Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Wes Hague Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sat Feb 14 2015 10:58 PM
BEWARE,,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Porcelai...=item4190a11c94
Posted By: nam5072 Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sat Feb 14 2015 11:03 PM
Why would people bid on this garbage from India. Unreal.
Posted By: texacokie Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sun Feb 15 2015 03:31 AM
You can tell from the other ***** he has listed.
Posted By: Oil King Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sun Feb 15 2015 02:56 PM
This just popped up on another site and I am reposting the image which compares this ebay sign to an original. Good information to help some people like myself spot the differences between these fake signs and the real ones.

[img]http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd418/DBL_NKL/Forum%20Images/Red%20Indian%2036%20Inch%20-%20India%20vs%20Original.jpg[/img]
Posted By: Oil King Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sun Feb 15 2015 02:59 PM
I'm still learning this site and I am not very good at linking images so I will try this again. If it doesn't work perhaps one of you younger guys can fix this link so it displays the image properly.

Earl

[IMG]http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd418/DBL_NKL/Forum%20Images/Red%20Indian%2036%20Inch%20-%20India%20vs%20Original.jpg[/IMG]
Posted By: advertologist Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sun Feb 15 2015 03:46 PM
... cool

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd41...%20Original.jpg
Posted By: minuteman Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sun Feb 15 2015 05:25 PM
This sign even has the Vilas Enamel Sign Co. on it like originals. Holy Moly, get a dozen of those over here and hovoc will reign, hey Davey...
Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sun Feb 15 2015 07:26 PM
This along with a few other examples confirms, in my eyes at least, that there are many medium to large sized, double sided porcelain signs being repoped.
With the prices, it makes sense that there will be crooks trying to cash in especially since ebay makes it sooo easy for the foreign sellers to sell, in the US market, these ***** signs that are probably made by slave laborers! Very annoying and I hope people don't bid on this one!!
Posted By: advertologist Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sun Feb 15 2015 07:40 PM
reported, report this item advertised as 30's
it makes a difference... cool

ebay item # 281599351956
Posted By: eric grinder Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sun Feb 15 2015 08:22 PM
reported
Posted By: moore798 Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sun Feb 15 2015 08:32 PM
Why would ANYONE bid on a sign from INDIA?
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sun Feb 15 2015 08:35 PM
Kim, you will know the answer to this, this sign say's
Vilas Enamel Products Limited Cowansville QUE , did the original ones say "QUE" or "PQ"or what did it say ?
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sun Feb 15 2015 08:41 PM
Why would ANYONE bid on a sign from INDIA?

Simple,, most people don't care where it came from, only serious ORIGINAL collectors care and people on OLDGAS,, most buyers of this stuff are decorators, I've said this so many times on here... MOST buyers don't have $15,000 dollars for an original one, but everyone has $1500 or whatever it sells for..for a copy..
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sun Feb 15 2015 08:51 PM
Your WRONG Wes, the people spending $1500 or whatever are being conned into believing they are buying an original piece.

and very FEW have $1500. to spend on a fake.
Posted By: moore798 Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sun Feb 15 2015 08:53 PM
Wes,I would rather drive down the highway and throw the 1500.00 out the window.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sun Feb 15 2015 09:11 PM
or...a local crook will buy it and sell it as an original and meet up in a public place to complete the transaction. A lot of pickers would buy it thinking they were buying a $15,000 sign for a steal. Greed gets greed...

I wouldn't be so quick to throw that 1500 out the window...I'm still young and mischievous so I can think of a lot fun things to do in order to lose 1500.
Posted By: redindianguy Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Tue Feb 17 2015 02:14 AM
Originally Posted By: minuteman
This sign even has the Vilas Enamel Sign Co. on it like originals. Holy Moly, get a dozen of those over here and hovoc will reign, hey Davey...

Just saw this . Havent seen it but does not sound good
Posted By: redindianguy Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Tue Feb 17 2015 02:21 AM
Just looked there are obvious give aways as to why its not real . But Earl (oil king I think ) not good to put a site out telling them how to make their signs better and more accurate . If anyone wants to know how to authenticate red indian pieces . Ask some of the guys on here for private messages . Art has had fakes out on every valuable painting for a long time . Make sure you buy from a reputable collector or reputable auction house and you will never have a problem .
Posted By: canadianoilguy Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Tue Feb 17 2015 03:03 AM
Reputable auction house??? Name one! Hahaha. That sign is pretty scarey though.
Posted By: redindianguy Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Tue Feb 17 2015 12:00 PM
Yep and the only way to put this ***** down is all of us working together . That's how the sports cards , Art etc have beaten the reproductions . It sucks for sure . I have dealt a lot with ebay over the years . But I now notice that all the good pieces never see e bay anymore . So if a rare gem like a 3 foot red indian shows up there you know its junk especially from Mumbai
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Tue Feb 17 2015 12:17 PM
All those things that (Oil KING ) pointed out may or may not be right,,, I have about 15 pictures of RI signs on my computer that I have sold over the last 25 years and there aren't two the same.. There are always differences somewhere on them.. and not all of them have the makers name either.. some with a pointed nose , some with different braids and markings.. Buying from a reputable dealer isn't always a sure thing either because they also don't always know,, and can be fooled.. digging one out of a barn that has an inch of dirt on it from a collector that has either died or is just about dead MIGHT be a sure thing..lol... but only if he has had it since birth.. This collecting is not for the faint of heart anymore...
Posted By: redindianguy Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Tue Feb 17 2015 02:50 PM
There are always ways to prove a sign is legit . Most of the high end USA signs have been reproduced for years . Sure has not hurt their value any . There is a dating process that also can tell you age 100 % accurately , If there is any discrepancies . I got fooled once .But only when I bought a piece I wasn't educated on .
Posted By: Let er' Buck Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Tue Feb 17 2015 03:09 PM
Reported...
Posted By: Oil King Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Tue Feb 17 2015 07:07 PM
[quote=redindianguy] Earl (oil king I think ) not good to put a site out telling them how to make their signs better and more accurate. [/quote]

If the idiots in Bombay can't get one right from copying an original that they have in their hands, then what's a picture going to do? I mean seriously? Don't think for a second that the crooks over here don't ship them original signs to have copied. :blush:
Posted By: junior25 Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Tue Feb 17 2015 08:50 PM
Originally Posted By: redindianguy
There are always ways to prove a sign is legit . Most of the high end USA signs have been reproduced for years . Sure has not hurt their value any . There is a dating process that also can tell you age 100 % accurately , If there is any discrepancies . I got fooled once .But only when I bought a piece I wasn't educated on .

Exactly Dave. Research Research Research
Posted By: advertologist Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sat Feb 21 2015 03:24 PM
4 hrs too go, at 2550... cool
Posted By: Curtisstewart Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sat Feb 21 2015 05:20 PM
Wow now this is the first fake that has seriously fooled me, I'm no expert on red indian signs but I collect Canadian signs and I have never seen a Vilas stamp on a fake. Good to know tho, sign is scrap metal as far as I'm concerned
Posted By: redindianguy Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sat Feb 21 2015 06:13 PM
Originally Posted By: advertologist
4 hrs too go, at 2550... cool

Wow lol I wonder if his auctions are all rigged ?? every feedback is private . Its certainly interesting . I don't think he even showed the other side
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sat Feb 21 2015 08:21 PM
ya he did , it's the side with two fingers on it
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sat Feb 21 2015 08:23 PM
Well I don't mind admitting it, it has me fooled,, other than it's in India I would never know.. I have pictures of a lot of Red Indian signs in my computer and 4 of them are 3 footers and I can't tell the differences.. there isn't two exactly 100% the same with my eyes. must be getting to old for this hobby..

SOLD $3550
Posted By: Oil King Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sun Jul 12 2015 05:14 PM
Two more of these signs are being offered through private emails to Canadians collectors by one Johm Sehovic out of Ontario. They are the 36" DSP versions coming out of India with an Ink Stamp.

Poorly copied, and very easy to spot. See reference image linked on page 1 of this thread to see the images of this known fake. It is the exact same sign as illustrated on the left side of the comparison. Being flogged for $4500 each

Earl
Posted By: Oil King Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sun Jul 12 2015 05:17 PM
Here is the fake (left) versus original (right)

[IMG]http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd418/DBL_NKL/Forum%20Images/Red%20Indian%2036%20Inch%20-%20India%20vs%20Original.jpg[/IMG]
Posted By: junior25 Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sun Jul 12 2015 05:37 PM
It's true. I just arrived back from the 2 hour round trip of hoping to purchase the signs and both are India reproductions.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sun Jul 12 2015 07:52 PM
... cool

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd41...%20Original.jpg
Posted By: Oil King Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sun Jul 12 2015 09:18 PM
Thanks Randy. I'm kind of computer challenged and have trouble posting links and pictures. Also find it tough to edit anything here when it times you out very quickly.

That would be the suspect sign.

Earl
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Mon Jul 13 2015 12:55 AM
This a new post from the newest member of OLDGAS ( July 9 2015) re- 2 Red Indian signs in question.

Hi everyone, I'm a new member " JohnAngelfire "
Semi Retired Resort Owner
Hobbies: Vintage Gas Oil Signs
eBay User Name: 8218johns
Your Real First Name: John
Phone Number: 705-657-7674
Your Real Last Name: Sehovic

While searching for information on Red Indian Sign values I found an ad placed by Wes Hague last July for 3 signs and the 36 inch is identical to the 2 I have. The condition is not as good around the mounting holes and the Image is great.
I purchased a 50's cottage resort & marina that was falling apart in 2000 and in a locked room in the Boathouse there were 2 coke machines, these signs and others. Angelfire1.com shows the location and the new Boathouse.
Still trying to figure out how to post these 2 jfsehovic@bell.net

Attached picture 002 (3).JPG
Attached picture 004 (3).jpg
Attached picture 005 (2).jpg
Posted By: redindianguy Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Tue Sep 08 2015 02:24 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/36-Inch-RED-INDIAN-Gasoline-2-Sided-Porcelain-sign-/291559276957?

This guy is back . Now the story is he got them in Ohio on his way back from Florida .
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Tue Sep 08 2015 10:11 PM
Well, if he lied about the boathouse story, he will lie about anything. He's obviously just trying to gouge some poor soul for these. This is the problem with these darn reproduction signs!
Posted By: redindianguy Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Tue Sep 08 2015 10:54 PM
for sure ,there is a very small number of these known . If they are not coming from a reputable spot be wary . I had one sent to me today to authenticate . The fakes can be told, but again I am not going to put on the internet how to do it .
Posted By: redindianguy Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Tue Sep 08 2015 11:28 PM
Sorry guys . Do not want to sound like a know it all . Just have a passion for real Red Indian and the preservation of the real pieces .
Posted By: Stu K. Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Wed Sep 09 2015 12:34 AM
Nothing wrong with that.
Posted By: Scott Baselt Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Thu Sep 10 2015 02:40 PM
Originally Posted By Stu K.
Nothing wrong with that.

I agree !

Thanks for informing us about these repops. .
Posted By: cman Re: Red Indian sign FAKE !!! - Sat Nov 14 2015 07:29 PM
I hope nobody has purchased these signs it is good that people on here are sharing there information. I can say initially I looked into buying one of these signs I talked to the gentleman on the phone he told me the boat house story which he sounded genuinely truthful however once he had forwarded me the pictures it was Very obvious they were fakes now to find he has changed his story I think he bought these signs without doing his homework and now he is trying to recoup his money by sticking someone else with them and that's a shame he initially contacted me as a member of this site and this site not allowing reproductions one could perceive he must be legit? Or so I thought I seriously hope this member is not allowed to continue on this site after his charade has been exposed just goes to show do your due diligence before jumping into a sign purchase but if nothing else this experience helps sharpen your buying skills and Learn from it!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk