Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Someone got a deal - Tue Feb 28 2012 11:03 PM
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Someone got a deal - Tue Feb 28 2012 11:25 PM
Was a Buy It Now too.
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: Someone got a deal - Wed Feb 29 2012 01:21 PM
Back up seller said they made a mistake

Posted By: tomzcollectiblez Re: Someone got a deal - Wed Feb 29 2012 01:26 PM
Yes...They sold it for $250....Then relisted it saying they made a mistake??? I thought ebay was a binding contract???
Just because she got in a hurry(like she admits) and used an old template doesnt mean you can back out??? OR does it??? LOL
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: Someone got a deal - Wed Feb 29 2012 01:34 PM
LOL
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Someone got a deal - Wed Feb 29 2012 01:57 PM
I thought it was a legal, binding contract too Tom. Why have reserves if you can just say forget and relist it???
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Someone got a deal - Wed Feb 29 2012 01:58 PM
Wow, what in the world ? Lets let everyone do that so that they can have a do over. Have a auction that there is no contact or payment now, is the person off the hook?
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: Someone got a deal - Wed Feb 29 2012 02:03 PM
If I was the buyer I would put my foot down.
Posted By: chrisbowers Re: Someone got a deal - Wed Feb 29 2012 03:01 PM
The buyer does have *some* recourse, in that they can get eBay to ding the seller, maybe even suspend them. But typically if no money or goods have been exchanged, and the seller doesn't have a bad history, they'll let it slide. No way for them to force the issue, though if the buyer wanted to they could take them to court. It is a contract...
Posted By: advertologist Re: Someone got a deal - Wed Feb 29 2012 03:11 PM
when you think you've seen it all..
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Someone got a deal - Wed Feb 29 2012 03:38 PM
Greed brings out the worst in people, especially when buying and selling.
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Someone got a deal - Wed Feb 29 2012 03:45 PM
I see an honest mistake happened when the seller listed it, Right or wrong, I don't see why she should have to sell it for what is an obvious loss. Mistakes happen
Posted By: archer2 Re: Someone got a deal - Wed Feb 29 2012 03:51 PM
Quoted from first auction "All Sales are final", probably only meant to work one way.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Someone got a deal - Wed Feb 29 2012 03:56 PM
I think it's the small things that we do that determine integrity. If that was me and I had made the mistake, I would sell it for the $250.00. Whose mistake is it and what is the right thing to do? It's these moments and the decisions we make during those moments that define us as a person. Only I know my intentions, everyone else judges me based on my actions. In this case only the seller knows their intention, we can only judge them based on their actions. In my opinion the seller is only serving their own purpose. They need to place themselves in the buyers shoes for a moment and then they will quickly realize what is the right thing to do.
KZ1000 I think you looking at this from the sellers point of view. bear in mind it is their mistake. You need to consider this from the sellers perspective. They bid on an item and won it fair and square. This situation was not created by the actions of the buyer but rather the sellers.
Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Someone got a deal - Wed Feb 29 2012 04:06 PM
We are talking about a "BUY IT NOW" mistake, It was not an auction format where bids were made and then a seller changed their mind.
I find it very hard to believe that you or anyone else for that matter who meant to start an auction at $250. for a $1000. sign, BUT mistakenly hit the "BUY IT NOW" for $250. would let it sell for the $250. Again Mistakes happen and this seller is not a bad person IMO
Posted By: iowaoil Re: Someone got a deal - Wed Feb 29 2012 04:39 PM
I had a situation the other day. A bread sign popped up for $10 Buy It Now. Wasn't sure if it was legit or not, but I bought it anyway.

The seller emailed me almost right away and said they meant to list it for $100 and made a mistake. Based on their other items, I looked after I won the other auction, I think it was a mistake.

I had two options, let them off the hook, or hold them to the letter of the eBay law and make them send me the sign.

Mistakes Happen, Technology Screws Things up, brains get foggy.

So, I took the high road and let them off the hook.
Posted By: Alex Re: Someone got a deal - Wed Feb 29 2012 05:14 PM
I hate to burst your bubble on forcing the seller to sell. You really can't. I had a similar situation several years ago on ebay where I was the buyer. When the seller told me they "changed their mind" and wouldn't sell it. Ebay told me they cannot force someone to sell/send an item. They are a venue and not in possesion of the item. I spoke to a few lawyers and they all agreed. If you place anad int he newspaer for an item and someone calls...you do not have to sell it. Even if you sell your house....if (either the seller or the buyer) wants to back out they can. Even up to the time you are sitting at the clsoing. Heck, it is even hard to keep the money as the down payament on a house. Been there...done that. Would appreciate hearing from others who have had similar or different experiences.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Someone got a deal - Wed Feb 29 2012 05:36 PM
None of us will ever know what happened. Hopefully it wasn't because of a 3rd party that the sign was relisted.... Like most of you on Ebay, I have saved searches and get a list of items each morning that Ebay's computer program flags....

Sometimes I look at the emails after an auction has ended and kick myself because I would have bid on an item... Hopefully someone else didn't take it a step further and contact the seller telling him that they would have paid more for the sign.... And possibly the seller then deciding that the auction should be a "do over". But as I said, we will never know for sure.....
Posted By: tomzcollectiblez Re: Someone got a deal - Wed Feb 29 2012 09:39 PM
Someone has been emailing the sellers after seeing signs sell cheap...
They did it to me on an Indian sign! Whats funny is the seller TOLD me he had an offer from Massachasetts that was twice what I paid and HE was willing to take a negative from me to pay his bills!
Ebay would do NOTHING!!!!!!!
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Someone got a deal - Wed Feb 29 2012 10:28 PM
lmao, It wasn't me, I have never, and never will, ask to end an auction or cut into somebody elses deal
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk