Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Oldgas Latest Project Taking Shape - Fri Jul 26 2019 12:37 AM
Here I am doing the prep work to put up a fluted Revere island light on the far side of my garage. Got the wires trenched in and the retaining wall just about done. Almost ready for concrete in the hole. I'll start painting the pole while the base is curing.

I've only had the pole, harp and shade for over 15 years. About time it comes out of storage and into use.

Attached picture islandLightPrepWork.jpg
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Latest Project Taking Shape - Fri Jul 26 2019 01:33 AM
Only 15years? How did you decide where to put it that quick?😊. Lookin good. Be sure and post the final installation.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Latest Project Taking Shape - Fri Jul 26 2019 07:49 PM
Poured 900 pounds of bag premix concrete in the hole today. Now to clean up and let it cure. Turning my thoughts and efforts on getting the pole looking good.

Attached picture IMG_20190726_131844.jpg
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Latest Project Taking Shape - Sat Jul 27 2019 02:04 AM
We all have projects like that ! 🙂 Called Going to get at em jobs . Glad to see you making headway on it .That concrete is a killer at our age but the results will be well worth it .
Posted By: SODAMAMAK Re: Latest Project Taking Shape - Sat Jul 27 2019 03:51 PM
Looking good Jim. Lot of hard work.
Posted By: Done4 Re: Latest Project Taking Shape - Sat Jul 27 2019 04:21 PM
Nice job Jim, hope it was cool for you when mixing that concrete.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Latest Project Taking Shape - Sat Jul 27 2019 06:31 PM
Thanks for your comments, guys. This week had cooler temperatures and lower humidity. That made being outside really pleasant. Plus, that spot is in the shade all morning. Feels good to have that part of the project behind me. I bought a Wemo Internet connected dimmer switch on Amazon Prime day for the lamp in the harp.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: Latest Project Taking Shape - Tue Jul 30 2019 03:51 AM
Looks great Jim!!
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Latest Project Taking Shape - Tue Jul 30 2019 09:36 PM
The Revere pole's access cover was mangled. I have it straightened out pretty well. Thought that would be the hard part. Turned out that a pipe plug that was put in the top was tough to get out. Tried everything and wound up cutting it out in pieces with a hack saw. Paint is stripped. Ready soon to sand and prime.

Attached picture IMG_20190730_161712.jpg
Posted By: Done4 Re: Latest Project Taking Shape - Tue Jul 30 2019 11:25 PM
Fun, fun, fun, in the summertime.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Latest Project Taking Shape - Mon Aug 05 2019 10:13 PM
As you can see, the Revere Island Lampost is bolted down and is now operational. The light under the shade is remote dimmable, controlled by a Wemo app on my phone. The spotlights on top are motion activated.

Description: Revere Island Lampost
Attached picture IMG_20190805_164157.jpg
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Latest Project Taking Shape - Mon Aug 05 2019 11:13 PM
Jim, Nice job. That looks great!
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Latest Project Taking Shape - Tue Aug 06 2019 03:07 AM
Here's a photo tonight with the Revere pole light on the dimmed setting after dark. I can control the lamp on/off and dimming from my phone.

Attached picture IMG_20190805_210223.jpg
Posted By: J, Micieli Re: Latest Project Taking Shape - Tue Aug 06 2019 04:43 PM
Nice!
Posted By: Done4 Re: Latest Project Taking Shape - Tue Aug 06 2019 10:56 PM
Man nothing like a revere lite at night, way to go Jim.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Latest Project Taking Shape - Wed Aug 07 2019 03:29 PM
Beautiful!!
Posted By: Young's Union Re: Latest Project Taking Shape - Wed Aug 07 2019 04:21 PM
What equipment is required to wire in to use that WEMO app on your phone to control the light?
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Latest Project Taking Shape - Wed Aug 07 2019 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Young's Union
What equipment is required to wire in to use that WEMO app on your phone to control the light?

It sounds complicated, but really isn't. The keys to making an Internet connected switch work, are to have a good WiFi signal at the switch location and having a neutral wire available in the switch electrical box.

Basically, you just replace a regular switch with a WEMO or similar Internet connected switch. I used a WEMO Dimmer switch I got from Amazon. Pictured below. You can lightly stroke your finger along the row of dots on the switch face to control the dimmer level and tap the switch for on/off. From the WEMO smartphone app, you can also do those things as well as set schedules. Mine runs dusk to dawn (auto adjusted to correct time each day) at 1% dimmer power. I can make it brighter from my phone when I expect visitors.

The switch needs the black line and load wires, a ground wire and the white neutral wire to make its own little circuit to power the WiFi. If you don't have all those wires in your switch box, it just won't work out.

I ran two circuits out to the pole so one could control the light inside the porcelain shade and the other to separately power the motion spot lights on top. 12/3 w/ground

Use a WiFi device at the proposed switch location to see if you have a strong enough signal to be dependable at that spot. I didn't have a strong signal there 130' from the house, so I bought a new "mesh" router system that included 3 access points. That system gives us good WiFi all over the house, 2 garages, patio and the yard.

The switch setup is done through the app and usually goes well. WEMO's support site is pretty good. I couldn't find the dusk/dawn thing until I read the support page for schedules. If you get stuck, send me a private message or email and I'll try to help.

I did not trench in pipes to feed the water and air connections since I already have them at the garage. I do like the look they give the pole.

Description: WEMO DImmer Switch
Attached picture lightpole-switch.jpg

Description: Water and air connectors on the Revere pole.
Attached picture lightpole-fittings.jpg
Posted By: publicenemy1925 Re: Latest Project Taking Shape - Wed Aug 07 2019 10:47 PM
Very nice indeed!
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Latest Project Taking Shape - Thu Aug 08 2019 09:52 AM
Looks great Jim. I think they were originally controlled with iPhones in the 1950’s also 😂😂😂
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Latest Project Taking Shape - Thu Aug 08 2019 08:45 PM
Thanks for all your kind comments.
I rooted through my junk and found a short length of old red air hose to put on my Revere pole. Somewhere I have an old style long tire chuck to put on the hose.
I might start looking in garage sales for a length of vintage patina rubber water hose for the other side. wink

Description: Rubber air hose on Revere pole
Attached picture lightpole-airhose.jpg
Posted By: Young's Union Re: Latest Project Taking Shape - Sat Aug 10 2019 02:07 PM
Thanks for all the detail on the WEMO wiring. j
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: Latest Project Taking Shape - Mon Aug 12 2019 01:26 AM
Nice Revere light Jim. Looks great lit up.
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: Latest Project Taking Shape - Mon Aug 12 2019 02:24 PM
Looks great!
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Latest Project Taking Shape - Mon Aug 12 2019 07:11 PM
I have been watching your progress, looks great!
Also remember those great mornings you started!
Sure miss them!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk