Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Jake V. 1930's Gargoyle Mobil Oil Mobiloil Porcelain Sign - Thu Jul 25 2013 01:43 AM
Hey guys just wondering what your thoughts are on this sign? Is it the real deal? Item #171079989246. Thanks.

looks good
IMO.. cool

Attached picture therealmccoy (1).jpg
Posted By: Jake V. Re: 1930's Gargoyle Mobil Oil Mobiloil Porcelain Sign - Thu Jul 25 2013 02:15 AM
Thanks guys..
Doesn't to me...

The Lettering where the red is laid on the word "Gargoyle" on the Ebay piece. Is IMO, sloppy and "Amateuristic"... And the Gargoyle has different details, than signs I've owned in the past. I've owned a few Vacuum signs and none were like the sign in question on Ebay...

The ones I have owned. Have all been, laid out like this Vacuum Lollipop sign:

Close up of lollipop sign:

Letters flow together and look complete, (IMO):

Close up of sign on Ebay:

I maybe wrong, but I see a huge difference between the 2 signs.

Or maybe this is more common than I've ever noticed? And possibly, I've just been lucky with the signage I've owned in the past?
I just looked at mine I don't like the vaccume on the bottom looks not straight??
.. cool

Attached picture IMG_0738[1].JPG
Here is mine

Attached picture mobil oil sign 1.jpg
To these "tired" eyes... Both Randy's and Scott's signs look like the "lollipop"... Lettering uniform and "flowing"... Not "broken and uneven" like I believe the lettering is on the Ebay sign...

But, my eyesight is no where near what I would like it to be...
better pics

Attached picture mobil sign 1.jpg
Attached picture mobil sign 2.jpg
This is a close up of the ebay piece. Notice the different size letters in the word vacuum as Hotrodfun had said. Just seems a little funny.
Randy, can you check yours please? Are the letters consistent?

Attached picture vac.jpg
Posted By: Gargoyle Re: 1930's Gargoyle Mobil Oil Mobiloil Porcelain Sign - Thu Jul 25 2013 01:26 PM
I have to agree that this sign is questionable - I have a few of these and none of them have that sloppy lettering on the bottom. I'd stay away from this one. shocked
Tom
Okay guys. I've had a lot of these 24"-30" curb signs and many cabinet signs. The signs are 90 years old and hand stenciled. The back will tell you more than the front. I didn't pull my cabinet sign off the wall, but have no doubt it's the same as the one in ebay. I'm posting 2 photos of one of my 24" curb signs and 2 photos of my cabinet sign. Despite it's discrepancies the sign looks good to me.

Attached picture rr_001.jpg
Attached picture rr_002.jpg
Attached picture rr_003.jpg
Attached picture rr_004.jpg
Another example of what the unmarked reproductions have done to us!
It causes us to question every little blemish and irregularity on every sign we look at!
I doubt that its ever going to go away, so this kind of education is the best defense we have!
I believe the ebay sign is real from what has been shown here!
if it is fake it is a real good fake.
this sign was hard to get too-
picture of bottom of mine.. cool

Attached picture IMG_0743[1].JPG
another example of a original gargoyle where the stenciler had something else on his mind.. cool

Attached picture IMG_0746[1].JPG
Posted By: Pegasus Re: 1930's Gargoyle Mobil Oil Mobiloil Porcelain Sign - Fri Jul 26 2013 03:05 AM
I think Randy hit the nail on the head.......all the people who made these signs weren't necessarily artists, although many of them were. They worked in porcelain sign factories and in most cases did good quality work. But just like today, you don't always get the best quality products every time. The expression "good enough for government work" comes to my mind. Small and sometimes consistent "errors" or mistakes are to be expected. These things were "disposable advertising" items that were designed to be viewed from a distance.

Richard
Haven't any of you shown up to work with a hangover? Or been in a hurry to leave on a Friday afternoon? Quality control is dependent upon many variables.
Can anyone please post the correct/authentic back side of one of these signs?
Or tell me, from most that I see on the web, they are light grey with what looks like spots of some kind. Probably from the rack. Is this correct?

Attached picture Mobiloil Gargoyle Sign.jpg
Could be the differences between sign companies or divisions of the same company w/ different manufacturing locations. Can only imagine how many of these sign Vacuum Oil ordered at one time w/ a deadline on delivery.
I was looking back through this thread trying to chase some information. No one ever said, what is the correct size for one of these rectangular Gargoyle signs?
19 1/2" X 24".. cool
Thanks Randy!!!!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk