Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: s932 I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 03:57 PM
Never thought this sign would be reproduced
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 04:07 PM
Some guidence from someone in the US on what signs should be faked....
Posted By: tomzcollectiblez Re: I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 04:55 PM
Look in his completed listings!!!!!!
He has sold about 15-20 THOUSAND dollars worth of these reproduction signs in the last couple months alone!
These 42 inch double sided porcelain signs will fool ALOT of people!!! Look at the date on the signs too! Wow!
Pretty sad! I hope someone goes after the guy for copyright infringement or fraud???
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 05:00 PM
Disgusting!
Posted By: powerlube Re: I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 05:14 PM
Add those to the signs original/reproduction I will never own...
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 05:17 PM
Wow Shawn, that is surprising.....I wouldn't dream that sign would be reproduced either. I didn't know nor would I have thought they would be reproducing 42" signs. This might really shake up the Texaco market when those start hitting the US as I'm sure they'll be next.
Sad, sad.... I guess those of us that have been in the hobby for a while were the last ones to be able to buy SOME signs comfortably without any fears of fakes, now it seems nothing is beyond reproducing, as long as there are dollars to be stolen from new or unsuspecting buyers.
Darin
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 05:30 PM
This seller has recieved numerous negative feedback but they all seem to go away? Must have a friend at ebay customer service ....
Posted By: s932 Re: I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 05:35 PM
I just bought an original version in July, and never dreamed that it would be reproduced. Did you see the price he is asking for a fake sign, it's a lot more than what an original brings. Also his eBay name says it all
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 05:59 PM
Just another reason why reproductions, dated or not are NO GOOD for the hobby.
Posted By: eric grinder Re: I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 06:20 PM
Rick, I couldn't agree more! It truly is disgusting how I hear horror stories of sellers with 100% feedback losing their seller privledges over less than 5 star detailed seller ratings on certian things like high shipping charges. Yet this scumbag makes a very healthy years pay just ruining our market and hobby while Ebay sits on their hands???!? I am so sick of seeing this sort of thing day in and day out. There has to be something we can do. Is it possible for us to make a difference if we ALL started contacting ebay on all of these certian sellers auctions? I would imagine if 100 people put their minds to it and really stuck to the plan we'd have to make a difference in the ebay community. And think if we can stop this stuff from getting to people on ebay then we just removed their biggest marketplace to our country!
Posted By: wfort39663 Re: I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 06:27 PM
The only thing that's not a fake with this piece is the price. At least that should keep the bottom feeders looking to flip this piece of junk from bidding.
Posted By: Alex Re: I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 06:30 PM
For the last several months I have been reporting items that were classified in the wrong category. LED and other signs inthe Texaco category that were not even oil and gas related. Ebay has done nothing as they still show up. I realize they probably get tousands of items reported, but see very few results.
Posted By: Here's Your Sign Re: I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 06:31 PM
Anyone who buys from a guy in INDIA with a name like stencilwork had it coming. I've reported him to eBay on my part.
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 06:42 PM
I think the best thing we can do is take images and add them to the repro gallery...and make people more aware of these junk signs. Ebay will do nothing....as collectors its our job to eliminate or limt the business of people like this . The more we keep up on what this guy is doing...the better off we will be. This is not this guys first rodeo....someone here in the US is backing this guy and directing him on what to make.

This is a scary one but many mistakes which i will not mention public

Posted By: Bob Richards Re: I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 06:53 PM
In India, it is NOT AGAINST THE LAW TO MAKE REPOPS AND FANTASY ITEMS..... In fact it is encouraged... Helps support Local Communities and Local Economy's.....

Repops and fantasy items have been in the Hobby, long before I started Collecting.... It will be part of the Hobby long after I stop walking this Earth...

Suck it up..... Collectors have been complaining about repops and fantasy items for over 60 years.... It is NOT NEW... The only thing, NEW...... Is you folks!!!!!!!!!!

For those who have "10 minutes" in the Hobby... Take a deep breath... For you "Experienced Collectors"... You have been in the Hobby long enough to know you have NO CONTROL over others that make this junk, so why get upset?

I expect that most every popular Company will be repopped... It is up to me, to educate myself and know when they surface... Getting upset, at least for me, doesn't change a damn thing.. (It does help to vent, I know that for a fact... LOL)
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 07:11 PM
I disagree Bob, years ago you got a very seldom reproduction that was easily distinquished from an original, NOW we have people that claim they are collectors and even people on this site that are responsible for producing this never ending supply of garbage, It is NOTHING like it was years ago, the amount and quality of reproductions made now have ruined a good part of what real collectors used to treasure.
Posted By: s932 Re: I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 07:26 PM

For those who want to see the difference
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 07:35 PM
Rick, can you honestly stop anyone from making or selling a repop and/or fantasy?......

If not? Why get so upset? Why not accept that they are part of the Hobby? A part that I wished wasn't a part of the Hobby... But my Dad, liked the old adage " Wish in one hand, Cr** in the other and see which one fills up faster"?......

One doesn't have to like repops/fantasy or have to partake in them. Each person/Collector/Decorator is able to decide for themself......

For me... Since I can't stop the manufacture and sales of them, I personally have to accept that they are an unfortunate "fact of life" in this Hobby...
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 07:39 PM
What Shawn just did, could "come back to bite him in the *****"...

But a big thanks from me... Who doesn't collect MFA items... I can see the difference and it will stick with me, now...
Posted By: grabber Re: I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 07:48 PM
Are there any attorney's here on oldgas that are members? I think ebay needs someone (such as an attorney/lawyer) to contact them regarding giving the crooks that make these signs an avenue for selling them...without ebay how many of these would be on the market here in the states (one percent maybe?). I blame ebay for not doing anything about it (i have called countless times). Nothing makes me more mad than driving around...putting a few thousans miles on the truck to find REAL OLD (not old style or repop stuff) to offer for sale...and then have these foreign guys pop them out of a factory with no recourse... I am sure if enough folks got together and complained LOUDLY things would change...
Posted By: s932 Re: I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 07:48 PM
Bob I look at it like the damage is done I can't stop it so I posted the picture so everyone can see hopefully not get burned on a fake sign, but I'm sure someone will. Look at the famous Mobil T53 sign it gets someone every week.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 08:04 PM
Things would not change! Not one of us are considered a recognized expert in the "Field"... Namely, because we don't have an Organization or Standards....

Joey, you have been buying and selling items for years.... But, Ebay doesn't have anyway of knowing your background.... So put yourself in their position: Someone contacts you and you have NO IDEA if they actually know what they are talking about? You, have to pass....

If we had Standards and an Organization, then there would be more "influence and pressure" that possibly could come to bear?

But as it is right now, everyone in the Hobby is able to determine Grading and state if something is Original or Not...

I wouldn't listen to those contacting Ebay, if I was them. (and yes I have contacted and talked to Ebay on more than one occasion)...

Back in the early 70s, my Dad and some of the "old timers" in the Hobby got together and talked about trying to form an Organization to set Standards in the Hobby... As everyone can see... it went nowhere and even fractured a number of long time friendships....
Posted By: bustermonty Re: I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 08:09 PM
M F an A!! You can't control others. You can control they way you react. Bob, some are sure to be upset. It would be hard not to be for those who own what is now coming to market. Perhaps we could make a difference if several hundred people reported this to ebay. Most likely ebay won't do a thing. Anyone with customs on this site? Could this be stopped in the shipyard? Bob points out no laws broken in place of origin but when the container lands is it still legal? I guess the individual trademark owners are the ones who should really be upset and willing to stop this. Their collective clout is far greater than all the members of oldgas. Perhaps if they were inundated with people pointing out their ripped off trademarks on these signs something might get done. It is a frustrating, disgusting part of this hobby that is not going away soon if ever. Now where do I send info to Texaco, Harley and all the others still in business? Someone should have some insight on who the right contact might be.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 08:15 PM
Every time a Fake/Fantasy item sells for more than it cost to make, it's just an Incentive for the maker/seller to correct mistakes & make/sell another.

Remember approx. a year ago when someone from India wanted to move a Cargo Container to Ky/Tn & wanted help in selling their Collection of signs?
Even through they haven't posted lately, I'd bet they are still Coping images that are posted here & Correcting their graphics. Every time a Fake is posted, WE post what is Wrong & how to tell the Original from a Fake.

JP can make it Difficult to Copy/Snag images, BUT will never be able to Prevent it from happening. As large as ebay is they Cannot stop it either. HELL even Coke-Cola Doesn't seem to care that their Logo is being used for FRAUDULENT signs.

With the New CD being sold on Globes [HIGH RESOLUTION PDF Images], it's just a matter of time before WE see a Large influx of FAKE Globes being offered from India, Argentina & even from here in the states. Making Globes is a lot less Expensive than setting up for making Porcelain signs.
jm2c
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 08:31 PM
That's another problem Greg, these signs/Fakes are Not coming into the country in containers, they are being shipped to individuals 1 & 2 at a time. U.S. Customs does not have the manpower to check Every Package, they can only spot check. Same as they do for drugs, they Might be stopping 1/10 to 1/100 of what is crossing the boarder daily.
Posted By: GasCan Re: I think im going to puke - Sat Aug 11 2012 09:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
In India, it is NOT AGAINST THE LAW TO MAKE REPOPS AND FANTASY ITEMS..... In fact it is encouraged... Helps support Local Communities and Local Economy's.....

Repops and fantasy items have been in the Hobby, long before I started Collecting.... It will be part of the Hobby long after I stop walking this Earth...

Suck it up..... Collectors have been complaining about repops and fantasy items for over 60 years.... It is NOT NEW... The only thing, NEW...... Is you folks!!!!!!!!!!

For those who have "10 minutes" in the Hobby... Take a deep breath... For you "Experienced Collectors"... You have been in the Hobby long enough to know you have NO CONTROL over others that make this junk, so why get upset?

I expect that most every popular Company will be repopped... It is up to me, to educate myself and know when they surface... Getting upset, at least for me, doesn't change a damn thing.. (It does help to vent, I know that for a fact... LOL)

Agree 100% with Bob. I've been in the hobby only a few months myself and haven't unknowingly bought a repop sign yet. I look at feedback, and examine the signs carefully before buying each and every one. Spotted a lot of fakes out there and simply move on. Not worth trying to report.
Posted By: bppierce Re: I think im going to puke - Sun Aug 12 2012 03:38 AM
For any legal action, you need concrete proof. We all know it's fake, but thus far there is no concrete proof.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: I think im going to puke - Sun Aug 12 2012 03:41 AM
concrete proof = beyond a reasonable doubt
Posted By: Here's Your Sign Re: I think im going to puke - Sun Aug 12 2012 01:55 PM
Has OldGas ever considered becoming more private? You can't give away the richest source of knowledge on the subject and not expect it to be misused.
Posted By: Old Iron Re: I think im going to puke - Sun Aug 12 2012 02:52 PM
I think I have made my thoughts regarding un-dated repops very clear in earlier posts.As I remember,that eas the only time I ever swore at someone on here.

As has been noted,we are not going to stop it IMO.All one has to do is go back into previous posts on here and review the listings from the several auction companies for an almost un-ending source of images.For the most part,IMO, too late.

I will make a couple of general comments on this subject speaking only for myself.

First,I have a few signs and original decals that I have yet to see close up pics of posted anywhere.DB told me early on that if I didn't want them popped,don't post them.I listened.They have never been posted.The sad part of that is there are several that some members here probably don't even know exist.

Second,I also have a list of very desireable signs,NOT limited to gas and oil,that I will never own because of this.I do resent this very deeply because it restricts what is available for me to collect and enjoy.

Sorry about the sign Shawn.I too would be sick about it in your position.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: I think im going to puke - Sun Aug 12 2012 06:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
What Shawn just did, could "come back to bite him in the *****"...

But a big thanks from me... Who doesn't collect MFA items... I can see the difference and it will stick with me, now...

Who's Shawn and what did he do?

Never mind!! I just read the rest of the post's. I get it now.
Posted By: s932 Re: I think im going to puke - Sun Aug 12 2012 06:10 PM
That would be me
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: I think im going to puke - Sun Aug 12 2012 06:14 PM
Originally Posted By: s932
That would be me

Lol!
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: I think im going to puke - Mon Aug 13 2012 12:09 AM
They have reproduced this sign for 15 years or more and it hasn't made a difference to the originals, just check out Iowa Gas auction a week or so ago..they still bring $5000 or more..

Attached picture Texaco Marine Lubricants sign 15x30.JPG
Posted By: henlovestoys Re: I think im going to puke - Mon Aug 13 2012 01:45 AM
Thanks Wes for sharing this.

Great news indeed!

IMO, there are those collectors with big_$$$ that will go out of their way to get that REAL thing regardless of what is out there!

Enjoy seeing these types of posts!

Henrik
Posted By: MARK SMITH Re: I think im going to puke - Mon Aug 13 2012 03:49 AM
The cheaters suck!Very sad.They may be featured on TV someday.American Greed I believe is the show!Crooks are out there guys and gals.Sad.Be careful.Hope you all have a great week.Mark
Posted By: Scott Baselt Re: I think im going to puke - Mon Aug 13 2012 04:40 AM
Originally Posted By: MARK SMITH
American Greed I believe is the show!

LOL

Good one !
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: I think im going to puke - Mon Aug 13 2012 03:26 PM
Personally, I think its going to cause a lot of problems about 20 to 30 years in the future!
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: I think im going to puke - Mon Aug 13 2012 03:46 PM
I know I won't be here in 20-30 yrs from now..LOL !!!!!
Posted By: Bud Miley Re: I think im going to puke - Sun Aug 19 2012 01:59 PM
Look at the tiny letters "trademark" underneath the MFA? I guess this must be the Indian spelling? I wonder if he drilled those holes before or after he drank a case of beer.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk