Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: JUNK KING Metal faced Gasoline globe - Thu Jan 01 2015 03:37 PM
Ebay#171621692425
I've never seen one. Is it real?
Looks cool
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Metal faced Gasoline globe - Thu Jan 01 2015 03:42 PM
Yes, looks good to me. Early style gas globe from the teens, fits the "generic globe" category.
Darin
Posted By: texacokie Re: Metal faced Gasoline globe - Thu Jan 01 2015 04:04 PM
Yeah it is real.
Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Re: Metal faced Gasoline globe - Thu Jan 01 2015 04:14 PM
Don't see them for sale too often .
Posted By: JUNK KING Re: Metal faced Gasoline globe - Thu Jan 01 2015 04:26 PM
I figured it was but having little globe knowledge and never seeeing one thought I'd ask. Thanks guys.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Metal faced Gasoline globe - Thu Jan 01 2015 04:34 PM
metal globe lens of subject:... cool

Attached picture 1metglo.JPG
Posted By: BryceG Re: Metal faced Gasoline globe - Thu Jan 01 2015 06:06 PM
Real mccoy... here's mine:

Attached picture GasPunchedGlobe.jpg
Posted By: Highway66 Re: Metal faced Gasoline globe - Thu Jan 01 2015 10:08 PM
That's an awesome piece! I would love to have seen these in their glory.
Posted By: pumpingethyl Re: Metal faced Gasoline globe - Thu Jan 01 2015 10:28 PM
Originally Posted By: luminor89
That's an awesome piece! I would love to have seen these in their glory.

Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Metal faced Gasoline globe - Fri Jan 02 2015 03:19 AM
Thats a cool globe!
Posted By: BryceG Re: Metal faced Gasoline globe - Fri Jan 02 2015 04:01 AM
Great pictures Dennis, thanks for sharing
Posted By: BryceG Re: Metal faced Gasoline globe - Mon Jan 05 2015 11:40 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171621692425

Wowzer... hammer down $1713
Posted By: Highway66 Re: Metal faced Gasoline globe - Tue Jan 06 2015 12:48 AM
Not a globe guy, but wouldn't mind owning one of these someday. Thanks for the pictures Dennis!
Posted By: r49th Re: Metal faced Gasoline globe - Tue Jan 06 2015 01:44 PM
Not too long ago, somebody was selling reproduction, punched metal globe faces. I saw them on e-bay for awhile. So- keep that in mind if you come across any.
Posted By: BryceG Re: Metal faced Gasoline globe - Tue Jan 06 2015 02:21 PM
Originally Posted By: r49th
Not too long ago, somebody was selling reproduction, punched metal globe faces. I saw them on e-bay for awhile. So- keep that in mind if you come across any.

though... did they have smalts (sand/glass) on the face? cause the originals do. (well maybe not the ebay one since the condition its in)
Posted By: Highway66 Re: Metal faced Gasoline globe - Tue Jan 06 2015 03:02 PM
I've always wanted to see a smalts sign. Have never come across one yet.
Posted By: r49th Re: Metal faced Gasoline globe - Tue Jan 06 2015 03:37 PM
Bryce, the faces that were being sold awhile back were a round metal face that was punched and meant to go on a glass body. I think they were unpainted so the buyer could paint them the color they wanted.
I wonder what the purpose of the smaltz (sic) would be on a face that was meant to be lit. Smaltz was meant to act as a reflective material with an external light like headlights from a car.
Maybe they were supposed to be non lit globes under an island light?
Posted By: BryceG Re: Metal faced Gasoline globe - Tue Jan 06 2015 03:42 PM
could be that they aren't actually smaltz, but rather the sand paint type. I probably used the term smaltz a little too loosely... as I havent actually held a light to it to see if its reflective or contains glass.

but what I was trying to say, is that they have either a smaltz paint or sand type of paint, both of which are seen on early signs and usually not found on any repos that I have seen.
Posted By: JimT Re: Metal faced Gasoline globe - Wed Jan 07 2015 02:36 AM
They are/were for a 15 inch metal body. I bought these, unpainted, off ebay quite a few years ago and never did anything with them.

Attached picture IMG_0244.JPG
Posted By: Catauladave Re: Metal faced Gasoline globe - Wed Jan 07 2015 03:01 AM
I have a set also. They are as you say for a metal body. If the fabricator had angled the punch and left the piece attached, he could have made them closer to the originals. They are nicely done though and could be painted Matt Alvarez("rustoration")style to be quite attractive. Dave
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk