Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Dave's Garage Retirement - Wed Dec 14 2016 07:56 AM
My father was 43 years old when he retired. I was 17 years old at the time. Being naïve, I told him that I would retire at a younger age then him. I could have taken an early retirement when I was 41 years old. However, retirement is such a difficult decision to make. To take a pay cut and give up benefits while in your prime earning years requires a lot of soul searching.

In July of this year, I decided to retire. I’m still in my forties however, older then my father upon his retirement. I have no plans to return to the workforce, I always said; I would only retire once. I’m truly blessed, to have a wife who supports me in all my endeavours.

I retired with 28 years of service with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Here’s a few pictures of a younger me.

Attached picture Image.jpg
Attached picture Work Unform Interior Dodge Diplomat.jpg
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: Retirement - Wed Dec 14 2016 09:18 AM
Congratulations to you Dave on your retirement!!
Posted By: Bill jr Re: Retirement - Wed Dec 14 2016 10:23 AM
Congratulations on your retirement
Bill
Posted By: Bass Master Re: Retirement - Wed Dec 14 2016 10:40 AM
Dave, Congratulations on your retirement, enjoy it!!
Brian
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: Retirement - Wed Dec 14 2016 11:14 AM
Dave, Retirement allows you to do all the things you didn't have time for while you were working. You will find that your life will soon be very full. Congratulations and thank you for your service. Paul
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: Retirement - Wed Dec 14 2016 11:22 AM
Cool pictures! Congratulations on retirement!
Posted By: ECOman Re: Retirement - Wed Dec 14 2016 11:48 AM
Congrats Dave and thanks for your service
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Retirement - Wed Dec 14 2016 12:40 PM
Congratulations, Dave! I recommend retirement very highly. Hope everything works out great.
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Retirement - Wed Dec 14 2016 01:34 PM
Dave, Congratulations on your retirement! I retired last month and can completely recommend and endorse it! As a Canadian born individual (although now a naturalized American citizen) Thank You for your service in the Mounties. Best of luck in your retirement. Enjoy it, you earned it!
Posted By: AZ_66_Native Re: Retirement - Wed Dec 14 2016 01:52 PM
Congrats Dave, it's good to see your posts on OG again!
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Retirement - Wed Dec 14 2016 01:53 PM
Congrats Dave. My story is similar to yours (except the RCMP part). When my dad decided to retire he was 42 and I was 19 with one year of college under my belt. I hated school and he offered the family business for me to take over if I wanted it. Seeing how much he enjoyed retirement at an age where he could, I vowed to do the same. When my son graduated high school I was 45 and ready to slow down. His decision to follow in my footsteps made the decision for me to step down pretty easy. The giving it all up to him was the hard part but it worked out great for all concerned. Retirement is what you make it, I've never regretted a minute of it. I have got a lot of flack from my friends who always say how easy I've got it and how lucky I've always been. I guess I have been pretty lucky but I believe you make a good part of that luck yourself. Enjoy it while you can.....Gary
Posted By: richlube Re: Retirement - Wed Dec 14 2016 01:59 PM
how sweet it is
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Retirement - Wed Dec 14 2016 02:20 PM
Thank-you, my friends. I appreciate your good wishes and kind words.
Posted By: Nicole Re: Retirement - Thu Dec 15 2016 01:35 AM
That first image is a great portrait!

Congratulations on your well-earned retirement...
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Retirement - Thu Dec 15 2016 03:01 AM
Thank you, Nicole.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Retirement - Thu Dec 15 2016 04:30 AM
Dave, Congratulations on your retirement! Definitely a great accomplishment.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Retirement - Thu Dec 15 2016 05:49 AM
Thanks Braden.
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: Retirement - Thu Dec 15 2016 07:58 AM
Congratulations. Enjoy your free time.
Posted By: 67Chev4X4 Re: Retirement - Thu Dec 15 2016 07:58 AM
I retired on the first of January 2003. I didn't want to but my boss was trying to get rid of me. I was 65 years old. I got out of bed one March morning and looked out the window and went straight back to bed. There was a blizzard going on and the refinery had no such thing as snow days. Life was good. Enjoy your retirement, life is good. Mitch
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Retirement - Thu Dec 15 2016 02:23 PM
Retirement Dave? Hah I've been at your place... there's a good 20 years of work there. But it's a good work, eh! Hopefully you kept the Red Serge. Looks good on you.
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Retirement - Thu Dec 15 2016 04:12 PM
Congratulations There Dave, looked like a smart officer there almost like the sign.
Anyway, left UPS when I was 40, you and your dad were correct. Even If I made less money, life, health and the ability to do what You want is greater than staying with something you would prefer not to.
Hope that you will stay healthy and have the ability to further your life and family fun.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Retirement - Fri Dec 16 2016 06:46 AM
Scott. Free time, I don't know about that...I've never been busier, doing nothing. I know, that sounds like it makes no sense. However, I'm sure the retired guys know what I'm saying.

Fred, it was the move that made the decision to retire easy. Even, I didn't realize how much stuff I really had; till I had to move it all. I hope, it doesn't take me 20 years to sort through it all.

Craig, thanks for the kind words...I want one of those BF Goodrich Mountie signs but they're so darn expensive. There is a lot of experience and wisdom in your words.

Thank-you all for the well wishes.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Retirement - Fri Dec 16 2016 09:59 PM
Congrats on your retirement Dave! I expect your hobbies will take up so much of your time that you'll look back in a few years and wonder how you ever had time to work.
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Retirement - Fri Dec 16 2016 11:57 PM
Congrats Dave!
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Retirement - Sat Dec 17 2016 12:22 AM
Congrats for sure, dad retired 18 years ago and said he didn't know how he had time to work.
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Retirement - Sat Dec 17 2016 09:02 AM
That's awesome . May you new venture in life be a great one. More pumps , more cars and now more time to fix them up. Congratulations Dave !
Posted By: tbuckles Re: Retirement - Sun Dec 18 2016 12:02 PM
Congratulations on your retirement! I highly recommend it. It's been almost a year since I took the plunge and I can't believe how fast the time went. The strangest thing I've noticed is that it doesn't seem like I ever worked at the Postal Service, just a distant memory.

Enjoy and best wishes, Tom.
Posted By: JimT Re: Retirement - Sun Dec 18 2016 12:22 PM
Congratulations Dave. You seem to be a very fortunate man!
Posted By: gatorgaspumps Re: Retirement - Sun Dec 18 2016 02:46 PM
Congratulations Dave. Been 20 years since I retired. Had a barn full of unrestored pumps. Now I have a barn full of restored pumps. You will keep busy. If your ever down my direction stop by. Richard
Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave Re: Retirement - Thu Dec 22 2016 05:10 AM
Ahhh, now it's time for you to start breaking open those containers and get to restoring since you have a great shop to do it in!!!
Congrats Dave!!!!
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Retirement - Sat Dec 24 2016 07:36 AM
Thank you, for all the kind wishes. Means a lot to me!
Posted By: halehouse Re: Retirement - Sat Dec 24 2016 07:16 PM
Congratulations! If I could I would retire tomorrow. I've been teaching at the same school for 24 years and I figure I have 10 more to go. (Sigh.)

Enjoy!!!
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Retirement - Mon Dec 26 2016 11:16 PM
Thank-you, Dan. 24 years at the same school, that's cool. If, it's a grade school you are probably now meeting the children of your earlier students. You will have impacted 2 generations of those families as a role model...that must be very rewarding.
Posted By: halehouse Re: Retirement - Tue Dec 27 2016 07:09 PM
Yep. Elementary school. I haven't had any children of former students yet, but it could happen.

The children I had my first year teaching are now about 32 years old. Time flies!
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Retirement - Wed Dec 28 2016 06:14 AM
Congrats Dave. Can't wait to be in your shoes. Like Phil's dad said, "I don't know how I have time to go to work."
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Retirement - Wed Dec 28 2016 08:30 AM
Thanks, Steve!
Posted By: Alex Re: Retirement - Thu Dec 29 2016 05:02 PM
Dave: Congrats on the retirement. I didn't realize you were with the RCMP...being the son of Canadian parents I have always been proud of my heritage. Enjoy!!!!!!

Attached picture canadian-flag-heart.jpg
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Retirement - Fri Dec 30 2016 02:15 AM
Thank you, Alex.
Posted By: Wasatch Man Re: Retirement - Fri Dec 30 2016 04:14 PM
Congratulations Dave , I'm looking to retire in a few years as well . I have to be honest the thought of it seems a little strange and scary , so I hope to make the transition as good as you have. Good luck Peter
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Retirement - Sat Dec 31 2016 01:34 AM
Thank you,Peter.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk