Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Steven C. Flying A Tydol Ethyl sign, Fake?? - Tue Sep 23 2014 07:52 AM
At first glance I originally dropped this in my watch list as real, but now taking a closer look I'm thinking fake.
The holes should be slightly more toward the outer edge should they not. More splitting the black line. Correct?
Also, is the diameter supposed to be 10"?? This is 9 3/4".
And of course a better example would have grommets.
A little help please.

Attached picture $_57.JPG
Posted By: Lors10 Re: Flying A Tydol Ethyl sign, Fake?? - Tue Sep 23 2014 01:57 PM
Fake
Posted By: BryceG Re: Flying A Tydol Ethyl sign, Fake?? - Tue Sep 23 2014 02:20 PM
Steve, you are correct about the position of the grommet holes, and the back is a dead giveaway also

and for size, 9 3/4 is correct
Posted By: Lors10 Re: Flying A Tydol Ethyl sign, Fake?? - Tue Sep 23 2014 02:28 PM
Just sold 3 tydol ethyl signs and none of them had white backs. All the backs had greenish color. Messaged the guy on ebay and he said it is an original. I responded saying I believe it is a fake and he never replied.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Flying A Tydol Ethyl sign, Fake?? - Tue Sep 23 2014 02:41 PM
9 3/4" diameter is correct... cool
picture of:

Attached picture therealmccoy.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1215[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_1216[1].JPG
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Flying A Tydol Ethyl sign, Fake?? - Tue Sep 23 2014 02:47 PM
Thanks Randy for always showing us "The Real McCoy" !!!
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Flying A Tydol Ethyl sign, Fake?? - Tue Sep 23 2014 03:02 PM
I'd have to agree fake as well. It has gotten where there are so many fakes out there, but the ones that try to artificially age these signs, must be using the same technique? If you look at the rust residue on these faked signs, you will see that it always looks the same. Real rust patterns just don't form like that!
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Flying A Tydol Ethyl sign, Fake?? - Tue Sep 23 2014 03:09 PM
Thanks to all!! I'm glad I looked closer at this one.
I totally see what your saying Kevin about the rust!!
Posted By: Man Cave Re: Flying A Tydol Ethyl sign, Fake?? - Tue Sep 23 2014 03:22 PM
This is a simple case of slight of hand...He is telling people its 9.75 inches which is making everything question and hope its real. I will 95% guarantee this sign in question is NOT that size and in fact is the same size as the one available for 33.95 in another listing shown here http://www.ebay.com/itm/TYDOL-ETHYL-FLYING-A-10-PORCELAIN-GAS-PUMP-SIGN-/150556533094?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230dde6166. Ask for a pic with it on a measuring tape. I see no rust...I see varnish dragged with a sponge and dried to look brown. I am so sick of these low lifes lying about where and how they obtained these repro signs. I sell repro...I call them repro...Anything other ends as what it starts as...A LIE. I mean really...How many people venture into germany and pick through sheds and barns and find piles of chipped signs in ENGLISH writing from before the war??? Common sense would go a LONG way.
Posted By: ddkinsey Re: Flying A Tydol Ethyl sign, Fake?? - Tue Sep 23 2014 05:22 PM
Well said Man Cave! I totally agree.
Reported
Posted By: gaswagon Re: Flying A Tydol Ethyl sign, Fake?? - Tue Sep 23 2014 10:01 PM
I hear you Man Cave, but going through eBay is the wrong route in my opinion. I've spoken with them in person as I have a contact in their fraud group. They don't have the resources to do anything about it, and they're not about to hire resources to handle something happening in a category that is "small potato's" compared to their other categories in terms of generating income for eBay. That's the unfortunate facts as they told me themselves.

I built my own site (I'm happy to PM the site to you) in hopes of creating an alternative to eBay for vintage items. If folks are truly "fed up" with eBay they will give it up and go somewhere else. I think there's lots of frustration with these fakes, but when it comes down to it everyone is willing to accept them as part of doing business with eBay. I'm really confused why most don't take their business elsewhere. There is an option now, and although it's not as BIG as eBay yet, it's a start that others can help grow into a great place for all. Interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this.... Thanks.
Posted By: Lors10 Re: Flying A Tydol Ethyl sign, Fake?? - Wed Sep 24 2014 02:36 AM
The seller changed his information about his FAKE sign
Posted By: ppd Re: Flying A Tydol Ethyl sign, Fake?? - Tue Apr 24 2018 04:56 PM
i got a question i got the same sign that is 9 3/4 what else do i look for besides the size to tell if its authintic or not guy i got it from says it is hes been doing it 40 years other people saying its a repo but the size is correct

Attached picture 20180412_214419.jpg
Posted By: ppd Re: Flying A Tydol Ethyl sign, Fake?? - Tue Apr 24 2018 06:23 PM
i got took on ebay for a few signs smh im kind of new to this any help would be greatly appreciated i cant beliece people try to pass these signs off as the real deal and say they are originals and someone who is new too this not knowing gets took for there hard earned money
Posted By: advertologist Re: Flying A Tydol Ethyl sign, Fake?? - Tue Apr 24 2018 07:10 PM
Josh,
it appears your sign matches the sign of subject,
always post picture of back of sign too be annualized .. ... cool
Posted By: yeley101 Re: Flying A Tydol Ethyl sign, Fake?? - Tue Apr 24 2018 07:58 PM
Sorry to say, it looks like the other two signs on the table are fake as well..... If they came from the same guy, that should tell you all you need to know about who you are dealing with.
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Flying A Tydol Ethyl sign, Fake?? - Thu Apr 26 2018 03:57 AM
There are two ways to tell if the Tydol Ethyl is repop from the front. One is the position of the holes. An original the holes go beyond the black line, the repop they stop on the black line. The lettering on an original is cream, the lettering on the repop is a yellowy cream.
Posted By: Stephenwarren30 Re: Flying A Tydol Ethyl sign, Fake?? - Fri Jul 19 2019 12:31 PM
I was reading over this thread on the Flying A sign and was confused. Was there consensus on if the sign of question was authentic or not?
Posted By: lancelot75 Re: Flying A Tydol Ethyl sign, Fake?? - Sat Aug 03 2019 10:30 AM
I currently own 2 10 inch flying a pump signs, one which is Flying A Gasoline and Flying A Super Extra pump plates.Prior to purchasing them I carefully researched them. These were bought on eBay. I have been extremely careful of anything I purchase on there site. My only advice is be diligent!
Posted By: Jhaas63 Re: Flying A Tydol Ethyl sign, Fake?? - Sat Aug 03 2019 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Stephenwarren30
I was reading over this thread on the Flying A sign and was confused. Was there consensus on if the sign of question was authentic or not?

It’s fake.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk