Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Bob Troumbly sign authenticity - Wed Jul 06 2005 02:14 AM
Recently purchased a Pure Energee Diesel fuel #1 on e-bay and have serious concerns on it's authenticity.Wondering if anyone owns an original that could compare? Never seen one with 6 grommets,non-dated,4781 in left corner.Item was number 7164424114. I'm trying to establish real or not before sending any feed-back.Most of the other signs that have been listed by this seller appear to be the real mccoy but this one smells funny.
Posted By: cans and stuff Re: sign authenticity - Wed Jul 06 2005 02:27 AM
How do the grommets look on the back?

From the picture I'd say it's a repro.

Ethan
Posted By: scootdog Re: sign authenticity - Wed Jul 06 2005 02:35 AM
Who repop's it?

Scott
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: sign authenticity - Wed Jul 06 2005 03:08 AM
I'll bet it's REAL. Butch Greer had 2 bids on it.
db
Posted By: Kysoilman Re: sign authenticity - Wed Jul 06 2005 03:10 AM
THIS ONE CAME FROM AUMANN AUCTIONS.I DON'T BELIEVE THE # OF GROMMETS MEANS IT IS A REPRODUCTION.....IF YOU LOOK AT THE SELLERS PREVEOUS AUCTIONS HE ALSO SOLD A MINT #2 DIESEL LIKE YOURS.....ASK THE SELLER FOR SOME HISTORY ON YOUR P/PLATE.

REX LIKES PURE
Posted By: oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Re: sign authenticity - Wed Jul 06 2005 05:09 AM
Bob, my experience is that when a sign gets reproduced, it's more likely to have "less" grommets than more. I've not seen any repros with 6 .

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Posted By: bettin Re: sign authenticity - Wed Jul 06 2005 09:25 AM
delete

[This message has been edited by bettin (edited 08-22-2005).]
Posted By: Bob Troumbly Re: sign authenticity - Thu Jul 07 2005 12:51 AM
Chatted with seller today and the story is getting more interesting as we go.Turns out he bought a place from an old dude who worked for Tokheim, In and on the sheds were all the signs that he was selling many of which were legit.What makes the story a little stranger is that this one along with a dozen or so others(that's just the #1's)there's also that many #2's were wrapped up in newspaper in the building. I also got a chance to speak to Butch Greer today and the reason he didn't bid as high as the dumb *** that won(that would be me) is that he smelled something funny as well and didn't want to go any higher.These signs appear to have the correct split grommets have fairly close to the same colors as my originals but definately feel thinner and look too good.Anyway, Will continue to update as we go along as the seller is motivated to sell all the rest which will likely dupe others,of course provided they are in fact repo's and if not they will at least affect the overall market.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk