Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: gulfiend! this one didn't even last 3 days... - Wed Mar 30 2011 06:15 PM
...before it got yanked...sad...

Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Wed Mar 30 2011 06:37 PM
Hard for some sellers to give up the Bird in the hand for what Might happen if they let the auction run for the Bird in the Bush.

Wonder when ebay will start charging FVF for high bid when auction was canceled [& not re-listed in 30 days]?
Posted By: Gas stuff.com Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Wed Mar 30 2011 07:52 PM
WOW!!!! I really like that sign.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Wed Mar 30 2011 08:31 PM
Not that seller's first rodeo. I'm sure he got strong money for ending it early.
Posted By: always lookin Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Wed Mar 30 2011 08:38 PM
whats your opinions on ending auctions early?
I think its ok as long as there are NO bids.
Posted By: gmstuff Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Wed Mar 30 2011 08:45 PM
Who knows, maybe it went to a good home for the RIGHT reason?.......
Posted By: THERMOMAN Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Wed Mar 30 2011 11:26 PM
I knew you guys were talking about that sign even before I copied the number. There must of been 200 people watching that sign. As a seller with a ton of watchers I would never end it early .
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Thu Mar 31 2011 01:31 AM
I would never end an auction early regardless of the # of watchers.

The watchers are only tire kickers anyway, I have, several times, had 100-200 watchers only to have NO action at all the last day. and the item ending with 3-4 bids
Posted By: Jarvis Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Thu Mar 31 2011 01:34 AM
I can assure you Frankin that has it for sale didn't let it go cheap! He deals in these kinds of signs and knows what the value is.
Posted By: Jarvis Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Thu Mar 31 2011 01:38 AM
look at this
Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Thu Mar 31 2011 01:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Jarvis

Then Look at that sellers Feedback.....
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Thu Mar 31 2011 01:55 AM
Seller said it came from Az & that seller sold it for $300! MAYBE
Posted By: HI-OCTANE Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Thu Mar 31 2011 02:05 AM
Buyer wanted to know if he had any more rare signs ! Maybe it was a real sale. That's one that slipped though the cracks
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Thu Mar 31 2011 02:58 AM
Same sign in both auctions! Its amazing how much better someone can make a sign look with a little effort. Looks like Franklin got the 1st seller to end the auction early, and someone got Franklin to end his auction early. Curious what the sign actually sold for each time!
Posted By: Picture_Gas Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Thu Mar 31 2011 08:21 AM
Just a right time, right minute buy it now, good research John. Thanks everyone, glad you guys got to see the sign, (I personally don't like tombstone styles if it had been a 30-48 round whole different ballgame) no ebay fee's or pay-pal goughing. Regards
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Thu Mar 31 2011 09:42 AM
Ebay gets SCREWED again, The very reason us Legit sellers have to keep paying more and more in fees.
Posted By: oillease55 Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Thu Mar 31 2011 10:19 AM
If a seller ends an auction early they should compensate e-bay, they used them to advertise the item. As to the question is it okay to end an auction early, NO ;;;;;;;;;;;Ron
Posted By: Jarvis Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Thu Mar 31 2011 10:43 AM
ebay already got there money once from the sign on the first sell. Franklin got a good deal... sold it and made a few bucks.
Posted By: tomzcollectiblez Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Thu Mar 31 2011 11:03 AM
Ebay gets paid the minute item is listed! Its called a listing fee!
Its also perfectly legal to end the auction early!
Get over it UNTIL Ebay changes the rules!
Yes they miss out on a final value fee BUT it's still the rules!

He bought a sign with the buy it now at a great price then resold it for a HUGE profit!
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Thu Mar 31 2011 11:08 AM
Nothing wrong with making a big profit, But using ebay to advertise it, then yanking it to circumvent their fees is WEAK
Posted By: tomzcollectiblez Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Thu Mar 31 2011 11:40 AM
To say a seller is NOT legit is weak! He followed the rules!
To call him names or illegitimate is weak and AGAINST oldgas rules!

*I know the seller and he he didnt sell to avoid fees! he sold because of an offer he couldn't refuse...THATS the rules...
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Thu Mar 31 2011 12:03 PM
Wah Wah, everybody is out to "Beat" the system.

I DID NOT call anyone names
Posted By: always lookin Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Thu Mar 31 2011 12:54 PM
opinions vary !! wink
Posted By: Mr.Wadhams Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Thu Mar 31 2011 01:48 PM
Ebay has become a VERY unlikable bully that online sellers have basically no other viable choices to replace it with. My opinion, if there is a loophole in their system....use it. If Ebay was not screwing their sellers(their cash cows)without remorse so often, taking advantage of a legal loophole like this would not be as pallitable.

Jim
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Thu Mar 31 2011 03:05 PM
I agree with you Tom,,,, Ebay is doing quite well looking after themselves,, bidders/buyers that don't like auctions ending early are just poor loosers afraid to make a generous offer and buy it early..they are the opposite end of the seller, he wants all he can get and the buyer wants to spend the least.. this conversation is as old as dirt..
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Thu Mar 31 2011 05:13 PM
...poor losers?

...nah - I just like seeing auctions end as scheduled, so everyone can learn the value of a given piece...especially those of us to whom money is definitely 'an object'...

...of course - it would be interesting to see how some of you who defend the practice would act in the following situation:

SCENE: some auction house, during a petroliana auction...the auction's humming along, and during the bidding on a given piece, a man walks up to the auctioneer, interrupting the bidding, whispering in the auctioneer's ear...the auctioneer nods, and the man hands him a wad of cash...the auctioneer then gets back behind the podium...and announces that all bids on that item have been canceled...

...boy, I can see some of you big spenders losing your religion right now! mad
Posted By: Mr.Wadhams Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Thu Mar 31 2011 06:21 PM
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
...poor losers?

...SCENE: some auction house, during a petroliana auction...the auction's humming along, and during the bidding on a given piece, a man walks up to the auctioneer, interrupting the bidding, whispering in the auctioneer's ear...the auctioneer nods, and the man hands him a wad of cash...the auctioneer then gets back behind the podium...and announces that all bids on that item have been canceled...

...boy, I can see some of you big spenders losing your religion right now! mad

Nearly this same thing happens all the time at auctions I attend. It's called an "unannounced reserve". Many auctioneers around me let the bidding go to the end....then say "I'm sorry, we need more than that for it". Or we need "$$$ for that item to let it go --- anyone want to bid that?". Or "owner has an offer for more than that". If it's not announced as an absolute auction....they can pull any lots they want. There is more than one auctioneer around me who just sells to a "house" number and it often shows up again at a later auction for another try!. Sometimes dozens of items out of a single auction!

Another thing pertaining to "cheating" or "using" Ebay came to mind...what about when you guys give advice on finding the value of some rare or one of a kind item: Just run it on ebay with a stupid reserve and you will know how to price the item?? (This advice is flawed anyway as an unmet reserve tends to kill bidding)

Jim
Posted By: lordparaffin Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Thu Mar 31 2011 06:23 PM
I agree, an auction is an auction and for-sale is for-sale. Anything in between is simply muddying the waters to bend things to suit our needs. Don't like chancing the results to an auction, then SELL IT straight up at your price and wait for a buyer.
Posted By: strnge Re: this one didn't even last 3 days... - Thu Apr 07 2011 06:50 PM
Now we know where the sign went to: GMstuff

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=245230&page=3
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk