Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: DWSheffer Another junk Mobil item.... - Fri Dec 21 2012 04:07 PM
Another sloppy POS from India....they're trying to say it's of German origin 1930, interestingly before the Socony-Vacuum merger and the use of the Pegasus logo for Mobilgas signs which started a couple years later. I don't think they would have had the English spelling of aircraft either, maybe flugzeug instead, lol. Too many mistakes to be a genuine sign for anyone that knows a little history and looks at it for more than 30 seconds. smile
Ebay item 261145265605
Darin
Posted By: Rudy Owens Re: Another junk Mobil item.... - Fri Dec 21 2012 05:12 PM
It may be listed from Indian, but I would say it is more possible that it is real than fake. I have not held this one in my hands, but I have held an original just like this. I am sure I will be ousted for my opinion.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Another junk Mobil item.... - Fri Dec 21 2012 06:23 PM
I would like to hear what others think on this item. I should clarify that even if it isn't from "1930" and was circa 1950, it's still poor quality in my opinion and doesn't look right. Why would a German sign be in English? Looks like small mounting holes, the Pegasus face details are lacking, as well as other body line details are incorrect, like the tail points. Not picking it apart to prove myself by any means, it's just a poor quality sign that I believe is a repro and would like to hear other's thoughts!
Posted By: Gas globe guy Re: Another junk Mobil item.... - Fri Dec 21 2012 06:34 PM
Maybe a pump plate? It is close to the size of one. I would think it would be a sign from over seas.. IMO, I can't tell if it is fake or real.
Posted By: chevrolet Re: Another junk Mobil item.... - Fri Dec 21 2012 08:00 PM
The M and the pegasus' mouth look strange,the "germany" and the back look like someone was trying too hard...ohh and the tea stains rubbed on the front.I say FAKE...IMO also check out this sellers other listing,alot of stuff from India.
Posted By: nochevys Re: Another junk Mobil item.... - Fri Dec 21 2012 09:05 PM
I say india repop the pegasus is just wrong and all the "chips" look like they were made by the same hammer. The chipped edges of the prcelain all look the same and fresh. none of my signs have porcelain chips that look like that and I have lots of porcelain chips in my signs. I Probably shouldn't be teaching the repopers how to improve their signs by explaining what they are doing wrong though...
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Another junk Mobil item.... - Fri Dec 21 2012 09:29 PM
Funny how the chips are not on the graphic and lettering at all....suspicious!
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: Another junk Mobil item.... - Fri Dec 21 2012 11:38 PM
I say fake as well due to the lack of details and weird suspicious chips . It will be interesting to see if it sells and for how much.
My bids wont go towards it. No expert on foreign signs but looks a bit off.

Dan
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Another junk Mobil item.... - Sat Dec 22 2012 03:00 AM
Hell, ya'd have ta be a Good Shooter to hit Pegasus!
Posted By: fast66 Re: Another junk Mobil item.... - Sat Dec 22 2012 09:18 AM
IMO a fake!
/Claes
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk