Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 67Chev4X4 White Mule Sign - Wed Feb 16 2011 07:24 AM
Well it didn't take long for them to repro this sign. Same people that had the misspelled Frontier from Chicago. And they list themselves as Christian sellers. 320658231654 Mitch
Posted By: ebaygenious Re: White Mule Sign - Wed Feb 16 2011 10:21 AM
These people make me sick.....they have tons of fake signs and call themselves Christians???.......I e-mailed them this:

This mule sign is a new reproduction....surely good "Christians" like yourself aren't trying to sell this as an old sign????????????

We'll see what answer I get back.
Posted By: tomzcollectiblez Re: White Mule Sign - Wed Feb 16 2011 12:03 PM
7 negatives + 13 neutrals in last 12 months!
These sellers are BAD NEWS!
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: White Mule Sign - Wed Feb 16 2011 12:45 PM
...this is a perfect clinic on how to tell a shoddy repro...compare the type between the two signs...the repro sign has all of the type set on a computer...it's too perfect...

...I started a thread about this seller in "Known & Suspected Unmarked Reproductions", please check it out, some of the other stuff they are selling is beyond belief:

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=234071

...with Christians like these, who needs Elmer Gantry!
Posted By: ebaygenious Re: White Mule Sign - Wed Feb 16 2011 04:23 PM
My question......This mule sign is a new reproduction....surely good "Christians" like yourself aren't trying to sell this as an old sign????????????

Their answer...."nowhere in the description is the word old mentioned".

Wonder which church they go to that condones that?
Posted By: Scott Baselt Re: White Mule Sign - Wed Feb 16 2011 08:12 PM
Looking at the ad I don't see where they are trying to sell it as an old original sign. In fact it is advertised as a new one....
"Item specifics
Condition: New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item (including handmade items)."

The only problem I see is that it's not dated.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: White Mule Sign - Wed Feb 16 2011 09:01 PM
...from the description:

Description: This sign is made of very Heavy Steel. -(App. 18 gauge). The sign has a very Heavy Porcelain or Enamel type shiny finish, The graphics just POP. Very Detailed and Vibrant. A definite "Wall Piece". The sign is very heavy and thick and could not be bent by 2 strong men. The sign measures 30". The sign is in near mint condition and I cannot see any scratches. The sign is double sided. A very hard to find sign by my research. No patnet date or any other information on this sign. Sold As Shown AS-IS.

...you're right, they don't say it's old...but couldn't they have said 'This sign is NEWLY-MADE of very heavy steel' in their description?...ask yourself 'why didn't they?'

...and what 'research'?...we all know the OLD sign is 'very hard to find', but an unmarked repro?...I suppose I could make up a batch of signs that never existed, and call them 'very hard to find' because no one else had them...by saying their sign is 'very hard to find' they are attempting to lessen the distinction between their new sign and the old one...

...such emphasis on the condition in the description...understandable for an 80-year old sign; fishy for an item made in the last few weeks...

...I believe the 'item specifics' thing was intended for things like electronics...there are a lot of people that don't understand the meaning of the term 'New Old Stock' - and the terms listed by this seller under 'item specifics' could be applied to an old item in unused, New Old Stock condition...

...they are being subtle...they are saying just enough where their butts are covered, should they get an unsatisfied customer who was expecting a 'very hard to find' sign...
Posted By: oillease55 Re: White Mule Sign - Wed Feb 16 2011 11:51 PM
This is why I never post pictures of anything,maybe some of you have noticed that. I've got some things I would love to show but don't want them to be a magnet or clock or sign a week later so these pieholes can make money off of them. This is really starting to SUCK. ;;;;;;Ron
Posted By: Jarvis Re: White Mule Sign - Thu Feb 17 2011 12:00 AM
Ron, I hear you!!! I have some neat stuff to post but won't. I have bought some great globes last year.
Posted By: 67Chev4X4 Re: White Mule Sign - Thu Feb 17 2011 07:46 AM
They are on their fourth 30 inch Frontier sign and doing fairly well so far the cheapest brought $220. Mitch
Posted By: tomzcollectiblez Re: White Mule Sign - Thu Feb 17 2011 01:43 PM
People like this seller is ruining the hobby! Not to mention the NC crew and the Pennsylvania guy!!!!!
The buyer of the original mule sign has got to be VERY angry!
Until we figure out how to stop these BAD sellers this will ONLY get worse!
Jim, Can you stop people from copying images(stealing) from this site?
We need to PROTECT the hobby BETTER and EXPOSE the BAD sellers and the guys that are making these signs to decieve!
Posted By: AllenBrown82 Re: White Mule Sign - Thu Feb 17 2011 03:50 PM
there is supposed to be a way to post pictures to where people cant copy them to thier computer, i used to know how in high school, i will find out and let you guys know, that will stop some of this mess.
Posted By: Tara Worsham Re: White Mule Sign - Thu Feb 17 2011 04:09 PM
Tom, I think that's why a lot of people have stopped posting pictures of their stuff. I know we don't have a lot of really rare high dollar stuff, but I sure don't want what we do have being de-valued by the repros. Allen, I'm not a computer buff, so I could be wrong here, but I think there are ways around those things. Our wedding picture proofs were posted on the photographer's website and when you put your cursor over them, they disappeared. But, I was told that there is still a way to copy them to your computer. Besides, one could always do a screen shot and save it to their computer, couldn't they? IMO, the only way to keep pictures of your stuff from being copied is to not post them in the first place, unfortunately. I hate saying that because I really enjoy seeing pictures of other peoples' stuff, but that's just my opinion.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: White Mule Sign - Thu Feb 17 2011 05:07 PM
Yeah, its a sad day in Old Gas land if we have to stop posting pictures because of the thieves! I'm sure we can still post pumps and some things that aren't copied but the porcelain signs seem to be a no-no! I just received a beautiful sign in the mail and I probably won't be able to post a picture of it now. These crooks are really getting me mad over this and I really feel sorry for the man that bought the ultra rare mule sign, only to find out it had already been copied! SAure leaves a bad taste doesn't it!---KEVIN
Posted By: signsofthepast Re: White Mule Sign - Mon Feb 21 2011 06:52 AM
who cares? They listed it as new, I love this sign and could never afford a real one, keeps the hobby affordable
Posted By: signsofthepast Re: White Mule Sign - Mon Feb 21 2011 06:56 AM
HELL I BOUGHT A FRONTIER SIGN OFF THEM, THEY SHIPPED FAST AND THE QUALITY WAS AMAZING, VERY HEAVY, GRAPHICS WERE NOT DECALS DONT KNOW HOW THEY PULLED IT OFF, BUT LOOKS GREAT IN MY GARAGE NEXT TO THE OLD STUFF, i AM RAISING A FAMILY AND COULD NOT AFFORD TO ADD A $6000 SIGN TO MY COLLECTION, PLUS THESE GUYS ARE ADVERTISING THEM AS NEW, I AM GONNA BUY A MULE SIGN NEXT. THEY ARE KEEPING THE HOBBY AFFORDABLE HATS OFF
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: White Mule Sign - Mon Feb 21 2011 11:18 AM
keeps the hobby affordable? this HOBBY is about ORIGINAL gas station items.
Posted By: Jarvis Re: White Mule Sign - Mon Feb 21 2011 11:55 AM
Kz, Don't waste your time with some guy like this... he is just trying to stir the pot. He is new and likes reproduction junk, he's a decorator...
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: White Mule Sign - Mon Feb 21 2011 12:08 PM
Also sells fake patches on ebay.
Posted By: THERMOMAN Re: White Mule Sign - Mon Feb 21 2011 12:22 PM
What a shame. I think my favorite part of the hobby is walking into someones garage and seeing something I've never seen before. Maybe catching a picture on here of something fantastic. These people are stripping that awe factor away with these repops. They are opportunists, always on the hunt for money. Like a purse snatcher!!! They are copycats, zero creativity, zero imagination, zero responsibility!!!
Posted By: texaspelican Re: White Mule Sign - Mon Feb 21 2011 12:31 PM
http://www.cheezeqitstop.com/viewtopic.php?p=81643&sid=a99cbe9cff5a72767ced9f3271ae13ae

Why is it changing the cheese pit stop to cheezeqitstop
Posted By: tomzcollectiblez Re: White Mule Sign - Mon Feb 21 2011 12:33 PM
Hey guys and gals...Don't let this guy get you worked up!
A picture of his shop says it all!!!
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: White Mule Sign - Mon Feb 21 2011 01:05 PM
IS THAT CHICAGO MOTOR CLUB SIGN A REPRO AS WELL?
Posted By: texaspelican Re: White Mule Sign - Mon Feb 21 2011 01:11 PM
there's the mispelled frontier sign...I would assume that all of them are repops.
Posted By: tomzcollectiblez Re: White Mule Sign - Mon Feb 21 2011 01:25 PM
I before E, except after C...LOL

Yes they are all repo's!
Posted By: THERMOMAN Re: White Mule Sign - Mon Feb 21 2011 01:32 PM
Wow..... Never knew the Chicago motor club is repop...... But now that I think of it, there sure are a lot of them out there
Posted By: 67Chev4X4 Re: White Mule Sign - Tue Feb 22 2011 08:05 AM
He may not put many more on Ebay the last Frontier brought $78 and the White Mule brought $133. Can't be making to much money off of that. Mitch
Posted By: Lucky's Lonestar Re: White Mule Sign - Tue Feb 22 2011 09:45 AM
That OPEN sign is 100% original! At least he has that to fall back on, lol smile
Posted By: JOSBORN Re: White Mule Sign - Tue Feb 22 2011 09:47 AM
ALL JUNK!!!!!!!!!!

JMO!
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: White Mule Sign - Tue Feb 22 2011 02:45 PM
...I don't think all of the Chicago Motor Club signs are fake...there's just a lot of them out there...

...now, the one in the photo, I ain't rightly sure about...but the 'BONDED SERVICE STATION' type is definitely different than on the originals I've seen, and there should be FOUR hanging holes...so it's probably fake too....
Posted By: AllenBrown82 Re: White Mule Sign - Tue Feb 22 2011 04:46 PM
so i guess we should create a Professional Touch Football league for those people who can't handle full contact, it would be just the same as using a repop because you can't afford an original.
Posted By: oillease55 Re: White Mule Sign - Tue Feb 22 2011 06:26 PM
Well put AllenBrown82' People who collect reproductions vs. original petroliana are'nt in the same league. Little League vs. Major League, I like it. ;;;;;;;;;;;;Ron
Posted By: Jarvis Re: White Mule Sign - Tue Feb 22 2011 07:07 PM
I don't like reproductions anymore than the next guy but i understand the need for DATED reproductions in the hobby. I don't think we need to make everything out there though.

I hear people say they don't like dates... well to bad if you don't like a date buy a original. I also hear people say i can't afford to buy an original... but yet will but 10 reproductions @ $200 each.
Everyone can collect what they want... reproduction or original... bottom line is reproductions need to be dated!!!! Period!!!
Posted By: pollyman Re: White Mule Sign - Tue Feb 22 2011 07:18 PM
Thanks Jarvis, well put. You took the words right out of my mouth.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: White Mule Sign - Tue Feb 22 2011 11:25 PM
IF ALL of us had taken better care of our Teeth, we wouldn't be needing Reproduction TEETH!
LOL
Posted By: gasoildude Re: White Mule Sign - Tue Feb 22 2011 11:36 PM
Those signs would make a great target to blast some holes in smile
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: White Mule Sign - Tue Feb 22 2011 11:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
IF ALL of us had taken better care of our Teeth, we wouldn't be needing Reproduction TEETH!
LOL
dated?
Posted By: oillease55 Re: White Mule Sign - Wed Feb 23 2011 12:00 AM
You got me DB. Guilty as charged,although they are marked reproductions. LOL ;;;;;;;;Ron
Posted By: Tara Worsham Re: White Mule Sign - Wed Feb 23 2011 02:01 AM
Originally Posted By: AllenBrown82
so i guess we should create a Professional Touch Football league for those people who can't handle full contact, it would be just the same as using a repop because you can't afford an original.

Love it! I totally agree!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk