Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 1937 GMC Texaco Marine Signs - Thu Mar 08 2012 02:57 AM
Found these posted on craigslist for those Texaco collectors. Post says they are real????

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/atq/2885441950.html

Attached picture Marine 1.jpg
Attached picture Marine 2.jpg
Posted By: advertologist Re: Texaco Marine Signs - Thu Mar 08 2012 03:23 AM
mounting holes appear to be in different location than were used to seeing..
Posted By: advertologist Re: Texaco Marine Signs - Thu Mar 08 2012 03:25 AM
never seen this version?
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Texaco Marine Signs - Thu Mar 08 2012 04:56 AM
Painted Tin, DBL & SGL sided Rack signs.
I have one that is DBL.
Posted By: KentuckyT Re: Texaco Marine Signs - Thu Mar 08 2012 11:53 AM
I'm not sure if they made the "Marine Motor Oil" version in porcelain (I have seen the painted tin type).

I also haven't seen any Texaco signs from the 50's with an ink stamp on them.

It's a shame how reproductions have all but ruined this sign. It's such a chore trying to figure out if it's original or not.

Jamie
Posted By: blacktee Re: Texaco Marine Signs - Thu Mar 08 2012 01:27 PM
These are porcelain not tin. Not intended for an oil rack. Just to hang. Tin were for your oil racks and curved on the backside to be installed on the wire rack. Stamp looks legit to me. This has all been discussed before on here. They made both Marine Lubricants and Motor Oil. Dick can you enlarge the photos ?

Doug

Posted By: advertologist Re: Texaco Marine Signs - Thu Mar 08 2012 03:03 PM
which of the 2 versions is the more common?
Posted By: Alex Re: Texaco Marine Signs - Thu Mar 08 2012 08:24 PM
So, Blacktee, do you think they are legit?
Posted By: blacktee Re: Texaco Marine Signs - Thu Mar 08 2012 08:47 PM
Randy

I think the "Motor Oil" is harder one to find. Alex all I'm saying is the stamp location and how it reads looks legit to me. That's as far as I'm going with it. Too much money involved with these signs. Why doesn't someone call the seller. Get more photos of it, both sides of the sign, logos, boat #'s and the buoy, grommets etc... Last one there was trouble with was a 1959 I believe ?

The only time I've seen these in tin were for racks as mentioned and old ones with blackts from the mid-late 30's...
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Texaco Marine Signs - Fri Mar 09 2012 01:15 PM
These are the 2 different versions that I own,, the Marine Lubricants is 15 x 30 , porcelain and one sided,( building sign ) dated 8-47, the other one is Marine Motor Oil, it is 11 x 22 is porcelain and dated 53 and is double sided,( oil rack sign)..I think the smaller version 11x22 is the rarer one, Matthews sold a mint on a couple of years ago for $19K... I have never seen this version reproduced but the larger one 15x30 has been reproduced to death,thats all I know,,

Attached picture Texaco Marine Lubricants sign 15x30.JPG
Attached picture Texaco Marine Motor Oil sign 11x22 rarer.JPG
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Texaco Marine Signs - Fri Mar 09 2012 01:22 PM
mounting holes are different because there are only two of them for a hanging double sided sign,
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Texaco Marine Signs - Fri Mar 09 2012 01:33 PM
Sad part is that there is so much controversy generated from the repops that it has greatly diminished the interest in anyone owning one of these great signs! I would love to have one but if I'm going to invest $5000+ in a sign, I sure don't want someone questioning its authenticity at some date & place!
Makes me want to put the cash into something that I trust a little more. Lots of stuff out there!
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: Texaco Marine Signs - Fri Mar 09 2012 01:35 PM
I agree with Kevin. Even the people making the repro signs are using ink stamps to mark the signs.
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Texaco Marine Signs - Fri Mar 09 2012 01:42 PM
The interest is still there big time for the true serious collector, this is what makes it so much fun,,it's not a no brainer anymore,, gotta do your homework,,I have both original ones and could sell them any day,,for away more than I paid,,, BUY THE GOOD STUFF...
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk