Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: gasmelincelr Socony signs on ebay, opinions? - Wed Nov 11 2009 02:07 AM
At the moment there are two Socony lubester signs on ebay, one is in India and one is in USA. My gut tells me they are repro, any opinions? Just type in Socony sign to the search. Thanks.
Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: Socony signs on ebay, opinions? - Wed Nov 11 2009 02:45 AM
Post a Link so we kind find them faster. Then we can tell ya what we think.
Posted By: gasmelincelr Re: Socony signs on ebay, opinions? - Wed Nov 11 2009 11:08 AM
My internet skills suck, breakfast sausage is the only link I can work with.
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Socony signs on ebay, opinions? - Wed Nov 11 2009 11:43 AM
THE INDIA ONE LOOKS A BIT SLOPPY AND I'D BE STUMPED TOO:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-Enamel-Sign-Boar...4#ht_3075wt_941

THE INDIANA ONE LOOKS THE SAME BUT IN BETTER COND:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1940s-Standard-Oil-S...#ht_1653wt_1167

FOR ALL I KNOW THE ARTWORK COULD BE A BIT QUARKY BECAUSE IT'S SO SMALL
(8 X 10")
Posted By: roadrelics Re: Socony signs on ebay, opinions? - Wed Nov 11 2009 12:51 PM
wow treasureray is featured again as the seller of this socony sign here in the states so that means its 99% surely a repo...he was just featured on a different thread http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=25883&Number=159130#Post159130 selling the fake Shell kerosene flange, license plate toppers & the list goes on & on....beware of "treasureray" on ebay
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Socony signs on ebay, opinions? - Wed Nov 11 2009 01:43 PM
...I am absolutely positive that these are fake signs...

...the typeface (font) used to reset the 'MEDIUM' and other lettering is either Microgramma or Eurostile (those are the font names)...those fonts were not designed until 30 years after this style of Socony sign would have been used...from Wikipedia:

Microgramma (similar to Eurostile) is a sans serif font which was designed by Aldo Novarese and Alessandro Butti for the type foundry Nebiolo in 1952. It became popular for use with technical illustrations in the 1960s and was a favourite of graphic designers by the early seventies, its uses ranging from publicity and publication design to packaging, largely because of its availability as a Letraset typeface.

Eurostile (sometimes misspelled as Eurostyle) is a geometric sans-serif typeface designed by Aldo Novarese in 1962. Novarese originally made Eurostile for one of the best-known Italian foundries, Nebiolo, in Turin.

Eurostile was developed, because although the similar Microgramma came with a variety of weights, it had only upper-case letters.

...beyond that, and more obviously - these signs are ONE-SIDED...the originals were double-sided and attached to the top of the spigot on the lubester with a clamp, one half of which was part of the sign...
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Socony signs on ebay, opinions? - Wed Nov 11 2009 03:03 PM
Both look too SLOPPY to be original
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Socony signs on ebay, opinions? - Wed Nov 11 2009 03:16 PM
DOUBLE SIDED....THAT'S THE TICKET! BUT NOT ON THESE FAKES!
Posted By: DP Re: Socony signs on ebay, opinions? - Wed Nov 11 2009 05:52 PM
Those backs both have a familiar fakeness to them. Especially the India one.
Posted By: marxmobilgas Re: Socony signs on ebay, opinions? - Thu Nov 12 2009 02:33 PM
yes the shield has many "deviations" in its straight lines. Some of the other letters have other "copied/traced/" quality issues.
Nice try on both but no, no, no not original.

They dont make them like they used to, thankfully so.
Mark
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Socony signs on ebay, opinions? - Fri Nov 13 2009 04:13 PM
I would agree fake fake fake!!!!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk