Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: whiteflash Atlantic Aviation Sign - Wed Mar 24 2010 08:34 PM
I have never seen this sign before and not sure if it is original??? I looked at previous items sold by this seller and to me, the signs do not look correct for originals. Hoping someone could help.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATLANTIC-MOTOR-OIL-P...=item414e1629fa
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Atlantic Aviation Sign - Wed Mar 24 2010 08:46 PM
NEVER SEEN ONE LIKE IT BEFORE. LOOKS TO HAVE THE A-M (MAKERS) NAME IN THE LOWER RIGHT.
Posted By: whiteflash Re: Atlantic Aviation Sign - Wed Mar 24 2010 09:26 PM
Click on his feedback and look at the recent Opaline, Sinclair and Dixie signs that were sold.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Atlantic Aviation Sign - Wed Mar 24 2010 09:36 PM
Grandpa must have had a hell of a barn, filled to the rafters with reproduction signs. He is pretty vague when it comes to original or reproduction, a shrug of the shoulders and money coming in, lol.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Atlantic Aviation Sign - Wed Mar 24 2010 09:53 PM
No worse than calling this Fantasy Item a Reproduction.
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: Atlantic Aviation Sign - Wed Mar 24 2010 10:22 PM
Beware, this seller has previously sold phony signs.
Posted By: pumpingethyl Re: Atlantic Aviation Sign - Wed Mar 24 2010 11:03 PM
Originally Posted By: whiteflash
Click on his feedback and look at the recent Opaline, Sinclair and Dixie signs that were sold.
After looking at the signs that have sold recently from this seller I know I won't be bidding on anything he has to offer.
Posted By: grabber Re: Atlantic Aviation Sign - Thu Mar 25 2010 12:27 AM
I was wondering how they had so many nice painted tin/metal signs...I remember seeing an atlantic aviation sign similar to this one in a petro guide I have (orange cover petroliana guide)...but the colors seem a bit different I believe.
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Atlantic Aviation Sign - Thu Mar 25 2010 11:04 AM
SO WHY IS IT THAT FOR ALL THE YEARS (ABOUT 30+) THAT REPROS HAVE BEEN MADE, IS THIS THE FIRST TIME I'M SEEING SUCH A SIGN? IS IT A ONE-OFF? OR DID THEY MAKE MANY AND JUST TUCK THEM AWAY IN GRANDPA'S BARN FOR SOME SUBTLE AGING?
Posted By: DP Re: Atlantic Aviation Sign - Thu Mar 25 2010 09:34 PM
It's funny, in their feedback there's a couple of inexpensive signs that appear legit. There's no mention of a barn.
Posted By: grabber Re: Atlantic Aviation Sign - Fri Mar 26 2010 01:07 AM
Check out page 24 (lower left corner) in Mark Anderton's Petroliana Identification and Price Guide...the sign on ebay is the same(or similar)...and the measurements are within a 1/2 inch or so...The one on ebay only has 4 mounting holes (or appears to) which is a bit odd considering the sign is 38 inches high (might be possible if it were a tin tacker). The one in the guide has a frame around it so its tough to tell if it was a flat metal sign or a self framed sign originally. I have no idea whether the one on ebay is the Real McCoy or Fakey McFakelson.
Posted By: HI-OCTANE Re: Atlantic Aviation Sign - Fri Mar 26 2010 01:09 AM
He also has a very hard to find Humble, for you safety WE Don't Smoke On Drive Way sign. Which is all wrong. The mans hat is different and the letters look different and the grommets also wrong.
Posted By: whiteflash Re: Atlantic Aviation Sign - Fri Mar 26 2010 09:43 AM
Jury is out on this one for me. I'll bid on it when the paint dries.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk