Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: wocopep Pathetic Repop - Wed May 09 2012 01:35 AM
Ebay #221015757960 Misspelled cougar to get by company name conflict. Crappy art work. No grommets. These signs were only made in six foot versions.
Posted By: tooter Re: Pathetic Repop - Wed May 09 2012 01:41 AM
I messaged them!

I think we should smothered em with messages telling them what a scam they are pulling....

sad part is 10 bids so far!!!!

found it in an estate!!!! yea whatever!!!!
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Pathetic Repop - Wed May 09 2012 02:24 AM
Why point out their mistakes to them? They will correct & then the signs WILL BE a Problem!
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Pathetic Repop - Wed May 09 2012 02:56 AM
Let me play "Devil's Advocate". How does anyone know that the seller, didn't buy an Estate and the sign was part of said Estate?

I've purchased a couple smaller Estates and have found repops and fantasy sign among the items...

If I wasn't "in the hobby" and was looking to turn the items... I would post an auction just as this seller did....

Unless this seller has had other instances where they have been brought to someone's attention in the hobby for passing repop and fantasy items.... Could be they are just an innocent "bystander" that found a "corrupt" item...
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Pathetic Repop - Wed May 09 2012 09:33 AM
Thats the most sensible post on repop signs anyone has made on here since I've been a member. Thank You Bob,,

( FOR NOT RUSHING TO JUDGEMENT AND CRITIZING )
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Pathetic Repop - Wed May 09 2012 10:22 AM
Couger is spelled wrong, unless it's someone's name and not referring the cougar cat. I don't see a couger oil company listed in the logo book.
Posted By: GILMORE Re: Pathetic Repop - Wed May 09 2012 06:33 PM
I found a couple 1950 articles mentioning a COUGER Oil Co of Twin Falls, drilling wells in Idaho. Also found several other articles from Idaho papers where it is listed as COUGAR Oil Co.

Perhaps there WAS a COUGER Oil Co...??? Is it possible that COUGAR Oil Co was originally COUGER Oil? I have NO idea, I'll leave it to you experts.

I see COUGAR Oil Inc is still around (I assume this is the same company as the old COUGAR Oil Co) and has the same logo, basically, as the sign on ebay...

COUGAR Oil Inc
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Pathetic Repop - Wed May 09 2012 06:57 PM
...there's a photo of the large (real) sign in the book 'Pump and Circumstance' by John Margolies, on pg. 24 - and Cougar is spelled correctly...
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk