Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 5 quart Ebay -what good for it age means - Tue Jan 11 2005 04:05 AM
Hi Bought a Shell Bottle- description says "Good shape for its age" this means has only one big chip to top edge- bought fron socony7777- no peply when I complained-
The best description I see is"have not tried to clean -will leave this up to buyer"" translated means i got every bit of dirt and grease off I could- this is as good as it will get- thanks don Got any favorites??

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans
Posted By: Kysoilman Re: Ebay -what good for it age means - Tue Jan 11 2005 04:19 AM
How about on't know anything about this item (its a repop).
... small push on side (big dent)
... this happened to me ,can is MINT but they don't show the graphic on the can wondered why.. till I got the can poor condition.
...hole the size of a pin head (dime size)
...rare item (to the seller)
LETS SEE SUM MORE.
REX
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Ebay -what good for it age means - Tue Jan 11 2005 04:51 AM
I feel your pain. I bought a rare (really) globe lens a few years back. The seller said "Good condition". The picture was fuzzy. The lens I received was peeling. When I complained, the seller replied that it was in good condition for its age. I explained that good was good.....age has nothing to do with it. He refunded part of my money.

Here's one. "Slight discoloration" That covers anything from staining to rust.
Posted By: Tokheim Re: Ebay -what good for it age means - Tue Jan 11 2005 01:23 PM
REX makes Tokheim laugh. Don also speaks the truth.

I like "still displays really well" = with the lights off and one eye closed.

"A little bit of surface rust" = don't push on that area.

"Almost mint/nos" = only difference being scratches, edge chips and old paint

"I've had this sign in my collection for 10 years" = old repo

"I package well" = duct tape the sign to a piece of cardboard, fold it over, duct tape again.
Posted By: roger cherry Re: Ebay -what good for it age means - Tue Jan 11 2005 01:33 PM
Ever heard some of these??
"Day one gloss and color"
"Minty"
"Nice patena"
"Showpiece in real life"
Posted By: kmann Re: Ebay -what good for it age means - Tue Jan 11 2005 02:15 PM
selling for my friend (uhhhh.. huhhh)... paint is mint condition 9 (rest of item, which was not photographed, condition 2)... slight fade to reverse side ( usually translates to not being able to make out a damn thing)... rust,dents,scrapes,extra holes but,STILL DISPLAYS WELL.

kmann
Posted By: st.rod Re: Ebay -what good for it age means - Tue Jan 11 2005 10:37 PM
Its just like buying a street rod project. "rust free!" Meaning no charge for the rust. Larry
Posted By: the poor mans museum Re: Ebay -what good for it age means - Tue Jan 11 2005 11:56 PM
It's no different than the personal ads!

SWM mid 40's, healthy, athletic, finacially idependent executive looking for partner for romantic dinners and long walks on the beach.

Means: Middle aged divorvee that likes to watch TV sports has no money and needs to get laid.
Posted By: JEFFSAUTOMOBILIA Re: Ebay -what good for it age means - Wed Jan 12 2005 01:22 AM
good one poorman!
Posted By: r49th Re: Ebay -what good for it age means - Wed Jan 12 2005 01:27 AM
"Vintage"
"Old"
"Nearly New"
"Rare"
A can thats a globe, a globe thats a gas pump, a sign thats a globe AND a an oil can.
Oil cans that you can't tell if they are 1 Qt. or larger, metal or composite.
and the one that really gets me "I'm selling this for my Dad."

------------------
ROD [Mich.]
Posted By: the poor mans museum Re: Ebay -what good for it age means - Wed Jan 12 2005 02:06 AM
Okay, here’s the ultimate ebay listing for all of you spammers out there. Just use this at the start of your listing and you can cover all of the bases.

Globe pump sign can oil gas service station porcelain porcelane porceline Texaco Mobil quart rare vintage old antique collectible great mint new........key chain (or whatever you’re listing).
Posted By: kmann Re: Ebay -what good for it age means - Wed Jan 12 2005 02:07 AM
"FOUND IN THE ATTIC"
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Ebay -what good for it age means - Wed Jan 12 2005 02:25 AM
OR HOW ABOUT THOSE 10' - 20' - 30' (ETC) SIGNS THAT DON'T REFER TO SIZE REALLY, BUT HOW FAR AWAY YOU HAVE TO BE FROM THE ITEM ITSELF BEFORE IT STARTS TO LOOK GOOD!

DOC @ TAG/WEST
Posted By: gaspower Re: Ebay -what good for it age means - Wed Jan 12 2005 03:57 AM
Those are all great.

Antique= overpriced run of the mill piece of junk

[This message has been edited by gaspower (edited 01-11-2005).]
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk