Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: roger cherry repo havoline??? - Fri Aug 12 2005 12:46 AM
I almost bid on this. I believe it to be repo but am not sure. I thought all the originals were flanges. The back looks to good also. Any opinions? Help?
Posted By: roger cherry Re: repo havoline??? - Fri Aug 12 2005 12:47 AM
Sorry, here is the link. http://cgi.ebay.com/Awesome-Rare-Havolin...1QQcmdZViewItem
Posted By: bettin Re: repo havoline??? - Fri Aug 12 2005 01:12 AM
Roger, I'd pass on it.

Can't say for sure, but the age of the piece, if real, I'd think would have the "splotchy" porcelain on the backside. The touch and feel would tell us more also - the flange is a very heavy porcelain shelving, and you would think the other similiar signs would be same.
Posted By: roger cherry Re: repo havoline??? - Fri Aug 12 2005 11:08 AM
Thanks for the opinion Ron, sometimes without being able to touch and hold it is only a guess. I don't feel like wasting the money to "take a chance". I am staying away. Thanks
Posted By: roger cherry Re: repo havoline??? - Fri Aug 12 2005 12:21 PM
I was looking at the bid history, and it looks like someone already got scared and bailed out with a bid retraction. I am now convinced it is not right.
Posted By: Sinclair Joe Re: repo havoline??? - Fri Aug 12 2005 10:05 PM
Roger...
Good call...I agree, the back on that thing
would make me think twice too.....
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: repo havoline??? - Sat Aug 13 2005 12:39 AM
I wish the photo was a little clearer, but to me, it's the 'in sealed cans' lettering at the bottom of the can that gives this one away...it's computer type, the font is called Avant Garde...the original lettering would have been hand-rendered and irregular in places...the Texaco Clean, Clear flange recently offered on eBay (and posted on Oldgas) had computer-generated type as well...

The rust stains running down from the grommets are a nice touch...
Posted By: buytex Re: repo havoline??? - Sat Aug 13 2005 06:38 PM
its a repop for sure stay away guys
Posted By: roger cherry Re: repo havoline??? - Fri Aug 19 2005 11:44 AM
Over 600 bucks, what a shame.
Posted By: buytex Re: repo havoline??? - Fri Aug 19 2005 12:48 PM
ron i emailed high bidder but i quess he didn't care once i emailed a guy about a repop he emailed back yea you just want it
WHO'S CRYING KNOW RICK
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk