Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Ryan Underthun The robbery. - Thu Jun 28 2012 10:09 PM
Ok, time to tell you all the story about a robbery that took place here at my auto body shop.

I hired a young guy after running an add for a week looking for an auto body tech. I interviewed probably 8-10 guys for the job. I decided to give the young guy the job. He spoke real well and claimed to have three years of auto body experience.

After two days of working, I knew that he had absolutely no clue as to what he was doing.... at all! I asked him one day to grab me a side cutters, and he brought me a vise grip pliers.

I let him go the next day, I was polite, just told him that he did not have the experience that I was looking for and good luck. Truth was that he was scoping out my shop to rob it.

Three days later (while I was at bowling) he broke into my office and stole a spare set of keys, a cash box and the keys to the cash box. I came home to the alarm system blaring and the cops at my property. It was clear that the police either did not want to do anything or couldnt do anything.

I started stalking the suspect, digging through his garbage and searching around looking for my cash box or keys. I also installed a camera system. I really spent alot of time following him around and getting ready to bait him. A week later I baited him into thinking that I was going to be away from the shop the entire day golfing with my dad. At 920 am I could see his car across the street at the firehall on my camera system. I had a buddy up the road with binoculars, and three sheriff deputies with in a mile of my place. I left the shop, CAMERAS ROLLING!!!

I was not gone for more than one minute and he was in my building again.

The cops gave him three or four minutes to "acquire" things. The busted in and arrested him. He had some stolen cash on him caught on camera. He also had the keys that were stolen on the Tuesday night robbery the week prior, linking him to that robbery as well.

Fast forward a month and a half. He was sentenced yesterday. Guess what he got. Three years of probation. Might I add he went on probation the day before he robbed me the first time. This is how our court system works, it protects the criminal. I have learned alot from this deal, that is for sure.

I have a bunch of videos of this, they will be on youtube soon, waiting for the OK from my attorney.
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: The robbery. - Thu Jun 28 2012 10:29 PM
Remember you telling me about when we talked.three year probation?that sucks! Next time,be in the shop with a 45 and say you feared for your life!
Posted By: TheRoyalCrown Re: The robbery. - Thu Jun 28 2012 10:36 PM
Can't wait to watch him get busted....but his sentence is the norm for first or second time offenders due to "overcrowding".
Posted By: tooter Re: The robbery. - Thu Jun 28 2012 11:53 PM
yep!

that's exactly how our justice system works!

but a could fart while jay walking and do 10 days!

go figure!

I had a guy(my brother...or should I say my parents other son) run me off the road while I was driving my 4 wheeler.
I called the sheriff....
2 weeks later I was fined 185.00 for riding a 4 wheeler on the road and guess what happened to him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ABSOLUTELY TRUE STORY!
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: The robbery. - Fri Jun 29 2012 12:12 AM
Ryan, I am truly sorry to read about the initial break-in and robbery.... I am angry that you got hit again and because of monetary restraints and over-crowding... You got "hosed" again...

I hope you don't have to put up with this ***** from this loser or any other loser like him, again....
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: The robbery. - Fri Jun 29 2012 12:40 AM
Ryan, Take the crook to Small Claims Court for Damages. Probably not worth your time & he might not have the funds to pay, but do it on principle. ASK FOR MAX $$$ allowed by court.
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: The robbery. - Fri Jun 29 2012 12:45 AM
If he took him to small claims court he would have to do the leg work to collect the amount of the judgement. depending how much he took might not be worth the time. To me it would be principle but sometimes your better off not chasing bad money with good. Sorry to hear about your issue.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: The robbery. - Fri Jun 29 2012 12:54 AM
That taught the guy a lesson, huh? He'll be back to his ways in no time.
Posted By: Notchcad Re: The robbery. - Fri Jun 29 2012 01:02 AM
Man!!!! How did you keep from assault?
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: The robbery. - Fri Jun 29 2012 01:07 AM
Judge put him on Probation w/ No Restitution for 1st Break in?
Judge ought to be thrown in Jail! Could have at least given him 40-100 Hours of Community Service [Cities/Counties need all the FREE Help they can get].
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: The robbery. - Fri Jun 29 2012 01:25 AM
Originally Posted By: notchcad
Man!!!! How did you keep from assault?

Cool head (from dealing with all of you guys, LOL) Just kidding.

I put faith in the justice system. Fail on my part. Like I said, I learned alot, my actions will be much different next time.

Give me a couple days and I will post up the videos.

I am heading out to drag race my boat in the morning down in Iowa.... so if you want to rob me.... LOL
Posted By: LC 336 Re: The robbery. - Fri Jun 29 2012 01:53 AM
Sorry to hear that Ryan, nothing is worse than someone stealing your property, especially from a place where you make your living.

No matter how frustrated we get, we have to keep faith in the justice system. If this is he demeanor he'll continue until he is in jail or beyond. Unfortunately your a stepping stone to his end result.

"I am heading out to drag race my boat in the morning down in Iowa.... so if you want to rob me.... LOL"

The heck with that, I want to see the speed boat in action!!! LOL
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: The robbery. - Fri Jun 29 2012 02:18 AM
Originally Posted By: LC 336
The heck with that, I want to see the speed boat in action!!!

Bet he ain't got any Oranges in it Lee!
Last year I added 5 cases of Navel Oranges & a 1/2" nylon rope to hold rear on trailer.
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: The robbery. - Fri Jun 29 2012 10:31 AM
One more thing. If any of you are thinking about getting a camera system, I would highly recommend the samsung system. They make two different ones that are available at sams club. They have a four camera system for 499.00 and a 6 camera system (that you can add 2 more cameras to for a total of 8) for 799.00. All the cameras are infrared and run off an ethernet cable. The system has the capability to view the cameras from your smart phone or internet connection while you are away.

Best part is the clarity and resolution. The sheriff deputies were amazed at how clear the picture was, they said it was better than most banks. Money well spent in my opinion. If somebody backs into your driveway while you are gone and loads up some pumps and sings, you will be able to read their license plate.

Thanks for all the kind words concerning my robbery, it really means alot. Trust me it really sucked getting violated like that.

I am off to the great state of Iowa (I will be there again in a month, LOL) I will get some videos of my boat running while I am there. I took it out last night for a test run and it is running hard.

Boat should be capable of running around mid 90's in 600 feet and well into the 120's low 130's in the quarter mile. I am not going to run it that fast this weekend, I think I am going to enter into the 90 mph class bracket and keep it slow!
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: The robbery. - Fri Jun 29 2012 12:51 PM
You should post the scumbags name,when you post the vid.
He's a publicaly known offender now,and should warn others.
Posted By: LC 336 Re: The robbery. - Fri Jun 29 2012 05:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Originally Posted By: LC 336
The heck with that, I want to see the speed boat in action!!!

Bet he ain't got any Oranges in it Lee!
Last year I added 5 cases of Navel Oranges & a 1/2" nylon rope to hold rear on trailer.

Yea no oranges, but it will be going a lot faster than when you pulled our block party around the neighborhood last year.LOL
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: The robbery. - Fri Jun 29 2012 07:43 PM
Ryan shared a little bit of this story with me several months ago when I was crying about being stolen from.
I hate they didn't do more to this jerk,but that seems to be the norm. Maybe it will all catch up with him at some point.
Posted By: always lookin Re: The robbery. - Fri Jun 29 2012 08:05 PM
KEEP THE CAMS ROLLING.. he will be back. Criminals are stupid.
Posted By: Nicole Re: The robbery. - Fri Jun 29 2012 10:48 PM
Does he own a home? Or a car? Can you sue him for punitive damages? Hit him in the pocketbook? Or will that make you more of a target?

Maybe not worth your aggravation...
Posted By: toychaser2005 Re: The robbery. - Fri Jun 29 2012 11:45 PM
lmao @ criminals are stupid
Posted By: Ron Cabanayan Re: The robbery. - Sun Jul 01 2012 03:14 AM
Sorry, man. I understand your frustration with our legal system at times. But don't give up all hope and don't even think of taking the law into your own hands. Just keep a little faith.

Ya know, as of July 1 in California, it's illegal to eat foie gras (duck and goose liver) but you can smoke a joint in public.

At least you got the guy caught and you're that much wiser now.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: The robbery. - Sun Jul 01 2012 05:07 AM
NY Judge gives Harassing kids on school bus community service w/ Seniors & suspended them for a year, but judge in Mn gives a 2x thief probation!
Mn. judge should be jailed for lack of better judgement.
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: The robbery. - Sun Jul 01 2012 06:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
NY Judge gives Harassing kids on school bus community service w/ Seniors & suspended them for a year, but judge in Mn gives a 2x thief probation!
Mn. judge should be jailed for lack of better judgement.

probably 3x convicted theif,as he was put on probabtion the day before he rob Ryans shop the 1st time.
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: The robbery. - Mon Jul 02 2012 11:13 AM
Originally Posted By: Loyd Pierce

probably 3x convicted theif,as he was put on probabtion the day before he rob Ryans shop the 1st time.

Funny thing about that is he has a record a mile long. Three days before he was sentenced, he broke into a car and got caught jacking car audio equipment. These "journeyman" thieves know that they are not going to do time, so why would they quit? It is really sad what out judicial system has come to.

About three weeks after he was caught here, the prosecutor called me up and wanted me to drop the felony charges so that he could be rehabilitated. Looks like the rehabilitation is working. But then again, what do I know.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: The robbery. - Mon Jul 02 2012 01:22 PM
rehabilitation him in Jail
Posted By: Ron Cabanayan Re: The robbery. - Mon Jul 02 2012 08:54 PM
yeah, rehabilitated by the other thiefs on how to be better at not getting caught. Or, how to be better at manipulating the juditial system.
Posted By: TheRoyalCrown Re: The robbery. - Mon Jul 02 2012 11:57 PM
They started a rehab program down here where I am. It trains them in welding and other skilled jobs all paid for by private funds and no public funds.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk