Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: minuteman Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Mon Jun 16 2014 10:42 PM
ebay 131216853513

Its moving up fast but if you add things up you just may decide not to bid.

1. Found in Iowa (supposidly)
2. Seller seems to have a lot of reverse glass items from John Deere to you name it, and glass mirrors...all vintage of course.
3. Seller has one neutral for selling repop item and not saying so.
Posted By: pumpingethyl Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Mon Jun 16 2014 11:02 PM
Very EASY decision IMO...;)
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Tue Jun 17 2014 03:03 AM
I agree....

Attached picture $_57 (2).JPG
Posted By: redindianguy Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Tue Jun 17 2014 04:21 PM
very interesting good catch on the feedback Kim . Early painted would have more than likely been made in Toronto.No maker noted soooooooooo . Its not looking good .
Posted By: screamin flea Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Thu Jun 19 2014 12:04 AM
So this particular sign is a repo but they did make this style? The things that caught my eye was the "droopy" nose and the more pronounced back eye lash. But by all means I am still quite green in this hobby.

Flea
Posted By: redindianguy Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Thu Jun 19 2014 10:48 AM
I have yet to see in all my years a reverse glass piece but that does not mean they do not exist . I have a large number of red indian station pics and not one showing a reverse glass window . But again .............................
Posted By: junior25 Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Thu Jun 19 2014 11:22 AM
Here's my thought. If the company that made this piece clearly marks it as " Made for McColl-Frontenac Oil Co. Limited Canada" then why would this company not include their company name as the maker. Pride of craftsmanship is not evident here.
Posted By: henlovestoys Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Thu Jun 19 2014 06:44 PM
I am assuming this was made to be used in a light box. Am I correct?

Thanks,

Hen
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Fri Jun 20 2014 06:11 PM
Well, there are 8 bidders that have it up over $800 so far.
Probably one of those deals that we'll never really know the answers about.
Posted By: texacojoe Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sat Jun 21 2014 02:50 PM
Read the small print at the very end of the ebay description, tells you all you need know.
In my opinion this sign was made to fool but you know what they say about a fool and his money...
Posted By: wocopep Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sat Jun 21 2014 04:40 PM
I did not read that disclaimer until today. That lets the seller out of alot of things but still doesnt justify deception wether he is aware of it or not.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sat Jun 21 2014 05:05 PM
A disclaimer info is no excuse for Ignorance
Posted By: texacojoe Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sat Jun 21 2014 05:13 PM
Originally Posted By: wocopep
I did not read that disclaimer until today. That lets the seller out of alot of things but still doesnt justify deception wether he is aware of it or not.

Should not let the seller out of anything, he knows what he is selling, shows him for exactly what he is.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sat Jun 21 2014 06:08 PM
Here's sellers disclaimer;

"It is the bidders sole responsibility to determine condition, age, genuineness, value, or any other determinative factor. No items have been authenticated. Bidder shall be the sole judge of value. Bidder agrees that everything is sold 'AS IS', 'AS FOUND', or 'AS PURCHASED' and may not return any item. Payment is required within three days of the end of the auction. Due to the age of some of the items, not every single imperfection or flaw may be noted, but wear or obvious defects will be described in general or specific terms. ALL SALES ARE FINAL."

Intent is to deceive and shift responsibility. Seller's deceptive nature is further highlighted by the tiny font and all the spaces entered between the description. Have scroll down to see them.

After reading that BS most potential bidders would move on or at least I would.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sat Jun 21 2014 07:36 PM
Will that disclaimer standup to a refund thru PayPal?
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sun Jun 22 2014 10:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Will that disclaimer standup to a refund thru PayPal?

NO, it does not matter what is written or shown, if a buyer wants to return for a refund they pretty much get it.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sun Jun 22 2014 02:35 PM
Currently at a whopping $6300!!!!!
Posted By: indiananationals Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sun Jun 22 2014 02:42 PM
$9600 oh *****
Posted By: texacojoe Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sun Jun 22 2014 02:53 PM
WOW
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sun Jun 22 2014 03:20 PM
Well, for someones sake, I sure hope it was a real piece!
Posted By: wocopep Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sun Jun 22 2014 03:21 PM
UNBELIEVABLE!
Posted By: TJammer Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sun Jun 22 2014 03:41 PM
You would think, that if someone was about to spend $10,000.00 on a sign, they would have done a bit of research...

Seeing, that the originality of the sign cannot be truly authenticated by anyone here on OldGas, would lead me to believe that it's fantasy...

Maybe its real...but who knows....

The seller did not list it as original...but sure played with words in the ad...

I say...Shame on the buyer, for laying out that kind of cash on a questionable sign..

The big question is....if the sign cannot be proven, or disproven as authentic... would Ebay, or Paypal...refund money to anyone with buyer's remorse..
Posted By: minuteman Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sun Jun 22 2014 04:38 PM
Did someone say "A fool and his money"....you can bet at that price there will be more red indian "REVERSE GLASS" items coming on the market soon.....LOL
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sun Jun 22 2014 09:01 PM
& Just Maybe same seller!
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Mon Jun 23 2014 01:29 AM
Yep...the guys in Argentina and India are working on it already!
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Mon Jun 23 2014 02:12 AM
MAYBE they will do a better job w/ Glass than they have w/ Porcelain & Steel!
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Mon Jun 23 2014 03:24 AM
I think, they already have...this was, their first test sale! By the looks of it; it was a success.
Posted By: canadianoilguy Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Mon Jun 23 2014 08:13 PM
I know buyers need to beware, but sellers have some responsibilities too.

I sent a message to the seller asking him nicely to revise the ad to help buyers that are less educated.... unfortunately, no response to my message and no change to the ad. A truly amazing amount of cash for something that has yet to be verified. I hope for the buyers sake that he/she has a photo or info we don't have to prove us all wrong. smile
Posted By: indiananationals Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Mon Sep 15 2014 01:04 AM
Sold again but a lot less. Why would it sell for close to $10000 first time and then $500
Posted By: indiananationals Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Mon Sep 15 2014 06:06 PM
Anyone understand why sold so much first time then this time nothing
Posted By: redindianguy Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Mon Sep 15 2014 06:27 PM
?????? did this sign come back on again ??? Thanks
Posted By: advertologist Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Mon Sep 15 2014 06:36 PM
I don't see it listed... cool
Posted By: Curtisstewart Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Mon Sep 15 2014 07:18 PM
My dad said he saw it on again, this one looked to be in better shape.. Maybe it was the same one cleaned up????
Posted By: advertologist Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Mon Sep 15 2014 07:55 PM
here you go- 9100. less.. cool

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Indian-Motor...a-/131290059559
Posted By: indiananationals Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Mon Sep 15 2014 08:43 PM
Yea was same sign cleaned up I'm at a loss why would it bring $9600 the nobody care and it bring $500 where were all the buyers from the past auction
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Mon Sep 15 2014 09:14 PM
From the description:

"Vintage, old, rare, Red Indian Motor Oils reverse glass sign."

From the disclaimer:

"I am not an expert in this area and I am making no claims to authenticity; this item has not been authenticated. I don't know if this is authentic or a reproduction but certainly appears to be old and vintage with wear consistent with age. As stated in the description above, it is the bidders responsibility to determine age and genuineness, value and condition using the photos provided."
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Mon Sep 15 2014 09:21 PM
The seller is POS seller.

Look at sellers completed auctions for glass advertising and the wooden boxes. Another low life into ripping people off.
Posted By: redindianguy Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Mon Sep 15 2014 11:28 PM
Interesting . It sure cleaned up good lol . I do know of one original reverse on glass that exists . It is signed by the original artist and he worked for McColl Frontenac . That is the only legit one I know of , This piece was used for artwork only . Any maker would have signed his reverse glass if he was going to put " made for McColl Frontenac "
Posted By: indiananationals Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Fri Sep 19 2014 06:25 PM
I purchased this sign thought I would take a chance I received it today I'm no expert but am positive it is old glass if it is not real they did a amazing job on it cause it looks real to me as I said I'm no expert but the quality of it is top notch I am going to try and bring it to Indy to have Dan Matthews check it out if I can make the show
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sat Sep 20 2014 03:23 PM
Do us all a favor and engrave reproduction into that piece of glass.

Did you not check the sellers other items?

Just wondering, why would anyone of sound mind bid on that? I thought you were trying to rebuild trust in the hobby. Buying reproduction signs in the hopes of having someone authenticate it as real is not cool. Enough knowledgeable people have posted in this thread to convince a prudent individual away from it.

Also wondering why, you brought this post back to the top. Makes me question your motives. Circumstances don' make a man....they reveal him. Why would anyone who has suffered some of the criticism and loss of credibility and reputation that you have in the past throw himself into a situation involving an oblivious fake sign.

By your own admission you are no expert on glass signs. But you feel it is real. Your opinion has no weight because by your admission you don't have the skills to state whether it is real or not. Now, you are hoping that someone else who lacks the ability to authenticate that sign will make a similar statement so you can run with it. Not difficult to find so called experts who like to exaggerate their own abilities. Just like all the other fools that sell reproduction/fantasy signs on e-Bay as real and state I showed it to so and so and they said it's real. Now, you have once again shown yourself to be like those folks. Again, I ask; Why would you submit yourself to such a situation. Greed is a terrible thing, a human flaw that can never be erased from the DNA of those that are inflicted with it.

A few weeks ago you were having panic sales because of a medical issue with your child. Would have been wiser to save your money for rainy days and unforeseeable life events then fakes glass signs.

For the sake of the person you hope to rip off someday by the sale of this sign...I hope you drop it and it breaks into a million pieces.
Posted By: indiananationals Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sat Sep 20 2014 09:13 PM
Thanks so much for your opinions Dave like I said I decided to take a shot grow what I read on here nobody could confirm its authenticity or completely deny it in hand I assure u it has age the glass is old...I will show it to others to let them tell me what they think I feel Dan Matthews opinion means something he sells tons of very high end items...if he feels its not real it will hang in my house ..I will not try and sell it without getting better opinions so please don't try calling me out for no reason.
Posted By: indiananationals Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sat Sep 27 2014 06:38 PM
Showed it to Matthews & Morphy both was told it is definitely old they dated it 1950's and said they felt it was reproduced of one of the signs but wasn't something made the other day it had major age to it
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sat Sep 27 2014 09:50 PM
repro from 1950's or 1990's does not make a difference, still the same useless piece.
Posted By: Neil Gerrard Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sat Sep 27 2014 10:11 PM
Originally Posted By: indiananationals
] I read on here nobody could confirm its authenticity or completely deny it in hand I assure u it has age the glass is old...

Glass may be old but the paint ain't grin
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sat Sep 27 2014 10:14 PM
An old repro is a repro, as is a new repro is a repro! They are one in the same. They were never made for or used by the company they are labeled for, but are simply the product of someones imagination. A repro is a repro is a repro--plain and simple!
Posted By: bppierce Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sat Sep 27 2014 11:29 PM
Not a repro. Fantasy.
Posted By: indiananationals Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sun Sep 28 2014 01:45 AM
I still like it either way so no buggy to me I have a couple others that have offered me a pretty nice profit on it knowing it is a old fantasy piece.so I'm happy with it either way
Posted By: Neil Gerrard Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sun Sep 28 2014 02:45 AM
I have a couple others that have offered me a pretty nice profit on it knowing it is a old fantasy piece.so I'm happy with it either way

and that's what it's all about......or is it?
Posted By: BryceG Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sun Sep 28 2014 03:07 AM
without being properly marked as a fantasy piece... it is bound to fool an unsuspecting buyer in the future, even if you sell it for what it is.

if I was rich with unlimited funds, I'd offer you your money back just to have a shattering party with it at Iowa Gas next year... seems like something DB would be proud of.
Posted By: indiananationals Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sun Sep 28 2014 03:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Neil Gerrard
I have a couple others that have offered me a pretty nice profit on it knowing it is a old fantasy piece.so I'm happy with it either way

and that's what it's all about......or is it?

No I'm planning to hang it in my house right now is what I'm saying I'm happy with it for myself its not always about the money I have many items I could turn profit on but I like the so I hang onto them to display for myself
Posted By: redindianguy Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sun Sep 28 2014 06:11 AM
Guys the company only stopped using the Red Indian name around 1950 .I have calendars and pics of the signs up after 1946 . So why would anyone repro a sign in he 5o"s that makes NO sense . Someone out there knows the truth . Again I tell myself and other guys look at the old pics . Ask the old guys that lived it . Chances are you will make out alright .
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sun Sep 28 2014 08:57 AM
sit tight, surely it will be coming to an auction near you soon. whether ebay, kiji, local auction house, craigslist, facebook, etc. remember its ALL about the money
Posted By: junior25 Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sun Sep 28 2014 10:54 AM
It would take a darn good piece of hard evidence to convince me it's not a fantasy piece. No hear say or old timer talk for me on this one.
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sun Sep 28 2014 11:15 AM
I would sure hate to have some of these guys on OLDGAS sitting on a jury ,, GUILTY, without any evidence either way,, " It is what it is "... this is still a free country to buy what you like and do what you want,, not like some of those country's that are at war all the time. This is North America !!
Posted By: really Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sun Sep 28 2014 01:21 PM
Amen Wes.......whoever wants to spend their money on whatever is still legal...as far as I know anyway.
Posted By: BryceG Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sun Sep 28 2014 02:01 PM
i dont think anyone cares that Randy bought it... they just dont want to see it used to fool more people in the future - thats all.

imagine if no one ever bought or resold any signs from India... we wouldn't be in the situation we are now with those signs. the problem is, someone sees a heavy porcelain sign from India that they can get for $100 and they know that they can fool someone into paying $500 once they are selling it as a US-based seller. and then greed ensues.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sun Sep 28 2014 04:10 PM
Showed it to Matthews & Morphy both was told it is definitely old they dated it 1950's and said they felt it was reproduced of one of the signs but wasn't something made the other day it had major age to it

If, I was those guys...I'd be pretty angry that you had dragged my good name into your self serving greedy little venture.

Wasn't too long ago they were tricked by a Hobby Lobby Ford pail. They thought it was also from the 50's.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=554217&page=all
Posted By: indiananationals Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sun Sep 28 2014 06:07 PM
I'm not dragging anyone threw the mud at least they were nice enough to take the time to look at it I understand there will always be a few on here who are stuck in there ways with there hrsd up there ***** but I will not let u few bother me I have actually had multiple members on here contact me about this piece that really like it good or bad and have made offers to buy it as it is but right now I will probably hang onto it
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sun Sep 28 2014 07:53 PM
So far from what I have read on this blog, NOBODY has proven it to be repro or original so why do some have it carved in stone that it is repro,,, to me it's ok to have an opinion on whether it's original or repro.
BUT telling someone what they should buy or not buy and you hope he drops it and breaks it into a million pieces ? Really ?
Posted By: Watchdog9 Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sun Sep 28 2014 08:18 PM
Fellas--This has been a good discussion on this piece up until some of you let personal feelings take over.
If you want to continue discussion of the item, that is fine, but if personal issues continue, the thread will be locked.
Posted By: Mattgas Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sun Sep 28 2014 09:00 PM
All I want to say is that Dan Morphy and I told the man that it was not a period piece. It was probably made in the 1960's to the 1970's judging from the back of the item. We both told him it was not original piece. Dan
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Sun Sep 28 2014 09:57 PM
Thanks, Dan for your input.... And your "Clarification"; as to what was actually told to the Member about the piece by you and Dan...
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Mon Sep 29 2014 03:31 AM
Originally Posted By: Mattgas
All I want to say is that Dan Morphy and I told the man that it was not a period piece. It was probably made in the 1960's to the 1970's judging from the back of the item. We both told him it was not original piece. Dan

Caught in a lie again....

I believe Mattgas. Once again, original poster's version differs from what was actually stated. Simply put, some people can't be trusted and are not credible and will distort information to fit their personal needs/pad their wallets.

Like, I stated before; Greed is a terrible thing, a human flaw that can never be erased from the DNA of those that are inflicted with it.
Posted By: indiananationals Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Mon Sep 29 2014 08:06 PM
Man u really got me wow let's see I said they said it was old wow the did then I said they said it was a reproduction and they did boom dude u caught me man that was a huge lie ...wow I messed with the wrong guy( Sherlock Holmes) over here watch out I'm over arguing with u people like u are not worth the time I'm happy with it that's all that matters
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Mon Sep 29 2014 10:22 PM
You were told it "was probably made in the 1960's to 1970's". You related to us "was told it is definitely old they dated it 1950's".

They stated "We both told him it was not original piece". You claim "it is definitely old they dated it 1950's" "it had major age to it".

The above circumstances reveal a habitual l iar and someone who will distort factual information to fit and support their self serving motives.

Posted By: really Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Mon Sep 29 2014 11:18 PM
Where is that guy with the cool avatar of the dead horse getting beat?
Posted By: Watchdog9 Re: Reverse Glass Red Indian Sign - Thu Oct 02 2014 01:51 AM
This topic has disintegrated from a discussion about the merits of this sign, to personal feelings about each other. I'm locking the topic from further discussion, so lets move on to something else.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk