Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 56Chevy Indian Gas Pump Plate, the real deal? - Mon Feb 04 2013 01:08 PM
Say this on E-Bay 130844743484. Is it the real deal or not. Last time I bought a sign on flea bay got burned.
Posted By: hobbies4howie Re: Indian Gas Pump Plate, the real deal? - Mon Feb 04 2013 02:23 PM
I'm probably wrong on this but isn't the date usually on the bottom right of those signs instead of the bottom left? There doesn't appear to be any rack marks on the back of the sign. I don't know for sure but if its a real one it sure is a nice one!
Posted By: advertologist Re: Indian Gas Pump Plate, the real deal? - Mon Feb 04 2013 02:53 PM
Originally Posted By: hobbies4howie
I'm probably wrong on this but isn't the date usually on the bottom right of those signs instead of the bottom left? There doesn't appear to be any rack marks on the back of the sign. I don't know for sure but if its a real one it sure is a nice one!

Date is on the bottom right same as the Texaco.. cool
Posted By: wfort39663 Re: Indian Gas Pump Plate, the real deal? - Mon Feb 04 2013 04:03 PM
Looks good to me. Think the repops have a 1990s date on them.
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Indian Gas Pump Plate, the real deal? - Mon Feb 04 2013 05:01 PM
it's the real deal.
Posted By: hobbies4howie Re: Indian Gas Pump Plate, the real deal? - Mon Feb 04 2013 05:31 PM
Guys, am I looking at the pictures of this sign on ebay wrong? The date appears to be on the bottom left of the sign and the "made in the u.s.a" is on the bottom right (as you look at the sign). Isn't that opposite of what it should be?
Posted By: wfort39663 Re: Indian Gas Pump Plate, the real deal? - Mon Feb 04 2013 09:26 PM
Just looked at mine and date is on right side????
Posted By: keithia Re: Indian Gas Pump Plate, the real deal? - Tue Feb 05 2013 12:56 AM
The older 1940 or so Texaco signs are dated on the bottom left corner with Made in USA on the right. Are the dates on your signs newer?
Posted By: blacktee Re: Indian Gas Pump Plate, the real deal? - Tue Feb 05 2013 01:00 AM
Originally Posted By: keithia
The older 1940 or so Texaco signs are dated on the bottom left corner with Made in USA on the right. Are the dates on your signs newer?

100% Correct. The sign is a beauty, saw it this morning..
Posted By: HI-OCTANE Re: Indian Gas Pump Plate, the real deal? - Tue Feb 05 2013 01:08 AM
Just went out and checked mine. And I am 100% sure mine is real
My date is on the bottom left 3-40 and made in usa on the bottom right.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Indian Gas Pump Plate, the real deal? - Tue Feb 05 2013 01:18 AM

apparently they put the date on both sides- this one is dated 9/40 with date on the right-
ebay # 380566652650.. cool
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Indian Gas Pump Plate, the real deal? - Tue Feb 05 2013 02:35 AM
& some think 1 sign company & location made ALL the Texaco Signs!
Posted By: blacktee Re: Indian Gas Pump Plate, the real deal? - Tue Feb 05 2013 07:45 AM
I believe that's the first time I've seen that one Randy, but it to looks correct to me. Everything thing I've seen before Indian, F/C, S/C 1940,1941 and a few 1942's have been on the left side. Dick too has a point...
Posted By: white flash fan Re: Indian Gas Pump Plate, the real deal? - Thu Feb 07 2013 02:39 AM
Mine is original and has the date on the lower left. All of the re-pops I have seen over the years have a weird looking "G" in GASOLINE. I was told that is how to tell the difference between them years ago. But with India and Argentina selling signs now, who knows in this day and age. The rack marks on the back, or lack of, are always a good hint to authenticity.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk