Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: dodgeman60 RARE CAN? - Mon Apr 04 2011 11:01 AM
THIS MUST BE A RARE CAN? E-BAY 380328885698
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: RARE CAN? - Mon Apr 04 2011 11:17 AM
Wholy Schnikies....That's Insane! 4X what it's worth....or am I missing something?
Posted By: PennWheelerPetro Re: RARE CAN? - Mon Apr 04 2011 12:14 PM
I would stay away from anything this guy has he sells a lot of repops as orignial and schills his auctions. A lot of the time if you watch his stuff something will sell extremely high to a newer ebay user ID and a month later he will list the same exact item again.
Posted By: bustermonty Re: RARE CAN? - Mon Apr 04 2011 12:22 PM
Jerry, I have to disagree. I have bought and sold to this guy several times. If he sells a repop it's because he was fooled. He is a strong buyer at almost every show in the midwest. As far as shilling I don't know. I have seen him get good money for items and have seen him sell for less than he paid. I could be wrong but in my book this seller is good.
Posted By: TeeTee Re: RARE CAN? - Mon Apr 04 2011 01:14 PM
About five or six years ago another 2 gallon Phillips 66 can in similar condition brought hundreds on ebay and it just blew me away, so seeing this one at this price does not surprise me now. Do these cans show up often? I have and have had a lot of 2 gallon cans, but I have not had this one. Does anybody on this site have one in that condition?
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: RARE CAN? - Mon Apr 04 2011 01:43 PM
This seller's items always have a ton of bids and always bring high $$$. Lots of activity on their auctions. I have not seen many repops from this seller but I will agree with the poster above. Something is going on here.
Posted By: advertologist Re: RARE CAN? - Mon Apr 04 2011 03:03 PM
outrageous price
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: RARE CAN? - Mon Apr 04 2011 03:50 PM
Can't say the guy has shill bidders. He's a strong buyer for sure. I've seen him buy 40% of the items in an auction! He'll turn around and list everything on ebay with no reserve at less than what he paid. He loses money on some, makes money on some, and in this case hits a home run.
Yeah, thats a crazy price for that can.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: RARE CAN? - Mon Apr 04 2011 05:16 PM
I have seen in person the same thing as Bob just said. I have bought from this seller on eBay and have gotten real items with no bad feelings about the experience at all.

I've seen a lot of various big cans in poor shape. Could be bidders have gotten tired of searching for this one in decent shape and they're motivated. All it takes is a couple of motivated (crazy) bidders.
Posted By: toychaser2005 Re: RARE CAN? - Mon Apr 04 2011 07:11 PM
***** ? R U KIDDING I COULD OF BOUGHT LIKE 10 OF THESE by now for less the 30 each in very clean cond this smells fishy to me
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: RARE CAN? - Mon Apr 04 2011 07:54 PM
Originally Posted By: toychaser2005
***** ? R U KIDDING I COULD OF BOUGHT LIKE 10 OF THESE by now for less the 30 each in very clean cond this smells fishy to me

Please explain how this could be fishy.

I don't think I've seen 10 Phillips 66 2 gallon cans like that in 20 years. 5 gallon yes, 2 gal no.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: RARE CAN? - Mon Apr 04 2011 07:59 PM
I've not seen any 2 gal REPOPS.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: RARE CAN? - Mon Apr 04 2011 08:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
I've not seen any 2 gal REPOPS.

With prices like this we'll probably start seeing them.
The can in question is real. I saw it at the auction where the ebay seller bought it. I think the ebay deal is legit as well.
Posted By: always lookin Re: RARE CAN? - Mon Apr 04 2011 09:04 PM
watch his stuff all the time. Always has great items that all start at 9.99/ Hes the reason I do the same on most items.
Posted By: chadrock00 Re: RARE CAN? - Tue Apr 05 2011 01:00 AM
I too have seen him at sales and he buys 90% of what he sales on ebay at auctions. As it was stated before, he does lose money on items, but the the items he does make money on far exceed the ones he does not. I have bought several thing from him in the past. From my experience, he is legit. This is what he does for a living I do believe.
Posted By: JOSBORN Re: RARE CAN? - Tue Apr 05 2011 01:19 AM
I sold him four signs at Peatone and he had them listed and sold on Ebay the next week. He made a good buck on them.
I think he does right!
Posted By: gasoildude Re: RARE CAN? - Tue Apr 05 2011 11:43 PM
I also know him. He is a straight legit seller & great person. I would buy anything from him anytime!!!
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: RARE CAN? - Wed Apr 06 2011 12:10 AM
Originally Posted By: gasoildude
I would buy anything from him anytime!!!

Even a $430 2-gallon Phillips 66 cans?

Brad, I have a Bridge I wanna sell ya cheap! wink
Posted By: Pegasus Re: RARE CAN? - Wed Apr 06 2011 03:29 AM
Another possibility........assume there's 20 different Phillips 2 gallon cans known to be out there, and the bidders already have the other 19 in their collections. The value of an item sometimes depends on how it fits into a specific collection. It might be worth $40 by itself and $400 to complete a "set".

Richard
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: RARE CAN? - Wed Apr 06 2011 04:56 AM
PLUS the condition has a LOT to do w/ price.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: RARE CAN? - Wed Apr 06 2011 12:26 PM
I wonder how many checked their garage to see if they had one of those to put on ebay? Usually when something brings a really good price, a lot of them turn up right away on ebay!
Posted By: TeeTee Re: RARE CAN? - Wed Apr 06 2011 12:46 PM
Well...I asked the question earlier if anybody on this site has one...no response...does that mean that out of the hundreds of collectors on this site we can't come up with one? Maybe it is kind of rare? If you got one in that condition, speak up.
Posted By: tjhvintage Re: RARE CAN? - Wed Apr 06 2011 02:09 PM
The two gallon can just topped the $600 mark a couple minutes ago. The same bidder is in the lead on a matching quart at $200! item # 380329094165. I have bought from this seller before and the items were clean and as described. Too bad the bidder's ID is hidden. Everybody could dig their Phillips cans out and offer them to him. wink
Posted By: DP Re: RARE CAN? - Wed Apr 06 2011 03:46 PM
I have one just like it that I bought on Ebay for about $80. It was 6 or 7 years ago, however. I really don't remember it having many bids on it. Maybe one or two others. This may be the only other one I recall seeing available since then. The condition of mine is actually a little better than that one. Two years from now I could probably list mine and it would bring $50.
Posted By: DP Re: RARE CAN? - Wed Apr 06 2011 03:49 PM
That $200 quart usually brings about $35 - $45. They're pretty common.
Posted By: dodgeman60 Re: RARE CAN? - Thu Apr 07 2011 09:58 AM
WELL DP IT IS TIME TO GET IT ON E-BAY, IT IS UP TO $1006.66. WOULD BE INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT YOURS WOULD BRING? HOLY SMOKES!!
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: RARE CAN? - Thu Apr 07 2011 10:09 AM
I don't care what anybody says, that auction has fraud written all over it. "Private" feedback, and multiple bids in $20. increments. Rare or not it STINKS from here
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: RARE CAN? - Thu Apr 07 2011 04:28 PM
Starting to smell like a family of Skunks.
Posted By: DP Re: RARE CAN? - Thu Apr 07 2011 06:31 PM
I have to agree with the smell. This is getting funnier by the day.
Posted By: DP Re: RARE CAN? - Thu Apr 07 2011 06:38 PM
I see another one has be listed in better condition opening at $125. I don't blame him.

Posted By: chadrock00 Re: RARE CAN? - Fri Apr 08 2011 03:14 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-Vintage-FLEETWOO...=item2a0f6d9fee

Something isn't right. Check out some of his other 2 gallon cans.
Posted By: tjhvintage Re: RARE CAN? - Fri Apr 08 2011 04:46 AM
1000 dollars on the 2 gallon can with two days to go.....
Posted By: JW32 Re: RARE CAN? - Fri Apr 08 2011 12:37 PM
makes you go HMMMM, maybe I should consign some of my stuff with him, gets more money than any auction service around, what a joke!!, Jerry you called it right early in the post
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: RARE CAN? - Fri Apr 08 2011 05:29 PM
Retracted: US $1,006.66
Explanation: Entered wrong amount

Can is back to Reality! $440
Posted By: DP Re: RARE CAN? - Fri Apr 08 2011 05:58 PM
Private bidder is no longer listed.
Posted By: lordparaffin Re: RARE CAN? - Fri Apr 08 2011 05:59 PM
Normally 2 gallons cans just aren't that sought after to demand such strong prices but there seem to be a number of them getting really decent money lately. A shift in interest or some new players maybe. I don't know about the Phillips but it just seems to good to be true. If the solid orange can design with with the big emplem and black ribbon (but I don't know if there was a 2 gallon made) were selling I could see these prices but this design was used from the late 30's clean thru to the early 50's and of the early phillips designs, this one is rather generic compared to the Trop Actic designs. Condition is awesome.....but not $440 worth
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: RARE CAN? - Fri Apr 08 2011 06:24 PM
Seller or someone else might just have wanted to know what had been bid!
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: RARE CAN? - Fri Apr 08 2011 09:05 PM
I Don't think so, Private bidder was upping the bids by $20. he did not post a High bid and walk away, HE was driving it up. Sounds like Mr. Goodguy got caught, He must've been reading OldGas
Posted By: JW32 Re: RARE CAN? - Fri Apr 08 2011 11:21 PM
kz, I agree with you, I know this guy & would not buy from him, he gets a bit pissy when you bid aginst him at auctions
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: RARE CAN? - Fri Apr 08 2011 11:27 PM
Quote:
he gets a bit pissy when you bid aginst him at auctions

That's cause your cutting into his profit he'll get when signs & stuff is sold!
WE all would like the buy Low & sell High.
Posted By: 67Chev4X4 Re: RARE CAN? - Sat Apr 09 2011 06:34 AM
I spent some time last night looking at the bidders on quite a few of the auctions that were high. Two bidders were running the auctions up. One with ID of 1##1(350) was bidding up the other every time he bid. He had around 400 bids in the last 30 days. Very few in gas and oil. The other bidder ID R##R(29) was upping the bids by $5 to $10 at a time. He had 1300 or so bids for the 30 day period. He was bidding on mostly gas and oil. The interesting part was that quite a bit of it was listed in Advertising Petrol which tells me that he may live in the UK or Australia. Just my Thoughts. Mitch
Posted By: lordparaffin Re: RARE CAN? - Sat Apr 09 2011 11:38 PM
I guess someone overseas with some capital and a strong desire to collect from the inventory state side could drive up prices especially if price was no object.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk