller is one slippery piece of s***, in my opinion. Notice how he says its not a reproduction, but says nothing about being a fantasy piece. I picked my sign up in the early 80's for less than $10.00. I contacted the buyer and told him to check out this site. The ball's now in his court, but I would be raising 8 kinds of hell with the seller and ebay.
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: FANTASY RED HAT SIGNS - Mon Sep 15 2008 08:06 PM
First off I dont agree with items like this being misrepresented.

But... The seller did state that it was not a reproduction, nothing more. You cant reproduce somethng if it was never made. Although the listing may be misleading, the seller really is not lying. They are just leaving out some important information.

There is no doubt that it is a fantasy piece. If bidders do not research what they are buying, too bad, its on them. I really cant feel sorry for somebody, when so much information is available on the internet. As long as bidders keep slinging money around on items like this (because they dont research them), these items will continue to show up on ebay. Its that simple.

Ryan

------------------
visit my website for original gas pump parts

thepumpdump.com
Posted By: wfort39663 Re: FANTASY RED HAT SIGNS - Mon Sep 15 2008 08:23 PM
Here's another at the bargain price of only $195. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270147848931

[This message has been edited by wfort39663 (edited 09-15-2008).]
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: FANTASY RED HAT SIGNS - Mon Sep 15 2008 08:36 PM
To me, one who splits hairs is still lying. And the signs are reproductions, reproductions of a fantasy sign. I purchased mine almost 30 years ago and complained that I paid almost $10 for it. But I'm a cheap basta**. lol The way I look at it is, this hobby pretty much lost a new hobbist, one who may have spent money with you, Ryan. But I have a tendency to look at things as black or white, never liked the color grey.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: FANTASY RED HAT SIGNS - Mon Sep 15 2008 09:54 PM
I received a reply from the buyer, stating that a number of people(25 emails) had contacted him about the signs. He said that the seller had also contacted him and cancelled his bid. Hopefully the auction was cancelled and not a 2nd chance for some other sucker. I do agree with what Ryan said, and others as well, "buyer beware" and do some research.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: FANTASY RED HAT SIGNS - Mon Sep 15 2008 10:34 PM
I also received an email from him THANKING for the heads up. I inviteded him to join us.
db
Posted By: Globes and Signs Re: FANTASY RED HAT SIGNS - Mon Sep 15 2008 11:08 PM
YOU'D FEEL MUCH DIFFERENT IF YOU WERE "MISLEAD" AND LOST $600.
Posted By: Rick Brown Re: FANTASY RED HAT SIGNS - Mon Sep 15 2008 11:26 PM
Be real, it is not for sure the seller knew what was going on when he listed the item. I am really impressed with someone calling another person a "slippery piece of s****" because they are not as smart as you think you are. Do you think the seller would feel better if he knew the experts on this site refered to him as a "slippery piece of s***"?
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: FANTASY RED HAT SIGNS - Tue Sep 16 2008 12:18 AM
I agree the Choice of words above could have been more civil.

Until ebay changes their rules again on Negative Feedback, your going to see more unscrupulous sellers.

After these signs were listed, it is hard for me to believe that seller was not emailed sometime during the auction & told they were a FANTASY item.
Seller should have researched the items when the 1st few emails were received, then Revised the listing.
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: FANTASY RED HAT SIGNS - Tue Sep 16 2008 02:23 AM
I have been mislead in the past. Some people are greedy, and dishonest, and will take advantage of anybody they can. I think almost everybody at one time or another has been burned. Its a bad feeling, I try to do my homework on items I buy as to not have it happen. Its the main reason I shy away from signs and even sometimes globes. Way too many fanatsy pieces and reproductions that are unmarked.

Now, thats great that the seller seems to want to make this right, but for every one that does, there are 10 that dont.

I was not directley disagreeing with what bob posted, but trying to shed some light on a different angle, although probably not a popular one. This is not how I try to operate, but is how some people do think. Wording is everything, you need to read carefully and assume the worst when you dont know the person.

Ryan

------------------
visit my website for original gas pump parts

thepumpdump.com
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: FANTASY RED HAT SIGNS - Tue Sep 16 2008 03:33 AM
Just a thought. If someone writes something here and you question or disagree with it try contacting them before "slamming" their comments. I haven't always done this, but 99% of the time I have tried. I did contact the seller before I wrote my OPINION.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk