Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Steven C. $350 for a $50 can and some repop cardboard! Crazy - Mon Dec 08 2014 01:13 AM
This guy is laughing all the way to the bank with these! This is about the 10th or more of these he's sold. He's totally honest in that you are buying a repop piece.
I just can't believe people would spend this on repop cardboard. Well, actually, I guess it's real cardboard. grin

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-NOS-FULL...W-/261682677493

Attached picture Display.jpg
It keeps happening!Just saw a couple 2 gallons that sold for almost 3x what they should go for(a common Pure 2 gallon for $110!!!!)
Yah, I was watching that stripped one Luke. I like that can! But $100 was to much for me on it.
Posted By: nam5072 Re: $350 for a $50 can and some repop cardboard! Crazy - Mon Dec 08 2014 02:03 AM
Stupid people.
Originally Posted By: nam5072
Stupid people.

I think that's the wrong label--more like UNINFORMED!
For all we know, these buyers that pay too much, can be doing so for numerous reasons!
They are probably intelligent people, but severly uninformed when it comes to petroliana. In fact, a good percentage of the world is uninformed when it comes to valuation of these or any collectible. I count myself in with the uninformed, but I do a fair amount of research when contemplating a larger purchase.
A dollar says the new owner of that will come on here soon asking..."what's it worth?"
Most people probably do not read beyond the title which states:

Vintage NOS FULL 4 oz. SUNOCO Household/Handy OIL CAN DISPLAY

Plus I think he has the original display pictured not the repoped one...
Originally Posted By: nochevys
Most people probably do not read beyond the title which states:

Vintage NOS FULL 4 oz. SUNOCO Household/Handy OIL CAN DISPLAY

Plus I think he has the original display pictured not the repoped one...

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Now it may be very hard for some of you to believe I would do such a thing, but when he first listed one of these about 8-12 months ago, I wrote him, told him there was a group of us in the hobby always trying to fight unmarked reproduction, and I ask if he would be sure to label them with "reproduction", with a sharpy on the bottom. He said he understood exactly where I was coming from and would surely do so.
Has anyone here purchased one of these? I know many of them sold at a much more reasonable price point. If so, is it marked on the bottom at all?
Lol! Wes, wow, let it go man! It was between him and I. We had a polite exchange about it. I dont think he followed through, but oh well. You and I are obviously on different sides of this coin. And that's okay. No hard feeling on my end.
Well now, I dont know where it went, but that looks kind of funny now. My comment with Wes's removed.
Lets see now.. Just lost a Wareco 2 gallon on ebay in, say 7 or so condition, for $405.
Seems like it should be a $250 can right???
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk